╌>

Trump's Madman Rush To Get Rid Of Health Care For Millions

Category:  Op/Ed

By:  john-russell  •  5 years ago  •  70 comments

Trump's Madman Rush To Get Rid Of Health Care For Millions
Knowing what we know about Trump, no one in their right mind thinks he has a replacement plan today, or ever will. If there is a replacement plan it will come from someplace other than Trump and his administration.

The "rush" is to solidify his base. Trump knows that the vast majority of his supporters oppose Obamacare , in many cases simply because it recalls the previous president. The election to decide whether or not he will continue in office past 2020 is coming in about 18 months, and Trump wants to get all his "deplorables" into the basket and ready to vote him back in. He can now spend the next year and a half telling rallies that his administration is trying its darnedest to get rid of Obamacare. Because he doesn't have the foggiest idea what might replace it, he has postponed any concrete talk of a replacement until after the election.

Attorney General William Barr told a questioner at a congressional hearing this morning that he has given no thought to the ramifications to the American people if the Justice Dept. efforts to make the ACA illegal are victorious in court. Barr wants to wreck Obamacare simply because Trump told him to. When asked by the questioner what will happen to the millions of people who get their insurance through Obamacare if the program is ended , Barr simply said that he understands that the president has a plan for something that will replace it.

Knowing what we know about Trump, no one in their right mind thinks he has a replacement plan today, or ever will. If there is a replacement plan it will come from someplace other than Trump and his administration.

I have a family member who gets her health insurance through the ACA specifically because she has a pre-existing condition and the ACA prohibits charging people like her more for insurance or denying them coverage altogether. People like her are now put in a worrisome and stress inducing limbo as they watch a court case proceed which could end their health insurance without something in place to replace it. She didnt do anything to deserve this.

Trump doesn't care about the American people, he cares about aggrandizing himself and staying out of jail. Oh, and money for himself.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  author  JohnRussell    5 years ago

William Barr makes for a good lackey, judging by his performance at a hearing today.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2  It Is ME    5 years ago

"I have a family member who gets her health insurance through the ACA specifically because she has a pre-existing condition and the ACA prohibits charging people like her more for insurance or denying them coverage altogether."

Shoulda had "Health Insurance" before ya got sick then. jrSmiley_99_smiley_image.jpg

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  It Is ME @2    5 years ago

She did. That was a long time ago. The company through which she had health insurance went out of business a few years ago. When buying new insurance she chose an ACA plan for the reasons I gave in the article.

Come up with better points, will you please.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1    5 years ago
She did. That was a long time ago.

Your article says nothing of the sort ! jrSmiley_98_smiley_image.gif

Link ?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.2  author  JohnRussell  replied to  It Is ME @2.1.1    5 years ago

From around 1990 until 2015 my sister had health insurance through a company.  She was diagnosed with  Multiple Scerlosis in 2001. After she lost the health insurance due to the company closing she chose to get a plan through the ACA because they couldnt deny her for a pre-existing condition and because they didnt charge higher premiums for people with pre-existing conditions.

I didnt see the need to lay all that out in the article.

luther28
Sophomore Silent
2.2  luther28  replied to  It Is ME @2    5 years ago
"I have a family member who gets her health insurance through the ACA

Sounds as though she did prior to her illness, more of a case of just trying to keep it.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.2.1  It Is ME  replied to  luther28 @2.2    5 years ago
Sounds as though she did prior to her illness

ACA hasn't been around that long. Since 2010 or 11, or somewhere in those years.

Did the "One" get sick before Obamacare ?

So NO, they DIDN'T have any insurance before then. jrSmiley_80_smiley_image.gif

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.2.2  author  JohnRussell  replied to  It Is ME @2.2.1    5 years ago

[deleted]

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.2.3  It Is ME  replied to  JohnRussell @2.2.2    5 years ago

removed for context

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
2.3  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  It Is ME @2    5 years ago

Shoulda had "Health Insurance" before ya got sick then.

I bet you have family members in the same boat.  Are you such an insensitive jackass regarding their situations as well, or do you only feel that way about other people's sick relatives?

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.3.1  It Is ME  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @2.3    5 years ago
I bet you have family members in the same boat.

Nope !

We have all been responsible Citizens FOR our country !

We don't look for "What our Country can do for us" !

We always look FOR "What we can do for our country" !

