╌>

House Democrats try to force schools to allow boys to compete in girls’ sports

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  gooseisgone  •  5 years ago  •  209 comments

House Democrats try to force schools to allow boys to compete in girls’ sports
“Opponents of equality in athletics for transgender athletes have argued that girls who are transgender have unfair physiological advantages over cisgender girls and as a result, will dominate women’s competitive sports,”

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Every House Democrat but one has co-sponsored a bill requiring schools to allow male athletes who identify as transgender girls to compete on female sports teams.

Democrats’ Equality Act would amend the Civil Rights Act of 1964 to make “sexual orientation and gender identity” protected characteristics under federal anti-discrimination law. Among other things, the bill would force public schools to expand female athletic teams to include biological males who identify as transgender girls.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2  It Is ME    5 years ago

If you can't beat the "Boys", the Democrats will put you where you "Deserve" to be !

So much for "Women's Rights" !

Don Overton
Sophomore Quiet
2.1  Don Overton  replied to  It Is ME @2    5 years ago

what a lying set of comments and such a sweeping generalization 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  Don Overton @2.1    5 years ago
what a lying set of comments

Which part ?

luther28
Sophomore Silent
3  luther28    5 years ago

We may actually have managed to transcend absurd.

Don Overton
Sophomore Quiet
3.2  Don Overton  replied to  luther28 @3    5 years ago

[delete]

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5  Tacos!    5 years ago

I'm not sure it would achieve the result they want. Sex is already protected, but that doesn't prevent schools from sexually segregating the sports. In fact, the Title IX statutes expressly require that equivalent resources be invested in male and female sports.

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
6  The Magic 8 Ball    5 years ago

today's democrats are something else,  if they can not fuk something up, they want to ban it.

epistte
Junior Guide
7  epistte    5 years ago
Democrats’ Equality Act would amend the Civil Rights Act of 1964 to make “sexual orientation and gender identity” protected characteristics under federal anti-discrimination law. Among other things, the bill would force public schools to expand female athletic teams to include biological males who identify as transgender girls.

Adding gender identity and sexual orientation to the protected classes of the 1964 Civil Rights Act is a great step forward to protecting all Americans equally. Both gay and hetero, as well as trans and CIS, plus those who are bisexual and gender fluid. 

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
7.1  Jack_TX  replied to  epistte @7    5 years ago
Adding gender identity and sexual orientation to the protected classes of the 1964 Civil Rights Act is a great step forward to protecting all Americans equally.

It's a great step back for Title IX, which is a stupid law anyway, IMO, so this would just increase that stupidity exponentially.

epistte
Junior Guide
7.1.1  epistte  replied to  Jack_TX @7.1    5 years ago
It's a great step back for Title IX, which is a stupid law anyway, IMO, so this would just increase that stupidity exponentially.

How is it a step back for Title IX? How do women lose when LGBT have equal protections against discrimination?

Why shouldn't LGBT people be protected equally by adding sexual orientation and gender identity to protected classes? Will you lose anything when it happens?

Rmando
Sophomore Silent
7.1.2  Rmando  replied to  epistte @7.1.1    5 years ago

Because real women and girls lose when men and boys are allowed to compete against them in sports- at least most of the time. These teenage boys who claim to be female have an unfair physical advantage. That's the whole reason sports are divided by gender. No amount of injections or medical quackery is going to change that.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
7.1.3  Jack_TX  replied to  epistte @7.1.1    5 years ago
How is it a step back for Title IX? How do women lose when LGBT have equal protections against discrimination?

Title IX exists to give girls equal opportunities to play.  When we allow boys to play in their stead, we defeat the purpose of the law.

Why shouldn't LGBT people be protected equally by adding sexual orientation and gender identity to protected classes?

Why shouldn't short people?  Fat people?  Why shouldn't redheads?  How about women who prefer short men, or men who prefer blonds with big boobs?    

Will you lose anything when it happens?

Personally?  Not at all.  Since when is that a qualifier for thinking a law is a bad idea?  90% of liberals benefitted from the Trump tax cut.  They still think it's a stupid idea.

epistte
Junior Guide
7.1.4  epistte  replied to  Jack_TX @7.1.3    5 years ago
Why shouldn't short people?  Fat people?  Why shouldn't redheads?  How about women who prefer short men, or men who prefer blonds with big boobs?    

