╌>

Former IRS Head Under George W. Bush Just Shattered Trump’s Big Lie About His Tax Returns

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  don-overton  •  5 years ago  •  50 comments

Former IRS Head Under George W. Bush Just Shattered Trump’s Big Lie About His Tax Returns
“If the chairman of Ways and Means asks for a return, he or she gets it,” Everson told MSNBC’s Chris Hayes. “It’s that simple.”

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

It's terrible that the republican administration flants our laws and the constituition

t that he is under no obligation to release his tax returns, even as the House Ways and Means Committee has formally – and legally – issued a request for them.

Mark Everson, the former IRS commissioner under George W. Bush, quickly smacked down Trump’s continued stonewalling, saying that the law is clear.

“If the chairman of Ways and Means asks for a return, he or she gets it,” Everson told MSNBC’s Chris Hayes. “It’s that simple.”

Video:

IRS commissioner under George W. Bush says "the law is clear" when it comes to handing over tax returns. # ctl # p2

In a short exchange with the MSNBC host, Everson busts the Trump administration myth that he isn’t obligated to hand over his tax returns when they are formally requested:

HAYES:   My next guest served as IRS commissioner for several years under George W. Bush. … Mr. Everson, maybe you can just start with, as someone with some expertise here, your understanding of the law in terms of this request.  EVERSON:   I think that the law is clear here, Chris. If the chairman of Ways and Means asks for a return, he or she gets it. It’s that simple. 

Trump’s tax return cover-up is coming to an end

As Democrats continue to force the issue, Trump’s tax return cover-up appears to be reaching its conclusion – and it’ll likely be devastating for him.

Each reason the president puts forward for why he can’t release his tax returns – from his seemingly decades-long audit to his claim that there is no law that requires him to hand them over – has been debunked six ways from Sunday.

Now that Trump has no ground to stand on and the law, like usual, isn’t on his side, the American people are likely to soon find out why this president was so afraid to show his tax returns.

Article is LOCKED by author/seeder
[]

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1  Sparty On    5 years ago

No source of seeded content.

Don Overton
Sophomore Quiet
1.1  seeder  Don Overton  replied to  Sparty On @1    5 years ago

Try again

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.1.1  Sparty On  replied to  Don Overton @1.1    5 years ago

Good job, glad you finally fixed it.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2  It Is ME    5 years ago

[deleted]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4  Tessylo    5 years ago

'then that same doofus can come after theirs.'

If we've got nothing to hide, no worries.

Obviously the turd in chief has something to hide or it would release them.  

It Is ME
Masters Guide
5  It Is ME    5 years ago

I'd love to see someone really dig into politicians tax returns. ALL "Politicians".

It's weird how they can get elected on a 170 grand or so/yr salary, and end up becoming multi-Millionaires (Bernie). Insider Trading ? 

If AOC lasts, it could be fun to see what her net worth is after a few years in congress.

Don Overton
Sophomore Quiet
5.1  seeder  Don Overton  replied to  It Is ME @5    5 years ago

[deleted]

It Is ME
Masters Guide
5.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  Don Overton @5.1    5 years ago

That's so cute !

I have a grandson that has fun with "Oh Ya? " stuff too. He's a hoot !

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.2  Krishna  replied to  It Is ME @5    5 years ago
I'd love to see someone really dig into politicians tax returns. ALL "Politicians".

Well, I certainly wouldn't!

That would be boring as all hell. (Not quite as boring as the constant non-sensical discussions here as to wheher or not god exists-- but quite boring never-the-less!)

But then again, people are different. So whatever floats yer boat....

It Is ME
Masters Guide
5.2.1  It Is ME  replied to  Krishna @5.2    5 years ago

Are you "FOR", digging into the "ONE" ?

bugsy
Professor Participates
6  bugsy    5 years ago

This is nothing but political hay. This dumbass knows he will never get Trump's tax returns. Even if he did, he can't disclose any of it without Trump's approval, so, no leaking for him or the other loon libs on the panel. If he tries to file impeachment based on what he sees if he does get them, he will have to tell the country why he is recommending charges, and that will mean he will have to disclose what was in the returns, ie, illegal.

Lose/lose for lbs yet again.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
6.1  Greg Jones  replied to  bugsy @6    5 years ago

And, as  someone mentioned earlier, the Dems are setting all kinds of precedents that will ultimately be used against them. It's time they get over trying to overturn the last election, they're only making fools of themselves.

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.2  Krishna  replied to  bugsy @6    5 years ago
he can't disclose any of it without Trump's approval,

Link?

Krishna
Professor Expert
7  Krishna    5 years ago

When I saw this headline about "Trump's Big Lie" re: his taxes, I was thinking of another, lie of his on the subject: his  frequent claim that you can't release your taxes if you're under audit. A blatant lie (I assume he thought he could get away with having people believe it without bothering to check).

But its a lie:

Mr. Trump has repeatedly refused to release his federal income tax returns, defying the practice of presidential candidates going back four decades. He and his campaign have offered varying reasons, but the excuse most frequently invoked is that he is under audit by the Internal Revenue Service.

The I.R.S. said that an audit does not prevent Mr. Trump from making his returns public.

freepress
Freshman Silent
8  freepress    5 years ago

Funny how the right wing gun nuts love to repeat the Constitution with the "Shall not be infringed" but leave out the "well regulated" portion when it comes to gun rights. They love the word "Shall" and use it as an absolute.

Yet when it comes to the same kind of law that uses the word "Shall" when it comes to auditing every President and every VP and when it comes to asking to see those documents, all of a sudden the word "Shall" is in question.

Trump promised his tax returns, then lied saying he wouldn't because he was under audit, but that is no excuse when we know Nixon and every President is audited. 

I thought Trump promised transparency, another lie.

zuksam
Junior Silent
9  zuksam    5 years ago

“If the chairman of Ways and Means asks for a return, he or she gets it,” Everson told MSNBC’s Chris Hayes. “It’s that simple. In a short exchange with the MSNBC host, Everson busts the Trump administration myth that he isn’t obligated to hand over his tax returns when they are formally requested:"     The Truth is Trump isn't obligated to hand anything over to the chairman of Ways and Means. If the Chairman of Ways and Means were to make a request it would be directly to the IRS not Trump and if the request was for a legitimate and legal reason and passed legal muster the IRS would turn over Trump's returns. If the IRS hasn't turned them over there must be a problem with Chairman's request. If he's asking Trump directly he must know he doesn't have a legitimate reason to request them directly from the IRS so he's just putting on a Political Smoke Show by requesting them from Trump whom he already knows will refuse but that's the point now he's making a big deal out of the refusal despite the fact he requested the returns from the wrong party his request needs to be made directly to the IRS.