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.3.2  Tessylo  replied to  It Is ME @2.3.1    5 years ago

What is it that YOU do for your country ? ! ? 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.3.3  It Is ME  replied to  Tessylo @2.3.2    5 years ago

I just explained a portion of what I do. jrSmiley_78_smiley_image.gif

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.3.4  Tessylo  replied to  It Is ME @2.3.3    5 years ago

Nothing ?

Got it !

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.3.5  It Is ME  replied to  Tessylo @2.3.4    5 years ago
Nothing ?

Actually …. I contributed Something as was explained.

And what have YOU done so far ?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.3.6  Tessylo  replied to  It Is ME @2.3.5    5 years ago

Which was NOTHING !

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.3.7  It Is ME  replied to  Tessylo @2.3.6    5 years ago
Which was NOTHING !

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Again ….. What have you done FOR the country YOU live in ?

Don Overton
Sophomore Quiet
2.4  Don Overton  replied to  It Is ME @2    5 years ago

Don't ever get a major illness IIm because standard insurance doesn't cover it all and you would  pass away trying to pay it all off

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.4.1  It Is ME  replied to  Don Overton @2.4    5 years ago
Don't ever get a major illness IIm because standard insurance doesn't cover it all and you would  pass away trying to pay it all off

Been there ! Insurance was great !

Saw the paper work on how they got the Hospital to substantial reduce their overall bill too. Kinda makes ya wonder why folks are always going against a company that can actually reduce the overall health costs huh.

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
3  livefreeordie    5 years ago

I want the repeal of Obamacare, Medicare, and Medicaid.  The government should not continue to control healthcare decisions 

this has been the ongoing goal by the left to enslave us to the State with their love of Marxist forced collectivism 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.2  Tessylo  replied to  livefreeordie @3    5 years ago

You paid into but don't use it.  How stupid is that?

Don Overton
Sophomore Quiet
3.3  Don Overton  replied to  livefreeordie @3    5 years ago

How old are you?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4  Texan1211    5 years ago

"The rush is to solidify his base".

And all along, the Trump haters have been claiming that his base will believe anything and never waiver in their support for the American President.

That is illogical, but I suppose it meets most of today's journalistic "standards", such as they are.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
4.1  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Texan1211 @4    5 years ago

Then answer the simple question Tex..... Where the hell is Trumpcare at this point?  Where's even the basis of a plan that could show us how we cover more Americans at a lower cost?  (hint.... there never was one.)

To jog your memory:

“We’re going to have insurance for everybody,” Trump said in an interview with The Washington Post. “There was a philosophy in some circles that if you can’t pay for it, you don’t get it. That’s not going to happen with us.”

As he campaigned for the White House that he declared in an interview with CBS’ “60 Minutes”: “I am going to take care of everybody … Everybody’s going to be taken care of much better than they’re taken care of now.” More recently, Trump has promised that repeal will end with “ a beautiful picture.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.1  Tessylo  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @4.1    5 years ago

He's not going to do anything about healthcare until 2020.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @4.1    5 years ago
Then answer the simple question Tex..... Where the hell is Trumpcare at this point? Where's even the basis of a plan that could show us how we cover more Americans at a lower cost? (hint.... there never was one.)

Don't know. don't care about Trumpcare any more than I do about Obamacare.

Personally, I don't think govt. should be involved in the healthcare insurance business. If govt. wants and insists on being so involved, I would prefer it to provide the actual care and not deal with any insurance  at all.

What does that have to do with what I posted?

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
4.1.4  FLYNAVY1  replied to    5 years ago

First problem is going to be finding a group of republicans that will honestly work on behalf of the American people to resolving the healthcare issue.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
4.1.5  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.3    5 years ago

What does that have to do with what I posted?

Not a damn thing Tex, I asked you a question and you answered it.  Your answer was quite telling too.  Thanks for the honesty.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.7  Texan1211  replied to  Have Opinion Will Travel @4.1.6    5 years ago
Precisely you get government involved in virtually anything particularly healthcare and you know we’re screwed. I don’t want Trump care, I don’t want obummer care I don’t want anybody’s freaking care. Used to be a time in this country when people sought to take care of themselves and now all you got is a bunch of douche bags running around telling the government I want this I want that and then they import the frickin Third World here and then they say let somebody else pay for it, pisses me off to no end

Did you hear about the big Medicare fraud bust today? about $1 billion worth. And only about 20% of the population is on Medicare. Just imagine the waste if Democratic "dream plan" of Medicare for all goes through!

