╌>

More than 280 injured in Sri Lanka blasts that hit three churches and three hotels on Easter Sunday

Category:  World News

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  5 years ago  •  27 comments

More than 280 injured in Sri Lanka blasts that hit three churches and three hotels on Easter Sunday
A hospital spokesman said at least 30 people were killed.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

By Associated Press

COLOMBO, Sri Lanka — A Sri Lanka hospital spokesman says six Easter Sunday blasts killed at least 30 people and wounded 283 others.

National Hospital spokesman Dr. Samindi Samarakoon says the nearly 300 wounded have been admitted to the capital Colombo's main hospital.

The near-simultaneous blasts hit three churches and three hotels frequented by tourists, said a Sri Lanka security official who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to reporters.

The official suspects at least two of the blasts were caused by suicide bombers.

The first blast ripped through St. Anthony's Shrine in Colombo.

One church, St. Anthony's Shrine, and the three hotels are in Colombo and are frequented by foreign tourists. The other two churches are in Negombo, a Catholic majority town north of Colombo, and the eastern town of Batticaloa.

Alex Agileson, who was in the vicinity, said buildings in the surrounding area shook with the blast. He said a number of injured were carried in ambulances.

A second explosion was reported at St. Sebastian's Church in Negombo, a Catholic majority town north of Colombo. The church has appealed for help on its Facebook page.

Sri Lankan security officials said they were checking for details. Police immediately rushed to both areas and sealed off the churches.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    5 years ago

I am wondering what would cause this kind of action there. The country is about 70% Buddhists, but there was a civil war there not long ago. I am curious if anyone knows anything else.  

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
2  dave-2693993    5 years ago

What's the M.O.? Then which region did the attacks occur?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

The count at this time is at least 150 dead, 8 churches and 3 hotels hit.  At least 2 suicide bombers.

I wonder if someone will try to say this was caused by mental illness or workplace violence.

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
3.1  SteevieGee  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3    5 years ago

My guess is religious extremists so... yeah, mental illness.

zuksam
Junior Silent
4  zuksam    5 years ago

The Story I first read on MSN said   "Christian groups say they have faced increasing intimidation from some extremist Buddhist monks in recent years. And last year, there were clashes between the majority Sinhalese Buddhist community and minority Muslims, with some hardline Buddhist groups accusing Muslims of forcing people to convert to Islam."   So I guess they're implying that it could have been extremist Buddhist monks and I guess it's possible but I've never heard of Buddhist's carrying out Suicide Attacks. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
4.1  MrFrost  replied to  zuksam @4    5 years ago
I've never heard of Buddhist's carrying out Suicide Attacks. 

Neither have I which leads me to believe it probably wasn't Buddhist Monks. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  zuksam @4    5 years ago

Usually Buddhists don't want to step on an ant, so instead they take it out on themselves.

0-5.jpeg

Attacks on Christians and their churches are usually carried out by another brand of extremists - i.e. on Coptic Christians in Egypt, Christians in Nigeria, and elsewhere (for those who read the real news that the mainstream media usually omits).

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5  JohnRussell    5 years ago

People have been killing each other over religion for thousands of years. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
5.2  XXJefferson51  replied to  JohnRussell @5    5 years ago

And Buzzfeed is in some trouble over a reference to Trump regarding this terrorist attack. https://www.foxnews.com/politics/buzzfeed-news-editor-trump-outraged-sri-lanka-victims-white

MrFrost
Professor Expert
6  MrFrost    5 years ago

[deleted]

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
7  Paula Bartholomew    5 years ago

Does anyone know if ISIS is involved? 

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
7.1  dave-2693993  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @7    5 years ago

At this point, even though the authorities are confident they know who the terrorists are, no one is willing to actually say it. The M.O. followed a certain trend of a certain known source of terror and apparently no one is allowed to make the looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, must be a duck analogy.

There is some information here:

I am pretty sure at the NY Times as well.

Specifically:

Prime Minister Wickremesinghe also said that there had been advance warning of a possible attack, but that it was not acted upon, and it’s not yet clear why. The New York Times reports that :
A top police official alerted security officials in an advisory 10 days ago about a threat to prominent churches from a radical Islamist group, National Thowheeth Jama’ath . But it was unclear what safeguards, if any, were taken, or if in the end the group played any role in Sunday’s violence. And on Sunday, reflecting frictions within the government, the prime minister pointedly said he had not been informed.

Not enough information to know if that precludes ISIS.

P.S. I purposefully used a heavily left leaning source for this news.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  dave-2693993 @7.1    5 years ago

Ah, yes, "The truth will make you free".

