╌>

Multiple people shot in attack on Poway synagogue; police detain man for questioning

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  kavika  •  5 years ago  •  91 comments

Multiple people shot in attack on Poway synagogue; police detain man for questioning

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

BBWm0NE.img?h=810&w=1438&m=6&q=60&o=f&l= © KTLA

As many as four people were shot in at attack Saturday at a synagogue in Poway, San Diego County authorities said

A man has been detained for questioning in connection with the shooting at the Chabad of Poway, authorities said.

Deputies from the Poway station were called to Chabad Way just before 11:30 a.m., sheriff’s officials said. The site is about 20 miles north of San Diego.

Those wounded in the shooting were taken to Palomar Medical Center, according to the sheriff’s department. It was not immediately clear how many people were hurt.

Authorities have taped off the area around Chabad and a command post has been set up at Chaparral Elementary School.

Poway Mayor Steve Vaus, who was at the sheriff’s command center, told CNN that that the facility was specifically targeted because it was a place for the Jewish community to gather.

“I understand that this was someone with hate in their hate, hate for the Jewish community,” he said of the shooter.

The mayor, who lives near the site, sought to reassure the community that there was no further threat.

“The scene is safe,” he said. “The subject is custody. We will be in prayer for those injured…There is no ongoing threat to community.”

Several neighbors reported hearing the gunshots, and some were evacuated from nearby homes to the school temporarily as a precaution.

Cantor Caitlin Bromberg of Ner Tamid Synagogue down the street from Chabad of Poway said her congregation learned of the shooting at the end of their Passover services. Saturday marked the eighth and final day of Passover, a holiday that marks the Jewish people’s exodus from Egypt and freedom from slavery.

Bromberg said her congregants were en route to Chabad of Poway to show support and help in any way that they can.

“We are horrified and upset and we want them to know we are thinking of them,” she told The Times. “The message of the final day of Passover is to be looking forward to…the time when all the world will be at peace.”

Bromberg said someone from the congregation had received a text that there was a shooting at a synagogue in Poway. The person who sent the text did not know which temple was targeted and wanted to make sure the congregant was ok.

Bromberg said she has not heard from the leadership of the Chabad of Poway because they would not normally use the phone during the Sabbath.

“They would only do that on emergency basis, if they do it at all,” she said.

The incident comes seven months after a man with a history of posting anti-Semitic and anti-immigrant social media messages opened fire at a temple in Pittsburgh, killing 11 people and wounding six more.

The Anti-Defamation League called the incident “the deadliest attack on the Jewish community in the history of the United States” and it underscored growing hate against Jews.

Article is LOCKED by author/seeder
[]

Kavika
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Kavika     5 years ago

It was just announced that one person has died.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
1.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Kavika @1    5 years ago

I lived only 30 minutes from Poway at one time. It is a very quiet community. One of my Bosses also lived in Poway. I also once considered living in Poway, but, decided to live closer to my Parents at the time due to their age and need for assistance.

This is a very sad happening for a community that normally does not see such things. jrSmiley_5_smiley_image.png

Nona62
Professor Silent
1.2  Nona62  replied to  Kavika @1    5 years ago

A very dear friend is of Jewish faith, and is absolutely devastated by this sickness.  I am appalled that some person (questionable) could be so filled with hate !!

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.2.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Nona62 @1.2    5 years ago
I am appalled that some person (questionable) could be so filled with hate !!

Sadly Nona, there is a lot of it going around. (hate)

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2  Perrie Halpern R.A.    5 years ago

Another day in America.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2    5 years ago
Another day in America.

Sadly that is true....It reminds of me of Los Lobos song, ''One Night in America''.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
2.2  Thrawn 31  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2    5 years ago

Pretty much. Honestly the only reason this made the national news, and the other dozens of shootings that have already occurred haven't, is because it was a Synagogue. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.2.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Thrawn 31 @2.2    5 years ago
Honestly the only reason this made the national news, and the other dozens of shootings that have already occurred haven't, is because it was a Synagogue. 

