Dems gave $27M to children of illegal immigrants – not vets

Via:  1stwarrior  •  6 days ago  •  141 comments

Dems gave $27M to children of illegal immigrants – not vets

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

ALBANY— Democrats set aside $27 million in tuition assistance for the children of undocumented immigrants in the new state budget — but wouldn’t add hundreds of thousands of dollars to expand a similar program for kids of deceased and disabled veterans.

A bill that has twice passed the state Senate — but never made it through the Assembly — would have added funding to a program that provides free tuition, room and board at any SUNY or CUNY college to children, spouses and financial dependents of “fallen soldiers” who died, became severely disabled or were classified as missing in action while serving in the military after 1990.

Such a program already exists and serves 145 students at a cost of $2.7 million — but only for relatives and dependents of vets who served in combat zones.

The Assembly Higher Education Committee voted 15-11 against allocating more funds to the program as part of the state budget.

Assemblywoman Deborah Glick (D-Manhattan), who chairs the committee, said budget constraints weighed against the program expansion, which she estimated would have cost several hundred thousand dollars.

“We will make every effort to ensure going forward, we have some additional resources allocated to the program so that as an entitlement, it is not falling short of the needs of our military families,” she said.

But State Sen. Robert Ortt (R-Niagara), a sponsor of the measure, said the Assembly’s failure to act sends a distressing signal to military families.

“Assemblywoman Glick should be ashamed of herself,” said Ortt. “We set aside $27 million dollars for college for people that are here illegally… Apparently $2.7 million is all that the families of soldiers who are killed, get. If you’re a child of a fallen solider, you do not rank as high and you know that by the money.”

Glick called the criticism a “cheap shot” on Twitter.

“The bill-though laudable-had a budgetary impact which the committee routinely doesn’t consider post-budget. We did promise to see funding in the future [that] considers potential additional eligible individuals. Cheap shot,” she wrote.

Assemblywoman Judy Griffin (D-L.I), one of four Assembly Democrats who voted in favor of the bill, said it should be a priority next year.

“I voted for the bill because I think it’s important, especially after that FDNY firefighter was killed in Afghanistan, so heartbreaking. But I voted yes knowing the bill would be held because it was a tough budget year and as the chairwoman said, there just wasn’t the funding in the budget. But now we know for next year, [so] we will make it a priority and hopefully pass it.”

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
Find text within the comments Find 

1stwarrior
1  seeder  1stwarrior    6 days ago

Assemblywoman Glick should be ashamed of herself,” said Ortt. “We set aside $27 million dollars for college for people that are here illegally… Apparently $2.7 million is all that the families of soldiers who are killed, get. If you’re a child of a fallen solider, you do not rank as high and you know that by the money.”

You have got to be friggin' kiddin' me????  Illegal Aliens ahead of Vets and their dependents????

Texan1211
1.1  Texan1211  replied to  1stwarrior @1    6 days ago

Really the only thing I'm surprised by is that it wasn't California.

But besides geography, what's the difference?

Paula Bartholomew
1.1.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1    6 days ago

Clean your own house before you comment on mine.

lib50
1.1.2  lib50  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @1.1.1    6 days ago

I know, do they ever examine their own disbursements?  And WTF is going on with the gop when they don't have a problem with Trump actually asking his appointees to break the law and he will pardon them?  Here is what the gop really does with veterans. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/charlestiefer/2018/06/08/veterans-sustain-two-serious-defeats-from-trump-and-the-house-to-va-health-care/#11c62fbb2c5a

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2018-11/siot-t111518.php

Republicans are viewed as the party of veterans, public opinion and voting data says so. But in her new book, Congress and U.S. Veterans: From the GI Bill to the VA Crisis, Stevens Lindsey Cormack questions how that came to be, as her research shows that congressional Democrats, more often than not, are the ones working to enhance veteran benefits. "On a continuum of legislative behavior, we have one end populated by the dedicated workhorses who draft legislation, hammer out compromises, and get into the weeds of complicated policy questions," Cormack writes in her book. "On the other end, there are show ponies that care more about pumping out media sound bites or trying to get the next 'viral' video on YouTube."

Texan1211
1.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @1.1.1    6 days ago
Clean your own house before you comment on mine.

What??

I made no comment about anyone's house.

SMH

Paula Bartholomew
1.1.4  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.3    6 days ago

I live in CA.

Texan1211
1.1.5  Texan1211  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @1.1.4    6 days ago
I live in CA.

That's nice.

What is the significance of it?

KDMichigan
1.1.6  KDMichigan  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @1.1.4    6 days ago
I live in CA.

I'm sorry.

Ed-NavDoc
1.1.7  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @1.1.4    5 days ago

You have my sympathies....jrSmiley_82_smiley_image.gif

Ed-NavDoc
1.2  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  1stwarrior @1    6 days ago

The Dems responsible for this should be their heads in shame and resign@

Paula Bartholomew
1.2.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.2    6 days ago

The Cheeto cuckaracho, a R, wants to dump all the illegals in sanctuary cities to insure our money and resources are drained.  He is the one who should hang his head and resign.  People bitch about the immigration laws, but where were the R's when they had control of both houses.  They had control and could have revamped the laws, but their cockiness led them to believe that they would always have control.

lib50
1.2.2  lib50  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.2    6 days ago

Try reading who actually FUNDS veterans affairs and who is more interested in sound bites.  The conservatives are the ones who should hang their heads in shame.  Actions speak louder than words.  Trump and the gop consider the vets 'takers'.  Talk about disrespect.

