╌>

California passes bill making workplace hair discrimination illegal

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  5 years ago  •  4 comments

"A Google image search for 'unprofessional hairstyles' yielded only pictures of black women with their natural hair or wearing natural braids or twists," said Los Angeles Democrat Holly Mitchell, who introduced the bill.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

gettyimages-1094623546.jpg?itok=eKJH5tHn

California is trying to make it illegal to discriminate against a person in the workplace based on their hairstyle.

The state's Senate unanimously passed a bill prohibiting the discrimination, which would ban schools and workplaces from forbidding braids, twists and other natural hair styles, reports CNN .

The bill follows in the footsteps of New York City, which banned hair discrimination in February. Last July, the U.S. Navy also amended its policies to allow wider buns, ponytails and loc hairstyles, per Axios .

Workplace restrictions on hair have been labeled as discriminatory against African Americans who are wearing their hair's natural texture, Axios reports, and have previously been taken to court .

"A Google image search for 'unprofessional hairstyles' yielded only pictures of black women with their natural hair or wearing natural braids or twists," said Los Angeles Democrat Holly Mitchell, who introduced the bill. The bill will now go to the state Assembly for a vote.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    5 years ago

What will the Democrats cry about next? Now they don't want to be discriminated on the basis of their hair? Snowflakes. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  seeder  JohnRussell    5 years ago

we dont all look alike

Star-Wars-Cantina-752904.jpg

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2  It Is ME    5 years ago

California is GREAT !

They can find ANYTHING to make some kinda RULE or Law about ! jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

Time for all California residence to be REQUIRED to wear Burkas ! EVERYONE luvs them a "Mystery" !

But only Blue or Black. No One likes a showoff !

luther28
Sophomore Silent
3  luther28    5 years ago

I thought the hair issue had died out in the sixties.

As long as they were working, performing their tasks to an acceptable level etc., anyone employed by myself  could wear a palm tree on their noggin as far as I'm concerned. Although to be honest this is the first time I have heard that hair (unless it is a safety issue) somehow undermines the work ethic or is discriminated against.

Perhaps the folks complaining suffer from balding or hair loss.