╌>

Massive fire breaks out in Notre Dame cathedral in Paris

Category:  World News

Via:  jasper2529  •  5 years ago  •  66 comments

Massive fire breaks out in Notre Dame cathedral in Paris
The cathedral, which dates back to the 12th century, was made famous for featuring in Victor Hugo’s novel “The Hunchback of Notre-Dame.” It attracts millions of tourists each year.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

A massive   fire   broke out at the famed Notre Dame cathedral in   Paris   on Monday afternoon, officials said.

Black smoke could be seen from a distance billowing out from the top of the medieval cathedral, while flames leaped out from two of its bell towers. The sight stopped pedestrians in their tracks along the Seine River, which passes under the cathedral.

A dramatic video showed the cathedral's main spire collapsed from the blaze. Local reports said the roof collapsed.

Paris  Mayor Anne Hidalgo called it a "terrible fire." No injuries have been reported.

It was not immediately clear what caused the fire. Notre Dame was undergoing a $6.8 million renovation project, with some sections under scaffolding, while bronze statues were removed last week for works

Sources told Fox News that it appears the fire was related to recent construction done at the cathedral.

President Emmanuel Macron canceled a planned televised speech to the nation in light of the "terrible fire" underway at the cathedral, an official at the president's Elysee office said.

This is breaking news. Please check back for updates.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
1  seeder  Jasper2529    5 years ago

notre-dame-fire.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
2  seeder  Jasper2529    5 years ago

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
3  seeder  Jasper2529    5 years ago
A dramatic video showed the cathedral's main spire collapsed from the blaze. Local reports said the roof collapsed.

Ender
Professor Principal
4  Ender    5 years ago

Sad. The middle spire or tower fell.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
5  Freefaller    5 years ago

Shame about any paintings or fresco's etc that might be lost

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6  Sparty On    5 years ago

Wow, not good.   Hate seeing old structures go up like that.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
7  seeder  Jasper2529    5 years ago
A church spokesman told French media that all of Notre Dame cathedral's frame is burning after the spire collapsed.

Ender
Professor Principal
8  Ender    5 years ago

You would think they could get some helicopters and dump some flame retardant on there, or something.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
8.1  1stwarrior  replied to  Ender @8    5 years ago

Too much collateral damage would incur.

Hope the Hunch Back got out.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
9  Tacos!    5 years ago

Oh my God, how awful. Isn't that thing mostly stone? What is it that's burning?

Edit: Apparently, part of it was under construction/renovation and the scaffolding is burning. Wow.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
9.1  Snuffy  replied to  Tacos! @9    5 years ago

13,000 oak trees were used in the construction of the Cathedral, used  as structural beams for the massive roof. This is what is known as the "Forest of Notre-Dame".

Tacos!
Professor Guide
9.1.1  Tacos!  replied to  Snuffy @9.1    5 years ago
This is what is known as the "Forest of Notre-Dame".

Yes, I'm seeing that in the TV coverage. Amazing. I am sorry I won't get to see it now.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
9.1.2  Freefaller  replied to  Tacos! @9.1.1    5 years ago
I am sorry I won't get to see it now.

They'll rebuild, although that could take longer that you and I have left

Snuffy
Professor Participates
9.1.3  Snuffy  replied to  Freefaller @9.1.2    5 years ago
They'll rebuild, although that could take longer that you and I have left

but they'll be able to rebuild faster than the original took.  I heard this afternoon that it took 200 years to complete the original building of this. Amazing multi-generational training and work.

fixed the # of years,  I had heard earlier that it was 100 years but I was wrong. 

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
9.1.4  Freefaller  replied to  Snuffy @9.1.3    5 years ago

Possibly modern techniques could speed some parts along, but there is a lot of hand carved stone work to be done, not to mention the frescos, stained glass and such

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
10  Sunshine    5 years ago

This is horrible.   Wonder how it started...candles?

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
10.1  Freefaller  replied to  Sunshine @10    5 years ago

Given it is undergoing renovation the cause could be anything, oily rags, candles, oxy acetylene torch, even arson

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
10.1.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Freefaller @10.1    5 years ago

One article said it's being treated as an accident related to construction work.

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
10.1.2  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  sandy-2021492 @10.1.1    5 years ago
it's being treated as an accident related to construction work.

this is not going to look good on the general contractors resume...

in 2019 we remodeled, ummm I mean, burned down notre dame and um,,, err... that went, ummm er,, well, ummm, one could say it was over in a flash

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
10.1.3  sandy-2021492  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @10.1.2    5 years ago

Yeah.  Even if it was something that was difficult to avoid - old, poorly installed electrical wiring, for example, their name's still on the work vans.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
10.1.4  katrix  replied to  sandy-2021492 @10.1.1    5 years ago

All the insurance in the world won't cover the company responsible.  And if it were one person with an acetylene torch - can you imagine what that would feel like, being the person who burned down much of the Cathedral?