Here is one from 2014:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-veterans-congress/u-s-senate-republicans-block-veterans-health-bill-on-budget-worry-idUSBREA1Q26O20140227

This is nice.  Recent Trump proposals.  What's that about caring for veterans?

https://www.stripes.com/news/veterans/va-secretary-has-begun-planning-budget-cuts-requested-by-trump-1.556017

Department of Veterans Affairs Secretary Robert Wilkie said Friday that he has begun forming a plan to cut the agency’s budget as President Donald Trump requested during a Cabinet meeting last month.

But Wilkie refused to go into specifics about his thoughts on reducing the VA’s budget, saying he had yet to share them with Trump.

“I have been asked to offer ideas,” Wilkie said during a lunch-time speech at the National Press Club. “I can’t tell you because I haven’t presented it to the president.”

Trump made the budget request of each secretary in his Cabinet during an October meeting, citing an increase in spending in his first two years as president. He told Cabinet secretaries to “get rid of the fat” and suggested the cuts could be as much as 5 percent of each department's budget.

Texan1211
1.2.3  Texan1211  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @1.2.1    6 days ago

Sanctuary cities sound like an almost-perfect place to warehouse illegal aliens, if we just can't send them back to the country of origin.

bugsy
1.2.4  bugsy  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @1.2.1    5 days ago
The Cheeto cuckaracho, a R, wants to dump all the illegals in sanctuary cities to insure our money and resources are drained.

So what? Sanctuary city leaders have come out and set aside millions of dollars of their taxpayer monies to pay for illegal tuition and legal services for illegals. I truly hope he sends every single illegal in this country to nothing BUT sanctuary cities. Afterall, you voted for the leaders that embraced the idea of sanctuary, so in default, you approve of it too.

Maybe voters of these cities need to rethink who they voted for and vote next time based on real policy and not by feelings.

Vic Eldred
1.3  Vic Eldred  replied to  1stwarrior @1    6 days ago
You have got to be friggin' kiddin' me????  Illegal Aliens ahead of Vets and their dependents????

Unfortunately, that is part of progressive ideology.

Senator Chuck Schumer is from & represents New York. Did he weep when thousands were killed during the Twin Towers attack?

What did cause him to openly weep?

CHUCK-SCHUMER-CRIES-01-800x416.jpg

Split Personality
1.3.1  Split Personality  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.3    6 days ago

The new Bill was introduced 10 days AFTER the Budget was passed.

( Probably because it took that long for someone to see the political hay that could be scandalous )

Budgets are an annual event in government, not something done lightly or in a few weeks.

Both sides of the aisle and the Governor are completely onboard with revisiting the issue and making any necessary Legislative amendments or adjustments to the Gold Star Family

Benefits Program in the next few weeks before the end of this session.

It's been explained in the NY state and Albany news quite thoroughly.

Vic Eldred
1.3.2  Vic Eldred  replied to  Split Personality @1.3.1    6 days ago

Is that really addressed to me?

We may need a little moderation here. Have you looked?

1stwarrior
1.3.3  seeder  1stwarrior  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.3.2    6 days ago

Vic - SP can't moderate and participate in commenting also.

Think we might need to bring in another mod - you wanna ask them?

Texan1211
1.3.4  Texan1211  replied to  Split Personality @1.3.1    6 days ago
Budgets are an annual event in government, not something done lightly or in a few weeks.

So the legislature thought long and hard before allocating money to illegal aliens over US Citizens who voted them into office.

Both sides of the aisle and the Governor are completely onboard with revisiting the issue and making any necessary Legislative amendments or adjustments to the Gold Star Family

Would have been nice had the lawmakers thought of doing it before allocating money to illegal aliens over US citizens and before getting roasted over it.

It Is ME
1.3.5  It Is ME  replied to  Texan1211 @1.3.4    6 days ago
Would have been nice had the lawmakers thought of doing it before allocating money to illegal aliens over US citizens and before getting roasted over it.

It's just another one of those - "Vote for it so we know what's in it" - shit thought !

Vic Eldred
1.3.6  Vic Eldred  replied to  1stwarrior @1.3.3    6 days ago

I'll give it a try

Split Personality
1.3.7  Split Personality  replied to  1stwarrior @1.3.3    6 days ago

Sure why not

and maybe we can ask them why Chuck Schumer has anything to do with the NY State Legislature or

why we are bringing the 911 tragedy into the conversation as well

and not calling it off topic...

Just a thought.

Tessylo
1.4  Tessylo  replied to  1stwarrior @1    6 days ago

'but wouldn’t add hundreds of thousands of dollars to expand a similar program for kids of deceased and disabled veterans.'

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't funds provided for kids of deceased and disabled veterans anyway, through scholarship programs, grants, etc., etc.? 

What does this have to do with that?

1stwarrior
1.4.1  seeder  1stwarrior  replied to  Tessylo @1.4    6 days ago

Not necessarily Tess - depends on the circumstances.

Split Personality
1.4.2  Split Personality  replied to  Tessylo @1.4    6 days ago

It's strictly partisan angst that the existing Gold Star Family program was never considered

( because no one asked for it )

during the 2020 NYS budget process

and like NJ

NY is providing Dreamers financial aid if they can meet the stringent criteria ( like providing their parents tax returns )

10 days after the Governor signed the new budget, a Republican State Rep  started making noise that  the Gold Star families program should be looked at for additional funding

Now he has everyone's attention, and even though the budget was signed into law 11 days ago

there is complete bipartisan support, along with the Democrat Governor, to find a solution without having to wait until next years budget process.

