╌>

Measles scare: Packed theatre possibly exposed, cruise ship quarantined in Caribbean

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  5 years ago  •  49 comments

Measles scare: Packed theatre possibly exposed, cruise ship quarantined in Caribbean
As theatregoers packed an Orange County, California theatre, the health department confirms a measles victim may have spread the contagious virus. Meanwhile, a cruise ship off Saint Lucia was ordered to remain docked and quarantined after one confirmed case of measles. People are searching for proof of vaccination.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    5 years ago

Thank goodness that this disease doesn't turn you into some sort of monster... It only kills. (do I need the sarc tag?)

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    5 years ago

No, you don't. Most intelligent people know what measles can do.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.1  Gordy327  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1    5 years ago

But there are many dumb people who fear vaccines more than the disease and they dont care or don't realize  if their stupidity harms others.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
1.2  katrix  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    5 years ago

The ship is a Scientologist ship - I'm pretty sure those people are not vaccinated.  They're anti-drug and anti-science.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.2.1  Gordy327  replied to  katrix @1.2    5 years ago

I thought ithat was christian scientists who abhorred medicine and science?  I wasn't aware that also applied to Scientologists, outside of psychology. 

Enoch
Masters Quiet
2  Enoch    5 years ago

Heard this is one of the most infectious of diseases.

Unclear what is unclear abut the value of getting vaccinated.

E. 

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
2.1  Jasper2529  replied to  Enoch @2    5 years ago
Heard this is one of the most infectious of diseases.

Correct. It only takes one infected person's sneeze to transmit and infect others. 

Measles was eradicated in the US in 2000. But, there's still a lot of anti-vaxxer misinformation spread on the Internet. 

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
2.2  Sunshine  replied to  Enoch @2    5 years ago

Parents where scared into thinking that there child would become autistic if vaccinated.  Pushed by a few of the Hollywood crazies.  The propaganda was compelling and many where convinced. 

So, now we have a public health problem because of it.  I wished more had been done to combat the loud mouth idiots in Hollywood.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
2.2.1  katrix  replied to  Sunshine @2.2    5 years ago

And Trump spread the same lies ... his loud mouth holds more weight than actors for many people.

luther28
Sophomore Silent
2.2.2  luther28  replied to  Sunshine @2.2    5 years ago

movement

Web results

The anti-vaccination movement - Measles & Rubella Initiative

The anti - vaccination movement has a long history, beginning in France in 1763 and continuing through to today. As with all hot-button issues, it's important to ...
It began long before Hollywood's existence. Folks have been rather dim witted about this subject for some time, I could understand the skepticism 200 years ago, but it has been proven both safe and effective for some time now.
Perhaps a stint in quarantine will allow them to see the light.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  katrix @2.2.1    5 years ago

here's a link to some of his tweets regarding vaccinations:

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  luther28 @2.2.2    5 years ago

The only "Hollywood" person I know who was pushing the anti-vax agenda was Jenny McCarthy who got her disinformation from some study she read (didn't realize she could read) from some quack who published a non-peer review study linking vaccines to autism. He was later proven to be completely wrong

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
2.2.5  Sunshine  replied to  katrix @2.2.1    5 years ago
And Trump spread the same lies ..

I don't recall Trump going on a feverish campaign against vaccinations like the Hollywood idiots did going back many years.  He admitted he was wrong to repeat the nonsense and is now encouraging vaccinations.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
2.2.6  katrix  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.2.3    5 years ago

Unfortunately, Wakefield is now in the US peddling his lies, after being totally discredited and removed from the medical register in the U.K.  Trump met with Wakefield ... and then Trump vocalized his fraudulent bullshit to the American public, claiming that he had personally seen how vaccines cause autism. 

Wakefield even talked Trump into considering hiring another vaccine skeptic to head up a commission on vaccine safety.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.7  Trout Giggles  replied to  katrix @2.2.6    5 years ago

Wakefield should be deported. We don't need that crap here

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
2.2.8  Sunshine  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.2.4    5 years ago

It is when the big names get thrown around is when other people become influenced by what they are saying. Some of Hollywood's biggest names have spoken out against vaccination and the purported harm that they believe that they cause. Here are some of the biggest names who are staunchly anti-vaccination.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.9  Trout Giggles  replied to  Sunshine @2.2.8    5 years ago

Who's dumb enough to listen to a bunch of non-educated, ignorant Hollywood types?

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
2.2.10  Sunshine  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.2.9    5 years ago
Who's dumb enough to listen to a bunch of non-educated, ignorant Hollywood types?

Good question....

Today, stars use their platforms to question the safety of vaccines, for childhood diseases like measles and for seasonal maladies like the flu. In 2007, the MTV star Jenny McCarthy appeared on “Oprah” to say her “mommy instinct” told her that the measles-mumps-rubella vaccine had caused her son’s autism.

Other celebrities who have come out against vaccinations include Charlie Sheen, Alicia Silverstone, and Rob Schneider. Robert De Niro, who has a son on the autism spectrum, has also questioned the safety of vaccines.

