╌>

Ilhan Omar's outrageous statement about 9/11

Category:  Op/Ed

Via:  gooseisgone  •  5 years ago  •  109 comments

Ilhan Omar's outrageous statement about 9/11
Some people did something

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

In a March 23 speech, Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.) complained of “the discomfort of being a second-class citizen” before claiming the Council on American-Islamic Relations “was founded after 9/11 because they recognized that some people did something, and [Muslims] were starting to lose access to our civil liberties.”

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JBB
Professor Principal
2  JBB    5 years ago

Bullshit like this demonizing Omar already resulted in rightwingers trying to kill her.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  JBB @2    5 years ago

JBB,

Being a 9/11 survivor, that comment was disgusting. She couldn't call terrorist for what they were. That is unforgivable. If she doesn't want people to hate her, she should keep her mouth shut. Apparently, there is no filter.

Ironically, one of the people to make the biggest fuss about her comments, was Rep. Dan Crenshaw, who has turned down helping to fund more of the 9/11 Victim’s Compensation Fund. People are still coming down with illnesses here in NY. We were lied to that the air was fine by Christie Whittman, and now we are getting more fallout from 9/11. That's disgusting, too.

Let's call all of this what it is. They have both behaved disgustingly and stop the partisan BS. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
2.1.1  Dulay  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.1    5 years ago

I would have thought that you would have sought out and read her ENTIRE statement in context before coming to a decision on it.

Before I commented, I did. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.1.2  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Dulay @2.1.1    5 years ago

Dulay, 

Read below. I did. I lived through it. I am a New Yorker, and this issue is a real raw one for me all the way around.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.1.4  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  XDm9mm @2.1.3    5 years ago

I was there when the 1st plane hit. I actually saw it go through the building. I was on the corner of Broadway and Vesey St, on the way to my lawyer. 

I lost 4 friends who were first responders. My cousin and close friend were down there, too. All of us trying to find a way out of the chaos. 

There are many stories like yours. Also, many people who never returned to lower Manhattan afterward. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.1.6  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  XDm9mm @2.1.5    5 years ago
but they saw a number of jumpers, unfortunately.

So did I. 

You are never really the same. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.1.8  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  XDm9mm @2.1.7    5 years ago

I am very sorry for your loss. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.1.10  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  XDm9mm @2.1.9    5 years ago

I would have to agree with that.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
2.1.11  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.1    5 years ago
that comment was disgusting. She couldn't call terrorist for what they were. That is unforgivable.

I watched her whole speech and thought she was well spoken and I didn't feel as if she downplayed or dismissed the attack on 9/11.

From the seed:

"To call them merely “some people” is to deny a cancer festering in the world Muslim community."

It seemed she was attempting to put distance between herself, the Muslim community at large and the extremists who attacked us. I'm not exactly sure why she's apparently not allowed to make such a distinction. It sounded much like some of the comments I heard from many conservatives after Dylan Roof gunned down nearly a dozen black Americans as they worshiped in their Church. They referred to him as "some nut" or crazy person, not a person reflective of their values even though he claimed to be inspired by all the conservative right wing hate groups. 

"She went further: “Many people expect our community to feel like it needs to hide every time something happens.” Again, by “something happens,” she means (but won’t say) “when Muslims commit acts of terror.”

Why is it on her to take responsibility for 9/11? Why does she have to blame Islam or Muslims in general for a vile act of terror that she had nothing to do with from nearly 20 years ago? 

"No one expects Muslims to “hide” after an attack by Islamist terrorists. No group should be blamed for the deeds of a few of its members."

No group should be blamed, then why did they just say Omar should have apparently felt guilty for not blaming Muslims for 9/11? Why is she blamed for deflecting from taking responsibility by using the term "something" to describe an event she had nothing to do with?

"But defeating terrorism requires facing the facts of who’s behind it and why."

Yes, and we have done that. We know who was behind it and we have brought them to justice. Trying to paint every Muslim with guilt over 9/11 is beyond sad, it's dishonest and dishonors those who lost their lives that day. Even George W. Bush understood this fact when he said “The face of terrorism not the true faith of Islam. That’s not what Islam is all about. Islam is peace. These terrorists don’t represent peace, they represent evil and war . . . When we think of Islam, we think of a faith that brings comfort to a billion people around the world . . .and that’s made brothers and sisters out of every race".

It seems every word that comes out of Representative Omar's mouth is being picked apart in an effort to find offense. Her comments in context seemed neither outrageous nor disrespectful of the victims of 9/11. Could she have made the point I believe she was trying to make more articulately? Yes, without a doubt, but I truly do not believe she was intending any offense.

As George W. Bush continued speaking about Muslims, he said "America counts millions of Muslims amongst our citizens, and Muslims make an incredibly valuable contribution to our country. Muslims are doctors, lawyers, law professors, members of the military, entrepreneurs, shopkeepers, moms and dads. And they need to be treated with respect. In our anger and emotion, our fellow Americans must treat each other with respect". Have we truly become more embittered towards Muslims 18 years after the event than we were in the immediate aftermath?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.12  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @2.1.11    5 years ago

Wow! What a fantastic job of justification. Surely you should have been a lawyer if in fact you aren't one.  Now, can you do as good a job with her antisemitism?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.1.13  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @2.1.11    5 years ago

Dismayed, 

It is picked apart, not because she is a Muslim. It is picked apart because what she says IS offensive and she keeps doing it. I had no issue with the first part of what she said, I had an issue with "some people". They were not "some people". They were terrorist who performed the worst act of terrorism since Pearl Harbor. If she wants to help the Muslim community, then she should stand up and say, "They were terrorist, and we as Muslims must stand up against terrorism" or at least acknowledge that this was not just "some thing". Explain that to the families who lost their loved ones on that day, and the rest of NYers who are living the after effects. 

Furthermore, I know Muslims who feel the same way. I don't want Muslims to be mistreated just for being Muslims, so please do not make it about that. I am talking about this one individual only. 

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
2.1.14  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.1.13    5 years ago
They were not "some people". They were terrorist who performed the worst act of terrorism since Pearl Harbor.

I agree, she could have named them as terrorists and it was a missed opportunity, though I don't see any disrespect and certainly no antisemitism.

Here is what I believe she was trying to say " CAIR was founded after 9/11, because they recognized that  some Muslims did something terrible and then  all  of us in the Muslim community were starting to lose access to our civil liberties."

That was how I heard it. I don't think she said "some terrorists" because that wasn't exactly what she was trying to say, we all know they were terrorists. She was pointing out the connection drawn between some Muslims (the extremists who attacked us) and the rest of the Muslim community who were heart broken over such violence. The fact is, the vast majority of Muslim extremist violence is targeting other Muslims.

I've made no secret of how I feel about their religion, I think it's all based on lies and think those who use it to justify their hate and racism should be hunted down and brought to justice. But those who want to take the good parts of the Koran, and there are many, and live by them while discarding the violent parts (of which there are also many) then it's their choice, just like most Christians and Jews do with the Torah/bible. I believe all three of the Abrahamic faiths, Islam, Christianity and Judaism, to be rooted in an ancient lie, but it's not for me to try and force my beliefs on others. Point is, I'm not defending Islam or extremists, I just don't see Rep Omar comments being anywhere near as offensive as things done and comments made by Republican Steve King and other conservatives.

"During a recent trip to Europe, Rep. Steve King met with members of a far-right Austrian party founded by a former Nazi SS officer and gave an interview to their website in which he discussed the “Great Replacement,” a white supremacist conspiracy theory. “What does this diversity bring that we don’t already have?” he told the website of Austria’s Freedom Party. “Mexican food, Chinese food, those things — well, that’s fine. But what does it bring that we don’t have that is worth the price? We have a lot of diversity within the U.S. already.”

Just ask yourself, honestly, when you listen to Rep. Omar speak, does she sound like a terrorist to you? Does she say she wants Islam to triumph over mankind or has she ever said she doesn't recognize Israel or wants it to be destroyed? I've never heard such rhetoric from her, so in the case of the statement above, I'll give her the benefit of the doubt. While it could have been worded better, I don't believe she meant it in the way it's being taken and I think she's just as angry about radical Islamic terrorism as the rest of us, maybe more so because it's a version of her own religion being misused to justify violence. Now when I hear Rep. Steve King speak, besides sounding 51 cards short of a full deck, he sounds very much like a white supremacist who embraces a lot of what Nazism championed. 

"Furthermore, I know Muslims who feel the same way. I don't want Muslims to be mistreated just for being Muslims, so please do not make it about that. I am talking about this one individual only."

That is exactly the point I think Rep Omar was trying, albeit poorly, to make. Muslims were losing their access to civil liberties because they were being treated differently after 9/11. It was an irrational fear that had to be challenged and thus CAIR stepped up. The real news to me in the story is that Rep. Omar got her facts wrong about CAIR that wasn't founded after 9/11 but was founded way back in 1994 though it did increase in activity after 9/11. Its founding was partly in response to the film " True Lies" which Arab and Muslim groups condemned for its stereotyping of Arab and Muslim villains. Great movie of course, gotta love ya some Arnold.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
2.1.15  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1.12    5 years ago
Now, can you do as good a job with her antisemitism?

You know you can just copy that and use 'ctrl' V to paste it whenever you feel the urge to label someone an anti-Semite. You don't want to tire those fingers out from all the typing.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.1.16  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @2.1.14    5 years ago

DP,

I never said her comment was antisemitic. I said she diminished the horror of the day and the monsters who did it. Instead, she viewed it solely about how it hurt the Muslim community, without addressing her fellow Americans who suffered from these terrorists.