Much to do about political shaming, nothing else.

1stwarrior
1.4.3  seeder  1stwarrior  replied to  Split Personality @1.4.2    6 days ago

Well, if you ask for a Dreamer's parents tax returns, in many cases there won't be one since they are "maybe" Illegal also.

Raven Wing
1.5  Raven Wing  replied to  1stwarrior @1    4 days ago
But besides geography, what's the difference?

Why not chastise your own party. Trump has spent far far more than 27m on his joke of a border wall, and he has not done anything more for the Vets than you claim the Dems did. The Republican dogma of party first is itself not above reproach.

Neither party is worth the powder to blow them to Hell.

bbl-1
2  bbl-1    6 days ago

$2.7 million is what the families of US slain soldiers receive now?  Damn.

In 1968-69 I served in Vietnam.  Had I lost my life while there my parents would have received $10,000.

So, the right wing complaint is what?

Buzz of the Orient
2.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  bbl-1 @2    6 days ago

I don't see that being the point of the article.

Don Overton
2.1.1  Don Overton  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1    6 days ago

[deleted]

Tacos!
2.2  Tacos!  replied to  bbl-1 @2    6 days ago

You're comparing the budget for a whole program (for, I'm guessing, many thousands of people) to what a single family would get.

And then you're comparing 1969 dollars to 2019 dollars.

Finally, you're comparing what your parents would have received to what children receive for school.

You're pretty much 0 for 3.

By the way (not that it's actually relevant here, but) on the issue of inflation, $10,000 in 1969 equates to $69,264.85 in 2019 money.

zuksam
2.3  zuksam  replied to  bbl-1 @2    6 days ago

And if you had been married with three kids how far would ten grand have gotten them.

Don Overton
2.3.1  Don Overton  replied to  zuksam @2.3    6 days ago

Wow what a idiotic comment

Vic Eldred
2.3.2  Vic Eldred  replied to  Don Overton @2.3.1    6 days ago

What do you mean the comment was?

Don Overton
2.3.3  Don Overton  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.3.2    4 days ago

Wow comprehension

1stwarrior
2.4  seeder  1stwarrior  replied to  bbl-1 @2    6 days ago

Learn to read - "Such a program already exists and serves 145 students at a cost of $2.7 million — but only for relatives and dependents of vets who served in combat zones."

Roughly $18,600 per student which would further be broken down by administrative costs, classrooms, books, tuition, fees, teacher's salaries, etc..

"Budget constraints weighed against the program expansion, which she estimated would have cost several hundred thousand dollars" - The "budget" just couldn't justify an additional "couple hundred thousand dollars" to continue the assistance for the Vet program, BUT, they "found" $27M (10 times the Vet program) for FREE SCHOOL for ILLEGAL ALIENS and told the Vets to piss off.

Remember bbl-1 - those veterans, such as yourself, paid for their and our veteran's benefits through service to protect this country - unlike the ILLEGAL ALIENS who have busted our laws and will, more than likely, continue to do so.

That's what this "right winger" is complaining about.

Semper Fi and welcome back.

BeastOfTheEast
2.5  BeastOfTheEast  replied to  bbl-1 @2    6 days ago
$2.7 million is what the families of US slain soldiers receive now? 

Yup, that's for 145 families coming out to $ 18,620.68 per family If you had been killed in Vietnam during 1969 your family would have received $ 10,000 which when adjusted for inflation would be $69,264.85 in 2019.

The article says Democrats set aside $27 million in tuition assistance for the children of illegal immigrants in the new state budget. The article doesn't say how many illegal children receive the money, but let's assume it's for 145 just as it is for the children of US slain soldiers that would come out to $ 186,206.89 per illegal child. In effect Democrats are saying an illegal immigrant child is worth $ 167,586.21 more than a deceased American soldiers child. We can always count of Democrats putting illegal invaders ahead of American citizens.

Split Personality
2.5.1  Split Personality  replied to  BeastOfTheEast @2.5    6 days ago
but let's assume it's for 145 just as it is for the children of US slain soldiers that would come out to $ 186,206.89 per illegal child. In effect Democrats are saying an illegal immigrant child is worth $ 167,586.21 more than a deceased American soldiers child. We can always count of Democrats putting illegal invaders ahead of American citizens

Nope, not even logical.

If you don't know the number of children in the system whose parents are presumed to be illegal, just say so.

Making up absurd numbers to reach a false outcome is just partisan bs.

Btw, did you miss the part where some Democrats voted for the vets?

Split Personality
2.5.2  Split Personality  replied to  Split Personality @2.5.1    6 days ago

Free tuition for Gold Star kids on hold

However, Democrats who control the Higher Education Committee feel they had no choice given the timing of the bill's introduction (after the budget session ended), and without any financial estimates attached to the bill.

"We're not even 10 days out from the budget, the ink isn't dry and this kind of came out of nowhere," Assemblywoman Pat Fahy (D - Albany), pointed out. "We have the utmost respect and care for fallen service men and women who have in so many cases paid the ultimate sacrifice. It saddens me that this gets played out in a political theater in a very unfortunate way."

Several lawmakers seem to think with the end of the legislative session still several weeks down the road, Assembly Bill A-2911 could be revisited. Governor Cuomo agrees.

"I believe these families should be shown the same respect and we have a moral obligation and a social obligation to help those families who lost their provider, their loved one in service to this nation," Cuomo stated. "I would support providing free college tuition to SUNY schools for children of people who are lost in service with the military. We have many more weeks of legislative action, the legislature isn't going anywhere, so there's plenty of time to pass that law and I support it.

https://wnyt.com/news/gold-star-families-free-college-tuition-mcdonald-fahy-smullen-hawley-cuomo/5313767/

BeastOfTheEast
2.5.3  BeastOfTheEast  replied to  Split Personality @2.5.1    6 days ago
Btw, did you miss the part where some Democrats voted for the vets?