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
10.1.5  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  katrix @10.1.4    5 years ago
All the insurance in the world won't cover the company responsible. 

I've heard that the cause may have been electrical, but I didn't see confirmation. I also heard that the cathedral and other Parisian historic places don't have insurance, because the cost would be astronomical.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
10.1.6  Texan1211  replied to  Jasper2529 @10.1.5    5 years ago
I've heard that the cause may have been electrical, but I didn't see confirmation. I also heard that the cathedral and other Parisian historic places don't have insurance, because the cost would be astronomical.

Notre Dame is owned by France, and France self-insures.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
10.1.7  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  Texan1211 @10.1.6    5 years ago

Thanks for posting that info, Texan1211.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
10.2  Tacos!  replied to  Sunshine @10    5 years ago
Wonder how it started

It's early, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was chemicals related to the restoration. For example, something as simple as a rag soaked with linseed oil (commonly used to treat wood) and left to sit out will, given time, spontaneously combust.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
11  JohnRussell    5 years ago

Notre-Dame-DE-Paris.jpg

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
12  JohnRussell    5 years ago

hqdefault.jpg

th?id=OIP.qIZm1QMAEh-ziE8ggu9x_gHaE0&pid=Api&rs=1&p=0

nroseb-aug07-d8454sar900.jpg

th?id=OIP._iaYSLjiu3zXzDzODwuKkwHaE8&pid=Api&rs=1&p=0

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
12.1  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  JohnRussell @12    5 years ago

Thank you for the photos.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
13  Greg Jones    5 years ago

No sprinklers installed, or other fire suppression methods available??

At some point, a garden hose probably could have put it out.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
13.1  Split Personality  replied to  Greg Jones @13    5 years ago

Much of the Cathedral is over 226 feet up in the air, with a 300 foot spire.

Most fire departments ladder trucks are only 105 footers,

the largest is only 137 feet.

They were handicapped by the size of the building itself.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
14  Sean Treacy    5 years ago

Such a tremendous loss. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
15  JohnRussell    5 years ago
Style French Gothic
Groundbreaking 1163
Completed 1345

It took almost 200 years to complete the construction of this building. Medievil churches were often updated and added on to as architects and artists and the religious hierarchy kept coming up with new ways to improve them and add to the expression of glory to God. 

Notre Dame Cathedral is more than three times older than the United States of America.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
15.1  Snuffy  replied to  JohnRussell @15    5 years ago

Ah, you are correct.   I had heard earlier that it was 100 years to build,  noticed your post and double-checked.  You are correct. 

lady in black
Professor Quiet
17  lady in black    5 years ago

So sad.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
19  sandy-2021492    5 years ago

Holding back tears as I watch at work.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
20  Perrie Halpern R.A.    5 years ago

What a loss to history. I was so lucky to have seen it. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
21  Kavika     5 years ago

One of the most iconic building in the world...Hopefully some of it can be saved along with art work etc. 

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
22.1  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  sandy-2021492 @22    5 years ago

Thank you for posting updates.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
23  MrFrost    5 years ago

This building was standing and completed 431 years before the USA existed. That's a lot of history. Really effing sad. 

Ender
Professor Principal
23.1  Ender  replied to  MrFrost @23    5 years ago

All the statues and the stained glass windows that will be lost.

Ender
Professor Principal
24  Ender    5 years ago

They are saying the outside facade will probably stand. It will be gutted though.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
25  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

One need not be a Catholic, French or a Parisienne to be saddened by such a loss - it is an icon of our civilization.  How can one even think of the word Paris and not visualize the cathedral and the Eiffel Tower?

"We'll always have Paris...."

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
25.1  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @25    5 years ago

Well said, Buzz. Anyone who appreciates art and history understands that the impact of this fire transcends religion, nationality, and politics.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
26  bbl-1    5 years ago

Interesting.  Yesterday saw an interview with Steve Bannon who is at war with and trying to destroy The Pope and the Catholic Church.

In the interview, Bannon stated that the 'election of Trump' was aided with ( divine intervention ). 

Is the destruction of this historic edifice a message from God...……..or gawd?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
26.1  Texan1211  replied to  bbl-1 @26    5 years ago
Interesting. Yesterday saw an interview with Steve Bannon who is at war with and trying to destroy The Pope and the Catholic Church.
In the interview, Bannon stated that the 'election of Trump' was aided with ( divine intervention ).
Is the destruction of this historic edifice a message from God...……..or gawd?

That is what you take away from this?

Destroyed history and one of the finest buildings ever built by man?

Some might find that a tad sad and be able to keep politics out of it for once.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
26.1.1  bbl-1  replied to  Texan1211 @26.1    5 years ago

That is what Bannon said.  As did Falwell Jr., Robertson, Graham, Wiles and dozens of others in the christian world.

Sign from gawd?

Politics is everything now.  The Trump brings it.