But then you have run astray. I never said she was a terrorist. I never talked about Israel. Then you bring up Steven King. He is a horror. I have said so. But he is not the topic here, other than two wrongs don't make a right. 

But I am going to set you straight about a few things. 

I lived in Metro NY. We are truly a city that is made up of the various cultures that came to settle here and we have an enormous amount of tolerance and enjoyment for different cultures that make up our wonderful city. On the day of 9/11, NYC was home to 103 mosques, 3 of them walking distance from the WTC, not counting the one in the old Burlington coat factory. No Muslim was having their civil liberties taken away. They were accepted into NYC like every other group. Then 9/11 happened and one of the first thing that Mayor Gulliani said was that Islam was not to blame. I am sure that there were some NYers who were mad at Muslims, but for the most part, we recognized that Muslims were just like any other NYers and also died in the WTC. They are honored along with the rest of the dead at the memorial. 

Now let me tell you about CAIR. Do you want to know what upset most NYers?  It's what CAIR did right after 9/11. They wanted to take the existing Mosque in the Burlington coat factory which was less than 3 tiny streets from the WTC, where bits and pieces of bodies were found on the roof, and make it the tallest building in the area from 5 stories to 15 and traditional way of showing victory or a Caliphate. That was the turning point for most NYers. Instead of stepping up to help our communities mend, CAIR thought it was more important to build a huge Mosque as a slap in the face. What happened instead, was months of protests against the mosque by NYers. Talk about how to make hostilities.  The fact that Ms. Omar either doesn't know her facts or is misrepresenting them, this is who CAIR is. So when they talk about civil liberties being taken away (which I find kind of a distortion of the truth, since the Congress just made adjustments for Ms. Omar's head covering), they themselves have shown little regard for the communities they complain about. And what she said to them, is just more of the same. That is why her comment is so offensive to NYers. It was not some people who did something and when she realizes how offensive that comment is, she might be the leadership she was voted into. And btw, the mere fact that she is a Muslim woman voted in as a Representative shows that her civil liberties are not as bad as she implied. 

I for one, have no problem with Muslims. It was Uzbecki Muslims that saved my mother's life. I realize that there is good in all people in all faiths. I'd like to feel that Ms. Omar feels the same way, but frankly, I am not sure.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.17  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @2.1.15    5 years ago

Prove to me that I have labelled any NT member as an anti-Semite, so long as they did not write or say what is established to be antisemitism by the International Holocaust Memorial Alliance, echoing the Ottawa Protocol, the definition by both having been adopted by most civilized countries, including the USA.  I believe I am totally justified in calling Omar's comments antisemitic, and it seems to me that I'm not alone in doing so, but if you wish to defend her that's your privilege, and as I pointed out, you do a good job of it.

I would have thought though, that your insinuating the "you call anyone an anti-Semite if they criticize Israel" card to insult me to have been an uncivil, in fact despicable, comment, deserving of an apology. 

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
2.1.18  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.1.16    5 years ago
I never said she was a terrorist. I never talked about Israel.

I didn't mean for the whole comment to be directed at you, that was not my intent. Every American was attacked that day, but yes, those closest to ground zero took the brunt of the physical and emotional pain. We came together as a nation that day and didn't care what party you were affiliated with, we were all Americans united against our attackers. Sadly, America then blew its shot of unity, used 9/11 as an excuse to nation build in the middle east and while we said out loud that we didn't blame Islam, everyone knew that wasn't really true, there was a seething hatred boiling over towards Islam which continues to this day. Not just against those extremists who attacked us, but Islam in general. It's why so many jump to take offense at some poorly worded statement from someone in a hijab.

"It's what CAIR did right after 9/11. They wanted to take the existing Mosque in the Burlington coat factory which was less than 3 tiny streets from the WTC, where bits and pieces of bodies were found on the roof, and make it the tallest building in the area from 5 stories to 15 and traditional way of showing victory or a Caliphate. That was the turning point for most NYers. Instead of stepping up to help our communities mend, CAIR thought it was more important to build a huge Mosque as a slap in the face. What happened instead, was months of protests against the mosque by NYers."

I'm sorry, I was with you all the way up to here, then it seems you took a right turn and lost me. The claim that CAIR was trying to claim victory and attempt to build a mosque near ground zero is pure, unadulterated anti-Muslim rhetoric on top of being totally false. And even if it were true, which it's not, it should make zero difference when it comes to our religious freedom laws and constitution. If that was truly supposed to be a slap in the face then why not stick to our values, stick to the law, and turn the other cheek. If a Christian Church would have been approved buying that site, then a Muslim Mosque should have been allowed or a 15 story statue of Baphomet for all I care, making rules for some faiths but not others violates the very foundation of religious freedom.

