Mueller report outlines Trump's attempts to assert control over Russia probe

Via:  atheist  •  one month ago  •  38 comments

Mueller report outlines Trump's attempts to assert control over Russia probe
"This is the end of my presidency," Mr. Trump said when Mueller was appointed in 2017. "I'm f**ked."

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

The redacted version of Mueller's report released by the Justice Department Thursday morning is more than 400 pages long and outlines 10 instances of potential obstruction of justice analyzed by the special counsel. According to Mueller, Mr. Trump tried to assert control over Mueller's investigation as it threatened to consume his presidency, only to be stymied by aides who ignored or refused to carry out his directives.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
Find text within the comments Find 

Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו
1  seeder  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו    one month ago

One particular attempt to obstruct happened after Scumbag tried to get McGahn to fire Sessions.   McGahn refused on the spot and threatened to resign rather that be ordered  to do it.  Then Scumbag got the brilliant idea to call his former hatchet man, Lewandowski, to tell Sessions to order the SC to stop investigating the Russian connection and if he didn't agree to fire him (Sessions).  Lewandowski had absolutely no authority to do that and wisely just shined Scumbag on.  The description of the charge of obstruction is on p. 90, vol. II of the report.  For your edification and entertainment:

(apologies for the small font and blurriness; it was not possible to do a copy/paste function for this document so I had to do several captures to get it posted) 

This is an astonishing assessment.  It's the SC investigators providing the prosecutorial pathway that would be used if Scumbag could have been indicted or might still be indicted in the future when the presidency doesn't protect him.  

tomwcraig
1.1  tomwcraig  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @1    one month ago

I notice a qualifier under the Obstructive act heading.  "If the investigation was narrowed to future elections as Trump asked Session to do" is really what it is saying there.  Let's put it this way, the only thing an investigation into meddling as a reaction is not really conducive as shown by the Mueller investigation.  Has Mueller proposed any actions to stop future meddling?  Remember, this was supposed to have been a counter-intelligence investigation rather than a criminal one.  So, has Mueller proposed anything to fix and prevent Russian meddling for the future as should have been the result of the investigation?  No, because it morphed into a criminal investigation to be used as a means to overthrow a dutifully elected Presidency that came up with nothing except vague interpretations of actions that could be taken as defensive or as proactive to what the purpose of the investigation was originally dressed as rather than as obstructing.

Ozzwald
1.1.1  Ozzwald  replied to  tomwcraig @1.1    one month ago
Has Mueller proposed any actions to stop future meddling?

Not his job.  Has Trump done anything to prevent further Russian meddling?  (That IS his job)!

Remember, this was supposed to have been a counter-intelligence investigation rather than a criminal one.

That's how it started, but it was not what Mueller was appointed to investigate.

So, has Mueller proposed anything to fix and prevent Russian meddling for the future as should have been the result of the investigation?

No matter how many times you repeat it, that still is not his job.

No, because it morphed into a criminal investigation to be used as a means to overthrow a dutifully elected Presidency that came up with nothing except vague interpretations of actions that could be taken as defensive or as proactive to what the purpose of the investigation was originally dressed as rather than as obstructing.

So you feel the President is above all laws, since you are opposed to any criminal investigation involving him (irregardless of actual guilt).  You must have been beside yourself with outrage during the Watergate investigation, or Whitewater.

2  seeder  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו    one month ago

Scumbag has another worry.  It's possible that he could be (or maybe already has been) indicted under seal in which stops the clock on the statute of limitations.  Unsealing the document after he leaves office would subject him to prosecution at that time.  

Paula Bartholomew
2.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @2    one month ago

What the Trumpbots don't realize that even though no collusion,  the report has opened the door to further investigations of not only him but his whole barrel of rotten apples.

lady in black
3  lady in black    one month ago

The worst president ever.  Lies, cheats, steals, on and on and on.  So sad people actually defend this POS

It Is ME
3.1  It Is ME  replied to  lady in black @3    one month ago
The worst president ever. 

If Trump is the worst, I'd hate to see what you consider good !

What is going wrong in this country right now ?

3.1.1  seeder  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  It Is ME @3.1    one month ago
What is going wrong in this country right now ?

Having a lying, criminal scumbag in the presidency beats whatever else you'd be thinking of by light years.  

bugsy
3.1.2  bugsy  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @3.1.1    one month ago

So you think telling a few lies is far worse than...

