╌>

BIBLE IS JEWISH DEED TO LAND OF ISRAEL, SETTLEMENTS, ENVOY TELLS UNSC

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  5 years ago  •  23 comments

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

“Even the Romans themselves admitted the land was ours," Danon said.

By Tovah Lazeroff, Jerusalem Post, April 29 2019

U.N. Security Council debates the situation in the Middle East. (photo credit: screenshot)

Israel's Ambassador to the United Nations Danny Danon defended Israel's right to the Land of Israel, including the West Bank settlements when he addressed the United Nations Security Council on Monday afternoon.

Jewish rights to the land of Israel depends on four pillars, Danon said. This includes the bible, history, legality and the pursuit of international peace and security.

God gave the land to the people of Israel in Genesis, when he made a covenant with Abraham said Danon as he read from that passage. 

“This is our deed to our land,” he said.

”From the book of Genesis; to the Jewish exodus from Egypt; to receiving the Torah on Mount Sinai; to the gates of Cana’an; and to the realization of God’s covenant in the Holy Land of Israel; the Bible paints a consistent picture. The entire history of our people, and our connection to Eretz Yisrael, begins right here,” Danon said.

The Bible is accepted by all three monotheistic religious, Danon said, adding that “The Quran itself accepts the divine deed of the Jewish people to the Land of Israel.”

Historically, there was a Jewish kingdom in the land of Israel, with Jerusalem as the capital and where the Jewish Temple was twice built and twice destroyed first by the Babylonians and second by the Romans.

“Even the Romans themselves admitted the land was ours. Those of you who have visited Rome may have seen that Emperor Titus famously commemorated his victory and the Jewish expulsion by building an enormous arch on the Via Sacra in Rome. If you look at the Arch, it includes an illustration of his men carrying away the menorah from the Jewish Temple,” Danon said.

The Romans attempted to destroy that link by renaming the land Palestina.

“This is how the narrow strip of land in Eretz Yisrael, nestled between Egypt in the south and Lebanon in the north, came to be called 'Palestine,'” Danon said. 

After the Romans, the land was conquered by the Crusaders and then the Ottoman Empire. A Jewish community remained in the land over the next 2,000 years, but the bulk of the Jewish people were in exile.

“For two millennia, Jews across the world continued to pray three times every day for our long- awaited return home to Zion and Jerusalem. As we just said on Passover last week, as we do every year, 'Next year in Jerusalem!'" Danon said.

He then turned to the issue of international law, starting with the 1917 British Balfour declaration that set out “a national home for the Jewish people” in the land of Israel after Great Britain had taken over that territory from the Ottoman Empire at the end of World War I.

Danon explained that in presenting the document, British Foreign Secretary Lord Arthur Balfour wrote that the “declaration of sympathy with Jewish Zionist aspirations, which has been submitted to, and approved by, the Cabinet.” 

“In 1922, the mandate of the League of Nations not only stated its support for the establishment of a Jewish national home, it encouraged and facilitated the return of Jews in the diaspora to our homeland. It confirms, and I quote, 'the historical connection of the Jewish people with Palestine and to the grounds for reconstituting their national home in that country,'” Danon said. 

He added that these documents were Zionist documents and showed that Zionism appeared in international law.

Danon also pointed to the 1945 UN charter which speaks of the right of peoples to self-determination and to the rights of member states to defend themselves from armed attacks.

In 1947, the UN partitioned the land into a Jewish state and an Arab state, with the Jews accepting the plan and the Arabs rejecting it and attacking the nascent Jewish state, Danon said.

The 1948 armistice lines that marked the end of the Independence War, “were never considered international borders. They were simply lines designating the end of the first battle in the Arab war against Israel,” Danon said.

“It was the Arabs who insisted that the armistice lines would not be permanent borders,” he added.

“Because these lines are not borders, the Jewish communities in Judea and Samaria, to this day, do not cross any international borders. They are built on strategic land for Israel's security and, as agreed by the parties in the Oslo Accords, would be classified as final status issues,” he concluded.

On the issue of security, he noted that Arab leaders had chosen violence long before settlements were built. The PLO was established in 1964, three years prior to the Six Day War in 1967. 

“What did they need to liberate before 1967? And in 1964, not a single settlement existed in Judea and Samaria, and our right to exist was still rejected,” he said.

“To blame the Jewish communities of Judea and Samaria for the lack of peace between Israelis and Palestinians would be a deliberate oversight of history at best,” he said.

Danon listed the plans the Arabs had rejected starting with the 1937 Peel Commission Report, the 1947 UN Partition Plan, the 1948 Israeli truce offer for truce, the 2000 Camp David Summit, the 2001 Taba Summit, and the 2007 Annapolis Conference.

Israel, he said, is still waiting for a response to 2008 offer of by former Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert. With regard to the US 2014 peace process, Danon blamed the Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas, saying he had chosen Hamas.

The Palestinians, Danon said, have already rejected the anticipated peace plan by US President Donald Trump.

He charged that the UN’s continued support for Palestinians that rejects peace proposals and its attacks against the party offering solutions, weaken the international body.

“It is dangerous to praise the side that encourages hatred and bankrolls terrorism,” Danon said.