If the claim of not blaming all Muslims for 9/11 was actually true as so many tried to say, then why was the Soho Properties (not CAIR) run by a half-Egyptian, half-Polish CEO named Sharif El-Gamal, targeted and denied the right to use a property they owned (the use of which was overwhelmingly approved by the local community board 29 -1 in favor)? It was already being used as overflow prayer room from a local mosque, TriBeCa's, about 10 min walk away. The Imam, Abdul Rauf, was born in Kuwait to Egyptian parents. Rauf and El-Gamal proposed renovating the building into a community center, the proposal didn't look anything like a mosque and wasn't intended to be used as one but would accommodate the prayer overflow from TriBeCa's with its own prayer room. Does any of that sound like CAIR trying to erect a victory mosque over ground zero?

" in 2010, the local community board  voted twenty-nine-to-one, with ten abstentions , to approve plans for a fifteen-story, hundred-million-dollar community center modeled on the 92nd Street Y. Abdul Rauf referred to it as the Cordoba House; El-Gamal referred to it as Park51"

Seems NY'ers weren't all so lock step at first, it took the media opportunists to make a mountain out of a Muslim community center.

" and around the country, people referred to it, variously, as the “Ground Zero mosque,” the “Ground Zero terror mosque,” and the “Victory Mosque.” “Nazis don’t have the right to put up a sign next to the Holocaust Museum in Washington,” former speaker of the house Newt Gingrich said. “We would never accept the Japanese putting up a site next to Pearl Harbor. There’s no reason for us to accept a mosque next to the World Trade Center.”

I heard often how even though the Muslims claimed it was going to be a community center, that was just a ruse and it was really a huge mosque victory tower. So I guess we just can't trust those "sneaky" Muslims eh? We need to invent our own worst nightmares and project our fears to feel "safe" I guess.

"'Curbed'  pointed out at the time , it would be a musalla, not a mosque, “but ‘Ground Zero Musalla’ is way less catchy!”. Republican candidates for governor  called for an investigation into the project’s financing : “This is about transparency. This about the safety of the people of New York,” former-congressman and Republican gubernatorial candidate Rick Lazio said. “Religion has nothing to do with this.”

And so they killed the community center "mosque", spit on our religious freedom laws, and peer pressured the owners into submission. It was a very sad day for true freedom, an invisible attack on our integrity that we failed miserably to properly respond to, a precursor for where we are now. Our enemies intent was to divide and conquer. Well they apparently succeeded at the divide part.

" Soho Properties released details of the project to  Bloomberg Businessweek : a seventy-story, ultra-luxury condominium tower, including at least fifteen full-floor units to be marketed at prices higher than three thousand dollars per square foot."

I guess instead of a 15 story community center a 70 story luxury condo building was the better choice for the neighborhood.

"doesn't know her facts or is misrepresenting them"

Seems like that's a common occurrence these days.

"this is who CAIR is."

Except it wasn't. I know you to be a fair arbiter of truth. Read the facts presented in my link, it's not a pro-Islam piece by any means, (and I am certainly not pro-Islam) it just tells a sad, and very different, story than most Americans were hearing from the talking heads and paid pundits on both sides. All CAIR actually did was weigh in on the situation as one of the talking heads making comments and defending the request to allow a community center to be built. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of reasons to be upset with CAIR, their possible ties to the extremist Muslim brotherhood or Hamas, their homophobia, their treatment of women, they just weren't responsible for trying to build a mosque at ground zero. They merely defended the right of the owners to use their property how they wanted, which, frankly, I did as well at the time and still do.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
2.1.19  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1.17    5 years ago
"you call anyone an anti-Semite if they criticize Israel" card to insult me to have been an uncivil, in fact despicable, comment, deserving of an apology. 

So where is that quote from? I see it with quotation marks but that's not what I said, so not sure where you got it. I will admit that it often has felt as if you are accusing people of being anti-Semitic if they either defended criticisms of Israel or directly criticized them for their handling/occupation of Palestinian lands. In fact just saying "occupation" is a loaded topic that many are hesitant in acknowledging for fear of being labeled an anti-Semite. As for "insinuations", I think it far more egregious to insinuate someone is an anti-Semite, which is truly uncivil and despicable, than it is to insinuate someone wrongly labels others anti-Semites.

I have to believe that there is a way to be critical of a governments actions, while not being critical of the people themselves, who, let's be honest, don't all agree with their government either.

So are there anti-Semites out there who just hate Jews for no other reason than they were raised by anti-Semites and inherited their ignorant hatred of an an entire race of people? Yes, absolutely. And you can label them all you want, you have every right to do so. The problem comes when the reflexive reaction to any criticism is an accusation of "anti-Semite!". It reminds me of the "Boy who called wolf" story. If you throw around a label too freely you'll find it loses all power and meaning and is eventually just ignored.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.20  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @2.1.19    5 years ago

It was not meant to be a quote, it was meant to accentuate those words to be what I interpret as your INSINUATION of what I do:

"You know you can just copy that and use 'ctrl' V to paste it whenever you feel the urge to label someone an anti-Semite. You don't want to tire those fingers out from all the typing."