How many is some? Obviously not enough to pass it.

Don Overton
2.5.4  Don Overton  replied to  Split Personality @2.5.1    6 days ago

[deleted]

Split Personality
2.5.5  Split Personality  replied to  BeastOfTheEast @2.5.3    6 days ago

You cannot pass a budget item that was not in the budget.

Does that make sense?

It took ten days for someone to figure out how to make political hay out of something they disagreed (Tuition assistance for Dreamers ) with by championing something

red white and blue that they could do to cause political embarrassment to their adversaries.

Had the geniuses requested said adjustment of a few hundred thousand dollars while the budget was being debated for the last year,

it would have had easy bi partisan approval

as well as the Governors approval.

It's not rocket science, it's legislative laws and procedures 101.

If you want something passed in a budget, you have to present it to the legislature, before the budget is finalized.

The 2020 NYState budget was finalized and signed into law on April 1st, 2019 by the Governor.

This sudden partisan outrage for the Gold Star families started 10 days later.

Texan1211
2.5.6  Texan1211  replied to  Split Personality @2.5.5    6 days ago
cause political embarrassment to their adversaries.

Maybe the easiest solution would be to stop doing things that cause personal embarrassment, or is that just not PC enough in this world nowadays?

1stwarrior
2.5.7  seeder  1stwarrior  replied to  Split Personality @2.5.5    6 days ago

If you'll look at the calendar, yesterday was April 11th - the story was written April 10th - 2 days after the "vote" - so not 10 days, only 8.

The NY bill is not about "dreamers" - it's about Illegal Aliens (which, of course, Dreamers are).  In January, the state approved aid for Dreamers - this is not that story.

Split Personality
2.5.8  Split Personality  replied to  1stwarrior @2.5.7    6 days ago

The budget was signed on April 1st, 1st.

The request by State Senator Ott was 10 days past the finshed budget process and did not include the required financing requirement.

It was strictly political grandstanding.

But since everyone is in agreement

that IF it had been properly presented during the month's long budget process, it would have had near unanimous support

and that big dick Democrat governor has promised to see what can be done before the legislature's mandatory summer recess.

Too snarky?

1stwarrior
2.5.9  seeder  1stwarrior  replied to  Split Personality @2.5.8    6 days ago

Nope - just confused with the dating :-)

BeastOfTheEast
2.5.10  BeastOfTheEast  replied to  Split Personality @2.5.5    6 days ago
You cannot pass a budget item that was not in the budget.

You said some Democrats voted for it how could they vote for something that wasn't in the budget?

Split Personality
2.5.11  Split Personality  replied to  BeastOfTheEast @2.5.10    3 days ago

I'm guessing you did not read the article.

Assemblywoman Judy Griffin (D-L.I), one of four Assembly Democrats who voted in favor of the bill, said it should be a priority next year.

Next to last line in the seeded article.

Buzz of the Orient
3  Buzz of the Orient    6 days ago

Children of loyal American solders who fell in battle are less likely to vote Democratic than those in illegal alien families. There really isn't another honest reason for the Democrats to favour aliens over patriots.

Raven Wing
3.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3    4 days ago
There really isn't another honest reason for the Democrats to favour aliens over patriots.

Buzz....I think you need to read more about illegal aliens and voting rights here in America. Illegal aliens are not allowed to vote. So your, and others,  assumption that illegal aliens will all vote for Democrats is a rather big stretch.

MrFrost
3.1.2  MrFrost  replied to  livefreeordie @3.1.1    3 days ago

For the school board...not for president. Nice try. 

Raven Wing
3.1.3  Raven Wing  replied to  livefreeordie @3.1.1    3 days ago
San Francisco authorized illegals to vote

That is not true. And I do think YOU know it is not true.

1stwarrior
3.1.4  seeder  1stwarrior  replied to  MrFrost @3.1.2    3 days ago

School board and local elections -

San Francisco is allowing noncitizens to vote, but few will

San Francisco has become the largest U.S. city to give people in the country illegally and other noncitizens the right to vote in a local election

https://www.apnews.com/8daea73443164bb1a4616ebb3c80f462

Sunshine
4  Sunshine    6 days ago

They truly don't care about the best interest of Americans anymore.

Tacos!
5  Tacos!    6 days ago
budget constraints weighed against the program expansion, which she estimated would have cost several hundred thousand dollars.

But there's $27 million worth of room in that budget for illegal aliens? I think I'm going to go throw up now.

Texan1211
5.1  Texan1211  replied to  Tacos! @5    6 days ago
But there's $27 million worth of room in that budget for illegal aliens? I think I'm going to go throw up now.

It must be great to be a family member of a veteran living there and knowing that your elected representatives consider illegal aliens more important than you.

It's a damn shame what those dumbasses voted for.

1stwarrior
5.1.1  seeder  1stwarrior  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1    6 days ago

This is also the state, I believe, who has just authorized abortions up-to and including child birth???

Tacos!
5.1.2  Tacos!  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1    6 days ago
elected representatives consider illegal aliens more important

Apparently, about 10X more important.

Split Personality
5.1.3  Split Personality  replied to  1stwarrior @5.1.1    6 days ago
abortions up-to and including child birth

That's an oxymoron...

