╌>

Nazis in New York City: 80 Years Ago Pro-Hitler Americans Staged a Rally at Madison Square Garden February 19, 2019Dave Brooks1

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  tessylo  •  5 years ago  •  39 comments

Nazis in New York City: 80 Years Ago Pro-Hitler Americans Staged a Rally at Madison Square Garden February 19, 2019Dave Brooks1

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Amplify originally ran this article in 2016 and is reprinting the story on the eve of the 80-year anniversary of the American Bund Party rally at Madison Square Garden. 

“I do not fight fascists because I will win. I fight fascists because they are fascists.”

-Chris Hedges, Wages of Rebellion: The Moral Imperative of Revolt

On February 20, 1939, the eve of World War II, American Nazis and fascist sympathizers staged a huge rally at Madison Square Garden in support of Adolf Hitler. The building was covered in symbols of the Third Reich and the stage was adorned with a giant picture of George Washington, “the original American Nazi” according to organizers.

The rally was for the German-American Bund party, established by the viciously racist German-born American Fritz Julius Kuhn. The Bund Party was to be Hitler’s “Fifth Column” and encourage U.S. politicians not to intervene with the war in Europe. Officials with MSG later said they had instructed organizers not to cover the arena in Swastikas, but apparently the Nazis didn’t get the memo. A banner was hung from the rafters that read “Stop Jewish Domination of Christians.”

Kuhn was a former German WWI veteran who came to America and brought with him a strong hatred of Jews. Kuhn settled in Detroit and worked at a hospital owned by legendary industrialist Henry Ford. The hospital Kuhn worked for, the Henry Ford Hospital, had a policy against hiring Jewish doctors. Eventually Kuhn joined the Friends of New Germany, an American pro-Hitler organization with direct ties to the Nazi party.

The group came under instant scrutiny and congressional hearings threatened to expose the group’s links to the Third Reich, so the Nazi party in Berlin ordered it to shut down. Seizing an opportunity from the power vacuum, Kuhn created the American Bund party and appointed himself Bund Führer.

8b3ea29b-9c50-4d03-9395-7f6eff1b9366.jpg

Fritz Julius Kuhn

The group began to stage pro-Hitler rallies around the United States, culminating in the massive 22,000 person rally at Madison Square Garden, under police guard while demonstrators protested outside. The arena was covered with swatiskas, anti-semetic slogans and a huge poster of the country’s first president.

“There is a reason Washington is up there and not Jefferson or Madison,” explained one scholar on a popular history site. “Fascism was an ideology that emphasized action and heroism over intellectualism and philosophy. This is why Hitler’s ideal Aryan concept was a strong, handsome, and physically fit person rather than someone with a mind for civics. Men of action were the ideal example figures.”

Many in attendance were teenagers who had been trained at Hitler Youth-style camps run by the Bunds on the East Coast. Hundreds of mock-uniformed “storm troopers” paraded to the stage, mimicking the Blitzkrieg-style battalions that would invade Poland months later. Kuhn opened the ceremony with a Heil Hitler salute and gave what has been described as “typical Nazi stump speech” by historians.

His speech was briefly interrupted by a young Jewish-American plumber, who sprung from the audience and ran at Kuhn to attack him, only to be be tackled and beaten by Kuhn’s bodyguards and eventually kicked out by police officers. There is evidence that the protester had links to famed Jewish gangster Meyer Lansky. O utraged by news of the Nazi atrocities, the C hicago Outfit gangster collaborated with other Jewish gangsters like Bugsy Siegel and Murder, Inc.’s Louis “Lepke” Buchalter to break up Bund party rallies with guns, knives and violence. 

Meanwhile, outside of   Madison Square Garden, throngs of anti-Nazi protesters that included WWI Veterans and weapon-wielding members of Lansky’s gang waited out front, preparing to attack the American Nazis as they left the rally. According to one article, a huge police response of mounted officers  “large enough to prevent a revolution,” converged on the arena and prevented what many thought could have been a bloody riot. 

After WWII broke out,  President Franklin Delano Roosevelt ordered FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover to launch an investigation of the German-American Bund party. Virginia Cogswell, one of Kuhn’s mistresses, agreed to work with the FBI and began to secretly record her conversations with the Bund Führer. The FBI uncovered that Kuhn was stealing from the German-American Bund Party and he was arrested and sentenced to two years in prison.

Shortly after the attack on Pearl Harbor by Japanese forces and Hitler’s declaration of war against the United States,  the German-American Bund voted to disband itself. Shortly after the war concluded with the Allied Forces defeating the Axis Powers,  Kuhn was deported to Germany and died in 1951.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Tessylo    5 years ago

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2  seeder  Tessylo    5 years ago

Does this remind you of anyone's 'rallies'?