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
4.1.8  Ronin2  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @4.1.4    5 years ago

So why haven't Democrats fixed what is wrong with the PPACA?  Nothing is stopping them. But they have no reason to; their corporate masters at the insurance and big drug and pharma don't want them to.

Of course Republicans have the same masters- so we are all screwed.

There is no interest in providing a health care system that works; because that would reduce profit. 

Of course I have to agree with Texan1211 in post 4.1.3

Personally, I don't think govt. should be involved in the healthcare insurance business. If govt. wants and insists on being so involved, I would prefer it to provide the actual care and not deal with any insurance  at all.

Health insurance is not health care. If the government wants to get involved then they should offer universal access to government managed hospitals and doctors (paid for by the taxpayer). Remove insurance completely from the issue. This would allow all US citizens to have at least some access to medical attention regardless if they have insurance or not. People would still be allowed to carry private health insurance that would cover trips to privately managed hospitals and doctors.

If the left is correct the government managed hospitals and doctors will drive down the costs involved with the private hospitals and doctors, and also insurance costs. If the right is correct- the government managed hospitals and doctors will be a massive, dysfunctional, boondoggle that will drain the tax payers dry. Frankly, given the current level of stupidity on both sides the second more likely to occur.  

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
6  Bob Nelson    5 years ago

Why do Republicans want people to be vulnerable?  Simple: vulnerable is docile.

Republicans want the proles to stay vulnerable and docile.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1  Texan1211  replied to  Bob Nelson @6    5 years ago

False.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
6.1.1  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Texan1211 @6.1    5 years ago

No, I'd say Bob is on target.  Is it your stand that not every American should have access to medical care?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @6.1.1    5 years ago
Is it your stand that not every American should have access to medical care?

Not even in the same universe to what I really stated.

Please don't pull that crap with me.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
6.1.4  Bob Nelson  replied to  Texan1211 @6.1    5 years ago
False.

OK... then why do Republicans want to make Americans more vulnerable?

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
6.1.5  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Texan1211 @6.1.2    5 years ago

Tex it's not crap I'm pulling.... In another seed long ago, and far, far, away, you stated you don't care about Trumpcare, or Obamacare. 

You're an intelligent, and engaged person, whom I know if we were sitting next to each other at a bar, we could have solid meaningful discussions.  The simple question becomes, do we as Americans have the responsibility to be our brother's keeper? 

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
6.1.6  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Have Opinion Will Travel @6.1.3    5 years ago

[DELETE]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1.7  Texan1211  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @6.1.5    5 years ago
Tex it's not crap I'm pulling.... In another seed long ago, and far, far, away, you stated you don't care about Trumpcare, or Obamacare.

Sorry, I think it is crap when you ask an inane question like this:

Is it your stand that not every American should have access to medical care?

I stated that I don't want govt. involved in the healthcare insurance business.

Why have insurance through the govt. when the govt. can simply provide the services?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1.8  Texan1211  replied to  Bob Nelson @6.1.4    5 years ago
OK... then why do Republicans want to make Americans more vulnerable?

Simple. They don't. Why do you believe everything people tell you?

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
6.1.9  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Texan1211 @6.1.7    5 years ago

I'm sure we will both will agree that the cost for whatever kind of healthcare is going to cost money.

I'm also sure that we will both agree that like at big box stores, if we buy our healthcare in volume, the costs should go down.

As an example, the underfunded VA spends 5% of it's budget on administrative costs.  A typical private insurance company lists it's administrative costs at upwards of 20%.  At what point does greed and profit taking have a negative impact on both the quality and quantity of medical treatment that can be provided? 

All I'm after is getting the most Americans covered, with the best care we can provide them at the lowest cost.  I would say we would both agree on that point too Tex.   

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
6.1.10  Bob Nelson  replied to  Texan1211 @6.1.8    5 years ago

If Republicans don't want to render all us proles vulnerable, why do they work so hard at destroying everything thar might render our lives less fragile?

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
6.1.11  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Texan1211 @6.1.8    5 years ago

Actions speak louder than words Tex...... Why are republicans so hell bent on getting rid of a bad system, without first developing a better system to replace it with?

