For the third time, a federal judge blocks an Israel boycott ban on First Amendment grounds

Via:  atheist  •  3 weeks ago  •  29 comments

For the third time, a federal judge blocks an Israel boycott ban on First Amendment grounds
“This the First Amendment does not allow,” the judge held.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

In a 56-page opinion, Pitman, an Obama appointee, found that the state could not prohibit boycotting the state of Israel as a condition of public employment. His holding is the third by a federal judge since last year to turn back state legislation that aims to use public money to deter anti-Israel activity.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
Find text within the comments Find 

Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו
1  seeder  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו    3 weeks ago

This, of course, was predicted to happen from the start--so clearly was this law a violation of not just one but three elements of the first amendment.  To be clear, this has been the decision of three separate federal judges.  One other case was resolved in another state by that state's amending the legislation to the plaintiff's satisfaction.  These are just blatantly unconstitutional measures designed precisely to restrict three basic freedoms:  ofreligion, of association and of political speech. 

Personally, I'd probably not participate in a BDS movement aimed at either Israel or Palestine but I'd also vigorously oppose the restriction of both.  

Badfish H҉a҉n҉d҉ ҉o҉f҉ ҉D҉o҉o҉m҉
2  Badfish H҉a҉n҉d҉ ҉o҉f҉ ҉D҉o҉o҉m҉    3 weeks ago

This is great news for the Antisemetic BDS humpers.

I'm good with the ruling although I do believe the BDS movement to be a out of the closet antisemitic movement as it was founded by a despicable antisemite.

Don Overton
2.1  Don Overton  replied to  Badfish H҉a҉n҉d҉ ҉o҉f҉ ҉D҉o҉o҉m҉ @2    3 weeks ago

Are you able to name that person?

2.1.1  Badfish H҉a҉n҉d҉ ҉o҉f҉ ҉D҉o҉o҉m҉  replied to  Don Overton @2.1    3 weeks ago

Omar Barghouti

Ender
2.1.2  Ender  replied to  Badfish H҉a҉n҉d҉ ҉o҉f҉ ҉D҉o҉o҉m҉ @2.1.1    3 weeks ago

He was just blocked from entry into the US.

2.1.3  seeder  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Don Overton @2.1    3 weeks ago

[deleted]

2.2  seeder  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Badfish H҉a҉n҉d҉ ҉o҉f҉ ҉D҉o҉o҉m҉ @2    3 weeks ago

This from he who accuses a teen-age holocaust survivor (who happens to be a rich liberal now) as having been a Nazi collaborator.  [deleted]

2.3  seeder  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Badfish H҉a҉n҉d҉ ҉o҉f҉ ҉D҉o҉o҉m҉ @2    3 weeks ago
I do believe the BDS movement to be a out of the closet antisemitic movement as it was founded by a despicable antisemite.

At least you qualified your claims as a belief for once.  And like most belief systems, it's a false one, of course.  But it does reveal for the first time that even you realize you don't have anything to back up any of your claims.  It is pretty funny that you think people who are anti-Nazi would be antisemitic and the person you named is certainly not the founder of Antifa.*   I wonder where you picked that notion up. 

* Mark Bray, author of Antifa: The Anti-Fascist Handbook, credits ARA as the precursor of the modern US antifa groups in the United States and Canada.[30] In the late 1980s and 1990s, ARA activists toured with popular punk rock and skinhead bands in order to prevent Klansmen, neo-Nazis and other assorted white supremacists from recruiting.[24][31][32] Their motto was "We go where they go" by which they meant that they would confront far-right activists in concerts and actively remove their materials from public places.[33] In 2002, the ARA disrupted a speech in Pennsylvania by Matthew F. Hale, the head of the white supremacist group World Church of the Creator, resulting in a fight and twenty-five arrests.[24]

2.3.1  Badfish H҉a҉n҉d҉ ҉o҉f҉ ҉D҉o҉o҉m҉  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @2.3    2 weeks ago
person you named is certainly not the founder of Antifa.* 

I never said it was...lol that is the founder of BDS.

WTF LOL are you feeling ok?

2.3.2  seeder  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Badfish H҉a҉n҉d҉ ҉o҉f҉ ҉D҉o҉o҉m҉ @2.3.1    2 weeks ago
founder of BDS.

Then who is this mythical "despicable antisemite" founder of Antifa?  Another one of your inventions?

2.4  seeder  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Badfish H҉a҉n҉d҉ ҉o҉f҉ ҉D҉o҉o҉m҉ @2    2 weeks ago

Hey, Fish, next time you stop by spout a bit more from the Protocols of the Elders of Zion that you're so fond of using to attack Jews.  

2.4.1  Badfish H҉a҉n҉d҉ ҉o҉f҉ ҉D҉o҉o҉m҉  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @2.4    2 weeks ago

I never have made a reference to any of that. 

You continue to be mistaken.

Nice try, once again and as usual you are wrong.

2.4.2  seeder  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Badfish H҉a҉n҉d҉ ҉o҉f҉ ҉D҉o҉o҉m҉ @2.4.1    2 weeks ago
I never have made a reference to any of that. 

The f**k you haven't.  Let me jog your-ever faulty memory:  falsely accused Soros of collaborating with Nazis when he was the ripe age of 15 yrs and his father put him under the protection of a man who saved his life (Protocols blood libel variation) and accused him as a wealthy (liberal)  financier of being a part of an international cabal for the purposes of a "one-world" economy (almost verbatim Protocols slander).  Another lie that is not directly sourced from Protocols but is exactly the same sort of smear is that his funding of refugee and asylum-seeker aid groups around the world is somehow meant to support illegal immigration into the US.   These are only the smears that I've seen personally but I'm sure I've missed many more. 

2.4.3  Badfish H҉a҉n҉d҉ ҉o҉f҉ ҉D҉o҉o҉m҉  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @2.4.2    2 weeks ago

It's never happened on this forum, you are confused once again. I am not a soros conspiracy person, never have been. 

XDm9mm
2.4.4  XDm9mm  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @2.4.2    2 weeks ago
falsely accused Soros of collaborating with Nazis

Actually, there is no need to "accuse" Soros....  he readily admitted it himself.

In a 1998 interview with CBS’ Steve Kroft, Soros admitted that he participated in the confiscation of Jewish property under the Nazi occupation. He also explained that he had no remorse for what he had done, and that if he had not participated, somebody else would have done it anyway. Source:  https://freedomoutpost.com/interview-george-soros-admits-he-has-no-sense-of-guilt-to-profiting-from-nazi-war-crimes-video/

I would suggest you not only read the article, but watch the video.

Greg Jones
2.4.5  Greg Jones  replied to  XDm9mm @2.4.4    2 weeks ago

And it would be foolish to think he is not largely financing these illegal immigrant caravans and such. He certainly has deep pockets.

2.4.6  seeder  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  XDm9mm @2.4.4    2 weeks ago

[deleted]

2.4.7  seeder  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Badfish H҉a҉n҉d҉ ҉o҉f҉ ҉D҉o҉o҉m҉ @2.4.3    2 weeks ago
I am not a soros conspiracy person, never have been. 

The f**k you aren't.  You just admitted you've aimed antisemitic slurs at him on another forum......you just can't keep track of all the times you've done it and where.  

XDm9mm
2.4.8  XDm9mm  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @2.4.6    2 weeks ago
At least you fess up while Fish keeps pretending otherwise.

Obviously, you can't quite grasp the truth of the CBS video of Soros himself.

Are you that afraid of the truth?

Oh and what the fuck are the "Protocols"?    Some shithead web site you frequent?

XDm9mm
2.4.9  XDm9mm  replied to  Greg Jones @2.4.5    2 weeks ago
And it would be foolish to think he is not largely financing these illegal immigrant caravans and such. He certainly has deep pockets.

There was a reporter that was purportedly traveling with the 'caravans' that got the names of some of the groups funding them.  Several were in fact organizations that were in fact Soros funded.  Of course, the man is not stupid by any stretch of the imagination and he makes sure almost all of his actions are at arms length from them and/or funded by other organizations he has fronting for him.

2.4.10  seeder  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  XDm9mm @2.4.4    2 weeks ago

You apparently didn't follow your own advice, or at least not to completion, or decided to ignore the fact that Soros, as a 14 or 15 y.o. did not plan or actually participate in the confiscation but was just there.  His father knew who his guardian was and hoped that would be a way for him to survive.  And let's just get this out in the open right now:  Not you, nor I, nor anyone who isn't Jewish or didn't have close relatives who perished or managed to survive by the skin of their teeth has the right to judge someone like Soros.  And we know why  rightwingers have singled him out for the Protocol-style antisemitic slurs:  he's a rich liberal who funds causes you hate.  Rightwing Jews do it because he does not support the extreme, exclusionary policies of rightwing Israeli governments.  Here's some reading for you (not that it will be read by you):

How George Soros became the target of both anti-Semites and right-wing Jews

The lede:  

The Hungarian-American business-magnate is famously a funder of liberal causes; he’s also become a Jewish bogeyman in the same toxic way the Rothschilds were.

2.4.11  seeder  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  XDm9mm @2.4.8    2 weeks ago

[deleted]

2.4.12  seeder  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Greg Jones @2.4.5    2 weeks ago

But it would be a lie, of course.  Nice attempt to smear him without actually coming right out and lying about it directly.  Nice but  failed.  You're as transparent as glass.

XDm9mm
2.4.13  XDm9mm  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @2.4.11    2 weeks ago
Removed for context

[deleted]

Oh, until you mentioned it, I had never heard of the "Protocols" and really don't give a shit what they are or are not.

removed for context

2.4.14  seeder  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  XDm9mm @2.4.13    2 weeks ago
Oh, until you mentioned it, I had never heard of the "Protocols" and really don't give a shit what they are or are not.

Doesn't matter.  Antisemites usually don't know the history of the slurs they use.  They've been repeated over the centuries and become ingrained.  Your ignorance about their sources doesn't get you off the hook.

XDm9mm
2.4.15  XDm9mm  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @2.4.14    2 weeks ago
Doesn't matter.  Antisemites usually don't know the history of the slurs they use.  They've been repeated over the centuries and become ingrained.  Your ignorance about their sources doesn't get you off the hook.

Now, now.  First, HOW FUCKING DARE YOU CALL ME an Antisemite.

Further, I will submit that the ABJECT ARROGANT IGNORANCE is quite evidently displayed by none other than YOU.  Your'e too ignorant to even read or believe the words of George Soros himself.

2.4.16  seeder  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  XDm9mm @2.4.15    2 weeks ago
HOW FUCKING DARE YOU CALL ME an Antisemite.

Now, now....watch that high dudgeon.  It's what's called a "tell" in gambling circles.  And being on the side that loves to slap that label on any Dem or liberal who criticizes Israeli government behavior (including even Jews) you really don't have standing to object. 

2.4.18  seeder  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  XDm9mm @2.4.15    one week ago
HOW FUCKING DARE YOU CALL ME an Antisemite.

I don't have to.   You DIY.  

2.5  seeder  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Badfish H҉a҉n҉d҉ ҉o҉f҉ ҉D҉o҉o҉m҉ @2    2 weeks ago
BDS movement to be a out of the closet antisemitic

As opposed to the out-in-the-open approach you use?