Are there instances that they are being discriminated against because of those characteristics?

Personally?  Not at all.  Since when is that a qualifier for thinking a law is a bad idea?  90% of liberals benefitted from the Trump tax cut.  They still think it's a stupid idea.

The tax cut added trillions to the debt, it didn't create the claimed jobs, it benefited those who are already wealthy, it took money out of circulation and it isn't good public policy. We need to think as an interconnected society and not just 350 million seperate people living in close proximity. Spending those same trillions on infastructre repairs and upgrades would have been much more beneficial to the American people as a whole

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
7.1.5  Thrawn 31  replied to  Jack_TX @7.1.3    5 years ago
Title IX exists to give girls equal opportunities to play.  When we allow boys to play in their stead, we defeat the purpose of the law.

I agree. Amazing I know, but I think we are on the same side of this issue. You can grow your hair out, put on makeup, have cosmetic surgery all you like, but that doesn't change your genetics. And when it comes to something where genetics are 75% of it (and it is, train as hard as I might Usain Bolt will always waste me in a sprint even if he doesn't train for a year), well you have an advantage if you are genetically male and competing against women. 

No offense intended ladies, just acknowledging the general biological differences between the two sexes. 

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
7.1.6  Thrawn 31  replied to  Jack_TX @7.1    5 years ago
It's a great step back for Title IX, which is a stupid law anyway

That I completely disagree with. Was the Civil Rights Act stupid to begin with? It is the exact same thing. 

epistte
Junior Guide
7.1.7  epistte  replied to  Thrawn 31 @7.1.5    5 years ago
I agree. Amazing I know, but I think we are on the same side of this issue. You can grow your hair out, put on makeup, have cosmetic surgery all you like, but that doesn't change your genetics. And when it comes to something where genetics are 75% of it (and it is, train as hard as I might Usain Bolt will always waste me in a sprint even if he doesn't train for a year), well you have an advantage if you are genetically male and competing against women. 

No offense intended ladies, just acknowledging the general biological differences between the two sexes. 

A person's genetics determines their biological gender but it does always determine a person's gender identity.  It is that incongruent gender identity that makes a person transgendered.  They are not playing dress up and the surgery is not cosmetic. 

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
7.1.8  Thrawn 31  replied to  epistte @7.1.7    5 years ago
A person's genetics determines their biological gender but it does always determine a person's gender identity. 

I totally get that, and am not arguing that point. And I prefer the word sex to gender, it is much more specific and applicable to the current topic. If you are genetically male, then you will naturally produce more testosterone, which increases muscles mass and thus strength (and aggression, but that's a totally different discussion). 

That has the effect of generally making a person bigger, stronger, and faster. In normal life this is not an issue, but when it comes to sports this issue is HUGE. A person's gender is not the issue, it is their bio chemistry that is the issue. 

It is that incongruent gender identity that makes a person transgendered.  They are not playing dress up and the surgery is not cosmetic. 

My point was that no amount of surgery or clothes or whatever in the fuck else is going to change a person's body chemistry. Now of course you can boost and reduce hormones, which will level the playing field to a degree. That is another issue, but excluding that if you are born male you play in the male divisions and vice versa IMO.

To highlight my position, let's just say that Giannis Antetokounmpo felt that he is actually a she and then wants to play in the WNBA, the result would be an absurdity. 

epistte
Junior Guide
7.1.9  epistte  replied to  Thrawn 31 @7.1.8    5 years ago
I totally get that, and am not arguing that point. And I prefer the word sex to gender, it is much more specific and applicable to the current topic. If you are genetically male, then you will naturally produce more testosterone, which increases muscles mass and thus strength (and aggression, but that's a totally different discussion). 

Sex and gender are different. Sex is a physical act of mating. Gender is the person's male or female, either their biological gender or their psychological gender identity, which is their male or female sense of self. 

The hormones and hormone blockers override their biological hormones and force their body to align with their psychological gender identity. 