Don Overton
5.1.4  Don Overton  replied to  1stwarrior @5.1.1    6 days ago

That comment is a total lie

1stwarrior
5.1.5  seeder  1stwarrior  replied to  Split Personality @5.1.3    6 days ago

“We need to be honest with the public and say that this bill does not simply codify Roe v. Wade… what this bill does is expand abortion up to birth and the third trimester,” State Assembly Rep. Nicole Malliotakis argued before the state legislature. 

https://wgntv.com/2019/01/28/how-new-yorks-abortion-law-has-changed/

Split Personality
5.1.6  Split Personality  replied to  1stwarrior @5.1.5    6 days ago

I stand by my statement, yours is incorrect.

Quoting another State Rep's opinion does not make your argument.

Once child birth occurs, abortion rules no longer apply, and care is mandatory regardless of the mortality or viability of the infant.

Tessylo
5.1.7  Tessylo  replied to  1stwarrior @5.1.5    6 days ago

'This is also the state, I believe, who has just authorized abortions up-to and including child birth???'

Oh for fucks' sake

giphy.webp?cid=790b76115caf29fa773944396

Split Personality
5.1.8  Split Personality  replied to  1stwarrior @5.1.5    6 days ago

Did you bother to read the link you posted?

Not only will the law preserve access to abortions, it also removes abortion from the state’s criminal code. This would protect doctors or medical professionals who perform abortions from criminal prosecution. The law also now allows medical professionals who are not doctors to perform abortions in New York.

“The old law had criminal penalties. It was written that the doctor or professional could be held criminally liable,” Cuomo said during an interview on WNYC Wednesday.

The law also addresses late-term abortions. Under New York’s Reproductive Health Act, they can be performed after 24 weeks if the fetus is not viable or when necessary to protect the life of the mother.

Split Personality
5.1.9  Split Personality  replied to  Tessylo @5.1.7    6 days ago

Nah, it's this one.

Vic Eldred
5.1.10  Vic Eldred  replied to  Don Overton @5.1.4    6 days ago

What do you mean "that comment is"?

1stwarrior
5.1.11  seeder  1stwarrior  replied to  Split Personality @5.1.6    6 days ago

The term "and during the third trimester" allows abortion, pretty much from anyone who can spell "medical" and, as Rep Malliotakis states, "up to birth".

Now, I'll allow you to dispute the Rep's comments with her as I didn't make them.

You do know what "trimester" means, right? The third trimester begins in week 28 of pregnancy and lasts until you give birth, which may be around week 40 of pregnancy. In other words, your third trimester lasts from month 7 through month 9 of pregnancy.

Split Personality
5.1.12  Split Personality  replied to  1stwarrior @5.1.11    6 days ago
ou do know what "trimester" means, right? The third trimester begins in week 28 of pregnancy and lasts until you give birth, which may be around week 40 of pregnancy. In other words, your third trimester lasts from month 7 through month 9 of pregnancy.

Yes, I'm actually considered to be pretty good at math...

From the link

The law also addresses late-term abortions. Under New York’s Reproductive Health Act, they can be performed after 24 weeks if the fetus is not viable or when necessary to protect the life of the mother.

Only in the media are there knee jerk reactions claiming doctors will be willy nilly aborting healthy, viable fetuses up to and after birth.

It's just religious and partially partisan nonsense.

Sean Treacy
5.1.13  Sean Treacy  replied to  Split Personality @5.1.12    6 days ago

The link misrepresents the law

Kavika
5.1.14  Kavika   replied to  1stwarrior @5.1.1    6 days ago
This is also the state, I believe, who has just authorized abortions up-to and including child birth???

And this has what to do with the topic?

Split Personality
5.1.15  Split Personality  replied to  Sean Treacy @5.1.13    6 days ago

Well, now then Sean, assuming you are referring to this link

maybe you should direct that comment to 1st as well, since he provided that link in 5.1.5.

Sean Treacy
5.1.16  Sean Treacy  replied to  Split Personality @5.1.15    6 days ago
maybe you should direct that comment to 1st as well, since he provided that link in 5.1.5

Since you highlighted and premised your argument on a false statement about the law, I thought you'd like to know..

[deleted]

Split Personality
5.1.17  Split Personality  replied to  Sean Treacy @5.1.16    5 days ago

When you are done with the petty personal insults,

perhaps you can educate the seeder and I about why his source is wrong,

in your opinion, counselor.

Don Overton
5.1.18  Don Overton  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.1.10    3 days ago

What the hell are you talking about or do you even know?

charger 383
6  charger 383    6 days ago

Illegal aliens should get nothing

Split Personality
6.1  Split Personality  replied to  charger 383 @6    6 days ago

Typically they do not.

If it's like NJ's programs, it's for Dreamers only, those kids who ended up here because of their parent's actions, who can provide tax information from their parents.

NJ only found 600 Dreamers eligible last year.

arkpdx
6.1.1  arkpdx  replied to  Split Personality @6.1    5 days ago
NJ only found 600 Dreamers eligible last year.

That is 601 too many! 

Don Overton
6.2  Don Overton  replied to  charger 383 @6    6 days ago

That comment is a very bigoted view.

Tessylo
6.2.1  Tessylo  replied to  Don Overton @6.2    6 days ago

Some consider/compare immigrants to feral cats, in other words, less than human.  

Vic Eldred
6.2.2  Vic Eldred  replied to  Don Overton @6.2    6 days ago

What do you mean the comment is?

Texan1211
6.2.3  Texan1211  replied to  Don Overton @6.2    6 days ago

Why are illegal aliens entitled to anything from American citizens?