In his book “The Panic Virus,” science journalist Seth Mnookin estimates that with “Oprah” and McCarthy’s later appearances on “Larry King Live” and “Good Morning America,” her message reached 15 million to 20 million viewers.

Numerous studies over the last 20 years have proven that there is no link between vaccines and autism. So why do people believe celebrity vaccine skeptics who insist otherwise?
“Particularly in America, celebrities represent our version of royalty,” Remi Alli, a Michigan lawyer who works with celebrities at the Elite Exclusivity public relations firm, said in an email. “It may seem illogical, but status often supersedes information in our Instagram-filled world. Academia seems boring, laborious and subject to change, but glam is a stable awe."

Tim Derdenger, an associate professor of marketing and strategy at Carnegie Mellon University’s Tepper School of Business, calls this the “golden halo effect,” in which a performer or athlete admired for her skill is somehow seen as more trustworthy in unrelated areas.

This can lead to irrational decisions, said Dr. Peter Alperin, an internist at the Veterans Affairs hospital in San Francisco and a vice president at Doximity, a social network for health care professionals. Trust the right professional for the job, he advised: “I wouldn’t go to my accountant for medical advice, and I wouldn’t go to my doctor to do my taxes.”

Dr. Peter Hotez, a pediatrician, vaccine developer and dean of the National School of Tropical Medicine at Baylor University in Houston, said he is frustrated by the failure of public health agencies to strongly counter phony medical theories. Hotez said he wrote his book “Vaccines Did Not Cause Rachel’s Autism,” about his daughter, in part to provide a counterweight to the more than 400 anti-vaccine websites on the internet.

He blames the media, too, for framing the topic as the “vaccine debate” or “vaccine controversy.” “There is no debate, there is no controversy,” he said.

Ultimately, celebrities who spread false ideas are “playing with fire,” said the NYU bioethicist Arthur Caplan.
"We don’t ignore stories about people who mail pipe bombs,” he said. “Why are we ignoring stories about people who transmit public health bombs?”

katrix
Sophomore Participates
2.2.11  katrix  replied to  Sunshine @2.2.5    5 years ago
He admitted he was wrong to repeat the nonsense

He never admitted he was wrong.  He never recanted the more than 20 anti-vax tweets he's made, or all the times he was recorded saying to the American people that vaccines cause autism.  His crazy lies probably contributed to the current outbreak.  Of course, only an idiot would take advice from a reality TV star, right?

and is now encouraging vaccinations

He did make one comment recently telling people to get measles vaccinations, but not until lots of people had gotten sick.  He needs to go a lot further and recant all the lies he told about vaccines and autism, though - but he will never admit he was wrong about anything, so that won't happen. 

Funny how you give him a pass since he's a Republican while complaining about the crazy loud mouth Hollywood types who are liberals.  Hypocrisy at its finest. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.12  Trout Giggles  replied to  Sunshine @2.2.10    5 years ago

Obviously I never listened to them and I'm just a stupid liberal, right?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.13  Trout Giggles  replied to  katrix @2.2.11    5 years ago
Funny how you give him a pass since he's a Republican while complaining about the crazy loud mouth Hollywood types who are liberals.  Hypocrisy at its finest. 

Indeed

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
2.2.14  Sunshine  replied to  katrix @2.2.11    5 years ago

Like I said, I don't recall Trump going on a media hype campaign for years against vaccinations as the Hollywood idiots did.  And I doubt Trump had the same effect as celebs do. 

If you want to blame him, I really don't care.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.15  Trout Giggles  replied to  Sunshine @2.2.14    5 years ago

You care or you wouldn't repeat the same thing over and over ad nauseum

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.2.16  Tessylo  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.2.4    5 years ago

Yup, she's the only 'Hollywood' person I've heard also spouting that nonsense.  

Such a dumb bitch.  

katrix
Sophomore Participates
2.2.17  katrix  replied to  Sunshine @2.2.14    5 years ago
And I doubt Trump had the same effect as celebs do. 

Really, you think the President of the United States doesn't have the same effect as a former Playmate?   When he made those claims during a Presidential debate????  And he pushed the lie for YEARS before that.  You don't recall it because you refuse to believe anything bad about him.

And you don't realize that Trump was nothing but a Hollywood celeb himself? 

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
2.2.18  Sunshine  replied to  katrix @2.2.17    5 years ago
Really, you think the President of the United States doesn't have the same effect as a former Playmate?  

Well, I don't have TDS, and blame everything on Trump.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.19  Trout Giggles  replied to  Sunshine @2.2.18    5 years ago

hmmmmm......

Maybe just a smidge of TDS would do you some good....ya know....like a vaccine

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
2.2.20  Jasper2529  replied to  Sunshine @2.2    5 years ago
Pushed by a few of the Hollywood crazies.

There are quite a few ... among them Bill Maher, Jim Carrey, Charlie Sheen, Alicia Silverstone. 