My point was that no amount of surgery or clothes or whatever in the fuck else is going to change a person's body chemistry. Now of course you can boost and reduce hormones, which will level the playing field to a degree. That is another issue, but excluding that if you are born male you play in the male divisions and vice versa IMO.

It does change their body chemistry, quite dramatically.

epistte
Junior Guide
7.1.10  epistte  replied to  Thrawn 31 @7.1.8    5 years ago
To highlight my position, let's just say that Giannis Antetokounmpo felt that he is actually a she and then wants to play in the WNBA, the result would be an absurdity. 

If she has been on an effective dose of HRT/blockers for 6 months to a year so they have female hormone levels, and a diagnosis of transgendered, any physical advantage would be lost.  Those hormones also change a person mentally, muting the male aggression.

Don Overton
Sophomore Quiet
7.1.11  Don Overton  replied to  Jack_TX @7.1    5 years ago

[deleted]

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
7.1.12  Thrawn 31  replied to  epistte @7.1.9    5 years ago
Sex and gender are different.

Absolutely.

Sex is a physical act of mating.

I am talking biological sex, male and female. Not the act of mating. 

Gender is the person's male or female, either their biological gender or their psychological gender identity

And that right there is the difference between sex and gender. Sex is your genetic classification (granted there are some people who are indeed both) and gender is more or less which sex you identify with on an individual basis. Sex and gender are two terms that have VERY different meanings in the scientific community. 

The hormones and hormone blockers override their biological hormones and force their body to align with their psychological gender identity. 

They definitely override the body's natural processes, but as soon as you stop taking them then your body does what it is geared to do. How to handle and monitor that is up to the folks who run these leagues. 

It does change their body chemistry, quite dramatically.

Not without the hormones. My wife can put some make up on me and I can go get a tit job, but if I go into the gym I will bench more than any woman in there. The biochemistry is what it all comes down to.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
7.1.13  Thrawn 31  replied to  epistte @7.1.10    5 years ago
If she has been on an effective dose of HRT/blockers for 6 months to a year so they have female hormone levels, and a diagnosis of transgendered, any physical advantage would be lost.  Those hormones also change a person mentally, muting the male aggression.

Very true. And that really comes down to the ultimate point I am looking to make (although not very well admittedly). If you are a transgender male and want to play in the women's divisions, then you need to go all the way. Start pounding those hormones, lower that testosterone and boost that estrogen.

Your bio chemistry needs to be roughly that of your competitors. If it is not then you play in the division more suited to you.

epistte
Junior Guide
7.1.14  epistte  replied to  Thrawn 31 @7.1.13    5 years ago
Very true. And that really comes down to the ultimate point I am looking to make (although not very well admittedly). If you are a transgender male and want to play in the women's divisions, then you need to go all the way. Start pounding those hormones, lower that testosterone and boost that estrogen. Your bio chemistry needs to be roughly that of your competitors. If it is not then you play in the division more suited to you.

6 months on effective HRT to biological natal levels for their identified gender, and a qualified doctor's diagnosis would be sufficient before the start of the athletic season. 

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
7.1.15  Thrawn 31  replied to  epistte @7.1.14    5 years ago

And if that is the case, then alright, whatever. 

But only as long as that is the case. Anything less and you play with the boys.

\

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
7.1.16  Jack_TX  replied to  epistte @7.1.4    5 years ago
Are there instances that they are being discriminated against because of those characteristics?

Absolutely.  

The tax cut added trillions to the debt, it didn't create the claimed jobs, it benefited those who are already wealthy, it took money out of circulation and it isn't good public policy.

And nearly every American got to keep more of their money.  So if the litmus test is personal impact, almost no American should oppose it.  

Therefore the litmus test shouldn't be personal impact.  My point exactly.

epistte
Junior Guide
7.1.17  epistte  replied to  Thrawn 31 @7.1.12    5 years ago
They definitely override the body's natural processes, but as soon as you stop taking them then your body does what it is geared to do. How to handle and monitor that is up to the folks who run these leagues. 

The same blood tests that students undergo to check if they are taking performance enhancing drugs, illegal drugs, or alcohol.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
7.1.18  Jack_TX  replied to  Thrawn 31 @7.1.6    5 years ago
That I completely disagree with. Was the Civil Rights Act stupid to begin with? It is the exact same thing.