“There should be no reward for rejectionism. There should be no prize for aggression,“ he added.

Danon then put forward four pillars on which peace would be based in the future. This includes: Palestinians recognition of Israel as a Jewish state; an end to Palestinians incitement; regional cooperation and acceptance of Israel’s security needs.

“We are ready to work together. We are ready to talk. And we are ready to create a better future for our children. It is only when the four pillars of the past and the four pillars of the future are accepted that peace will come,” Danon said.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

He may as well be Kafka arguing in front of the Star Chamber, trying to establish legal reality in front of an Arab-controlled United Nations 'ultra-biased against Israel' organization.  This is legal reality that is bound to be ignored:

Golda Meir had it right when she said that if the Arabs put down their arms there would be peace, but if Israel put down its arms there would be no more Israel. 

Bob Dylan had it right for what Danon has said - his words are just "Blowin' in the wind".

Enoch
Masters Quiet
2  Enoch    5 years ago

Dear Brother Buzz: Great seed.

Good points all.

E.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Enoch @2    5 years ago

You've been missed.  Guess you've been too busy chaplaining. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.2  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Enoch @2    5 years ago

Well, Enoch, it looks like OUR words are just blowing in the wind as well.  The UN and mainstream media bias against Israel is obviously very effective. 

Ender
Professor Principal
3  Ender    5 years ago

In a way, I would call this anti-semitic, let me explain.

It is saying that Jewish people are the chosen people and have special rights over others.

The country of Israel has many faiths in it. It is not just Jewish.

This is pushing the narrative that only Jewish people can have any say in the land of Israel.

IMO it is talk like this that creates animosity. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1  Tessylo  replied to  Ender @3    5 years ago

[deleted]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

You know, Ender, I've been following a lot of the things you've been saying about Israel and antisemitism, and I think if I were you I would try to learn a little more about those things before posting comments.

"It is saying that Jewish people are the chosen people and have special rights over others."

A quotation from Israel's Declaration of Independence, (of similar importance as the Constitution of the United States, Amendments and Bill of Rights is in the USA):

THE STATE OF ISRAEL ....will ensure complete equality of social and political rights to all its inhabitants irrespective of religion, race or sex; it will guarantee freedom of religion, conscience, language, education and culture; it will safeguard the Holy Places of all religions; and it will be faithful to the principles of the Charter of the United Nations.

You will note that the Declaration of Independence does not give Jews any rights superior to those of other Israeli citizens.  That has NOT been abrogated in any way, notwithstanding the biased opinion of some who think otherwise. The Nation State resolution did NOT make any change to the Declaration of Independence.

"The country of Israel has many faiths in it. It is not just Jewish."

Absolutely, and that is not going to change.  What makes you think it will?

"This is pushing the narrative that only Jewish people can have any say in the land of Israel."

There is NO narrative in the article that indicates that only Jewish people can have any say in the land of Israel.

"Arabs Are Prominent in Israel’s Government

They’re parliamentarians, judges, diplomats, and generals."

Arabs serve on the Supreme Court of Israel, are mayors of Israeli towns, and serve in superior positions in the Israeli Armed forces.  Arabs have the same right to vote as any Israeli, and the Knesset is made up of many political parties, some of them are Arab parties. 

Arab judge appointed vice president of Israel's Supreme Court
ofisrael .com/ arab - judge - appointed -as- vice ...
The Status of Arabs in Israel - Jewish Virtual Library

status-of-arabs-in-israel

"Arabs in  Israel   have  equal voting rights; in fact, it is one of the few places in the Middle East where Arab women may  vote . Arabs currently hold ten seats in the Knesset."

Did you know that a vast majority of Arabs would rather live in Israel than in ANY Arab state, including a State of Palestine?

Israeli Arabs Prefer Living in Israel: Poll - The Israel Project
israel project.org/ israeli - arabs - prefer -living-in...
"Washington, June 8 - Israeli Arabs  by a wide margin would rather  live  in  Israel than  anywhere else, including a future Palestinian  state , a new poll by the University of Haifa has shown. The poll shows a large majority, 68 percent,  prefer Israel , while around 57 percent accept Saturday as the official day of rest and Hebrew as the national language."

Because we're friends I spent a lot of time putting this together for you Ender, and I hate to see you being misled by biased sources as to the realities of Israel. From your comments, it's pretty obvious you've never been there.  I've never been to Alaska either, and because of that I would never post an opinion about what it's like there because I wouldn't want to look like an idiot. I've been to Israel more than once, and Israel has been important to me all my life.  I'm sure that if you were to read the sources I've provided with an open mind, your attitude just might change. 

I hope that others who really don't know the truths about Israel would read through the sources I've provided as well.

Ender
Professor Principal
4.1  Ender  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4    5 years ago

I have never been to Israel. Does that mean I cannot read and see news sources from there?

This article is doing exactly what I said. Basically saying don't dare criticize Israel or the chosen ones.

Bullshit.

Some people have a hard time distinguishing between the state itself and the religion.

I will continue to call out the idiot old men that refuse to sit next to a woman on a plane just like I will Muslim/Christian hating gay people.