1. Best economy in a decade or better

2. Lowest unemployment rate since the 1960's

3. Lowest use of food stamps in a decade

4. Best employment of all minorities..EVER

I can go on but you would not believe any of it.

I for one can get over a few lies, or even alot of lies, if it means this country is far more prosperous than anything his predecessor could ever dream.

3.1.3  seeder  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  bugsy @3.1.2    one month ago
I can go on but you would not believe any of it.

Yeah, because it's all based on a BS premise since everything you listed has been a continuation of the trend started by Obama.  That's just fact.  Scumbag came into office with a booming economy and steadily dropping unemployment.  Giving Scumbag credit for just having it handed to him is like giving credit to a lottery winner for creating the lottery.   Of course, that's how Scumbag's entire life has been---handed to him.  And he still managed to fail miserably in the private sector (which is the real reason he doesn't want his financial records out).  And again, it's a bit early to crow (just as it was about the Barr summary of the Mueller report--will you people never learn?  I hope not).  You lot did the same thing with Dubya's economic "miracle" and we remember (even if you've tried to erase it from your memory) how that turned out.  

Ender
3.1.4  Ender  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @3.1.3    one month ago

I have shown charts and data about these things. It is like some people just stick their fingers in their ears.

Their usual comeback is the federal reserve and interest rates.

Thrawn 31
3.1.5  Thrawn 31  replied to  It Is ME @3.1    one month ago

Trump is a fucking awful president. He is the first to make me actually think that the founders fucked up with the executive branch. 

Thrawn 31
3.1.6  Thrawn 31  replied to  bugsy @3.1.2    one month ago
So you think telling a few lies is far worse than..

Yes.

bugsy
3.1.7  bugsy  replied to  Thrawn 31 @3.1.6    one month ago
Yes.

I guess remaining poor and relying on the gument is the best trac for you, then. Good luck in your endeavors.

bugsy
3.1.8  bugsy  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @3.1.3    one month ago
Scumbag came into office with a booming economy and steadily dropping unemployment. 

Not sure who "scumbag" is, as it seems to be a common talking points you guys have been given, but this sentence here is total bs and you know it.

http://politicsthatwork.com/economic-record-president/obama

Says here that EVERYTHING under Obama was less than average compared to every other modern day president, except the debt to GDP rate, which was far higher. He also had the highest number of people on welfare and collecting food stamps. I guess to keep democrats under control, you have to keep up the bennies.

Even NPR says Trump has most of the credit...

https://www.npr.org/2018/09/12/646708799/fact-check-who-gets-credit-for-the-booming-u-s-economy

Face it...your messiah was a failure.

bugsy
3.1.9  bugsy  replied to  Ender @3.1.4    one month ago
Their usual comeback is the federal reserve and interest rates.

Show me in my response where I cited either.

It Is ME
3.1.10  It Is ME  replied to  Thrawn 31 @3.1.5    one month ago
Trump is a fucking awful president.

How is Trump an awful president ?

Economies good, He's revamping crappy contracts, he's making countries pony up for a change, unemployment dropped, wages are going up, people (ALL) can keep more of their own money....etc.

What's the downfall of the Trump Presidency again ?

It Is ME
3.1.11  It Is ME  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @3.1.1    one month ago
Having a lying, criminal scumbag in the presidency

Ain't hurtin' my money making job, at all !

Trump must have cut your funding ? is that why your pissed off ?

bugsy
3.1.12  bugsy  replied to  It Is ME @3.1.10    one month ago
Economies good, He's revamping crappy contracts, he's making countries pony up for a change, unemployment dropped, wages are going up, people (ALL) can keep more of their own money....etc.

THIS is why libs say the President is awful.

He is doing everything that is successful to the country, nullifying the need for a democrat president for years to come.

3.1.13  seeder  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  bugsy @3.1.8    one month ago

You've got Dumbya and Scumbag as evidence of your idea of success so by definition you and yours are the least qualified people on the planet to make that judgment.

Ender
3.1.14  Ender  replied to  bugsy @3.1.8    one month ago
Even NPR says Trump has most of the credit

If you read that article, it doesn't say that at all.

Paula Bartholomew
3.1.15  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  bugsy @3.1.2    one month ago

A few lies?  OMG, that is the best laugh I have had all day.