If you feel I'm wrong, then point out why. I'm well aware of "insinuations" and "innuendo".  As well, have you come up with even ONE example of where I have INSINUATED that a person is an anti-Semite if that person had not made a comment considered to be antisemitic by the terms of the ACCEPTED definition of antisemitism, adopted by most civilized countries, including YOUR country. Fair criticism, that which does not put Israel to a double standard, is not only acceptable, I've done it myself and I'm not an anti-Semite.

To me supporters of BDS are anti-Semites, and I'm not the only one who thinks so.  My Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau, said so, and I published the report of it here on NT. Would you like the link?

By the way, I did NOT say or even insinuate, that YOU are an anti-Semite. I said you happen to be very good at defending Ilhan Omar, but if you mistakenly think I was accusing you of antisemitism, then I must say that it does make me wonder why you would even consider that possibility.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.1.21  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @2.1.18    5 years ago

DP,

I read The Awl article even before I wrote this, and I am sorry, that they had a very unique spin on something that most Nyers would have agreed with at the time. But first a few things I would like to set straight:

I never heard what Newt had to say about this. I don't listen to spin doctors. I do listen to NPR, on occasion. What I said, was based on what most NYers were saying at the time, based on how we felt.

I heard often how even though the Muslims claimed it was going to be a community center, that was just a ruse and it was really a huge mosque victory tower. So I guess we just can't trust those "sneaky" Muslims eh? We need to invent our own worst nightmares and project our fears to feel "safe" I guess.

Ummm no. I went through a long discussion about how that mosque existed there along with 3 other ones for years. No one minded. No one even gave it a second thought and NYers didn't think of Muslims as sneaky. We didn't need to invent our own worst nightmare. We had it. You have no idea of how that reads to someone who saw people jumping out of windows with their own eyes. 

What you seemed to miss is that timing is everything, and the Cordoba House was a case for that expression. 

Of all the articles I have read relating to this, here is probably the fairest one I can find from back then dealing with the pros and the cons:

And here is an article about the state of the Nation over this:

As for religious freedom, no one was trying to remove the mosque that was there. No one was trying to get Muslims out of lower Manhattan either. It was a very raw time in NY, and CAIR was the driving force behind a lot of bad feelings. This is something that might be lost in time. All I can find is propaganda left on the internet. I should have saved the published material from back then, but who would think we would be discussing it this still?

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.22  XXJefferson51  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.1.16    5 years ago

Was that the proposed ground zero mosque 🕌 or another one in the area?  

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
2.2  Cerenkov  replied to  JBB @2    5 years ago

So what? The left refers to all political opponents as Nazis. Where's your outrage there? 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.3  Vic Eldred  replied to  JBB @2    5 years ago
Bullshit like this demonizing Omar already resulted in rightwingers trying to kill her.

Prove it!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.3.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.3    5 years ago

Here come the apologists, eh Vic?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.3.2  Vic Eldred  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.3.1    5 years ago

Yup, they didn't have the fortitude to stand up against her anti Semitism, now she's the victim!

Snuffy
Professor Participates
2.3.3  Snuffy  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.3    5 years ago

It's reported that she's getting death threats.  Not sure I would equate that to actually trying to kill her however, but never question the ability for someone to expand on a headline...

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.3.4  Vic Eldred  replied to  Snuffy @2.3.3    5 years ago
It's reported that she's getting death threats.

Anyone can easily claim that - It has the dual benefits of demonizing those on the other side as well as limiting criticism

epistte
Junior Guide
2.3.5  epistte  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.3    5 years ago
Prove it!

Here is your proof that a Trump supporter threatened to put a bullet in her head. 

ELMIRA, N.Y. – A New York man is in custody after federal authorities say he threatened to kill freshman Congresswoman  Rep. Ilhan Omar .

Patrick W. Carlineo, 55, of Addison, was arrested Friday morning and charged by criminal complaint with threatening to assault and murder Omar, a Democrat representing Minnesota. 

On March 21, a staff member in Omar's office received a phone call around 12:20 p.m., the criminal complaint states. During the call, an individual, eventually identified as Carlineo, allegedly said to the staff member, "Do you work for the Muslim Brotherhood? Why are you working for her, she's an (expletive) terrorist. I’ll put a bullet in her (expletive) skull."

epistte
Junior Guide
2.3.7  epistte  replied to  gooseisgone @2.3.6    5 years ago
Yes, there are bad people everywhere let's not forget the angry democrat James Hodgkinson who actually went out and shot Republicans.  However neither of these people are in our US Congress.

Hey, it's a squirrel........................--------->

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.3.8  XXJefferson51  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.3.2    5 years ago

Indeed.  Now instead of taking her to task they blame the President for rightly calling her out on that comment.  

epistte
Junior Guide
2.3.10  epistte  replied to  gooseisgone @2.3.9    5 years ago
I'll advise everyone to wear Kevlar to practice.