It is a religion, which I am beginning to not like more and more with the rabid attack dogs.

Uh oh, I did it now, that is anti-semitism....

The funny thing is all three religions believe in the same god. They just all three think they are the chosen.

I will have none of them and things like this just make me dislike them more.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Ender @4.1    5 years ago
"I will continue to call out the idiot old men that refuse to sit next to a woman on a plane"

As will I, and I will continue to call out those arrogant "holier than thou" ultra-Orthodox Haradim who spit on Priests, who harass young girls walking to school, who have personally insulted me, who call Jews who are not as "devout" as them "goyim" (gentiles), etc.

You don't have to be an anti-Semite to feel that way. 

Please explain what you mean by "rabid attack dogs".  Have you been attacked by one? - seems to me that Jews have to defend themselves a lot more these days.  Have you been reading Mondoweis, or Stormfront - well, now that I think of it, I guess you don't have to go further than the New York Times for the "education" they dish out. 

By the way, I really don't think I was "chosen", and in fact I don't know anyone Jewish who thinks that as well. The expression "The Chosen People" is used as a slur.

The article speaks of what the bible says about the Jewish people, and the article outlines why the Jews are entitled to the Land of Israel. Doesn't seem much different to me than saying that Muslim people are entitled to Saudi Arabia, or French people are entitled to France, or Chinese people are entitled to China, so what's the big deal about the Jews? 

Seems to me either you've ignored what I wrote to you in my prior comment, or you just don't understand it. 

You know Ender, you're starting to come out with a lot of stuff that makes me wonder about you. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.2  Tessylo  replied to  Ender @4.1    5 years ago

[deleted]

luther28
Sophomore Silent
4.1.3  luther28  replied to  Ender @4.1    5 years ago

Nicely stated.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  devangelical @5    5 years ago

I'm unable to open your link, and since I need to moderate the seed I posted I must ask you to post the text. Otherwise I will have no alternative but to declare it off topic. 

In any event you are entitled to your opinion - too bad for you that what you wish for will not happen.

devangelical
Professor Principal
5.1.1  devangelical  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.1    5 years ago

it's a youtube clip from seinfeld. the everybody is an antisemite according to uncle leo bit.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1.2  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  devangelical @5.1.1    5 years ago

Thanks, devangelical.

luther28
Sophomore Silent
6  luther28    5 years ago

Giles Fraser: The Bible is not a legal document - The Church Times

Jan 17, 2007 - The relationship between Christian theology and law is disputed and complex. Jesus railed against the lawyers for not understanding, and Paul ...
As devangelical opined.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  luther28 @6    5 years ago

So forget the bible, the rest of the chain of entitlement is good enough but what difference is it going to make anyway?  There is no world court that would decide something in Israel's favour so actions will have to take the place of words. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

Well, children, it's time for me to turn off the computer and prepare for sleep.  It's now become apparent that I'm going to have to be available to moderate this seed, so I have no choice but to lock it until (my) morning. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
8  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

Notice to all Israel-bashers.  This seed is now open again. Have a field day.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
9  JohnRussell    5 years ago
God gave the land to the people of Israel in Genesis, when he made a covenant with Abraham said Danon as he read from that passage. 

“This is our deed to our land,” he said.

”From the book of Genesis; to the Jewish exodus from Egypt; to receiving the Torah on Mount Sinai; to the gates of Cana’an; and to the realization of God’s covenant in the Holy Land of Israel; the Bible paints a consistent picture. The entire history of our people, and our connection to Eretz Yisrael, begins right here,” Danon said.
The Bible is accepted by all three monotheistic religious, Danon said, adding that “The Quran itself accepts the divine deed of the Jewish people to the Land of Israel.”

From a political perspective, the idea that a religious scripture can confer uncontested ownership of land is absurd. 

I do think Israel should be allowed to make a homeland in the place where they are now, and so they have.  But not because the Bible says so. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
10  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago
"But not because the Bible says so."

I agree, not for that reason alone.  However there is a whole chain of historical facts, mandates, declarations, resolutions, conferences and conventions - all clearly explained in the link I provided above, that provide justification and legal rights.  

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
10.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @10    5 years ago

I think that, because of centuries old anti-semitism , which culminated in an attempt (by Hitler) to exterminate the Jewish people, that Jews needed and need to have their own homeland where they decide how they should proceed and how they should defend themselves. So Israel is justified to exist as an independent autonomous state. What I also think is that the Palestinians should be given land for their own homeland. What is so troubling is that the political right in Israel, which is in power, objects to a homeland for the Palestinians. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
10.1.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell @10.1    5 years ago
"What is so troubling is that the political right in Israel, which is in power, objects to a homeland for the Palestinians."

Not at all, John. Have you not read my postings of The Jordan Option?  There have been rumours that Trump's "Deal of the Century" takes it into consideration, at least to an extent.  After decades of the Palestinian refusals to accept so much that was offered (eventually 95% then 97% of their demands) Israeli concessions (release of terrorist Palestinian prisoners with blood on their hands, lands for peace, building moratoriums) all of which they walked away from, it's time to forget the decades old ideas and do something else, maybe something a little more radical.