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.1  It Is ME  replied to  Tessylo @2    5 years ago

Yep !

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  It Is ME @2.1    5 years ago

I don't see any Nazi salutes there.  

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.1.2  It Is ME  replied to  Tessylo @2.1.1    5 years ago
I don't see any Nazi salutes there. 

jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

Ditto on what your trying to reference ! jrSmiley_79_smiley_image.gif

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.3  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  It Is ME @2.1.2    5 years ago

That's you're and you're spouting your usual bullshit.  

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.1.4  It Is ME  replied to  Tessylo @2.1.3    5 years ago
That's you're and your usual bullshit

ooooo…. OUCH !jrSmiley_80_smiley_image.gif

That DIDN'T hurt ! 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.5  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  It Is ME @2.1.2    5 years ago

You obviously did not watch the video.  

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.1.6  It Is ME  replied to  Tessylo @2.1.5    5 years ago
You obviously did not watch the video.

I always make it my mission to read and watch before commenting.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.7  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  It Is ME @2.1.6    5 years ago

So obviously you didn't watch the video in my first post.  

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.1.8  It Is ME  replied to  Tessylo @2.1.7    5 years ago
So obviously you didn't watch the video in my first post

All three of them.

Next ?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.9  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  It Is ME @2.1.8    5 years ago

No, this one, in my very first post on this seed.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.1.10  It Is ME  replied to  Tessylo @2.1.9    5 years ago

I actually watched that on TV, years ago. 

Like the narrator says....it isn't a snapshot of the Majority of People. it was about Anti-semitism, which seems to be a problem with a few narratives put forth by the NEW "Liberals" in congress. I call those Few, "The White Dresses" !

It was Confused New York….what else would you expect ? New York is STILL a confused place !

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.11  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  It Is ME @2.1.10    5 years ago

To my knowledge, that was never on TV

It wasn't just about anti-semitism.  

It was about an all white race.

Confused New York?  I don't know what you're talking about.  

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.1.12  It Is ME  replied to  Tessylo @2.1.11    5 years ago
To my knowledge, that was never on TV

The History Channel is fun to watch !

"It was about an all white race."

Sure.... It was about "Whites" being there, but You didn't listen to what the narrator was saying.

"Confused New York? I don't know what you're talking about. "

That's Okay. Politics can be that way. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @2    5 years ago

yes--Hitler!

luther28
Sophomore Silent
3  luther28    5 years ago

More Americans Supported Hitler Than You May ... - Time Magazine

time.com › History › Books
Oct 4, 2018 - Bradley W. Hart, author of 'Hitler's American Friends,' on why that ... first started researching the history of Nazi sympathy in the United States a ...
You may find this of interest. Many American companies collaborated and profited from Nazi Germany. Some prominent Americans (ie: Ford, Lindbergh ) endorsed Hitler for their own particular reasons or opted not to speak out against him.
In my time I remember George Lincoln Rockwell in the sixties spewing his brand of hate, he met an appropriate fate in my estimation.
Yup, hate is alive and well it would seem.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4  seeder  Tessylo    5 years ago

Reminds me of the shitstain in chief's 'rallies'

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4.1  It Is ME  replied to  Tessylo @4    5 years ago
Reminds me of the shitstain in chief's 'rallies'

Do you have a Picture ?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  It Is ME @4.1    5 years ago

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4.1.2  It Is ME  replied to  Tessylo @4.1.1    5 years ago

Where is the "Nazi" part in your vids again ?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.3  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  It Is ME @4.1.2    5 years ago

In every single one.  

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4.1.4  It Is ME  replied to  Tessylo @4.1.3    5 years ago
In every single one. 

Don't see it. Sorry !

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.5  Texan1211  replied to  It Is ME @4.1.4    5 years ago
Don't see it. Sorry !

You could probably see it if you only had your "Hate Trump" glasses on!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.6  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  It Is ME @4.1.4    5 years ago

Of course you don't ! 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4.1.7  It Is ME  replied to  Tessylo @4.1.6    5 years ago
Of course you don't !

I'm a mimic. Ain't it great when it comes back around ? jrSmiley_79_smiley_image.gif

Maybe not ? jrSmiley_19_smiley_image.gif

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4.1.8  It Is ME  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.5    5 years ago
You could probably see it if you only had your "Hate Trump" glasses on!

Sorry ! 

I'm just trying to be a good little "Tolerant" !

