╌>

AP Interview: Pelosi: 'I don't trust Barr; I trust Mueller'

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  tessylo  •  5 years ago  •  76 comments

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

image001-png_162613.png.cf.jpg   Lisa Mascaro, AP Congressional Correspondent, Associated Press   13 hours ago

WASHINGTON (AP) -- House Speaker Nancy Pelosi on Wednesday questioned Attorney General William Barr's independence from President Donald Trump, arguing Barr's pursuit of Trump's claims about "spying" during the 2016 campaign undermines his position as the nation's top law enforcement officer.

In a wide-ranging interview with The Associated Press, the California Democrat said she was "very concerned" about Barr's handling of special counsel Robert Mueller's report on Russian meddling in the campaign and accused Barr of doing Trump's political bidding in his testimony at a Senate hearing.

"He is not the attorney general of Donald Trump. He is the attorney general of the United States," Pelosi told AP. "I don't trust Barr, I trust Mueller."

Pressure is mounting on the attorney general in the days before his release of a version of Mueller's nearly 400-page report, and Pelosi amplified the demands from Capitol Hill to see the full document. Barr said Wednesday he expects to release a redacted version within a week. Pelosi said it's only a "matter of time" before the full report is made public.

"We will see it," she said.

During Pelosi's 30-minute interview in her Capitol Hill office, she took stock of the Democrats' first 100 days as the House majority in the new Congress. And despite harsh words for Trump and his advisers, she still spoke hopefully of working with him on key issues — including lowering prescription drug prices — where the two share common goals.

At the same time, Pelosi vowed to keep up relentless Democratic oversight of the administration. And she did not fully close the door on impeachment proceedings, despite having recently dismissed efforts by liberal colleagues by saying Trump's "not worth it."

"My view is that impeachment is very divisive in the country, and when we see what we need to see it may be imperative that he be impeached. But up until then, he's not worth it," Pelosi said.

Much will hinge on Mueller's findings, putting the attorney general's credibility increasingly on the line.

Barr testified Wednesday before a Senate panel that he believes "spying did occur" on Trump's 2016 presidential campaign, aligning himself more closely with the president's views on the origins of the Russia investigation. Trump and other critics of the Russia probe claim that the precursor to Mueller's investigation was launched during the Obama administration by officials abusing their surveillance power. Mueller was appointed special counsel by Trump's Justice Department.

Barr didn't present evidence to support the assertion and later in his testimony appeared to backtrack, saying he wasn't certain that any wrongdoing occurred and was only interested in ensuring proper procedures were followed.

Pelosi said Barr's comments undermine the Constitution and his role in the Justice Department.

Department spokeswoman Kerri Kupec declined to comment.

As House Democrats pursue oversight of the Trump administration beyond the Mueller probe, Trump has complained that Democrats will never be satisfied. He and his allies call it presidential harassment.

Asked what would satisfy Democrats, Pelosi said: "I'll be satisfied when we have a new president of the United States who is a Democrat."

As for the Mueller report, Barr's four-page summary of its main conclusions said the president was not exonerated by the special counsel. Mueller left open the question of whether Trump obstructed justice during the two-year probe of Russian interference in the 2016 election. Barr and his team at the Justice Department made their own decision to clear the president of criminal wrongdoing.

Pelosi said anew on Wednesday, "Let us see the report."

"The fact is the president has engaged in activities that are unethical, un-American. ... In every way he is unfit to be the president of the United States," she said.

"Is that an impeachable offense? Well it depends on what we see in the report. I set a very high bar for impeachment because I think it's very divisive in the country and one of our purposes is to unify, as our founders gave us guidance, e pluribus unum, from many one."

Republicans say Pelosi is under great pressure from her liberal flank, including young colleagues such as Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, but the speaker who has represented San Francisco for 30 years scoffed.

"I am from the left," she said. "I'm a progressive Democrat from San Francisco ... and I'm proud of who I am."

As the new Congress rounds out its 100-days milestone, the speaker said Democrats are doing far more than conducting oversight of the White House, even though she said that's their constitutional responsibility as an equal branch of government.