3.1.16  seeder  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  bugsy @3.1.8    4 weeks ago

First, it's so refreshing to hear that lies don't matter to your side anymore.  I seem to remember when Obama made his famous "you can keep your doctor" claim that you lot were ready to have him arrested -- never mind any process like impeachment.  But we always knew the right's objection to lying was based on projection.  

As to your NPR link (really funny you're now sourcing NPR after decades of telling us it's never to be trusted) I must again thank you lot in general for never actually reading the articles you think prove your point.  See, bugs, NPR (unlike the sources you usually rely on) presents multiple sides of a question.  I see that you've decided that the extremely pro-Scumbag economist they cited is the one you like (what a surprise!!) while rejecting the multiple sources that back up my facts cited above.  If only you had read the actual article to the end:

Significantly, Hassett [the rabidly pro-Scumbag economist] did not highlight GDP growth, perhaps because the measure has bounced up and down and would not show a clear difference between Trump and Obama. Although Trump often boasts about the strong GDP showing between April and June — when growth topped 4 percent — there were quarters during Obama's tenure when growth was even stronger. Forecasters disagree about whether Trump can deliver sustained, multiyear growth in the 3 percent range, as promised. So while the White House can certainly point to some yardsticks that indicate a meaningful turnaround on Trump's watch — including small business sentiment, business investment and goods-producing job growth — broader measures of the overall job market and wages show the economy continues to follow the steady, upward glide path that began under Obama.

I do love it when you lot try to play the game, bugs, even if I feel a little guilty from knowing you're so badly outmatched. 

3.1.17  seeder  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  It Is ME @3.1.11    4 weeks ago
Ain't hurtin' my money making job, at all !

There's that "famous" rightwing poll of one, again.  

3.1.18  seeder  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  bugsy @3.1.2    4 weeks ago
So you think telling a few lies is far worse than...

Only a Trumper can call over 10,000 (and counting daily)  lies "a few."  

It Is ME
3.1.19  It Is ME  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @3.1.17    4 weeks ago
There's that "famous" rightwing poll of one, again.  

Your STILL not on the list of "Money Makers" ?

3.1.20  seeder  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  It Is ME @3.1.19    4 weeks ago

You still on the  list of wingers who like to tell us how successful they are and expect us to believe it? 

It Is ME
3.1.21  It Is ME  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @3.1.20    4 weeks ago

3.1.22  seeder  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  It Is ME @3.1.21    3 weeks ago

And you still expect us to believe you are.  What. A. Joke. 

It Is ME
3.1.23  It Is ME  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @3.1.22    3 weeks ago
And you still expect us to believe you are. 

Still don't know who you are ?

What. A. Joke., that you won't answer my question. jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

3.1.24  seeder  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  bugsy @3.1.2    one week ago
1. Best economy in a decade or better 2. Lowest unemployment rate since the 1960's

Let's just look at those top two (false) claims:

Not sure what parameters you use for "best economy" but if the longest period of sustained growth belongs to the Clinton administration and the current one (which started 8 years before Shitbag became "president") is just now coming into second place:

1991 to 2001 - 10 years

The rapid adoption of computers and growth of the internet in the 1990s led to huge increases in productivity and strong economic growth. But that growth led the stock market to record highs, causing a bubble to develop among tech stocks. Unemployment was also very low, making it difficult for employers to find the workers they needed to grow. All of this laid the groundwork for the end of that expansion. Unemployment bottomed out at about the same time that the stock market bubble burst. A year later the recession started.

1961 to 1969: 8 years, 10 months

At the time, tax cuts, government spending on Great Society programs such as Medicare and Medicaid, as well as on the Vietnam war all pumped money into the economy. So did greater access to credit, as consumer borrowing soared. The growth lasted until the Fed's inflation fighting efforts at the end of the decade brought about a recession.

2009 to present: 8 years, 7 months and counting

This expansion started with the stimulus spending and tax cuts that passed in early 2009 to battle the Great Recession. The bailout of the auto industry that summer also helped get the economy growing again. But growth has generally been slow, but steady, ever since.