I am not condoning what he did because it was very wrong.  I'd like for you to admit that the man who threatened to kill the Muslim member of Congress was a conservative and a trump supporter instead of trying to deflect attention and say that someone else did it too.

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
2.3.11  arkpdx  replied to  epistte @2.3.10    5 years ago
say that someone else did it too.

[deleted [ Phrases meant to denigrate are not allowed (e.g. ‘your ilk’). ]]

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
2.3.12  arkpdx  replied to  epistte @2.3.10    5 years ago

Good to see that your cough is better. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
3  Dulay    5 years ago

Looks like the editorial board of the NY Post has 'Barr' syndrome. They take a sentence out of context, chop it up and then give the reader a summary that spins the content. 

It's sad to see this kind of pablum seeded here. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Dulay @3    5 years ago

Sorry Dulay going to disagree with you on this. Here is her full quote:

“Far too long we have lived with the discomfort of being a second-class citizen, and frankly, I’m tired of it, and every single Muslim in this country should be tired of it,” Omar said at the event. “CAIR was founded after 9/11 because they recognized that some people did something and that all of us were starting to lose access to our civil liberties.”

She is talking about their own self interests with no regard of what happened on 9/11. That is not acceptable. Over 3,000 people died that day. Countless others are still dying. So, it was not "some people" but freaking terrorists. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.1.2  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Release The Kraken @3.1.1    5 years ago

Also disgusting is the fact that Republicans are trying to cut off funding to the 9/11 fund, while people are still dying. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.1.3  Dulay  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.1    5 years ago

Actually that too is a truncation of what she said.

HERE is her full statement of that part of her speech in context:

The truth is you can go to school and be a good student. You can listen to your dad and mom and become a doctor. You can have that beautiful wedding that makes mom and dad happy. You can buy that beautiful house. But none of that stuff matters if you one day show up to the hospital and your wife, or maybe yourself, is having a baby, and you can’t have the access that you need because someone doesn’t recognize you as fully human.

It doesn’t matter how good you were if you can’t have your prayer mat and take your 15-minute break to go pray in a country that was founded on religious liberty. It doesn’t matter how good you are if you one day find yourself in a school where other religions are talked about, but when Islam is mentioned, we are only talking about terrorists. And if you say something, you are sent to the principal’s office. So to me, I say, raise hell; make people uncomfortable.

Because here’s the truth -- here’s the truth: Far too long, we have lived with the discomfort of being a second-class citizen, and frankly, I’m tired of it, and every single Muslim in this country should be tired of it. CAIR was founded after 9/11 because they recognized that some people did something and that all of us were starting to lose access to our civil liberties. So you can’t just say that today someone is looking at me strange, that I am going to try to make myself look pleasant. You have to say, “This person is looking at me strange. I am not comfortable with it. I am going to go talk to them and ask them why.” Because that is a right you have.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.4  JohnRussell  replied to  Release The Kraken @3.1.1    5 years ago

[deleted]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.1.5  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Dulay @3.1.3    5 years ago

Sorry Dulay, I've heard it all. And it would have come off sincere if she actually said this:

CAIR was founded after 9/11 because they recognized that 19 terrorists murdered 3,000 people but it seemed that their actions were affecting all of us and we were starting to lose access to our civil liberties. 

Do you see the difference?

After some of her previous remarks, you would think that she would take more care with her verbiage, but she doesn't, because this is who she is. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.6  JohnRussell  replied to  Dulay @3.1.3    5 years ago

This is what I think. Omar said something in a way that was bound to get many people mad at her. She should have took the time to phrase it in a different way or not mention 9-11 at all.  I agree that 9-11 is only a small part of the point she was making, but it is, rightfully, a very sensitive topic with the vast majority of Americans. I think someone like Perrie, who saw the buildings crumble in person, has a right to have her view be the preeminent one. 

Time will tell if Omar is pro terrorist or is just misunderstood by those looking for a reson to dislike Muslims. We'll all know soon enough by her words and actions in office. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.1.8  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.4    5 years ago

How is this comment:

Omar attempted to trivialize the loss of life on that day. Completely disgusting!

Even be remotely anti Arab? BTW, she is not an Arab. She is from Somali, which makes her African.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.10  JohnRussell  replied to  Release The Kraken @3.1.7    5 years ago
As to the smell? Find one actual link, it never happened. That comment is a lie.

Oh please, you know you did it.   I cant find all your old comments because you had them all deleted at one point. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.12  JohnRussell  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.1.8    5 years ago

I didnt ask him if he was anti-Somali. I asked him if he is anti-Muslim. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.14  JohnRussell  replied to  Release The Kraken @3.1.11    5 years ago

lol.

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.1.16  Dulay  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.6    5 years ago
I think someone like Perrie, who saw the buildings crumble in person, has a right to have her view be the preeminent one. 

I have no issue with someone having their own opinion. I merely feel that it should be based on the full facts instead of the edited version from a publication with an agenda. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.1.17  Dulay  replied to  gooseisgone @3.1.15    5 years ago
What exactly people did. 