I think Title IX is stupid because I think we need a complete overhaul on how we think about scholastic athletics.

The amount of money we spend on these programs is beyond ridiculous, and most of these kids are already playing these sports outside of school.  The off-field benefits of these programs are well established, but there is no evidence to suggest that money wouldn't get better results if it were spent in the classroom....which is....after all... where school is supposed to happen.

The average collegiate women's hockey program loses over $1million/yr.  The average baseball program loses $700k.  Meanwhile the inflation rate on college tuition is more than double the overall inflation rate.  So we're making non-athletes subsidize 22 girls while they pursue an activity nobody cares about enough to watch.

Even on the HS level, the money spent to build gymnasiums and indoor practice facilities and 20,000 seater stadiums is idiotic.  Not to mention the money spent on equipment, coaching stipends, additional teachers to cover classes coaches don't teach, travel, insurance, uniforms and on and on and on.

In most schools, the only sports that generate enough revenue to cover their costs are football and men's basketball.  I think we could keep those, lose the rest, and we'd have much better schools.

BTW....I've coached for 27 years, my son was a 3 sport athlete in HS and an NCAA baseball player.  Sure...I enjoyed watching him play and he loved it.  But if I'm honest....the money spent on both HS and college baseball is better spent somewhere else.

Title IX simply takes that problem and multiplies it. 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
7.2  Greg Jones  replied to  epistte @7    5 years ago
gender fluid

WTF is that?

epistte
Junior Guide
7.2.1  epistte  replied to  Greg Jones @7.2    5 years ago
WTF is that?

If male is the far right and female is the far left, gender fluid means that they identify as neither absolutely male or female. They are also not androgynous. 

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
7.2.2  Cerenkov  replied to  Greg Jones @7.2    5 years ago

It's made up. Like most liberal "science".

epistte
Junior Guide
7.2.3  epistte  replied to  Cerenkov @7.2.2    5 years ago
It's made up. Like most liberal "science".

You need to understand that our psychological gender identity isn't binary. Our biological gender is also not binary because intersexxed people exist, as do XXY and XYY people.  

People obviously aren't always heterosexual or homosexual because various shades of bisexuality also exist. You would do well to educate yourself about the details of human sexuality. 

Phoenyx13
Sophomore Silent
7.2.4  Phoenyx13  replied to  epistte @7.2.3    5 years ago
You need to understand that our psychological gender identity isn't binary. Our biological gender is also not binary because intersexxed people exist, as do XXY and XYY people.   People obviously aren't always heterosexual or homosexual because various shades of bisexuality also exist. You would do well to educate yourself about the details of human sexuality.

it's pretty simple to understand and easy to comprehend for most people... but you should always know your target audience

epistte
Junior Guide
7.2.5  epistte  replied to  Phoenyx13 @7.2.4    5 years ago
it's pretty simple to understand and easy to comprehend for most people... but you should always know your target audience

What color of crayon should I use to create the Venn diagrams? 

This should not be a difficult idea to comprehend but many people get caught up in their own emotions or religious beliefs. 

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
7.2.6  Cerenkov  replied to  epistte @7.2.3    5 years ago

Yeah. It's binary. Study some biology not new wave idealogy. 

epistte
Junior Guide
7.2.7  epistte  replied to  Cerenkov @7.2.6    5 years ago
Yeah. It's binary. Study some biology not new wave idealogy. 

Your declaration is proof that you do not understand even the most basic ideas of human sexuality. I do have to wonder why you want everything to be a simple black and white instead of the many shades of grey in reality. 

Gender and sexuality aren't binary because if it was then bisexual and intersexxed people would not exist. A persons gender identity is also not binary because not every is 100% male or female in their drives and opinions. 

Univ. of Minnesota.

National Institute of Health,

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
7.2.8  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Greg Jones @7.2    5 years ago

In 2 words - Mental Illness.

epistte
Junior Guide
7.2.9  epistte  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @7.2.8    5 years ago
In 2 words - Mental Illness.

If a person can be bisexual,  then why can't they be fluidic in their gender expression?  Is being bisexual also a mental illness? 