Except those don't come with a manifesto and this one did. Kind of changes things a bit.

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
2.3  SteevieGee  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2    5 years ago

Another day, another religious extremist.  Isn't religion wonderful?

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
4  Thrawn 31    5 years ago

I am sure he is a very fine person. Unless he is brown or something, then he is a terrorist. 

epistte
Junior Guide
4.1  epistte  replied to  Thrawn 31 @4    5 years ago

Can we rule out Fox News blaming congresswoman Llhan Omar for this attack?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.1.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  epistte @4.1    5 years ago

That would funny if the hate wasn't coming from the extreme right and the extreme left. Great time to be a Jew.

epistte
Junior Guide
4.1.2  epistte  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.1.1    5 years ago

It was not meant to be funny but as satire for Fox News recent attacks on Iihan Omar because she dared to criticize the state of Israel.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  epistte @4.1.2    5 years ago
"...dared to criticize the state of Israel."

"Israel has hypnotized the world, may Allah awaken the people and help them see the evil doings of Israel," (Ilhan Omar)

So her use of antisemitism, criticized even by leading members of her own party for such antisemitic language, is considered okay by you?  That's the tone of your comment, so I would like you to answer the question in order for everyone to be sure where YOU stand.

epistte
Junior Guide
4.1.4  epistte  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1.3    5 years ago
So her use of antisemitism, criticized even by leading members of her own party for such antisemitic language, is considered okay by you?  That's the tone of your comment, so I would like you to answer the question in order for everyone to be sure where YOU stand.

Do you separate the actions of the political state of Israel from the Jewish people  or do you see Israel as a pure Jewish state? 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.5  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  epistte @4.1.4    5 years ago

LOL.  It's known to be a very Jewish thing to answer a question with a question - a great way to deflect or defuse, or to run and hide from having to account for your words. My question was clear, and IMO a refusal to answer it is an answer in itself.

epistte
Junior Guide
4.1.6  epistte  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1.5    5 years ago

As far as I know I am not Jewish. Some genealogy websites suggest that my surname has Ashkenazi roots but that is news to me.

I have always like the Socratic method when you ask questions instead of giving declarative answers.

I see many parallels with what Israel is doing to the Palestinians, Lebanese and others in that area with what the early American settlers did to the native tribes. What Hitler did was unspeakably horrific and must be remembered so it doesn't happen again, but that does not excuse their behavior toward the people who were already living in that area in 1948 and before.  Israel cannot continue to play the Holocaust card as a way to excuse their behavior toward others. Bulldozing homes and taking the land from people living in the West Bank and other areas cannot be tolerated.

All people have the right to exist equally, Jews, Palestinians, Lebanese, Syrians and others.

I am also oppose to the fact that Israel will not sign the NNPT and allow IAEA inspections of Dimona and other nuclear facilities.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.7  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  epistte @4.1.6    5 years ago

LOL.  You STILL didn't answer the question, but you are making your anti-Israel feelings known.

The homes being bulldozed are those of the terrorists who killed innocent Jews. IMO insufficient punishment for the crime, but terrorists should not gain the entitlement and praise that they do.

Israel is entitled to all the land they live upon and more.  Two members of NT have researched the historical and legal rights they have, by tracing through the mandates, conventions, conferences, resolutions, declarations and actualities and have come to that conclusion. Neither of them is Jewish or Israeli, nor are they Evangelist Christians. There isn't a world court or body that isn't so biased against Israel where it can be proven, but here is proof, read it for yourself:

As for Dimona, you may be right, but sometimes rumours are scarier than actualities, and besides, I don't trust the IAEA - in my opinion they are lying about Iran's facilities, and making statements when they have not even inspected the military sites.  Maybe YOU want to believe Iran's "self-inspecting" and if you think you can trust Iran telling the truth, be my guest.