Do illegal aliens' home countries owe American citizens something for simply being alive?

1stwarrior
6.2.4  seeder  1stwarrior  replied to  Tessylo @6.2.1    6 days ago

Your point?  

Try discussion a topic for once Tess - quit one-lining with no meaning.

Texan1211
6.2.5  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @6.2.1    6 days ago

Why would an any illegal alien be entitled to anything from American taxpayers?

Do their home countries owe Americans something just because they are alive?

Split Personality
6.2.6  Split Personality  replied to  Texan1211 @6.2.5    3 days ago
Do their home countries owe Americans something just because they are alive?

I'm guessing that generations of Americans, politicians and policy makers think the Monroe Doctrine of 1823

gives us just that expectation for protecting them form European colonialism.

We have many, many instances of imposing our wills on many Latin American countries as a result.

Texan1211
6.2.7  Texan1211  replied to  Split Personality @6.2.6    yesterday

I believe your comment shows you totally misunderstood my post.

luther28
7  luther28    6 days ago

Not that I am against assisting others, but I do believe that comes after taking care of your own first. As my children received no assistance from the Government for their studies, it is a bit of a stretch for me to see any sense to this.

Don Overton
7.1  Don Overton  replied to  luther28 @7    6 days ago

Actually, if you really gave some thought to it if they are going to live here it would be nice to have people who have the skills to help the economy 

You realize that Trump has destroyed much of the economy  of the U.S.A. with his trade crap

Of course republicans can't figure out that when the price of a front loader goes up 40% because of the cost of material to build them it hurts them as much as the company buying the loader

It Is ME
7.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  Don Overton @7.1    6 days ago
Actually, if you really gave some thought to it if they are going to live here it would be nice to have people who have the skills to help the economy 

What "skills" do they already have ?

Wall scaling ?

Desert Crossing ?

River Crossing ?

Law breaking ?

Just wondering !

1stwarrior
7.1.2  seeder  1stwarrior  replied to  It Is ME @7.1.1    6 days ago

Law breaking.

1stwarrior
7.1.3  seeder  1stwarrior  replied to  Don Overton @7.1    6 days ago

Don - since you have nothing to contribute to the discussion except drive-bys - please select another thread to go to.

Trump is not part of the discussion.

It Is ME
7.1.4  It Is ME  replied to  1stwarrior @7.1.2    6 days ago
Law breaking.

Crime does pay at times. jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

Vic Eldred
7.1.5  Vic Eldred  replied to  1stwarrior @7.1.3    6 days ago

Let me second that motion!

Ed-NavDoc
7.1.6  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Don Overton @7.1    4 days ago

Maybe not the price of a front loader, but they can sure see the price of free loaders on the economy...jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Sparty On
7.1.7  Sparty On  replied to  Don Overton @7.1    4 days ago
Actually, if you really gave some thought to it .....

I have.    

I would much rather the money go to supporting needy “legal” US citizens.     This includes but is not limited to: Veterans, schools, infrastructure, trades schools, teachers, LEO’s, Firehouses, Military, local food banks, etc, etc.

No other way to say it but that it’s a travesty it’s going to illegals instead. 

Raven Wing
7.1.8  Raven Wing  replied to  Sparty On @7.1.7    4 days ago
This includes but is not limited to: Veterans, schools, infrastructure, trades schools, teachers, LEO’s, Firehouses, Military, local food banks, etc, etc.

And the billions Trump wants for his joke of a wall would go a very very long way to do just that. 

They need to open more Veterans Hospitals and clinics so that our Veterans that need on-going help can get the care they need without having to drive such long distances, as well as having less long waiting periods to get that care. 

Our Vets laid their life on the line for their country, the very LEAST our country can do for them is to lay the dollars on the line needed to provide the adequate and timely care them. That IS NOT asking too much. 

However, it appears that the Trump administration does not think that kind of investment is worthy of being considered. To them, Vets are a disposable commodity, and there's a new one born every minute.

Sparty On
7.1.9  Sparty On  replied to  Raven Wing @7.1.8    4 days ago

On this we disagree on multiple levels Raven.

Border security, including where appropriate “barriers/walls/fences, etc” is not a waste imo.    Congress wastes money on a lot of things much much worse than that.  We might disagree on what those wastes are but not that massive amounts of money gets wasted on pork belly nonsense.

incidentally do you realize we are spending more per Vet via the VA than we ever have.    I don’t see a proportional improvement of services from it either.    Quite the opposite in many cases

Don Overton
7.1.10  Don Overton  replied to  Vic Eldred @7.1.5    3 days ago

Why not 3r and 4th it while you're at it.  is

Don Overton
7.1.11  Don Overton  replied to  It Is ME @7.1.1    3 days ago

Actually many are adapt at many usable skills

But then I doubt you've been out of the states

Don Overton
7.1.12  Don Overton  replied to  1stwarrior @7.1.2    3 days ago

Wow don't do it then

Don Overton
7.1.13  Don Overton  replied to  1stwarrior @7.1.3    3 days ago

No way somebody has to keep the lies and make believe stories down

Raven Wing
7.1.14  Raven Wing  replied to  Sparty On @7.1.9    3 days ago
Border security, including where appropriate “barriers/walls/fences, etc” is not a waste imo.

The problem with that as I see it, is that no matter if we spend trillions on the various means you listed to try and secure the border with Mexico, it will not stop those who really want to come to this country. No more so than the flood of opiates that are being brought into this country by all types of means, including tunnels, boats, planes, and various means other than across the Mexican border. As the old saying goes, where there is a will there is a way. 

