╌>

Oldest human footprint found in the Americas confirmed in Chile: researcher

Category:  Anthropology & Archeology

Via:  kavika  •  5 years ago  •  16 comments

Oldest human footprint found in the Americas confirmed in Chile: researcher

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

An ancient footprint is pictured, having formed cracks due to desiccation after being extracted from its original site, in Osorno, Chile sometime in April 2019. Universidad Austral de Chile, Laboratorio de Sitio Pilauco/Handout via REUTERS

SANTIAGO (Reuters) - A 15,600-year old footprint discovered in southern Chile is believed to be the oldest ever found in the Americas, according to researchers.

The footprint was first discovered in 2010 by a student at the Universidad Austral of Chile. Scientists then worked for years to rule out the possibility that the print may have belonged to some other species of animal, and to determine the fossil’s estimated age.

Karen Moreno, a paleontologist with the Universidad Austral who has overseen the studies, said researchers had also found bones of animals near the site, including those of primitive elephants, but determined that the footprint was evidence of human presence.

Moreno said this was the first evidence of humans in the Americas older than 12,000 years.

“Little by little in South America we’re starting to find sites with evidence of human presence, but this is this oldest in the Americas,” she said.

Reporting by Fabian Cambero, writing by Dave Sherwood; editing by Bill Berkrot

MORE FROM REUTERS

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Kavika
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Kavika     5 years ago
Moreno said this was the first evidence of humans in the Americas older than 12,000 years.

Actually that comment is incorrect..A 13,000 old footprint was found on Calvert Island BC in 2015 and Montana Boy, a full skeleton was discovered in Montana and dated to 12,600

Naia was discovered in Mexico and is dated to 12,000. 

If this article and discovery is correct many of the former theories are once again out the window or raise more question than they answer. 

The more discoveries the more questions...

I love this stuff. 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
1.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Kavika @1    5 years ago
I love this stuff. 

Archaeology or Paleontology was my dream career when I was a young girl, and I studied on my own for many years hoping that I would be able to go to college and achieve my dream. But, obviously, the Creator had other plans for me and I was never able to fulfill my dream.

But, I still delve into both areas now and then, and love to read or watch publications such as this to keep my dream alive. Maybe in my next life. (smile)

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Raven Wing @1.1    5 years ago
Archaeology or Paleontology was my dream career

I really started getting interested when I was in by 50's....Reading everyting that I could find on discoveries in the Americas...The number of new discoveries between then and now is amazing.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
1.1.2  Raven Wing  replied to  Kavika @1.1.1    5 years ago
The number of new discoveries between then and now is amazing.

Indeed! I love it when I read or hear about new findings or discoveries, especially, those that rival those that are supposed to be the oldest, biggest, etc. Things that we thought were the real deals about history of our planet and events of human existence continue to be bested by new findings and/or discoveries. Such as what this article is about, that pushes the time and place of prior conclusions to new dates and places.

How, when and where things happened regarding Mother Earth and the various inhabitants over the life of our planet is a force that is strong with this one. (grin)

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
2  dave-2693993    5 years ago

Kavika!!!

Excellent article.

The more they dig, the more they find.

As always, THANK YOU.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  dave-2693993 @2    5 years ago

There isn't much information on this, all  the reports are short. Hopefully in the near future there will be more information on this find. 

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
2.1.1  dave-2693993  replied to  Kavika @2.1    5 years ago

The information is coming forth at light speed these day.

Yay!!!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

Isn't there a trace of the Nike symbol on it?

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3    5 years ago

Isn't there a trace of the Nike symbol on it?

That stick looking thing in the photo is the original Nike logo, Buzz. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika @3.1    5 years ago

LOL

luther28
Sophomore Silent
4  luther28    5 years ago

Interesting as always Kavika.

There are many sites throughout the world that have only recently been located via satellite mapping. Hopefully there will be more finds such as this as a result aiding to the attempt to find out where we came from and where are we headed.

Kavika
Professor Principal
5  seeder  Kavika     5 years ago
There are many sites throughout the world that have only recently been located via satellite mapping. Hopefully there will be more finds such as this as a result aiding to the attempt to find out where we came from and where are we headed.

Very true luther. The Lidar (radar) has made some amazing discoveries in the past few years. Here is one of the, a great article

Enoch
Masters Quiet
6  Enoch    5 years ago

Readers of this article may find it interesting that there were over 1,000 big foot observations at Foot Locker in April alone.

Enoch In 17,000 year old New Balance athletic shoes.     

Kavika
Professor Principal
6.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Enoch @6    5 years ago
Enoch In 17,000 year old New Balance athletic shoes. 

Your avatar calls BS on that claim niijii...Those are sandals...LOL

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika @6.1    5 years ago

NIKE sandals.   LOL

Kavika
Professor Principal
6.1.2  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.1.1    5 years ago
NIKE sandals.   LOL

Swoosh....