However, YOU STILL HAVE NOT PROVIDED AN ANSWER, so I consider the fact that you won't to be the answer I suspected.

epistte
Junior Guide
4.1.8  epistte  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1.7    5 years ago
As for Dimona, you may be right, but sometimes rumours are scarier than actualities, and besides, I don't trust the IAEA - in my opinion they are lying about Iran's facilities, and making statements when they have not even inspected the military sites.  Maybe YOU want to believe Iran's "self-inspecting" and if you think you can trust Iran telling the truth, be my guest. However, YOU STILL HAVE NOT PROVIDED AN ANSWER, so I consider the fact that you won't to be the answer I suspected.

Iran is not inspecting itself. Those are outside inspectors with the IAEA doing the inspections.

“As of today, I can state that Iran is implementing its nuclear-related commitments,” he said in his introductory statement to the Board. “The JCPOA represents a significant gain for verification. It is essential that Iran continues to fully implement those commitments. If the JCPOA were to fail, it would be a great loss for nuclear verification and for multilateralism.”

Mr Amano said IAEA inspectors had had access to all the sites and locations which they needed to visit. “The Agency continues to verify the non-diversion of nuclear material declared by Iran under its Safeguards Agreement,” he added. “Evaluations regarding the absence of undeclared nuclear material and activities in Iran continue.”

At a news conference later in the day, Mr Amano gave more details of the Agency’s activities in Iran.

“Our inspection work has doubled since 2013. IAEA inspectors now spend 3,000 calendar days per year on the ground in Iran,” he said. “We have installed some 2,000 tamper-proof seals on nuclear material and equipment. We collect and analyse hundreds of thousands of images captured daily by our sophisticated surveillance cameras in Iran — about half of the total number of such images that we collect throughout the world.”

Ender
Professor Principal
4.1.9  Ender  replied to  epistte @4.1.4    5 years ago
Do you separate the actions of the political state of Israel from the Jewish people  or do you see Israel as a pure Jewish state?

Something I never understood.

The US is all for separation of church and state yet want to ionize Israel as a Jewish (complete) religious state.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.10  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  epistte @4.1.8    5 years ago

What a waste of my time that was. 

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
4.1.11  dave-2693993  replied to  Ender @4.1.9    5 years ago
The US is all for separation of church and state yet want to ionize Israel as a Jewish (complete) religious state.

It is a little early this morning and I was up late last night. I am not grasping the point.

Israel is secular.

Ender
Professor Principal
4.1.13  Ender  replied to  dave-2693993 @4.1.11    5 years ago

I was up at an odd time for me.   Haha

I guess my point was that a lot of people do not see the country as secular.

It is always the Jewish state that must be preserved, not necessarily the state of Israel as a secular society.

epistte
Junior Guide
4.1.14  epistte  replied to  Have Opinion Will Travel @4.1.12    5 years ago
No worries MSNBC has already blame Trump.

The guy was a racist alt-right bigot but he didn't seem to be a Trump supporter. Trump should have forcefully condemned the Charlottesville rally instead os saying that there were good people on both sides. 

• Are you a Trump supporter?”
  • You mean that Zionist, Jew-loving, anti-White, traitorous cocksucker? Don’t make me laugh.

epistte
Junior Guide
4.1.15  epistte  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1.10    5 years ago
What a waste of my time that was. 

Did you expect me to not defend my opinion? 

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
4.1.16  dave-2693993  replied to  Ender @4.1.13    5 years ago

Okay, I got it now.

Thanks.

Yes, it is a secular state.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.17  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  epistte @4.1.15    5 years ago

Oh, you've made your opinion perfectly clear. The fact that you refused through all methods of deflection and diffusion to reply to whether or not you agree with Ilhan Omar's antisemitic statement about Israel answered that extremely well.

epistte
Junior Guide
4.1.18  epistte  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1.17    5 years ago
Oh, you've made your opinion perfectly clear. The fact that you refused through all methods of deflection and diffusion to reply to whether or not you agree with Ilhan Omar's antisemitic statement about Israel answered that extremely well.