And as indicated above, the unemployment level in 2001 reached the same level we have now and as this chart shows, the unemployment rate has dropped smoothly and precipitously ever since the end of Obama's first year in office in the midst of the second worst economic collapse in our history (IOW, not a thing to do with your Shitbag other than, like all of his other "successes," being inherited):

Thrawn 31
4  Thrawn 31    one month ago

All the report showed is what we have already known. Trump is a retarded piece of shit and is not a criminal only because those around him did their damndest to not let him be. 

pat wilson
4.1  pat wilson  replied to  Thrawn 31 @4    one month ago

And he's pissed off about it, lol, he should be thanking them !!

tomwcraig
5  tomwcraig    one month ago

In order to think Trump obstructed anything, you need to take all actions he did and words he said, and ignore all reasons but obstruction to get to that conviction.  Comey's firing, for example, had many reasons surrounding it that caused it to be justified. 

1) Trump could fire him just because he didn't agree with him or had a good working relationship with him (ie Presidential hiring decisions).

2) Comey's handling of the Clinton Email scandal where he exonerated her before reopening the case and re-exonerating her (which classifies as a total bungling of the investigation or, in other words, incompetence).

3) Rod Rosenstein's recommendation to fire Comey, considering that Rosenstein was Comey's superior in the DoJ.

Those 3 reasons are completely outside of obstruction and to come to any conclusion or belief that Comey's firing was a sign of obstruction; all of them have to be ignored in favor of Trump fired Comey because he wanted to stop the Russian collusion investigation.

5.1  seeder  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  tomwcraig @5    one month ago
Comey's firing, for example, had many reasons surrounding it that caused it to be justified. 

Well, many concocted, invented, after-the-fact justifications for it, yeah.  Obviously, you refused to read the documentation included with this article or even my summary of it.  In each of the 10 instances  Mueller found of obstruction he documented the 3 elements needed for an obstruction charge (the obstructive act, the nexus (connection) to an official proceeding--i.e., the investigation into Russian involvement it the 2016 election and intent). Mueller followed the strict letter of the OLC ruling that a sitting President may not be indicted so he clearly states later in the report that his purpose was to aid prosecutors in the future when that immunity no longer exists.  

Ozzwald
5.2  Ozzwald  replied to  tomwcraig @5    one month ago
1) Trump could fire him just because he didn't agree with him or had a good working relationship with him (ie Presidential hiring decisions).

Trump's stated reason was because of his mis-management of Hillary's investigation.  The exact same thing he had praised Comey for previously.

2) Comey's handling of the Clinton Email scandal where he exonerated her before reopening the case and re-exonerating her (which classifies as a total bungling of the investigation or, in other words, incompetence).

Okay, complete lie there.  He didn't "reopen" anything.  He stated that there were additional emails found.  His announcement was improper and violated DOJ guidelines, but again, Trump had praised him for doing this.

3) Rod Rosenstein's recommendation to fire Comey, considering that Rosenstein was Comey's superior in the DoJ.

Mueller has already stated that Rosenstein's letter about Comey was all but dictated by Trump.  Trump ordered Rosenstein to write that letter.

Those 3 reasons are completely outside of obstruction

Not to mention outside reality.

and to come to any conclusion or belief that Comey's firing was a sign of obstruction

You mean a conclusion based on Trump's own words to NBC and the Russians?

all of them have to be ignored in favor of Trump fired Comey because he wanted to stop the Russian collusion investigation.

Not ignored, discounted because of their obvious lies.  To think it wasn't obstruction would require you to ignore Trump's own statements that he fired Comey because of the Russian investigation.

5.3  seeder  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  tomwcraig @5    4 weeks ago

Do you not actually do any fact-checking before you post these completely false comments or just ignore the facts in front of you.  Comey never exonerated Clinton--not the first time he spoke publicly when he announced that there was no evidence she lied and there wasn't evidence of any criminality and THEN went on to list a bunch of things that he didn't like about her.  IOW, went out of his way to smear her without cause.  This is never done when prosecutors decide not to charge someone.  But, not happy with that, he went on to publicly announce that the investigation had uncovered new evidence 10 days before the election only to announce three days before it that...oh, never mind.  Nothing to see there after all.  Those 10 days certainly helped cripple her chances.  So, attacking Comey as some sort of anti-Scumbag partisan is not just a lie.  It's the worst kind of lie.  

6  seeder  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו    one month ago

It's fascinating and yet another example of how similar this criminal president's behavior is too Nixon's that Don McGahn, the former WH lawyer, is about to play a major role in it when he testifies before Congress.  That's what John Dean's job was in the Nixon WH and it was his testimony (later backed up by Nixon's tapes) that was the first nail in the coffin for that presidency.  The difference now is that McGahn told the truth to the OSC investigators while Dean lied and went to prison.