Congress wastes money on a lot of things much much worse than that.  We might disagree on what those wastes are but not that massive amounts of money gets wasted on pork belly nonsense.

On that I totally agree, by both sides. No one side is less or more guilty that the other. 

As far as the current spending on Vets, that may be, but, like you, I don't see that much improvement of the much needed physical and mental services that are needed, and more than well deserved, by our Vets who were willing to put their own life on the line for their country and its people. 

I come from a long line of military service, dating back to the Civil War on both sides of the war. My Great-Great Grandfather was a Cherokee Scout for the Union Army and was captured by confederate soldiers and sent to Andersonville. There, like so very many other prisoners, he died of extreme torture, starvation and dysentery. 

My Father served in the Army in WWII. My Maternal Grandfather served in the Army at the end of WWI and in the Marines in WWII. My Brother served in the Navy in the Vietnam war. And I had many other family members who served in the same and other wars, many of whom never made it home alive, and whose remains still lie on foreign soil.

So yes, I am very much aware of what it is like to be from a military family. And the heartache and emotionally devastating effects that is felt when they come home minus part of their body that they left with, and with their minds in a never ending nightmare. And I had to help take care of them, and the waits at the Vet hospitals and clinics were excruciating hours of wait time when we were finally able to even get an appointment. 

I know first hand how they felt like our government didn't give a damn about them when they could no longer serve their purpose, and considered them as disposable goods when they were sent to serve on foreign soil to begin with. 

So yes, like many other military families, and those who aren't, I am angry at how our Vets are being treated by our own government, who should respect those who were willing to put their life on the line while those in government sat safely at home trying to find ways to put more taxpayer money in THEIR own pockets.

Trout Giggles
8  Trout Giggles    6 days ago

This is about the New York State Assembly. Your headline makes it sound like it was the US Congress

BTW, don't you live in New Mexico? Why the hell do you care what New York does with its budget?

1stwarrior
8.1  seeder  1stwarrior  replied to  Trout Giggles @8    6 days ago

Trout - I care, no matter what state it is, about any "government" organization giving FAVORITISM to ILLEGAL ALIENS over U. S. Citizens.

BTW, the headlines came from the story and source - a requirement of the CoC - but, I'm sure you already know that.

Trout Giggles
8.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  1stwarrior @8.1    6 days ago

The New York Post likes sensationalized headlines. I would have avoided seeding this because of its' sensationalized headline.

Do you bitch the same when the US Congress Republicans vote to cut veteran's benefits?

Texan1211
8.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  1stwarrior @8.1    6 days ago

[deleted]

1stwarrior
8.1.3  seeder  1stwarrior  replied to  Trout Giggles @8.1.1    6 days ago

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/2018/09/21/trump-oks-the-largest-va-budget-ever/ -

Trump signs the largest VA budget ever

By: Leo Shane III   September 21, 2018

Think you need to get up to date Trout.

Trout Giggles
8.1.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  1stwarrior @8.1.3    6 days ago

Yeah....I kinda take anything written in the Military Times with a grain of salt

1stwarrior
8.1.5  seeder  1stwarrior  replied to  Trout Giggles @8.1.4    6 days ago

There are many of us who do get our information from them.

To each his own.

Trout Giggles
8.1.6  Trout Giggles  replied to  1stwarrior @8.1.5    6 days ago

All of those "Military Times" type "newspapers" are the equivalent of the National Enquirer

Kavika
8.1.7  Kavika   replied to  1stwarrior @8.1.3    6 days ago
[delete]

MUVA
8.1.8  MUVA  replied to  Kavika @8.1.7    6 days ago

deleted for context, by Charger383

KDMichigan
8.1.9  KDMichigan  replied to  Trout Giggles @8.1.6    6 days ago
All of those "Military Times" type "newspapers" are the equivalent of the National Enquirer

Well quit complaining and prove him wrong.

Why the hell do you care what New York does with its budget?

I didn't know that all post had to be run thru your approval before posting....

Split Personality
8.1.10  Split Personality  replied to  1stwarrior @8.1.3    4 days ago

Are benefits and budgets the same thing?

Just asking...

I would also remind you not to flag a comment as off topic by author and then make a pointed response to the same comment.

I had someone restore the comment in question, 8.1.1.

Kavika
8.1.11  Kavika   replied to  Kavika @8.1.7    4 days ago

You brought up the subject with your claim that Trump increased the military budget. I responded with the question of what is the DOD going to waste the money on and you called it off topic...Wow. 

Ed-NavDoc
8.1.12  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Trout Giggles @8.1.6    4 days ago

No, they are just specific to a particular military branch of service, i.e. Navy Times, Army Times etc.

Sparty On
8.1.13  Sparty On  replied to  1stwarrior @8.1.5    4 days ago
To each his own.

Yup, I quite enjoy our Marine Corp Times.    Along with publications like Leatherneck, Marine Corps Gazette and Proceedings.

Good stuff imo.

Don Overton
8.1.14  Don Overton  replied to  1stwarrior @8.1.3    3 days ago
Trump signs the largest VA budget ever

Did you think he wouldn't?  He spends more time dissing vets than helping them

Don Overton
8.1.15  Don Overton  replied to  Trout Giggles @8.1.6    3 days ago

All of them have their bias the the military times does tend to enhance bullshit  And yes I use to take it but dropped it a few years ago when it became nothing  but a fire starter 

MrFrost
8.1.16  MrFrost  replied to  Don Overton @8.1.14    3 days ago
He spends more time dissing vets than helping them

True. He has attacked Gold Star families, war hero's and when he said he would personally donate $6 million dollars to vets? He welshed on the deal until a veterans group called him out for it. 

https://www.cnn.com/2016/03/03/politics/donald-trump-veterans-donations/

Sean Treacy
9  Sean Treacy    6 days ago

Shame!