How much more clear do you want me to be. I have explained my ideas.  All criticism of Israel cannot be stopped via the threat of calling those who do criticize the state of Israel antisemitic.   You somehow think that they are immune from criticism of political policies.  Why should they be given a pass?

I'm not a Muslim so I don't agree with her idea of Allah but Israel is not immune from criticism. Why should American politicians automatically support Israel?  Their allegiance should be to the US and our constitution and not to a foreign country.  This demanded allegiance doesn't apply to the UK, France, Germay, Canada, Mexico, or Japan so why does it apply to Israel? 

In 2012, she tweeted that “Israel has hypnotized the world, may Allah awaken the people and help them see the evil doings of Israel.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.19  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  epistte @4.1.18    5 years ago
"All criticism of Israel cannot be stopped via the threat of calling those who do criticize the state of Israel antisemitic." 

Wow. The same defensive card being played on two Front Page Articles at once.  I can't count how many times in the past couple of months I've had to say this.  Perrie should put it in a big box permanently on the front page so that every member cannot use that bullshit card again.  No, epistte, NOT ALL CRITICISM OF ISRAEL IS ANTISEMITIC.  Did you get that?   What is antisemitic is what the International Holocaust Memorial Alliance has defined as being antisemitic, and that definition has been approved and adopted by most of the civilized countries in the world, including the USA. If all criticism of Israel is antisemitic then since over the years on NV and here I've posted comments that were critical of Israel, its government, its leaders, it's judiciary, its IDF, its settlers and especially its ultra-Orthodox Haradim, then I'm an antisemite and I'm probably the biggest supporter of Israel on this site. Fair criticism, applicable criticism, criticism that doesn't put Israel to a double standard is NOT antisemitic, but if you don't believe that the statement: “Israel has hypnotized the world, may Allah awaken the people and help them see the evil doings of Israel." is evil and antisemitic then you must agree with it and if you do, then you have not only answered my question, but I will not have any further discussion with you, or anything to do with you.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.20  Tessylo  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.1.1    5 years ago

I'm not aware of any hate coming from the left.

I see a lot of hate coming from this 'president' pretty much on a daily basis - towards the left.  It's sickening.  For instance his most recent 'rally'

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
4.1.21  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1.19    5 years ago
If all criticism of Israel is antisemitic then since over the years on NV and here I've posted comments that were critical of Israel, its government, its leaders, it's judiciary, its IDF, its settlers and especially its ultra-Orthodox Haradim, then I'm an antisemite and I'm probably the biggest supporter of Israel on this site.

First, there does seem to be a double standard in who is allowed to be critical of Israel. If you happen to be Jewish and say something critical of Israels treatment of the Palestinians, people often view that as a fair critique. But someone who isn't Jewish making the same comment is often assumed to be anti-Semitic, the assumptions being that any criticism from outsiders must inherently be based on an external hatred of Jews and not a fair criticism of a world governments actions.

Based on your comments in this thread alone you make it clear you have an extremely biased view in favor of Israel regardless of their actions. 

"The homes being bulldozed are those of the terrorists who killed innocent Jews."

Do you really believe that? Or are you just being rhetorical? Do you believe every one of the homes in the areas taken and bulldozed for Israeli expansion were taken from a "terrorist"? If so, then do you simply believe every Palestinian is inherently a terrorist?

“Israel has hypnotized the world, may Allah awaken the people and help them see the evil doings of Israel." is evil and antisemitic"

Do you believe that Israel has never done anything evil? That the Israeli governments actions have all been righteous? If not, then you would have to accept that some might fairly call some of their actions in the past "evil" just like many of the actions of the Palestinians would be considered "evil" such as randomly firing rockets into residential areas. I do believe that the first part of Omar's message was definitely divisive and bordered on anti-Semitic essentially claiming such an old anti-Semite trope of Israel "hypnotizing" the world like some shadowy Jewish cabal controlling things from behind the scene.