I've also noticed that the MSM and Hollywood media tried to put Donald Trump in the same category.  In 2013, Donald Trump expressed a concern, but what the MSM and Hollywood media omitted and still omits is that he referred to giving babies and toddlers too many vaccines within a short period of time. He never said that he was anti-vaccines.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
2.2.21  sandy-2021492  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.2.4    5 years ago

Jim Carrey, who was dating her at the time, also jumped on the anti-vax bimbo bandwagon, I believe.

I'm not sure that Jenny McCarthy's son was actually definitively diagnosed with autism.  I've read that there is some doubt about that. 

And tattoo artist Kat von D recanted on a statement about not wanting to inject her kids with vaccines.  Ink is ok, vaccines not, apparently.  She backpedaled after some public derision.

luther28
Sophomore Silent
2.2.22  luther28  replied to  Sunshine @2.2.10    5 years ago
Ultimately, celebrities who spread false ideas are “playing with fire

And they are sometimes elected to public office. Even folks who are only celebrities in their own mind.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
2.2.23  katrix  replied to  Sunshine @2.2.18    5 years ago
Well, I don't have TDS, and blame everything on Trump.

No, you have LDS, and just blame everything on liberals. 

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
2.2.24  Sunshine  replied to  katrix @2.2.23    5 years ago
No, you have LDS, and just blame everything on liberals. 

If you would like to dispute something I have said with facts, please feel free.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.2.25  Gordy327  replied to  Sunshine @2.2.14    5 years ago

Anyone who is on the anti vaccine campaign or shares that position also shares some of the blame.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
2.2.26  Sunshine  replied to  Gordy327 @2.2.25    5 years ago
Anyone who is on the anti vaccine campaign or shares that position also shares some of the blame.

Did someone say different?

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.2.27  Gordy327  replied to  Sunshine @2.2.26    5 years ago

I was actually agreeing with you, then expanding on the sentiment.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
2.2.28  Thrawn 31  replied to  Sunshine @2.2    5 years ago
I wished more had been done to combat the loud mouth idiots in Hollywood.

Throw that fucking idiot Trump into that statement, he has pushed anti-vaxx bullshit (publicly) on several occasions. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3  Sparty On    5 years ago

People who listen to other people without informing themselves are the problem.    Not Jenny McCarthy, Trump or Skeetz MacGrewder for that matter.

Why would anyone put the heath of their child in anyone else’s hands but their own and their Doctors?

Sheer stupidity is the only reason I can come up with.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
3.1  katrix  replied to  Sparty On @3    5 years ago

That goes for any conspiracy theorists, really. When people want to believe something, they'll believe a non-expert who is saying what they already think, rather than an expert who's telling them what they don't want to hear.

And unfortunately too many people don't understand causation and correlation.  I still know people who claim the flu shot gave them the flu.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  katrix @3.1    5 years ago

I think the so-called rise of autism is really due to better diagnoses. Did people really know what autism was 30-40 years ago?

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.1.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.1    5 years ago

That, and it's also linked to children being born to older parents, especially older fathers.  For various reasons, couples are putting off childbearing more commonly than they used to do.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
3.2  Freefaller  replied to  Sparty On @3    5 years ago
Why would anyone put the heath of their child in anyone else’s hands but their own and their Doctors?

Because celebrities/politicians are wealthier, more famous and thus know more than myself and my doctor.  Duhh (sarc)

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
4  Jasper2529    5 years ago

Incoming --------->> More measles?

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4.1  Gordy327  replied to  Jasper2529 @4    5 years ago

I'm beginning to think we should quarantine anti-vaccers along with those with measles. Anti-vaccer stupidity seems to be contagious. 

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
4.1.1  Jasper2529  replied to  Gordy327 @4.1    5 years ago

I don't know what to think about this anymore, Gordy. For a disease that was eradicated in the US in 2000, we've seen it slowly creep back in ... with several spikes over the years. 

The unvaccinated live not only in North America (Canada, US, Mexico) but also in Africa, Central and South America, Europe, and Asia.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4.1.2  Gordy327  replied to  Jasper2529 @4.1.1    5 years ago

It's creeping back in the US largely because of the anti-vaccer mentality and stupidity. I just don't get it.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
4.1.3  Jasper2529  replied to  Gordy327 @4.1.2    5 years ago

Those of us who were vaccinated years/decades ago need to have antibody titers done. It's a simple blood test to see if we're still immune.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4.1.4  Gordy327  replied to  Jasper2529 @4.1.3    5 years ago

Indeed. And booster shot are easy to obtain if needed.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
4.1.5  Thrawn 31  replied to  Gordy327 @4.1.2    5 years ago
I'm beginning to think we should quarantine anti-vaccers along with those with measles.

I have been saying that for awhile. Let them live in their own disease infested rat holes, but they should not be allowed to endanger the rest of society because they are idiots. As I have said previously, I wonder how quickly they would change their tune if Smallpox managed to find its way into one of their retard dens? 

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
5  Thrawn 31    5 years ago

My initial reaction was "that sucks", until I found out this is the scientology cruise ship. After that all I can do is laugh.