╌>

Georgetown students vote on historic proposal to pay reparations to slave descendants

Category:  Op/Ed

Via:  it-is-me  •  5 years ago  •  13 comments

Georgetown students vote on historic proposal to pay reparations to slave descendants
Georgetown University could become the first U.S. institution to offer reparation funds for descendants of slaves as students voted on the controversial proposal Thursday.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

The plan is to charge undergraduate students a mandatory $27.20 fee per semester to benefit the families of 272 slaves sold by the university in 1838.

The referendum was called by the Georgetown University Student Association, but the school is not required to take up the fee even if the majority of students vote for it. Officials said the Washington, D.C. school would review the results of the vote and decide what to do with them.

The vote comes at a time of increasing public debate over proposals to offer reparations to descendants of enslaved people. A new bill was introduced in the U.S. House of Representatives in January calling for the creation of a commission to study reparation proposals.

Several Democratic presidential hopefuls, including Sen. Elizabeth Warren and former Texas Rep. Beto O’Rourke, have expressed support for the idea.

The student association said the university’s “horrific” trade of slaves in the early 19th century saved Georgetown from collapsing into bankruptcy.
“This issue affects Descendants, both on campus and across the country,” the group said in a recent statement. “The (association) is in support of comprehensive implementation of genuine and meaningful engagement and reconciliation of our history of slavery and with the Descendant community.”

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1  seeder  It Is ME    5 years ago

One descendant, Jessica Tilson , told a campus news outlet that the mandatory nature of the fee is not the right approach.

“The Jesuits forced my ancestors to come here, and how can I say that forcing someone to do something is wrong, but then I turn around and agree with forcing you all to pay us,” she said.

At least there is ONE Smart person over at Georgetown university ! jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

luther28
Sophomore Silent
2  luther28    5 years ago

If indeed they wish to atone for their real or imagined sins, then offer free tuition to the offended parties.

Not for nothing, but the folks that suffered the greatest affront ( Native Americans ) in the settlement of the Country are largely ignored in my opinion. As a matter of history, most peoples that came to our shores have been misused to one degree or another (Irish, Italians, Chinese etc.), some willingly, some not.

Reparations can be made by insuring it does not happen again and actually having a level playing field.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
3  Ed-NavDoc    5 years ago

Reparations = BS!

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4  Sparty On    5 years ago

What Georgetown students think?

YAWN!

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
5  1stwarrior    5 years ago

And what about the reparations for the 620,000 men and women who died fighting a war to "free" the slaves?  What about the reparations for the property, finances, schools that were demolished during that "conflict"???  What about all the peoples killed at Wounded Knee - where are their reparations.  What about the 100M Native Americans who were killed for this "free land"???  When are these people going to demand reparations from the African war leaders/chiefs who captured and sold their people as slaves to other nations?

It Is ME
Masters Guide
5.1  seeder  It Is ME  replied to  1stwarrior @5    5 years ago

Seems to just be another case of "Liberal Feelings" again. If they "Feel" it, they'll "Fine" others to get it.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
6  Jasper2529    5 years ago
The Georgetown University Student Association Elections Commission said 2,541 students voted for the “Reconciliation Contribution.” That’s just over 66% of voters. The fee was opposed by 1,304. Turnout was 57.9%.

Sad to see that there were so many stupid students who voted for this ridiculous proposal.

The student-led proposal aims to atone for the Jesuit-organized sale of 272 slaves in 1838. Fees would go toward projects in underprivileged communities where some descendants live, including Maringouin, Louisiana.

If this goes through, how are they going to figure out the percentage of reparations that should go to each group or descendant? DNA testing? Who's going to pay for THAT?

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
6.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Jasper2529 @6    5 years ago

How about telling those students part of the reparation money will come from hefty surcharges added to their student loans and see what happens...jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
6.1.1  Jasper2529  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @6.1    5 years ago

What I find amazing is that 2/3 of the students voted "Yes" for something this stupid.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
6.1.2  seeder  It Is ME  replied to  Jasper2529 @6.1.1    5 years ago
What I find amazing is that 2/3 of the students voted "Yes" for something this stupid.

The professors told them to ! jrSmiley_32_smiley_image.gif

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
6.1.3  Jasper2529  replied to  It Is ME @6.1.2    5 years ago

jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif

It Is ME
Masters Guide
6.1.4  seeder  It Is ME  replied to  Jasper2529 @6.1.3    5 years ago

They should get outa college and take a Mike Rowe Class for a "Change" !

It Is ME
Masters Guide
6.2  seeder  It Is ME  replied to  Jasper2529 @6    5 years ago
Who's going to pay for THAT?

Now we know that part isn't a "Thought" thing in their young heads. They just …… "Believe". That's all there is to "Life" in their minds !

If you "Believe", it will just happen !