"Israel is entitled to all the land they live upon and more."

Come now Buzz, your bias is showing.

"I don't trust the IAEA - in my opinion they are lying about Iran's facilities"

That's fine, that's your opinion and you're welcome to it. But do you consider anyone who does trust the IAEA and believes they have kept a close eye on Iranian nuclear development and that they aren't lying about Iran's facilities, "anti-Semitic"?

In my opinion, there is a sea of rhetoric on both sides that threaten to drown the real issues and facts which are what's required to move forward and actually work towards a lasting peace in the middle east. The facts show both sides have done reprehensible, indefensible things, both sides have killed innocents and the only ones who seem to disagree are those who refuse to believe there are any innocents on the opposing side. If you believe all Palestinians are terrorists or all Jews are some ancient evil occupiers, then there is no hope for reconciliation. But that's exactly what those who hold those views want you to believe. They want anyone who is the least bit critical of them on either side to be thrown immediately in the opponents camp where they can attack and malign them which is exactly what each extremist side wants, partisans taking sides instead of any reasoned voices for compromise standing in the middle. It's likely what this most recent terrorist in Poway was hoping for, to further widen the divide and get his anti-Semitic messages read all over the world and become another racist lightning rod for like-minded bigoted extremists. Let's not let the extremists win. Let's be willing to listen to constructive criticism and ideas that work towards a lasting peace instead of just concluding it impossible because the extremists won't quit stoking the fire of hate.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
8  igknorantzrulz    5 years ago

someone is different from you...

KILL EM

what have we come to ?

people are pawns of various cult like factions, and buy into the extremes, that come in many varying themes.

From Religion to Nazism, it's all about the control of the feeble minded, and they don't,

mind it, cause they r un a where

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
9  JohnRussell    5 years ago
To my brothers in Christ of all races. Be strong. Although the Jew who is inspired by demons and Satan will attempt to corrupt your soul with the sin and perversion he spews—remember that you are secure in Christ.

Jesus was a Jew and was never anything else. 

The Christian religion was created quite a while after Jesus death. 

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
9.1  livefreeordie  replied to  JohnRussell @9    5 years ago

[deleted]

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
9.1.1  dave-2693993  replied to  livefreeordie @9.1    5 years ago

Removed for context

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
9.1.2  livefreeordie  replied to  dave-2693993 @9.1.1    5 years ago

[deleted]

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
9.1.3  dave-2693993  replied to  livefreeordie @9.1.2    5 years ago

Removed for context

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
9.1.4  livefreeordie  replied to  dave-2693993 @9.1.3    5 years ago

[deleted]

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
9.1.5  dave-2693993  replied to  livefreeordie @9.1.4    5 years ago

Removed for context

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
9.1.6  dave-2693993  replied to  livefreeordie @9.1.4    5 years ago

Alright, so I don't know what happened here. I had a pretty good rebuttal for you from the Greek Septuagint...toast now.

It is not easy for me to do the translation from the Greek and it is toast now. A good rebuttal at that. Alright, I am repeating myself.

I just can't do the Hebrew, even though the ex left copies of the Talmud, Torah and complete OT and NT compilations. I just can't do the Hebrew. All we really agreed on during my 2 year contract there were 3 English words. Red, Yellow, Green.

Red = Don't shoot

Yellow = Maybe shoot

Green = Lay down some lead, pour the coals to them

First I did not take your post as proselytizing, then again I am not up on all the technicalities of all the rules. 

(Enoch, please forgive me)

I remember you cited John 1:1-3 an 14? I don't recall the other one cited that I translated. That was the more meaningful one.

John 1:1-3.

In beginning was Word and Word was toward God and god (diminutive) was Word. This was in beginning toward toward God. All through him came to be, and apart from him came to be not but one.

Pretty much as Christians are taught to pray, "through the name of your son Jesus Christ, Amen".