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
7.1.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  dave-2693993 @7.1    5 years ago

On today's news, it would seem that ISIS is claiming responsibility although it is for now unsubstantiated.  It can't be ISIS because Trump said he defeated ISIS.

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
7.1.3  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @7.1.2    5 years ago
It can't be ISIS because Trump said he defeated ISIS.

because we have troops fighting in sri lanka...  LOL

next time think it thru.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
7.1.4  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @7.1.3    5 years ago

I am just pointing out that as usual, Trump opened his mouth without thinking or having facts regarding the demise of ISIS when most of us said, yeah right.  His hypocrisy is rampant as he dissed Bush for declaring "Mission Accomplished".

It can't be ISIS because Trump said he defeated ISIS.

I forgot to add the s/ tag.....my bad.

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
7.1.5  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @7.1.4    5 years ago
His hypocrisy is rampant as he dissed Bush for declaring "Mission Accomplished".

bush did not declare mission accomplished.... LOL

the capt of that ship did as they just returned from their mission.

the left are such drama queens, it just gets funnier by the day.

cheers :)

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
8  XXJefferson51    5 years ago

A sad Easter massacre of Christians in a country that’s at most 10% Christian and there are two other religions much larger.  I have never heard of Buddhist suicide bombers....

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
9  XXJefferson51    5 years ago

Sri Lanka church, hotel massacre victims include TV chef, mother and son, Americans

Frank20Miles20HEADSHOT.jpg?ve=1&tl=1
By Frank Miles | Fox News  https://www.foxnews.com/world/sri-lanka-church-hotel-massacre-victims-tv-chef-mother-son-americans

Kavika
Professor Principal
10  Kavika     5 years ago

For the past 6 years in Myanmar (Burma) Buddhist monks have led a war against Muslim minority (Rohingya). Rioting and burning of Muslims villages have lead to thousands of deaths of Muslims with thousands more fleeing the country.  

Seems that some Buddhists are as peaceful as they are said to be. 

The Buddhist Monk that is leading much of this call's himself the Buddhist Bin Laden.

In Sri Lanka the tension between the majority Buddhist, 70% of the population and the Muslims, 9% of the population. It seems from all reports that the Buddhists are trying to drive out the Muslims from Sri Lanka.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
10.1  dave-2693993  replied to  Kavika @10    5 years ago

What you say is absolutely true Kavika.

My concern here, is our societies tend to swing too far and over correct, rather than just laying cards on the table, regardless of who or what may be the source or cause of things like this. JMO, this leads to bigger problems in the long run.

I hope I am wrong about this situation, but we will see at some point.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
10.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika @10    5 years ago

Go ahead and blame the Buddhists, Kavika, notwithstanding the threat of this tragedy being issued by a Muslim faction just days before, and arrests having just been made at their hideout where 3 police persons were killed in the battle.  Even the left wing NY Times mentions the threat and who sent it.

Kavika
Professor Principal
10.2.1  Kavika   replied to  Buzz of the Orient @10.2    5 years ago
Go ahead and blame the Buddhists, Kavika,

What the hell are you talking about Buzz. I didn't blame the Buddhists at all, I pointed out that they are capable of extreme violence as well. 

Maybe you should learn more about the history of Sri Lanka and the ethnic violence before commenting to me.

Deal with it. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
10.2.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika @10.2.1    5 years ago

The violent military wing of Myanmar, over which the civilian leader has no control, is well known to have been a cause of the Rohingya conflict, but other than in Myanmar, Buddhists are well known world wide to be non-violent.  Your comment was a suggestion that Buddhists were responsible for this tragedy in Sri Lanka, even in the face of evidence of Muslim involvement. There. I've dealt with it.

I did not accuse or even suggest that ANY religion was involved until I saw the NY times report evidence.

Kavika
Professor Principal
10.2.3  Kavika   replied to  Buzz of the Orient @10.2.2    5 years ago
Your comment was a suggestion that Buddhists were responsible for this tragedy in Sri Lanka, even in the face of evidence of Muslim involvement. There. I've dealt with it.

Bullshit Buzz. If you knew anything at all about the the civil war that lasted for over 20 years in Sri Lanka between the Buddhist majority and the Tamil Tigers which were Hindu, Christian and Muslim you might have a different opinion.  Tens of thousands died and the Buddhist were not non violent in this. 

I don't know who did the bombing and neither do you. I'll want for some conclusive proof. Is it possible that ISIS or a muslim terrorist group did it, of course it is. Is it possible that the Tamil Tigers are back since the Buddhist majority have marginilized them, possible. What it does show is that the government and agencies screwed the pooch on this. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
10.2.4  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika @10.2.3    5 years ago

Okay, I admit that you have a point.