I'm trying to "Reach across the islands"....dontchyaknow. jrSmiley_43_smiley_image.gif

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.9  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  It Is ME @4.1.8    5 years ago

If you want to talk to each other - make your own seed.  

Otherwise KNOCK IT OFF.  

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4.1.10  It Is ME  replied to  Tessylo @4.1.9    5 years ago

[If the Trolling continues it's vacation time!]

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4.1.11  It Is ME  replied to  It Is ME @4.1.10    5 years ago

[Removed]

bugsy
Professor Participates
4.1.12  bugsy  replied to  It Is ME @4.1.4    5 years ago

[deleted]

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5  Trout Giggles    5 years ago
“There is a reason Washington is up there and not Jefferson or Madison,” explained one scholar on a popular history site. “Fascism was an ideology that emphasized action and heroism over intellectualism and philosophy. This is why Hitler’s ideal Aryan concept was a strong, handsome, and physically fit person rather than someone with a mind for civics. Men of action were the ideal example figures.”

We suffer from anti-intellectualism today

It Is ME
Masters Guide
5.1  It Is ME  replied to  Trout Giggles @5    5 years ago
“Fascism was an ideology that emphasized action and heroism over intellectualism and philosophy
This is why Hitler’s ideal Aryan concept was a strong, handsome, and physically fit person

Wild .….. How Trump ALWAYS says he wants Smart folks coming here to this country instead of the dredges of others societies, and yet others try to think? ...…….then say …… Anything they can find Bad about Trump ….. Even imagined …….. for that matter !

Just Fucking Weird ! jrSmiley_98_smiley_image.gif

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6  seeder  Tessylo    5 years ago

That's dregs

the dregs of society/humanity

a   group   of   people   in   society   who you   consider   to be   immoral   and of no   value

It Is ME
Masters Guide
6.1  It Is ME  replied to  Tessylo @6    5 years ago
the dregs of society

Riffraff/deficient/ uneducated/ uninformed/fallacious/invalid

epistte
Junior Guide
6.1.1  epistte  replied to  It Is ME @6.1    5 years ago
Riffraff/deficient/ uneducated/ uninformed/fallacious/invalid

Those are Trump's core supporters.

Throughout the election cycle, observers have been interested in the important role that education appeared to play in shaping voter preferences. What do the exit polls suggest about how that materialized? Let’s take a look:

How did educational attainment play into voting patterns?

More or less as expected. Over all, exit polls are "telling us what was predicted," Mr. Scott said. "Namely, people with college degrees — and especially higher degrees — are far more likely to vote for Clinton than Trump, and vice versa."

That expectation marked a departure from recent history. Mitt Romney had a slight edge with college graduates in 2012, though President Obama won among those with more education than that.

But as anticipated, in 2016, voters with a college degree — and especially those with more education — broke for Hillary Clinton, while Mr. Trump was favored by those with lower levels of education.

"The surprise, however," Mr. Scott said, "is how many college graduates voted for Trump." That margin was narrow: 49 percent of college graduates voted for Mrs. Clinton, 45 percent for Mr. Trump.

All along, Mr. Trump’s support was believed to be concentrated among white voters with lower levels of education, and the exit polls bear this out : 67 percent of such voters went to Mr. Trump, 28 percent to Mrs. Clinton. But Mr. Trump also won the white college-educated vote, with 49 percent to Mrs. Clinton’s 45 percent.

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
6.1.2  KDMichigan  replied to  epistte @6.1.1    5 years ago
But Mr. Trump also won the white college-educated vote, with 49 percent to Mrs. Clinton’s 45 percent.

Bahahahaha you can't even read your own unnamed source?

Most my friends are college educated, Most as far as I can tell are pro Trump.

I like that you put your faith in polls....Hillaryious Hillary in a landslide.

Get over it, she lost....No collusion. 

epistte
Junior Guide
6.1.3  epistte  replied to  KDMichigan @6.1.2    5 years ago
Bahahahaha you can't even read your own unnamed source?

Most my friends are college educated, Most as far as I can tell are pro Trump.

I like that you put your faith in polls....Hillaryious Hillary in a landslide.

Get over it, she lost....No collusion. 

You should read that again. Your figure applies only to white college graduates. When you factor in all college graduates the percentage flips.  Hillary won the popular vote by a wide margin. 

The surprise, however," Mr. Scott said, "is how many college graduates voted for Trump." That margin was narrow: 49 percent of college graduates voted for Mrs. Clinton, 45 percent for Mr. Trump.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7  seeder  Tessylo    5 years ago

Well dregs and riffraff/deficient/uneducated/uniformed/fallacious/invalid describe the turd Rump to a T