Context is irrelevant. /s

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.1.18  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Dulay @3.1.16    5 years ago
I have no issue with someone having their own opinion. I merely feel that it should be based on the full facts instead of the edited version from a publication with an agenda. 

And I gave it to you, and I also showed you how she should have said it, instead of making excuses for her callous behavior, which we are becoming very used to. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.1.19  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.12    5 years ago

You asked him both. # 3.1.4  

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.21  JohnRussell  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.1.19    5 years ago
You asked him both. #3.1.4 

If you think I asked him if he is anti-Somali please give the comment number. There aren't that many of them here. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.1.22  Dulay  replied to    5 years ago
She refused to admit the fact that militant Muslim terrorists did it.

This was a SPEECH, not a question and answer session. No one asked her to 'admit' anything, therefore she didn't 'refuse to admit' anything. That's just making shit up. 

Why stand up for and apologize for this anti-American, anti-Christian, anti-Semitic POS.

I am standing up for FACTS. Why are you so against reviewing the context of her comment? 

I didn't 'apologize' for anything or anyone. Stop making false accusations. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.1.23  Dulay  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.1.18    5 years ago
And I gave it to you, and I also showed you how she should have said it, instead of making excuses for her callous behavior, which we are becoming very used to. 

Where did I make excuses for her Perrie? 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.24  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @3.1.22    5 years ago
I am standing up for FACTS. Why are you so against reviewing the context of her comment?

Like the "fact" that CAIR was "was founded after 9/11 because they recognized that some people did something, and [Muslims] were starting to lose access to our civil liberties.”?

LMAO!

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
3.1.25  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Dulay @3.1.3    5 years ago

Still self serving no matter how she tries to spin it...

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.1.26  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Dulay @3.1.23    5 years ago

Dulay,

I will grant you that you didn't say those exact words, but by saying that I didn't know the context in which she made her comment is implying what she said was OK. It wasn't. She does the Muslim community no favor by her poor choice of words. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.29  Vic Eldred  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.1    5 years ago

I'm with ya!

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.30  Vic Eldred  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.1.2    5 years ago

You lost me

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.31  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.24    5 years ago
Council on American–Islamic Relations · Founded
9/11 - 2001

MrFrost
Professor Expert
3.1.33  MrFrost  replied to    5 years ago
Yup, it's who she is, a Muslim terrorist supporter 

Hmmm, I wonder what you think of trump after he supported MBS post Kishogi [sp] murder? Speaking of 9/11, didn't Saudi Arabia give us 15 of those hijackers? Must be a real comfort to the victims and their families knowing trump just sold them 1.6 billion dollars in weapons. By your own argument, trump is a Muslim terrorist supporter. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5  Texan1211    5 years ago

Is it just me, or does anyone else believe that someone standing up for CAIR would at least know that they were formed long 

before 9/11?

Why would she lie about that? What was the purpose of the lie?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  Texan1211 @5    5 years ago
What was the purpose of the lie?

It fit her little narrative that Americans turned on Muslim Americans after 9/11.  Normally that does happen. It happened to Japanese Americans and German Americans, but it does not happen these days. 

I want to see some reporters go out to Minneapolis an interview the individuals that voted for her.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.1    5 years ago
"I want to see some reporters go out to Minneapolis an interview the individuals that voted for her."

Me too. I especially would like to know what the Jewish voters who supported her are thinking. Of course there are Jews who are ignorant enough to support BDS so THEY won't care.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1.2  Vic Eldred  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.1.1    5 years ago
Of course there are Jews who are ignorant enough to support BDS so THEY won't care.

Ignorance? or Ideology?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.1.2    5 years ago

You're right, but if it's ideology, then they need to tour Auschwitz or Yad Vashem.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1.4  Vic Eldred  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.1.3    5 years ago

Elie Wiesel has only been gone about 3 years and already they have forgotten his warning

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5.1.5  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.1.1    5 years ago

Buzz,

Minnesota's Jewish population is about 46,000 for a state of 5.6 million. That means they make up less than .8% of the population. And there is a reason for that. During the 30's and 40's it had the reputation of being the most anti Semitic state in the country. 

In the 1930s and 1940s, Minneapolis had the dubious distinction of being one of the most anti-Semitic cities in America.

In fact, after visiting the city in 1946, prominent journalist and lecturer Carey McWilliams wrote that "One might even say, with a measure of justification, that Minneapolis is the capitol of anti-Semitism in the United States."

McWilliams pointed to an Iron Curtain separating the Jewish population from almost every part of gentile life — including finding jobs, buying houses and even shopping at certain stores. It's a separation that seemed to have been there since the city's beginnings.

Historians say Minneapolis had more anti-Semitic preachers than most cities, and its chapter of the fascist hate group, the Silver Shirts, was believed to be one of the nation's largest.

All this hate was directed at a community of only 16,000 — about 3 percent of the city's population.