Phoenyx13
Sophomore Silent
7.2.10  Phoenyx13  replied to  epistte @7.2.5    5 years ago
What color of crayon should I use to create the Venn diagrams? 

their "best" tactic is to conflate biological sex with gender or just completely dismiss gender identity as if it didn't exist... personally, i think you should go with "pretty" colors that they will pay attention to, maybe take a poll to find out their favorite colors and go from there :)

epistte
Junior Guide
7.2.11  epistte  replied to  Phoenyx13 @7.2.10    5 years ago

personally, i think you should go with "pretty" colors that they will pay attention to, maybe take a poll to find out their favorite colors and go from there. 

I should get a roll of newsprint and Prismacolor markers in all of the colors of the rainbow flag. It will be glorious! I could use MS Powerpoint but I hate those presentations.  

Phoenyx13
Sophomore Silent
7.2.12  Phoenyx13  replied to  epistte @7.2.11    5 years ago
Prismacolor markers in all of the colors of the rainbow flag

oh be careful with that... we have another article on here that says a lot of the religious are " triggered " by the Rainbow Flag ...  jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif

epistte
Junior Guide
7.2.13  epistte  replied to  Phoenyx13 @7.2.12    5 years ago
oh be careful with that... we have another article on here that says a lot of the religious are "triggered" by the Rainbow Flag...

When I am finished with my presentation there will be glitter falling like rain, unicorns will dance ion the streets and Ray Davies, Lady Gag and Elton John will sing the Kinks anthem to transgendered love, Lola.  The world will join hands and sing along in unity and 3 part harmony for eternity. 

Queen Elizabeth and the Pope will  declare that crime and discrimination have ended.

Phoenyx13
Sophomore Silent
7.2.15  Phoenyx13  replied to  epistte @7.2.13    5 years ago
When I am finished with my presentation there will be glitter falling like rain, unicorns will dance ion the streets and Ray Davies, Lady Gag and Elton John will sing the Kinks anthem to transgendered love, Lola.  The world will join hands and sing along in unity and 3 part harmony for eternity.   Queen Elizabeth and the Pope will  declare that crime and discrimination have ended.

oh it shall be glorious !! Sunshine will be forevermore in the sky ! And everyone will get ice cream sundaes with extra sprinkles and a cherry on top ! yay !!!!! jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_81_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_36_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_24_smiley_image.gif

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
8  Thrawn 31    5 years ago

Hmmm, this is an.. interesting situation. IMO if you are trans and ID as a girl, you still have to participate in the male divisions, and vice versa. Surgery doesn't change genetics. 

Don Overton
Sophomore Quiet
8.1  Don Overton  replied to  Thrawn 31 @8    5 years ago

Prove it

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
8.1.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  Don Overton @8.1    5 years ago

I can get tits but still bench more than any woman on the campus that I work at.

A boob job does not alter my level of testosterone. 

epistte
Junior Guide
8.1.2  epistte  replied to  Thrawn 31 @8.1.1    5 years ago

6 months on spironolactone would accomplish that, plus the proper dose of estrogen/estradiol. 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
8.1.3  Greg Jones  replied to  epistte @8.1.2    5 years ago

[deleted]

epistte
Junior Guide
8.1.4  epistte  replied to  Greg Jones @8.1.3    5 years ago
Did you personally go through this regimen?

I am not transgendered, so the answer would be no.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
10  Sean Treacy    5 years ago

[delete]

epistte
Junior Guide
10.1  epistte  replied to  Sean Treacy @10    5 years ago
deleted for context, by Charger383  

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
11  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

At least I'm not confused. I grew up learning and thinking that girls were girls and boys were boys and there actually were differences between them.  Now, perhaps due to advances in medical science, it seems that boys can become girls and girls can become boys - wow!  Human interchangeability. What's next?  This...?

half-horse-half-man-620x400.jpg

maui-splash-mermaid-tail_main-20.jpg

Or this....

Non-Homogenized-Milk-3.jpg

Tessylo
Professor Principal
11.1  Tessylo  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @11    5 years ago

That's idiotic buzz.  

It Is ME
Masters Guide
13  It Is ME    5 years ago

Equality !