Texan1211
10  Texan1211    6 days ago

Man, if this doesn't make all the progressive liberals not living in California want to move to New York, what will?

Don Overton
10.1  Don Overton  replied to  Texan1211 @10    6 days ago

You realize that Trump has destroyed much of the economy  of the U.S.A. with his trade crap

Of course republicans can't figure out that when the price of a front loader goes up 40% because of the cost of material to build them it hurts them as much as the company buying the loader

Badfish Hαηd ⊕Ƒ †Hε Ωuεεη
10.1.1  Badfish Hαηd ⊕Ƒ †Hε Ωuεεη  replied to  Don Overton @10.1    6 days ago
You realize that Trump has destroyed much of the economy

What economy are you talking about? The one I work in hasn't been better in over a decade.

It Is ME
10.1.2  It Is ME  replied to  Don Overton @10.1    6 days ago
Actually, if you really gave some thought to it if they are going to live here it would be nice to have people who have the skills to help the economy  You realize that Trump has destroyed much of the economy  of the U.S.A. with his trade crap

Pete and Repeat were in a bar …………….. jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Texan1211
10.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  Don Overton @10.1    5 days ago

Anyone legally here is always welcome.

Illegal aliens need to stay the heck out.

Don Overton
10.1.4  Don Overton  replied to  Badfish Hαηd ⊕Ƒ †Hε Ωuεεη @10.1.1    3 days ago

I wouldn't touch your comment with any kind of pole

MrFrost
10.1.5  MrFrost  replied to  It Is ME @10.1.2    yesterday
Pete and Repeat were in a bar …

Where they met two Corinthians...

Don Overton
11  Don Overton    6 days ago

[deleted]

epistte
12  epistte    6 days ago

These are the facts of the story, that the conservative media didn't mention because it wasn't in their interest to do so. 

https://www.syracuse.com/politics/2019/04/ny-assembly-democrats-defend-blocking-bill-to-help-gold-star-families.html

1stwarrior
12.1  seeder  1stwarrior  replied to  epistte @12    5 days ago

Thanks epistte - hadn't seen that release, but it sure as hell supports the overall point - Illegal Aliens are not U.S. Citizens nor families of those Citizens.  The relatives of military personnel who have given their lives for this country are being spit on by most of the Democrats in the NY Assembly.

Again - thanks.

Sparty On
12.1.1  Sparty On  replied to  1stwarrior @12.1    4 days ago

Yep, especially the politicians who secretly loathe the military while publicly saying they support it.    They’re the worse kind.

Raven Wing
12.1.2  Raven Wing  replied to  Sparty On @12.1.1    4 days ago
Yep, especially the politicians who secretly loathe the military while publicly saying they support it.

And they exist on BOTH sides.

Sparty On
12.1.3  Sparty On  replied to  Raven Wing @12.1.2    4 days ago

Again we don’t disagree on that

Raven Wing
12.1.5  Raven Wing  replied to  Sparty On @12.1.3    4 days ago

Our Vets, many of whom leave part of their human body on foreign soil, and suffer unimaginable mental and emotion damage, and for the love of their country, deserve far better treatment when, or if, they return home.

And the many who are sent again and again to fight on foreign soil, and the suffering of their family here at home waiting to hear that they are again coming home in one piece.

Are they not worth more than a joke of a border wall that will cost billions, while they are being grossly neglected of the real care they need here at home?

To me they are. 

Sparty On
12.1.6  Sparty On  replied to  Raven Wing @12.1.5    3 days ago

Yes we are.   Which isn't to say border security isn't also a valid concern.   It is imo.   Very much so.

That said, this only helps make the way the VA spends the money they do get more of a concern.

I worry more about how the 220 Billion they do get is spent, than the 27 million they don't get.

1stwarrior
12.1.7  seeder  1stwarrior  replied to  Raven Wing @12.1.5    3 days ago

Has nothing to do with a wall.

Raven Wing
12.1.8  Raven Wing  replied to  Sparty On @12.1.6    3 days ago
I worry more about how the 220 Billion they do get is spent, than the 27 million they don't get.

I agree. It seems that there is room for concern about where all that money is being spent, as it seems that either a good bit of that money is going into someone's pockets, or being unnecessarily wasted. 

I myself am far more concerned about the amount and kind of illegal drug and gun traffic that is crossing the border that are a much bigger threat to our country and its people than the human beings that are crossing the border, and those kind of trafficers aren't going to be deterred in any way by any fence or wall, no matter how high or how much money is spent on them. 

But, yes, our Vets deserve far more than what is being done for them here in our own country, the country that they are willing to lay down their lives for. To me, they are not a disposable commodity, nor are they simply a number on a chain around their necks. They are human beings, our defenders, our heros, our Fathers, Mothers, Sisters, Brothers, Sons and Daughters from all walks of life. Without them, our country would not continue to exist.

So yes, they are far more deserving than our government is giving them credit for.

JMOO

1stwarrior
12.2  seeder  1stwarrior  replied to  epistte @12    5 days ago

Ed-NavDoc
12.2.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  1stwarrior @12.2    4 days ago

Amen brother!

Don Overton
12.3  Don Overton  replied to  epistte @12    3 days ago

Why am I not surprised, thank you