That hate seeped into the 1938 gubernatorial race when Republican Harold Stassen, along with his supporters, waged a campaign of anti-Semitic innuendo. Silver Shirts leaders also campaigned against DFL incumbent Elmer Benson, warning the public: "If it can't be done with ballots now, there must be bullets later."

The Minnesota Jewish Council was formed to investigate complaints of discrimination in this contentious, dangerous atmosphere.

And discrimination was rampant — Jews were routinely denied work, housing and community. While this was commonplace in other cities across the nation, Minneapolis was unique in that it also denied Jewish citizens membership in service clubs.

Minnesota Public Radio producers John Biewen and Beth Friend explored that unsavory part of Minnesota's past in a documentary titled, "No Jews Allowed." It was originally broadcast in 1992.

So even if every Jew voted against her (they probably didn't), how much of an effect do you think it would have had? 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1.6  JohnRussell  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.1.5    5 years ago

In the 1930s and 1940s, Minneapolis had the dubious distinction of being one of the most anti-Semitic cities in America.

Germans in Minnesota | Minnesota Historical Society

www.mnhs.org/ mn hspress/books/ germans - minnesota

Minnesota is often associated with its Scandinavian heritage, but in fact Germans are the largest single immigrant group in Minnesota history

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1.7  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.1.5    5 years ago

Since the Jewish vote in Minnesota is so ineffective, why did Omar even bother to address that community, taking into consideration her true feelings?  What bothers me are the reports that she had Jewish support for her election - and I am not saying she should have been discriminated against because of her faith - but because of her antisemitism.  She had made it clear long before the election, and she was equivocal in her answers to the Jewish community, so they should have been wary but were too easily fooled. 

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
5.1.8  dave-2693993  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.1.7    5 years ago
What bothers me are the reports that she had Jewish support for her election

Our media is the pied piper.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5.1.9  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1.6    5 years ago

John,

That might be the reason, but according to what I have read, it still persists and hence why the Jewish population is so small. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1.10  JohnRussell  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.1.9    5 years ago

I believe that Minnesota has been "anti-semitic" over the decades because of the groups of people that settled in the region from northern Europe. 

epistte
Junior Guide
5.1.11  epistte  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1.6    5 years ago
Minnesota is often associated with its Scandinavian heritage, but in fact Germans are the largest single immigrant group in Minnesota history

Germans are the largest single immigrant group in the US, so Minnesota isn't special. Depending on the date and where you draw the borders both side of my family are German, or you could claim they are French and Austrian.

Minnesota has a wide variety of immigrants, including from SE Asia and Africa.

Minnesota's first large groups of immigrants arrived from Europe, primarily Norway, Sweden, Ireland, and Germany. Today, the majority of Minnesota's immigrants arrive from Mexico, India, Laos, and Somalia. About 7% of the state's population were born in foreign countries. Minnesota's foreign-born population includes a large number of refugees who have settled in the state. Hmong refugees began arriving in Minnesota in the mid-1970s, when the country of Laos was taken over by communist powers. Somali refugees began coming to Minnesota in the early 1990s after the collapse of the Somali government resulted in extreme violence. As of 2015, Minnesota has the largest Somali population in the United States and the second largest United States Hmong population .

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
5.1.12  XXJefferson51  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.1.2    5 years ago

Ideology.  Some progressive domestic Jews are breaking with Israel and American Jews living in Israel over their ties to and good relationship with America’s President.  

cms5
Freshman Quiet
5.2  cms5  replied to  Texan1211 @5    5 years ago
Is it just me, or does anyone else believe that someone standing up for CAIR would at least know that they were formed long  before 9/11?

It's rather simple to look up. CAIR was 'established in 1994'.

“Far too long we have lived with the discomfort of being a second-class citizen, and frankly, I’m tired of it, and every single Muslim in this country should be tired of it,” Omar said at the event. “CAIR was founded after 9/11 because they recognized that some people did something and that all of us were starting to lose access to our civil liberties.”

The above is from her speech. CAIR was not founded after 9/11, but it appears that she wanted it to seem that way. She then says, 'some people did something', to emphasize how this Nation treated Muslims after the attack. She goes on to claim 'all of us were starting to lose access to our civil liberties'. There are a thousand ways she could have conveyed her message. She was incorrect about CAIR and her choice of words was not considerate of those who lost loved ones in that hateful attack on this Nation. She is a public figure, and frankly...if she doesn't want to be called out...she needs to choose her words wisely, or she will find herself on front pages in an unflattering way.

Do we think she's anti-american? No...just really inconsiderate of the suffering of anyone other than herself.

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
6  The Magic 8 Ball    5 years ago

don't ask a question if you're not ready for the answer.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
7  Sean Treacy    5 years ago

Who knew 9/11 would be denigrated as just "something that happened" by an elected US politician?

Like describing  Pearl Harbor as some guys flying around Hawaii...