Though female candidates and voters helped usher Democrats to the majority, Pelosi said she's not insisting on having a woman -- or two women -- on the party's 2020 presidential ticket.

"Would I like to see one? Yes," she said. "But it doesn't mean that if there isn't one ... that it's not a ticket that we should all get behind."

She said she prefers to keep the House focused on pocketbook issues for everyday Americans -- lowering health care costs and investing in infrastructure — and new ethics rules, not on Trump.

"We are not just focusing on him," she said. "We're focused on what we said we would do."

___

Follow Lisa Mascaro on Twitter at https://twitter.com/lisamascaro

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Tessylo    5 years ago

WASHINGTON (AP) -- House Speaker Nancy Pelosi on Wednesday questioned Attorney General William Barr's independence from President Donald Trump, arguing Barr's pursuit of Trump's claims about "spying" during the 2016 campaign undermines his position as the nation's top law enforcement officer.

In a wide-ranging interview with The Associated Press, the California Democrat said she was "very concerned" about Barr's handling of special counsel Robert Mueller's report on Russian meddling in the campaign and accused Barr of doing Trump's political bidding in his testimony at a Senate hearing.

"He is not the attorney general of Donald Trump. He is the attorney general of the United States," Pelosi told AP. "I don't trust Barr, I trust Mueller."

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.2  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Tessylo @1    5 years ago

That's okay Nancy. I don't trust you, never have never will!jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
1.2.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.2    5 years ago

I don't either. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2  seeder  Tessylo    5 years ago

Barr testified Wednesday before a Senate panel that he believes "spying did occur" on Trump's 2016 presidential campaign, aligning himself more closely with the president's views on the origins of the Russia investigation. Trump and other critics of the Russia probe claim that the precursor to Mueller's investigation was launched during the Obama administration by officials abusing their surveillance power. Mueller was appointed special counsel by Trump's Justice Department.

Barr didn't present evidence to support the assertion and later in his testimony appeared to backtrack, saying he wasn't certain that any wrongdoing occurred and was only interested in ensuring proper procedures were followed.

Pelosi said Barr's comments undermine the Constitution and his role in the Justice Department.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4  It Is ME    5 years ago

"arguing Barr's pursuit of Trump's claims about "spying" during the 2016 campaign undermines his position as the nation's top law enforcement officer. "

Isn't that what "Enforcement" means Nancy ? To "Enforce" ALL the "Laws" ?

What were the Democrats doing when they "Insisted" on a "Special Investigation" ? Just joking around ?

Maybe Barr will find the same thing Mueller did ….. Nothing !

OR

Maybe they know he will actually find "Something" .... and the likes of Nancy are actually a-skeered !  jrSmiley_19_smiley_image.gif

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
4.1  Ozzwald  replied to  It Is ME @4    5 years ago
What were the Democrats doing when they "Insisted" on a "Special Investigation" ?

They were following policy after the firing of Comey and recusal of Sessions.  Democrats couldn't have insisted on anything, the were the minority party back then.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  Ozzwald @4.1    5 years ago
They were following policy after the firing of Comey

"They" .… wanted Comey Fired ….. Before "They" didn't ! jrSmiley_98_smiley_image.gif

And yes.... Democrats were all over the news claiming ….. "Foul"...…. when Comey was fired, and Everything else they could think up against Trump then !

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
4.1.2  Ozzwald  replied to  It Is ME @4.1.1    5 years ago
"They" .… wanted Comey Fired ….. Before "They" didn't !

Wow, you are PROUD of your lack of understanding, aren't you? 

They wanted Comey fired for violating DOJ policy about public comments about a candidate that close to an election.

They DIDN'T want Comey fired for properly doing his job.

I know you will never understand the difference, but that's only because you refuse to understand.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4.1.3  It Is ME  replied to  Ozzwald @4.1.2    5 years ago
They wanted Comey fired for violating DOJ policy about public comments about a candidate that close to an election.

And Trump Gave them what they wanted.

Comey was "Fired" ! jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif

What's your beef NOW ? jrSmiley_97_smiley_image.gif

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.4  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Ozzwald @4.1.2    5 years ago

As President Obama said once - and I'm paraphrasing - some cling to their bibles, guns, and ignorance.  

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4.1.5  It Is ME  replied to  Tessylo @4.1.4    5 years ago
some cling to their bibles, guns, and ignorance. 

Now you're just Ad-liberaling !

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
4.1.6  Ozzwald  replied to  It Is ME @4.1.3    5 years ago
And Trump Gave them what they wanted.

No, Trump gave them what he wanted.  He praised Comey for his job with Hillary's emails.  Or did you conveniently forget that?

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4.1.7  It Is ME  replied to  Ozzwald @4.1.6    5 years ago
No, Trump gave them what he wanted. 

Exactly what the Democrats wanted , until...… Again …… They didn't !

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5  Sparty On    5 years ago

How quick some people forget events like Watergate.   Most younger people here probably don't know what Watergate was.

That said, i'm not sure what Pelosi's problem is.   If their was illegal spying being done during a Presidential election one would think a sitting member of congress would want to know about it.

She wouldn't be biased about such things would she?

luther28
Sophomore Silent
6  luther28    5 years ago

Thought I would give Mr. Barr the benefit of the doubt, that's over.

Many have allowed themselves to be swept up in the paranoia that is fed to us on a daily basis. I am a bit surprised that most have not figured the ploy out, the powers that be keep us continually divided whilst they line their pockets. Both sides of the mainstream media participate in their quest for higher ratings while our elected politicians utilize it to keep themselves in office until such a time that they might grasp that golden ring of the lobbyist. This is just another example in my opinion.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
6.1  It Is ME  replied to  luther28 @6    5 years ago

"I am a bit surprised that most have not figured the ploy out"

"Most" ..... Don't want to ! It's to "Hard" !

I can only vote that comment up once. jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

Sorry !

Now if you had said that on "American Idol"...… I'd dial in 30 times. jrSmiley_18_smiley_image.gif

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
7  Sunshine    5 years ago

What is she afraid of?  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Sunshine @7    5 years ago

That makes no sense.  She wants the report released.  What's the turd Rump afraid of?

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
7.1.1  Sunshine  replied to  Tessylo @7.1    5 years ago
What's the turd Rump afraid of?

Did Trump say he didn't want the report released?

It Is ME
Masters Guide
7.1.3  It Is ME  replied to    5 years ago

Democrats are just "USING" the phrase "Full Report", so when Barr releases the "Redacted" version... .by LAW …. They can claim Barr was in cahoots, and Trump has things to hide.

That's all it will be about, MARK MY WORDS ! jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
7.1.4  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  It Is ME @7.1.3    5 years ago
Democrats are just "USING" the phrase "Full Report", so when Barr releases the "Redacted" version....by LAW …. They can claim Barr was in cahoots, and Trump has things to hide.

exactly.

perhaps a few riots after maybe?

I mean, at some point their heads are gonna pop. it is inevitable.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
7.1.5  It Is ME  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @7.1.4    5 years ago
perhaps a few riots after maybe?

"Antifa" will be needed here. 

lib50
Professor Silent
7.1.6  lib50  replied to  Sunshine @7.1.1    5 years ago

Did Trump say he didn't want the report released?

Um, you do realize his entire enabling team is who is trying to stop the release of the Mueller report, don't you?  And for the record, who gives a fuck what a liar says, we look at actions, not words.  The entire Trump/GOP machine is trying to hide as much of the report as possible. 

lib50
Professor Silent
7.1.9  lib50  replied to    5 years ago

Of course there is something to hide, you don't get 4 pages of bullshit out of a 2 year investigation with 400 pages.  And the way Barr is presenting this, dribbling out nice Trump sound bites proves it.  Mueller has damaging on Trump and probably the gop, which is why they are trying so hard to keep this secret. [deleted]

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
7.1.10  KDMichigan  replied to  lib50 @7.1.9    5 years ago

So what should he have a 400 page report on the 400 pages?

