╌>

Fast fashion’s environmental impact: More clothes to the landfill

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  5 years ago  •  18 comments

Fast fashion’s environmental impact: More clothes to the landfill
Consumers are purchasing more with the rise of fast fashion, but they’re also throwing more out. Americans send four times more clothing to the landfill today than they did in 1980, and those discarded items can take years to decompose.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    5 years ago

It's scary to think how much clothing is thrown away. Holy gluttonous consumption. 

Ender
Professor Principal
2  Ender    5 years ago

I have some clothes that are 20/30 years old. I have an old fringe suede jacket that I have had for about 40 years.

I am kind of picky on how I wash my clothes and I don't dry a lot of things.

After hurricane Katrina people sent a ton of clothes as donations. They set them all out in a parking lot for people to go through and take what they need. After a couple of days it rained and they left most of these clothes to rot in the elements. Was such a waste.

I know people now that even though they have money, they will go to a place like Dirt Cheap to shop instead of spending a lot more at a regular retail.

Things that I no longer want or need I usually take to Goodwill.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Ender @2    5 years ago

I hang on to clothes because I hate to shop. I try to stay away from trendy fashion pieces and stick with the basics. Right now I need to go thru my closet and donate a bunch of stuff to the Airman's Attic...but they probably won't want old lady clothes

Ender
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Ender  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.1    5 years ago

If I buy something trendy it usually gets worn once or twice then sits in the closet. So I agree with you on that.

I started buying some things on line. I think the last time was underwear. I feel really weird standing in a store with people all around and I am staring at packs of boxer briefs.

Never heard of Airman's Attic. I wonder if they have one around here. I would think they would with the base.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Ender @2.1.1    5 years ago

It's a donation place on base. Mr Giggles likes to take things there because there are quite a few married airmen with children who don't make a lot of money because they're junior NCOs or 1, 2, or 3 stripers

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

I don't think I've bought as much as a pair of socks for about a decade.

Kavika
Professor Principal
4  Kavika     5 years ago

When I dispose of some clothing it goes to various charities. I'm sure that there are people that can and do make good use of them. 

Lately my wardrobe consist of shorts and t-shirts and flip flops....

Now Red is a whole other story. There is a huge walk in closet in the MB that was custom designed to hold tons of cloths. Red has exceed the tons by tons. She claims that she does get rid of clothes but I've yet to see anything go to a charity. 

Her walk in closet (I have nothing in that closet) is the landfill for Ocala Fl.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

Back in Canada my ex-wife and I never threw clothes into the garbage unless they were totally shredded and non-repairable, otherwise they went into the charity box for recycling.  Here, I still wear clothes, like underwear, even if they ARE shredded - we never throw out clothes, but if we do I noticed that there is a charity box near our building.  My wife rarely buys new clothes but her wealthy sister-in-law gives her expensive clothes I would never be able to afford that no longer fit her but do fit my wife, who takes good care of her body and remains looking fit.  So what's happening with us is similar to Kavika's wife Red in that I had to buy an extra wardrobe for the overflow of my wife's clothes.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
7  pat wilson    5 years ago

Can mushroom burial suits be made from recycled fashion ?

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
8  sandy-2021492    5 years ago

I finally just got rid of the last pair of shorts I had from high school 2 or 3 years ago.  They'd become so threadbare I couldn't wear them in public, so I used them for messy jobs like painting, and then they were done.  I seldom throw away clothes, except maybe socks or undies that have holes in them.

luther28
Sophomore Silent
9  luther28    5 years ago

Americans send four times more clothing to the landfill today than they did in 1980, and those discarded items can take years to decompose

Can they say Goodwill, Catholic Charities, Salvation Army or collect and ship them to the needy overseas. The folks may remain in poverty, but at least they will look stylish in the process.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
9.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  luther28 @9    5 years ago
they will look stylish in the process.

Not from my leftovers....

luther28
Sophomore Silent
9.1.1  luther28  replied to  Trout Giggles @9.1    5 years ago

After my wife passed away I donated her clothing to the SA, there are folks walking around somewhere with those padded shouldered dresses from the eighties.