╌>

Attorney General Says He Thinks ‘Spying Did Occur’ on Trump Campaign

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  gooseisgone  •  5 years ago  •  93 comments

Attorney General Says He Thinks ‘Spying Did Occur’ on Trump Campaign
Mr. Barr said he was preparing to review “both the genesis and the conduct of intelligence activities directed at the Trump campaign,” including possible improper “spying” by American intelligence agencies.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

In his testimony before Congress, Attorney General William P. Barr said that he believed President Trump’s 2016 campaign was spied on by the government and that he wanted to ensure that there was no “improper surveillance.”

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
2  1stwarrior    5 years ago

Didn't know you were going to post this Goose - want me to delete mine?

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
2.1  igknorantzrulz  replied to  1stwarrior @2    5 years ago

probably best to delete both

.imho

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.1  JohnRussell  replied to  igknorantzrulz @2.1    5 years ago
probably best to delete both

They love to waste everyone's time chasing these fantasies. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.3  JohnRussell  replied to  gooseisgone @2.1.2    5 years ago

William Barr embarrassed himself today, not that it is any surprise. 

When Barr was asked if he has any evidence of this conspiracy, he said no. 

All he was doing was licking Trump's butt. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.4  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.3    5 years ago

You better brace yourself. You have a lot of surprises coming and your'e not gonna like any one of them!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  JohnRussell    5 years ago

The entire idea that Trump was "illegally" spied on is a right wing fantasy. 

Barr is saying whatever he is saying just to feed the troops a little snack. 

This so called conspiracy to defeat Trump never actually did a thing to help Clinton, it actually hurt Clinton through Comey's actions about the emails and Huma Abedin. 

This all reminds me of the idiotic things Glenn Beck and Alex Jones have said in the past about some soon to be revealed liberal conspiracy which never amounted to a hill of beans. 

Benghazi! Benghazi! Benghazi!

JBB
Professor Principal
4  JBB    5 years ago

So, the best I can decipher it, the party line being taken by the gop is that Carter Page honestly is so damn dumb that he had no idea he was offering to sell our national secrets to Russian State Intelligence Services so all bets are off.

We are supposed to forget about Russia sanctions being scrubbed from Trump's platform. We are supposed to ignore that Manafort, Trump's campaign chief, gave internal polling to Russia. We are to not to note that Sessions and Flynn and Donald Jr all lied about Russian spy shit. 

Nah...

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
4.1  igknorantzrulz  replied to  JBB @4    5 years ago

just a couple of unrelated coincidences

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
5  Dismayed Patriot    5 years ago

“I am not suggesting that those rules were violated, but I think it’s important to look at them,” Mr. Barr said. Later he said he wanted to ensure that there was no “improper surveillance” — not suggesting there had been, but that the possibility warranted review.

It really is hilarious how the Trump fans are all jumping up and down at this like it proves there was improper spying because of how unartfully Barr made his comments. Obviously they were meant for an audience of one. He admits he is "not suggesting that those rules were violated" but has started an investigation? So which is it Bill, do you think laws were violated thus it needs to be investigated? Or is it that you don't think there was any "improper surveillance" but you just want to be extra sure no laws were broken? Isn't that the definition of a fishing expedition? Isn't that exactly why some are asking for Trumps tax returns? We don't think any tax laws were broken but we just want to be sure, right?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1  Texan1211  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @5    5 years ago
Isn't that exactly why some are asking for Trumps tax returns? We don't think any tax laws were broken but we just want to be sure, right?

Isn't it the job of the IRS to determine if tax returns are filed correctly? Isn't that why the IRS has audited Trump multiple times?

Do you think the IRS is incompetent, and has been under multiple Presidents?

Split Personality
Professor Guide
5.1.1  Split Personality  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1    5 years ago
Isn't that why the IRS has audited Trump multiple times?

We actually have no proof at all, that any of Trump's tax returns are being audited, do we?  We have only his word.

Do you think the IRS is incompetent, and has been under multiple Presidents?

Yes, many people at IRS are typical incompetent, NTEU protected government employees.

Ender
Professor Principal
5.1.2  Ender  replied to  Split Personality @5.1.1    5 years ago

I don't see someone being continually audited for years on end.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  Split Personality @5.1.1    5 years ago
We actually have no proof at all, that any of Trump's tax returns are being audited, do we? We have only his word

You don't need proof of an audit. That is personal, just like the returns are.

Yes, many people at IRS are typical incompetent, NTEU protected government employees.

That may well be. Would you say some of them might even be susceptible to being swayed to start an audit by someone claiming to be under audit?