All you need to worry yourself about is the no collusion and that is what the investigation was about, and you sure the hell don't need 4 pages to understand that.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
7.1.11  Sean Treacy  replied to  KDMichigan @7.1.10    5 years ago

It's amazing how much trouble people have grasping the concept of a summary.   Or they must believe Mueller is some sort of incompetent fool who can write a report.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7.2  Sparty On  replied to  Sunshine @7    5 years ago

The truth ..... she can't handle the truth!

lib50
Professor Silent
7.2.1  lib50  replied to  Sparty On @7.2    5 years ago

Says the side that is trying to hide as much of Mueller's findings as possible.  Try explaining why Trumpublicans are afraid of the truth instead of projecting.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7.2.2  Sparty On  replied to  lib50 @7.2.1    5 years ago

Give me a break.   Stop with the disingenuous nonsense.  

Everything that is allowed by law will be shared.   Barr had said so over and over again, ad nauseam.   You haven't even seen it yet and you are already telegraphing what your actions will be.   Sad!

I can't believe some of you can sleep at night with some of the BS you're trying to sell here each day.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
7.2.3  Raven Wing  replied to  Sparty On @7.2.2    5 years ago
I can't believe some of you can sleep at night with some of the BS you're trying to sell here each day.

That works both ways ya know. And both sides are the total pits and both sides are unfit to run this country. It's all about the party, not the country or the people. It's all ME! ME! ME! and party first. The only time they care one whit about the American people as a whole is when they need their votes to stay in office or stand on control of the country. Otherwise, the people can just puke up and die. There will someone to replace them born every day. 

An on one from either side is fit to be the leader of our country. 

Both sides are disgusting.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7.2.4  Sparty On  replied to  Raven Wing @7.2.3    5 years ago
Both sides are disgusting.

They can be, i agree but in this case Barr is only doing what the law requires.   Laws like this have existed for good reason for a long time.   Now a few politicians want to change the rules because their partisan sensibilities have been tweaked?

That's the epitome of hypocrisy for some of them and absolutely disgusting for all.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
7.2.5  Raven Wing  replied to  Sparty On @7.2.4    5 years ago
Now a few politicians want to change the rules because their partisan sensibilities have been tweaked?

Agree. There is just too dang much partisan BS going on in our world today that seems to take the place of what is good for the country and its people. Party first and to Hell with anything and everything else. Trumps trade war with China was hurting a good many industries and their suppliers before the onset of the devastating winter storms and flooding started in the various farm areas of our country, and their prolonged recurrence only adds a double whammy to those people and the related industries affected by them.  

The devastation will not be healed in one hot summer, and it does not look like there will be any end to the stupid trade war anytime soon.  The US is the one that is truly suffering from it, not China, and that is the stupidity of the whole thing.

JMOO

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
7.2.7  Raven Wing  replied to  Have Opinion Will Travel @7.2.6    5 years ago

First of all......if you want to converse with me clean up your vocabulary. The CoC says profanity should be used 'judiciously". 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7.2.8  Sparty On  replied to  Raven Wing @7.2.5    5 years ago

Love to buy you a libation some day Raven.    We don’t agree on a lot but you seen like a level headed, honest person.

I respect that.     I can tell you have a lot of sincere honor and integrity.    That goes a long way in my camp.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
7.2.9  Raven Wing  replied to  Sparty On @7.2.8    5 years ago

Thank you for your very kind words, Sparty. We each have our own thoughts and opinions on some things, but, there are things that we can and do agree on. 

It would be my great pleasure to share a libation with you one day, Sparty. I respect the right of others to express their own thoughts and opinions, and I reserve the right to express my own. Mutual respect makes for a more pleasant dialog, and I am always eager to learn from others.

That goes a long way in my camp as well. (smile) 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
8  Raven Wing    5 years ago

I agree with Pelosi. I wouldn't trust Barr as far as I could throw him. Mueller is far more trustworthy than Barr. Barr will tell people what Trump wants to hear. That is why Trump put him in his position..to cover Trumps a$$. His base will believe anything, and that is all Trump cares about, as the thinks that is all he needs to get reelected.