How many votes did the Paul Ryan run House of Representative take to overturn the ACA without having a better system devised?

Kavika
Professor Principal
6.1.12  Kavika   replied to  FLYNAVY1 @6.1.9    5 years ago

The figure that, IMO, is the important one is what % of GNP is health expenditures. 

The US is 17.9% and Australia is 9.5%. 

Australia has ''socialized'' medicine and it's quite good and I have experienced it first hand when I lived there. 

The US, by far, spends the largest % of GNP on health expenditures. 

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
6.1.13  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Kavika @6.1.12    5 years ago

Right in line with your experience Kavika is what is going on here in Germany.  My wife and I got first rate service out of the public system here both times we made use of it. This all happens while spending just about half of what the US spends per person per year for healthcare and covering all 82 million of its citizens. 

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
6.3  Ronin2  replied to  Bob Nelson @6    5 years ago

Why do Democrats want people to have a false sense of security?

Most people, even those getting subsidies from the government, cannot afford premiums to get beyond a bronze plan (though to get "cost-sharing reductions you have to get a silver plan). 

When you compare plans in the Marketplace, the plans appear in 4 “metal” categories: Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Platinum. The categories are based on how you and the health plan share the total costs of your care.

Generally speaking, categories with higher premiums (Gold, Platinum) pay more of your total costs of health care. Categories with lower premiums (Bronze, Silver) pay less of your total costs. (But see the exception about Silver plans below.)

So how do you find a category that works for you?

• If you don’t expect to use regular medical services and don’t take regular prescriptions: You may want a Bronze plan. These plans can have very low monthly premiums, but have high deductibles and pay less of your costs when you need care.
  • If you qualify for "cost-sharing reductions" : Silver plans may offer good value. If you qualify for extra savings ("cost-sharing reductions") your deductible will be lower and you’ll pay less each time you get care. But you get these cost-sharing reductions ONLY if you enroll in Silver plan. If you don’t qualify for extra savings, compare premiums and out-of-pocket costs of Silver and Gold prices to find the right plan for you.
  • If you expect a lot of doctor visits or need regular prescriptions: You may want a Gold plan or Platinum plan. These plans generally have higher monthly premiums but pay more of your costs when you need care.

So, the majority are stuck with plans with very low premiums; but very high deductibles and co-pays. Which is great, so long as you never need to use the insurance. For people living pay check to pay check an unexpected medical expense with a high deductible can still result in bankruptcy. I have heard many on the left claim- just get a loan. What bank is going to loan someone money with a medical condition, that might not be able to continue to work?  Also, while insurance companies cannot drop anyone for medical conditions- they can, and will, drop anyone that misses a premium payment.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
6.3.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  Ronin2 @6.3    5 years ago
Why do Democrats want people to have a false sense of security?

What "false" sense of security are you talking about? Universal health care gives people a genuine sense of security.

Europeans are mystified by the idea that a person might lose everything because of a health problem. They are serene in the knowledge that while they may have a health problem, it would not be compounded by financial ruin.

Why do Republicans not want that serenity for the American people?

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
7  bbl-1    5 years ago

Conservatives do not want to end health care.  Rather, in conservative thought, not everybody deserves it.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.1  Texan1211  replied to  bbl-1 @7    5 years ago

False.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
7.1.1  bbl-1  replied to  Texan1211 @7.1    5 years ago

prove it

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  bbl-1 @7.1.1    5 years ago

If you can point out one single piece of legislation where the GOP tried to deny healthcare to any citizen, go for it.

Otherwise you have done nothing but make a false statement totally unsupported by a shred of freaking evidence.

If I said that Democrats want to force abortions you would demand proof, and rightly so.

This is the same--you made a silly comment and got called out on it.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
7.1.3  bbl-1  replied to  Texan1211 @7.1.2    5 years ago

prove it

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  bbl-1 @7.1.3    5 years ago

You are boring me now.

Don Overton
Sophomore Quiet
7.1.5  Don Overton  replied to  Texan1211 @7.1    5 years ago

Truth you just don't want to admit it.  Trump followers are easy to see right through

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8  Texan1211    5 years ago

Dems want more of this:

"Feds break up $1.2 billion Medicare orthopedic brace scam"

The govt. is doing a fine job of overpaying with less than half the country even enrolled.

Damn pitiful, and now you want the govt. to control all health plans?

Talk about freaking insane!

cms5
Freshman Quiet
8.1  cms5  replied to  Texan1211 @8    5 years ago

I realize that many have pre-existing conditions and they need Health Insurance...but who is supposed to absorb the costs of their coverage? Pre-existing conditions require much more care than wellness visits...so who pays? Under the PPACA it was supposed to be the young and healthy...along with limited high risk pools. That didn't work...so who pays? Is it really unreasonable to charge someone with a pre-existing condition more in premiums?

A simple Act can force insurers to cover pre-existing conditions...but when dealing with a Private Industry Product, can they regulate premiums charged for that coverage? Can they regulate deductibles? Perhaps they can grandfather some aspects of the PPACA market plans until they arrive at a solution.

It's time to address the actual drivers of increasing costs of Health Care in this Nation...Hospitals, Health Care Providers and Pharmaceuticals. Costs for Health Care in one state can be minimal compared to another state...why is that? It's the same type of care. An appendectomy is an appendectomy. An MRI is an MRI. Instead of trying to level out and over-regulate a Third Party Providers Product...level out the costs of HEALTH CARE. Attack ALL sides of this monster.

Add personal incentives. We are all currently paying premiums...strike that, most of us are paying premiums for Health Insurance. For those who rarely use Health Insurance...put a certain amount into a Health Savings Account that doesn't expire and is transferable upon death. The Account can be used to meet deductibles or pay for prescriptions...upon death, it goes to a beneficiary and gets added to their account. Allow individuals to be responsible for spending from those accounts.

Bernie is touting a New Medicare for All plan...get rid of Health Insurance all together, then add in long-term care and home care. HOW will this plan be paid for? What do the Hospitals, Health Care Providers and Pharmaceuticals think about this plan? They most certainly will see a severe reduction in income. Will we see a degradation in Health Care Services?

The Government cannot be trusted to control all aspects of our Health Care...look at what they did with the PPACA. They can't control payments made to scammers currently with Medicare and Medicaid. Billions spent and wasted. No, they won't magically arrive at a solution. It must be a bipartisan effort...and we won't hold our breath.

rant over

evilone
Professor Guide
8.1.1  evilone  replied to  cms5 @8.1    5 years ago
It's time to address the actual drivers of increasing costs of Health Care in this Nation...Hospitals, Health Care Providers and Pharmaceuticals.

The 80-20 cap in the PPACA was supposed to put pressure on the Carriers to lower costs on the providers. You're correct when you said it didn't work. Somehow we need to put a stop health care providers "creative" billing practices. Pharmaceutical companies should not be able to make a minor change to a drug to keep other makers from entering that market. It's that profit over everything mentality we have cultivated since the 80's that's driving this. 

...a Health Savings Account...

I've argued with any number of people that keep saying they hate HSAs. It always comes down to the High Deductible Health Care Plan that HSA's are attached to. Not the HSA itself. I agree HSAs should be available for everyone even if they choose not to have a health plan. I also disagree with the move the Democrats did sometime back that limited what people could use HSA money on. If I have a sinus infection I can't use an HSA to pay for sudafed without a prescription. That's fricken stupid!

...get rid of Health Insurance all together, then add in long-term care and home care. HOW will this plan be paid for?

Health Insurance is too big an industry to go away. In this political climate I don't think any plan can actually pass, or stand for long no matter what it is. Sanders' plan is Medicare for all. That wouldn't "get rid of Health Insurance all together". One of my clients brokers Medicare Supplemental (Med Sups) Insurance policies. They have thousands of clients across MN and WI on just Med Sups. We don't know for sure what they have planned. I certainly would love to find out, but what I think would most likely happen under that plan would be a buy in where the Medicare program would collect a deductible from people under the current Medicare age for all things Medicare covers now. Everything else would have to be covered out of pocket or with a Med Sup plan. I don't see anyone seriously calling for an end to employer based group plans either. Personally I'd love to see it, but I don't think I ever will.

They can't control payments made to scammers currently with Medicare and Medicaid.

Private businesses, including Insurance Carriers, get scammed all the time. Insurance Fraud is a huge cost for all companies.

Don Overton
Sophomore Quiet
8.2  Don Overton  replied to  Texan1211 @8    5 years ago

Chicken scratching for something to say

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
9  Sunshine    5 years ago