The ( t d s ) thing...……..it is yours. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
26.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  bbl-1 @26.1.1    5 years ago
That is what Bannon said. As did Falwell Jr., Robertson, Graham, Wiles and dozens of others in the christian world.
Sign from gawd?
Politics is everything now. The Trump brings it.
The ( t d s ) thing...……..it is your

Which has fuck-all to do with Notre Dame burning?

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
26.1.3  bbl-1  replied to  Texan1211 @26.1.2    5 years ago

everything.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
26.1.4  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  bbl-1 @26.1.1    5 years ago

Stop the partisan politics.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
26.1.5  Texan1211  replied to  bbl-1 @26.1.3    5 years ago

SMMFH

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
26.1.6  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  bbl-1 @26.1.3    5 years ago
everything.

Discuss the seeded topic and stop derailing another of my seeds with your irrelevant partisan politics.

If you ignore all of my requests, I will start flagging your comments.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
26.1.7  bbl-1  replied to  Jasper2529 @26.1.6    5 years ago

[deleted]

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
26.2  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  bbl-1 @26    5 years ago

Leave politics out of this seed.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
27  Enoch    5 years ago

The day following Palm Sunday, in Holy Week and the same week culminating in Easter Sunday the loss of this great historic Cathedral built in 1160 is a huge misfortune for follows of the Roman Catholic tradition.

Made most famous by the Victor Hugo novel, The Hunchback of Notre Dame it is a loss to the faithful of this fine noble tradition.

The hearts of all humankind go out to its followers, and to the French People.

Be of good cheer.

It will be renovated and restored.    

Peace and Abundant Blessings Always.

Enoch.

Ender
Professor Principal
27.1  Ender  replied to  Enoch @27    5 years ago

I read that maybe they could salvage a bunch of the statues because they were made of marble.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
27.1.1  katrix  replied to  Ender @27.1    5 years ago

Due to the renovation work, they had removed some of the statues just 4 days before the fire.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
28  XXJefferson51    5 years ago

WOW: The Cross Is Still Standing in Notre Dame

04d54abc-b68a-4dbc-883a-3289ab41924b.png

Source: AP Photo/Lori Hinant

The Notre Dame cathedral, one of the most iconic structures in Paris, will never be the same, having largely succumbed to an out of control fire Monday evening. The spire was the first thing to collapse, followed by the entire roof. 

Yet, the first photos capturing the inside of the 850-year-old cathedral revealed an incredible sight. The cross is still standing.

In fact, most of the interior appears to have been preserved. Un miracle incroyable.

Inside #NotreDame. Only a small part of the vault collapsed. Interior seems relatively untouched. Alleluia! #NotreDame #Parispic.twitter.com/Ni2PziGfEC — Notre-Dame Cathedral (@CathedraleNotre) April 15, 2019

Notre Dame's bell tower and main structure have also reportedly been spared.

There have been other inspiring sights on the streets of Paris tonight, including the moment a group of bystanders broke out in song and prayer.

French President Emmanuel Macron was somber, yet steadfast in his speech tonight outside the cathedral. He vowed that France would rebuild Notre Dame because it's their "destiny." The leader announced an international fundraising campaign to help with the effort.

Recommended from Townhall.   https://townhall.com/tipsheet/cortneyobrien/2019/04/15/wow-cross-is-still-standing-in-notre-dame-n2544828  

D4OqHRCWsAIOVzo?format=jpg&name=360x360D4OqHs8WkAcJpju?format=jpg&name=360x360
G6R6VRjB_bigger.png

neither flame nor the efforts of man. the cross still stands.

532 people are talking about this

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
28.1  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  XXJefferson51 @28    5 years ago

Thanks for another update. I've also heard that the organ is salvageable, too.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
29  dave-2693993    5 years ago

Sad really. I hope there is an investigation into this that is devoid of any type of political nonsense.

This my sound trivial and maybe ridiculous but I learned a wonderful term and understood it because of the structure. A time when what we often call stupid people were doing wonderful and magnificent things.

The term flying buttress, a series of external arching braces held the cathedral structure in place to prevent from collapsing. "Stupid" people coming up with magnificent solutions.

Really sad to see this.

My mind ventures back to times in the history of the Gauls. Of course most will remember Vercingetorix. One who would not drink the cool aid of of Julius Caesar.

Another, maybe even more noteworthy Gaul come to mind. Can't think of his name and google doesn't always drill down very well these days. Anyhow, the was the fella who stopped Atilla the Hun. Unless Google has been totally corrupted and parts of history re-written again, this Gaul fella's sister was killed by Attila and cohorts. To say this fella was not pleased was an understatement. 

He was pissed.  Pretty damn pissed. He rallied some troops and went after Attila. Tough back and forth battle. In the end this Gaul fella and his team ruthlessly slaughtered Attila's "troups". Marched the survivors back to Hun land and declared "you guys show up in our back yard again and we will take all of you out". Modern translation.

Sad to see Notre Dame burn. Let the investigation go unhindered.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
30  seeder  Jasper2529    5 years ago

Some clarification regarding what has been saved and what is still questionable: