╌>

The sanctification of Donald Trump

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  5 years ago  •  16 comments

Trump’s campaign manager says the president was sent by God to save the country. The White House press secretary thinks God wanted Trump to be president. And the secretary of State believes it’s possible that Trump is on a holy mission to protect the Jewish people from the threat of Iran.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

‘Only God could deliver such a savior to our nation,’ campaign manager Brad Parscale says, echoing recent comments from other top aides.

For his closest advisers, President Donald Trump is a godsend — literally.

Trump’s campaign manager says the president was sent by God to save the country. The White House press secretary thinks God wanted Trump to be president. And the secretary of State believes it’s possible that Trump is on a holy mission to protect the Jewish people from the threat of Iran.

Forget the allegations of extramarital affairs, the nonstop Twitter insults and the efforts to close the southern border to migrants. Trump’s allies insist that his presidency is divinely inspired.

“There has never been and probably never will be a movement like this again,” Brad Parscale, the president’s campaign manager, wrote Tuesday morning on Twitter. “Only God could deliver such a savior to our nation, and only God could allow me to help. God bless America!”

Parscale’s tweet, the latest example of a Trump adviser casting the president as a savior, comes as the White House is preparing to host religious leaders on Wednesday and Thursday for the National Day of Prayer, an annual event in which people of all faiths are encouraged to pray for the nation.

The president, who doesn’t regularly attend church services, has emerged as an unlikely ally of the evangelical right, building close relationships with influential conservative religious figures. The White House screened an anti-abortion movie earlier this month, part of a broader strategy to energize evangelical voters ahead of the 2020 elections by amplifying false claims about late-term abortions.

But for observers of American history and advocates for the separation of church and state, the assertions that Trump’s presidency is endorsed by God are alarming.

“Christians should beware of a political use of the word 'savior ,' which goes to the very heart of our faith. This particular statement is a gross expression of Christian nationalism, which I define as equating Christian and American identities,” said Amanda Tyler, executive director of the Washington-based Baptist Joint Committee for Religious Liberty. “People of faith know that God is much larger than any one candidate, party, election or country.”

Timothy Naftali, a presidential historian, said, “What these political lieutenants are saying to the faithful is that, 'You have no choice; God has told you how you must vote.'

“Republican administrations historically have talked about individual rights, the autonomy of the individual, preventing government from dictating political choice," he said. "By bringing the sacred into politics, they are actually imposing a view onto his followers and depriving them of a freedom of choice.”

And even some of Trump’s most vocal evangelical backers have some qualms with the notion that God wanted him to win the presidency.

“If you give God credit for a good president, then you’ve got to blame God when you have a bad one. So I don’t think that’s the way to look at it,” Jerry Falwell Jr. told POLITICO, adding later: “I don’t think you can say that God gives us good leaders. What do you do when you get a bad one, say, 'God messed up'? That’s silly.”

Falwell, the president of Liberty University, has long maintained that he and other evangelicals support Trump because they agree with his policies, often seeming to dismiss allegations of marital infidelity and mistreating women. “I don’t think he needs to come forward. I think everyone knows his past,” Falwell told CNN last year when asked about allegations of past affairs.

“God called King David a man after God’s own heart even though he was an adulterer and a murderer,” Falwell said in 2016 after endorsing Trump. “You have to choose the leader that would make the best king or president and not necessarily someone who would be a good pastor.”

Falwell said he would be attend a National Day of Prayer dinner at the White House on Wednesday with the president and first lady Melania Trump.

Parscale, who did not respond to a text seeking comment, isn’t the first Trump ally to make the case that Trump is carrying out God’s will.

“I think God calls all of us to fill different roles at different times, and I think that he wanted Donald Trump to become president,” Sarah Huckabee Sanders, the White House press secretary, said in an interview with Christian Broadcasting Network News earlier this year. Sanders did not comment for this story.

And Secretary of State Mike Pompeo suggested in March that Trump might have been sent to protect the Jewish people from Iran.

“Could it be that President Trump right now has been sort of raised for such a time as this, just like Queen Esther, to help save the Jewish people from the Iranian menace?” a reporter for the Christian Broadcasting Network asked Pompeo during a visit to Israel.

“As a Christian, I certainly believe that’s possible,” Pompeo replied.

Sanders was raised Southern Baptist, and Pompeo, according to a Washington Post article last year, often attends Eastminster Presbyterian Church in Kansas, which is affiliated with the conservative Evangelical Presbyterian Church.

Trump’s allies might have some backing from many Republicans. A Fox News poll released earlier this year found that 45 percent of Republicans believe God wanted Trump to be president. That figure is even higher among evangelicals.

Campaign advisers think evangelicals will be crucial to Trump’s reelection chances. And the president’s defenders argue that his opponents dismiss them at their peril.

“Liberals may have gotten a few chuckles out of Sanders’ remark, but they don’t seem to realize that the joke is actually on them,” Paula White, a pastor who leads Trump’s evangelical advisory board, wrote after the press secretary came under fire for her comments.

“No matter how much they try to deride religion in the news and popular culture, the vast majority of Americans are believers,” she added. “Furthermore, when you consider everything that President Trump has done for people of faith since taking office, it’s easy to see why so many of them agree with Sanders that Donald Trump is doing God’s work.”

?url=https%3A%2F%2Fstatic.politico.com%2

“Only God could deliver such a savior to our nation and only God could allow me to help. God bless America!” tweeted Brad Parscale, President Donald Trump's campaign manager.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    5 years ago
?url=https%3A%2F%2Fstatic.politico.com%2F4a%2Fa6%2Fbf4fe21348ea8d65ebfd1d922773%2F19430-brad-parscale-gty-773.jpg

“Only God could deliver such a savior to our nation and only God could allow me to help. God bless America!” tweeted Brad Parscale, President Donald Trump's campaign manager.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  seeder  JohnRussell    5 years ago

Although I wouldnt rule out the probability that all these Trump insiders actually believe the nutty theory that God approves of Donald Trump, I'm thinking that all this "God wants Trump" business is a blatant attempt to influence the votes of the feeble minded among the evangelical political base. 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3  Split Personality    5 years ago

A mutual friend sent this to me for you.

I hope you don't mind this being posted here.

These are Fox News comments about Obama over the years, that are just so very ironic now.

How quickly they forget.

If that is blocked by a firewall or virusware the full version with a Trump intro  is here

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1  Tessylo  replied to  Split Personality @3    5 years ago

It's like they're speaking directly to this turd of a 'president'

Kavika
Professor Principal
4  Kavika     5 years ago
‘Only God could deliver such a savior to our nation,’

If that's true it proves that God is not infallible. 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
4.1  Split Personality  replied to  Kavika @4    5 years ago

Further proof of the scam.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5  Trout Giggles    5 years ago

Donald Trump is not anti-choice. He only rails against it now because it's what his evangelical base wants to hear. So the more he needs their support the more lies he will tell about abortion

luther28
Sophomore Silent
6  luther28    5 years ago

That would have to be the Greek God Chaos one would imagine. Allah I would imagine does not care for Mr. Trump, Buddha is too nice and would not send us such a scourge. Shiva the Destroyer is a possibility I suppose but kind of an outlier.

If indeed God existed, I seriously doubt he would immerse himself into Mr. Trumps brand of insanity as I am sure God has other things to amuse himself (or herself if one prefers).

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  luther28 @6    5 years ago

Since I started watching "American Gods" I think Odin is a good possibility as the God who sent trmp. 

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
6.2  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  luther28 @6    5 years ago

In Greek mythology, Donald Trump would be a Satyr.

In Greek mythology, a satyr (Greek: σάτυρος sátyros , pronounced  [sátyros] ), also known as a silenos (Greek: σειληνός seilēnós ), is a male nature spirit with ears and a tail resembling those of a horse, as well as a permanent, exaggerated erection. Early artistic representations sometimes include horse-like legs, but, by the sixth century BC, they were more often represented with human legs. Comically hideous, they have mane-like hair, bestial faces, and snub noses and are always shown naked. Satyrs were characterized by their ribaldry and were known as lovers of wine, music, dancing, and women. They were companions of the god Dionysus and were believed to inhabit remote locales, such as woodlands, mountains, and pastures. They often attempted to seduce or rape nymphs and mortal women alike, usually with little success.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
7  XXJefferson51    5 years ago

I’m all for it.  Trump is our President and It was God’s will that he hold the job now.  Trump is creating the window needed with his press for religious liberty globally to get the word spread to all the world so that in the relatively near future after he leaves office, the final events can happen here and abroad.  

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
7.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  XXJefferson51 @7    5 years ago
the final events can happen here and abroad.  

you mean the End Times trash?

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
8  Paula Bartholomew    5 years ago

God must have some pretty low standards to think that a draft dodging, adulterous, lying, narcissistic, racist, and an under educated fool to save this country.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
8.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @8    5 years ago

Agreed. If Trump is the one who was 'chosen by God' to be the savior of our country, I am glad that their "God" is not the one I worship. The Creator has more class, intelligence, morality, and a higher bar, than to pick someone as totally low and immoral as Trump to be our 'savior.'

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
8.1.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Raven Wing @8.1    5 years ago

He continually violates at least 3 commandments.  Why would anyone think that he is God's choice considering his track record.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
8.1.2  Raven Wing  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @8.1.1    5 years ago
Why would anyone think that he is God's choice considering his track record.

Ignorance is bliss, as the saying goes. Unfortunately, there still is no cure for stupid, so a portion of our society, which seems to grow by the day, continues to suffer from a disease that so seriously affects our nation and the majority of its people.