In any case, for all we know Trump has filed his taxes and either paid what he owed or got refunded what he was owed, or I am sure some nifty little reporter would have sniffed it out by now and had a real scoop saying that the IRS had put levies on Trump accounts. But that might not have satisfied all Trump tax liabilities. Then a deal would have been worked out for a payment plan. This means that Trump has satisfied his legal obligations regarding his tax returns. If Trump won't allow it, and nobody steals it, you will never see his tax returns.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  Ender @5.1.2    5 years ago

I haven't been audited but knew someone who was. he got audited 3 years in a row. Maybe they like to check you don't try to do the same thing again?

Ender
Professor Principal
5.1.5  Ender  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1.4    5 years ago

Never been audited either.

What gets me is we all know trump does not do his own taxes.

If he keeps getting audited every year, maybe time to find another tax accountant.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
5.1.6  Split Personality  replied to  Ender @5.1.5    5 years ago

So Trump should give Congress all of the tax returns which have been finished being auditied.

Easy, peasy.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.7  Texan1211  replied to  Ender @5.1.5    5 years ago
If he keeps getting audited every year, maybe time to find another tax accountant.

If he is getting audited because of his accountants' incompetence, of course he should be fired.

But what if he is a tax genius and makes the returns so difficult that it takes time for the IRS to understand it?

I imagine some tax strategies are pretty darn complicated!

Split Personality
Professor Guide
5.1.8  Split Personality  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1.4    5 years ago

And audits generally take weeks, not months or years, no matter how complicated.

Cohen or whomever would have cut a deal after a few months.  Everything in that strata is negotiation with the IRS.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.9  Texan1211  replied to  Split Personality @5.1.8    5 years ago

Or maybe Trump will simply never release them for any reason?

There is no law forcing him to release them publicly.

Ender
Professor Principal
5.1.10  Ender  replied to  Split Personality @5.1.6    5 years ago

What gets me is we would have to. No questions asked.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
5.1.11  Split Personality  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1.9    5 years ago

Congress isn't asking for them to be made public.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
5.1.12  Split Personality  replied to  Split Personality @5.1.11    5 years ago
And thanks to a 1924 provision in the Internal Revenue Code, the chairmen of the House Ways and Means Committee and Senate Finance Committee are authorized to request the president's -- or indeed anyone's -- tax returns from the IRS to conduct an investigation.

How the provision works and why it was created

The chairmen of the tax-writing committees -- whether they act together or alone -- don't need to disclose that they've requested the president's returns. But they may choose to -- and likely would -- share the returns with their committee members in closed session.
If the committee thinks releasing the returns to the House or Senate would further a legitimate committee purpose, they're permitted to do so, according to George Yin, a former chief of staff at the Joint Committee on Taxation and a professor of law at the University of Virginia.
At that point it's up to the full chamber to decide whether to make the returns public. "Of course, as a practical matter, it's a little hard to imagine information going to the full House or Senate and not becoming public," Yin said.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.13  Texan1211  replied to  Split Personality @5.1.11    5 years ago
Congress isn't asking for them to be made public.

Congress is on a fishing expedition.

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
5.1.14  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Ender @5.1.5    5 years ago
Never been audited either.

one time for me, and then they demanded immediate payment of around 17 dollars.

I'm thinkin like 17.36 or near there anyways. 

nearly broke the bank...  ha :)

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
5.1.15  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1.13    5 years ago
Congress is on a fishing expedition.

congress knows they will never see them but it is keeping the left all hopeful so job well done.

Ender
Professor Principal
5.1.16  Ender  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @5.1.14    5 years ago

Haha

Can I write you a check?

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
5.1.17  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Ender @5.1.16    5 years ago
Can I write you a check?

I'm good, but thanks for the offer.

I still can't believe they would not let me make payments over the next few yrs... those bastards.

cheers :)

Ender
Professor Principal
5.1.18  Ender  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @5.1.15    5 years ago

I just think it sets a bad precedent. If we ordinary citizens would have to turn over our returns, why do our elected officials get a pass.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
5.1.19  Split Personality  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1.13    5 years ago

Every day of every year apparently.

Remember Benghazi, Iran- Contra, Watergate, Whitewater?

Some yield fish, some do not...

Split Personality
Professor Guide
5.1.21  Split Personality  replied to    5 years ago

10 Benghazi investigations were fishing expeditions.

Iran - Contra sullied Reagan's reputation and resulted in five or 6 Admin officials losing their jobs and being prosecuted, all later to be pardoned by George Bush.

It's all fishing and harassment, always has been.  The Pardon makes it all a big joke.

Ender
Professor Principal
5.1.22  Ender  replied to    5 years ago
probable cause

I understand that. I just think that the more money and power one has, the more they can define the parameters.