╌>

Goodbye, Farewell and Amen....and thanks for the memories....from Shona1 and the Land Down Under

Category:  Op/Ed

By:  shona1  •  5 years ago  •  25 comments

Goodbye, Farewell and Amen....and thanks for the memories....from Shona1 and the Land Down Under

Evening. Not sure if I am even in the right section but anyway...Just wanted to say goodbye to you all as I have just been diagnosed with Myeloma which is a form of cancer...I had back trouble for near on 2 months and ended up in hospital. After a biopsy unfortunately, that was the cause...There is no cure and I accept that, but I tell you what cancer you are in for one hell of a fight. I have fantastic family, friends and neighbours and I plan to put all my energy into fighting for as long as I can. But I also wanted to say thanks for the memories here on Newstalkers and some of you from the Newsvine..I have enjoyed the discussions over the years and any article on the "Land Down Under" I was into it..So thank you all for your discussions and above all friendship over the years...Shona1 is my Collie...mine is Lorraine.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

shona1
PhD Quiet
1  author  shona1    5 years ago

Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence.

As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant, they too have their story. Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit.

If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself. Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution in your business affairs, for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals, and everywhere life is full of heroism. Be yourself. Especially, do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love, for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is perennial as the grass.

Take kindly to the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth. Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world.

Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

Phaedrus
Freshman Silent
1.1  Phaedrus  replied to  shona1 @1    5 years ago

Lorraine, my sincere sympathies for your diagnosis. As many have pointed out, you still have a lot of good years and who knows what advances will take place in those years.

But I wanted to thank you for your advice above as well. It's beautiful and truly moved me.....Thank you.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2  Vic Eldred  replied to  shona1 @1    5 years ago

Amen. 

Fight it all the way

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
1.3  mocowgirl  replied to  shona1 @1    5 years ago

It is a beautiful word and made even more beautiful because of people like you.  Your words are an inspiration to us all.

I wish you all the best always.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

Why do bad things have to happen to good people?  Why?

Uptownchick
Junior Silent
3  Uptownchick    5 years ago

881f227f14c4db8267fec8f99c92727b.jpg

Ender
Professor Principal
5  Ender    5 years ago

Hey Lorraine, I am David.

I wish you would stay with us as some times I feel we have online families. I understand though as the people in front of you are the most important.

I have always enjoyed your input and news and info from our great brethren from the Land Down Under.

You are a great mind and a great spirit. Something a lot of people could only aspire.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
6  dave-2693993    5 years ago

Farewall Loraine and to Shona as well.

You will both be missed.

Dave.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
7  sandy-2021492    5 years ago

Lorraine, I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis.  There is as yet no cure for multiple myeloma, but there are many treatments available.  My cousin's husband has been living with multiple myeloma for years now, as have several people I know in the community.  And when I say living, I mean living, not just surviving - running businesses, taking vacations, helping raise grandbabies.

Like Ender, I hope you stay here on NT as you're able, but I understand if you have to prioritize your time and energy.

Peace, and as we always tell my cousin-in-law, kick cancer's ass.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
8  Sparty On    5 years ago

My comfort and prayers go out to you and yours Lorraine.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
8.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  Sparty On @8    5 years ago

As do my prayers and best wishes.. Hang in there and fight it.  My dad fought his for 12 years after it was diagnosed and 8 years after they told him he had less than one.  God, Family, friends, a pet, a positive outlook, health oriented alternative and use of best technology treatments combined is what it takes at least in his case and hopefully they will find a way help you for a long time.  

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
9  Bob Nelson    5 years ago

It's not over 'til it's over.

Live!

Enoch
Masters Quiet
10  Enoch    5 years ago

Dear Friend Shona1: Site private note sent. 

I am here for you every step of the way.

Enoch.

Kavika
Professor Principal
11  Kavika     5 years ago

My dear Aussie friend, I'm so sorry to hear of this. As always I'll help you fight this every step of the way. 

"Don’t be discouraged. It’s often the last key in the bunch that opens the lock."  

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
12  Perrie Halpern R.A.    5 years ago

Hi Lorraine,

I am so sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I know your head must be spinning right now. It will be a battle but I know people who have lived with this cancer for years and are still here. Another member's wife was just dxed with the same disease. 

I am here for you, as is the community. You can see the love you have here. Get your treatment, but try to keep your life as normal as possible. Try to remain on NT and you will see it is better to try and keep life as normal as possible.  I will be keeping in touch, so check your PN's. 

btw.. beautiful collie. I had one, too named Lucky. 

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
13  Freefaller    5 years ago

Shona fight with all you have and know that you will be missed here. 

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
14  bbl-1    5 years ago

Best wishes for all of you.  Be strong.

devangelical
Professor Principal
15  devangelical    5 years ago

despite little interaction between us, I think, I'm still very sorry to hear this news. first get a second opinion. if it concurs, toss the rule book, grab the bucket list, throw a cover over your computer, and make every moment bring you joy.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
16  Raven Wing    5 years ago

Dear Shona,

I am so very, very sorry to hear of your cancer diagnosis. I fully understand the mental, emotional and physical ups and downs you and your family and friends will be facing. 

I have truly enjoyed the many conversations we have shared here on NT, and have learned a lot from them. While I hate to see you leave us here, I understand the need to focus on your health, family and friends now. 

You and your family are in my heart and prayers. 

nv-wa-do-hi-ya-dv (Peace)

CB
Professor Principal
17  CB    5 years ago

Shona, I do not feel I know you as well here or from NewsVine, however I too wish to extend words to you. Many are sharing brave thoughts of those who have triumphed over cancer as the years and decades pack up. It is difficult to know what an individual's future experiences can be, but one can throw strength from knowing that some others have gotten more and many more years from the journey you are entering into. I wish you well. I wish to hear from you as well. I wish to know your trials with this disease. I wish to know your triumphs.

As you surround yourself with friends in the real world, continue to know that we are clustered together as a "bunch" for you in the virtual land you loved for so, very, long.

CB/Calbab/ Cal

luther28
Sophomore Silent
18  luther28    5 years ago

Sorry for your troubles, we will meet on the other side.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
19  JohnRussell    5 years ago

Shona, we never talked much , but I always enjoyed reading what you had to say from "Down Under". You seem like a genuinely wonderful person.  I wish you the best as you confront your illness, and may God bless you. 

lib50
Professor Silent
20  lib50    5 years ago

I read this the other day and have been thinking about you ever since.  I think I consider it a gift to have a chance to do and say what we want before we go.  I don't know the progression of your disease, but nothing is certain,  including our timeline.   Make the most of the time and if you ever want to read any books on life and death and in between, I can recommend a few I consider among the best.   I've always been interested in metaphysics and after my daughter died I went much deeper.  I truly hope you continue to bless us with your presence and have the best health possible.  I've had Melanoma for 10 years, 7 in stage 3.  It was hard to be positive in the beginning, but I kept working on it and was finally successful.  Sending you light.