There is a clear delineation of powers and rank here.

I have to re-gear for your other post and I hope no one deletes anything, because this is not easy to do and I am not trying to convert anybody to anything.

Honest.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
9.1.7  dave-2693993  replied to  livefreeordie @9.1.4    5 years ago

John 8:58 - Okay, first off it is not caps I AM. It is diminutive I am, as it reads:

Said to them Jesus Amen amen I am saying to you before Abraham to become I am.

Then of course many got pissed off at him and wanted to kill him so he hid.

The point is, Jesus was not (in caps) I AM of Exodus, and of course he came before Abraham. When in heaven he was with God, hiIf s Father, YHWH (anybody call it what you want). All things were made through him. The use of I am in this diminutive simply acknowledges he was around before Abraham. Nothing more can be extrapolated from those words. It is simple chronology.

8 Philip said to Him, “Lord, show us the Father, and it is sufficient for us.” Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you so long, and yet you have not known Me, Philip? He who has seen Me has seen the Father; so how can you say, ‘Show us the 
Father’? 10 Do you not believe that I am in the Father, and the Father in Me? John 14:7-10

Are you trying to say Jesus was claiming to be the Father in this statement? How? He was certainly his Fathers greatest representative. Like any loyal representative presents that which they represent. How can you or anyone claim that statement means anymore than that?

From the Septuagint:

If you had known me, also the Father of me likely you would have perceived; from right now you are knowing him and you have seen.

Is saying to him Phillip Lord, show to us the Father and it is sufficient to us.

Is saying to him Jesus so much time with you I am and not you have known me, Phillip?

One having seen me has seen Father ; how are you saying show to us Father?

Not that you are believing that I in the Father and the Father in me is? Saying which I am saying to  you from myself not I am speaking; but Father in me remaining is doing the works of him.

Again, that looks like clear delineation, Jesus is doing the will of his Father as if one in purpose. Not one in the same. I just don't see one in the same here.

I have to take a break.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
10  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

I find it a little strange that the source for this article features the photo of a church, rather than that of the temple the story is about.  What's their editorial policy? Any place of worship will do?

This is the temple the article is about:

28911775001_6030678461001_6030679500001-vs.jpg?pubId=28911775001

Kavika
Professor Principal
11  seeder  Kavika     5 years ago

Buzz in the seeded article that was the photo that was shown. The article states it's a elementary school just north of the Synagogue where some of the congregation were taken.

There are numerous photos of the Synagogue and the congregation  in the slide presentation. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
12  seeder  Kavika     5 years ago

I just watched an interview with the Rabbi of the Poway Synagogue. He stated that they had trained and had a plan for an active shooter. It was done after the Synagogue shooting in PA. 

A recent member is a Border Patrol agent and the Rabbi had asked him to come to the services armed, which he did. 

One member tried to tackle the shooter after the his gun jammed and the BP chased him and got off a couple of shots tha hit his car.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
12.1  dave-2693993  replied to  Kavika @12    5 years ago

Good planning and good work.

Thank you Kavika.

evilone
Professor Guide
13  evilone    5 years ago

This mornings report states the man has been charged with first degree homicide and attempted homicide. They have not yet charged him with hate crime.

CB
Professor Principal
14  CB    5 years ago

I have not had time to read through the comments for this article, but I have been watching the coverage and waiting to collect my thoughts:

I extend my condolences over the loss of Lori Kaye's life, and the Rabbi, and others injured persons (including a child). Alas! Can we all now see that gun violence is seeking us (all) out. Living a peaceful life, causing no harm to others, does not matter. We must all speak up now and save ourselves. We are the only ones who can save us! The 'duty' falls to us.

No matter our belief systems, or lack of a beliefs, we are clearly all potentially "in a barrel" when shots are fired.

Peace (Shalom).

Kavika
Professor Principal
15  seeder  Kavika     5 years ago

Thanks to everyone for commenting. 

I'll be closing the article now since it's run it's course.