╌>

Just how much is $250 billion in tariffs?

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  5 years ago  •  260 comments

Just how much is $250 billion in tariffs?
Explore our interactive database to see how the tariffs will affect you — and the economy.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

By   Ben Popken and Jiachuan Wu

From tractor parts to tilapia, magnets to mirrors, President Donald Trump ratcheted up existing tariffs Friday on billions of dollars of imported Chinese goods from 10 percent to 25 percent -- and threatened to add additional tariffs that would leave American manufacturers and consumers paying higher prices on almost everything the country imports from China. What exactly does a hit on that many billions in goods look like?

To show the economic stake of each of the $250 billion in items already being taxed, NBC compiled a searchable database of the tariffs along with their import values for 2015-2017. The bigger the dollar amount, the more the U.S. economy spends on these goods.

The damaging impact on the U.S. economy of Trump’s trade war with China

Please use the link for interactive database

The U.S has levied a total of $250 billion in tariffs against goods and merchandise made in China. How are these additional taxes affecting consumers and the U.S. economy in general? NBC News compiled a list of all import categories targeted to date, along with their value from 2015-2017, to show the extent to which tariffs are impacting Americans’ pocketbooks.

The tariffs represent part of President Donald Trump's leverage to compel   Beijing to reform its "unfair" trade practices , including   alleged intellectual property theft.

The most impacted products are electronics parts, which represent a hit on $100 billion worth of goods, followed by $8 billion in wooden furniture, $6 billion in upholstered seats, $6 billion in aluminum car tire wheels, and $5 billion in vacuums.

Seafood is also under siege: The U.S. imports billions of dollars worth of seafood from China every year, and the tariffs are affecting popular menu items such as $177 million in peeled crawfish tail meat, $104 million in sole fillets, and $104 million in catfish.

American appetite for Chinese-made handbags could also take a drubbing under the list, which represents about half of the $500 billion worth of goods the U.S. imports from China annually. The list levies tariffs on over $2 billion in plastic handbags, $1.7 billion in leather handbags, and $2.3 billion in handbag components.

The database also includes over 1,000 categories that haven't been imported for the past three years. Those items included agricultural products like chicken, eggs, and some types of fish, along with industrial products like wooden railroad ties and yarn.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
1  FLYNAVY1    5 years ago

The cost at shopping at Walmart is going to jump 25%, and bean farmers throughout the Midwest are going to get hurt especially hard.

We'll see how that plays out in the voting booth.  Personally I don't see that it's going to impact their votes as I see the Republicans are still pushing the wedge issues of God, gun, gay bashing and abortion to distract their base while they write laws to siphon more money to the wealthy.  Status Quo....

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.2  Greg Jones  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @1    5 years ago
Republicans are still pushing the wedge issues of God, gun, gay bashing and abortion to distract their base while they write laws to siphon more money to the wealthy. 
Old and tired left wing lies and Spam. What laws are you referring to?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.2.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Greg Jones @1.2    5 years ago
What laws are you referring to?

Nos. 6, 27b, 8a-def-14h, 37, arkh-18x/gh6, and omnibus number 11. 

zuksam
Junior Silent
1.4  zuksam  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @1    5 years ago

Tariffs are levied on the wholesale cost that Walmart and others pay so if Walmart buys 100,000 of a certain Item for 200.00 each the tariff is 50.00 but since You and I pay 500.00 retail for the Item the price will increase to 550.00 which is a 10% increase.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.5  Vic Eldred  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @1    5 years ago
We'll see how that plays out in the voting booth.

In other words, we shouldn't have bothered to fight in WWII because it was temporarily painful!

evilone
Professor Guide
1.6  evilone  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @1    5 years ago
and bean farmers throughout the Midwest are going to get hurt especially hard.

The Administration is trying to find ways to increase/extend subsidies to these farmers. So not only does this hurt me as a consumer it hurts me as a tax payer.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

Americans will still demand Chinese products, especially electronics, and I doubt that China will suffer as much from Trump's tariff war as US consumers will.  As for China's purchase requirements, such as soybeans, China will locate and then maybe stay with suppliers from other nations and so the American farmers (who will be receiving a $100B subsidy) may well have to be subsidized for a long time.  I don't think the tariffs are affecting the Chinese consumers as much as it is affecting the American ones. It certainly hasn't affected me much.  Isn't what Trump is doing called shooting oneself in the foot?

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.2  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2    5 years ago
Americans will still demand Chinese products, especially electronics, and I doubt that China will suffer as much from Trump's tariff war as US consumers will.

What if manufacturers move their production to other countries with cheap labour-- countries some of which might in fact be able to produce those items cheaper than the Chinese can? (Vietnam,India, Bengladesh...maybe even Mexico?)

In this conflict, the U.S. has the advantage that we import much more from China than they import from us. So if tariffs cut down trade volume-- China gets hurt more than we do as they can lose more business selling to U.S. (because they sell more to us than we sell to them to start with-- I think its maybe 6X as much?).

in addition initially our economy is much stronger than theirs.

OTOH China does have an advantage as well--  they're not a democracy. Their leaders don't have to face re-election! (if their people are suffering-- they still can't vote their leaders out of office).

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.2.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  Krishna @2.2    5 years ago
What if manufacturers move their production to other countries with cheap labour...

That wouldn't be easy. China has spent a couple decades creating "manufacturing centers" where a constructor can find all sorts of specialized subcontractors. Supply chains are short and easy to set up.

It wouldn't be hard to build assembly plants in Vietnam, but providing all the necessary components might be a nightmare.

So I think companies will hesitate... a long time.

And in the meantime, China is promoting internal consumption.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.2.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Bob Nelson @2.2.1    5 years ago

As I see it, the populace here are becoming more affluent, and internal consumption is increasing.

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.2.3  Krishna  replied to  Bob Nelson @2.2.1    5 years ago
What if manufacturers move their production to other countries with cheap labour...
That wouldn't be easy. China has spent a couple decades creating "manufacturing centers" where a constructor can find all sorts of specialized subcontractors. Supply chains are short and easy to set up.
It wouldn't be hard to build assembly plants in Vietnam, but providing all the necessary components might be a nightmare.
So I think companies will hesitate... a long time.
And in the meantime, China is promoting internal consumption.

Apparently its not the same for all companies. For some U.S. manufacturers currently operating in China id would be long and difficult to switch-- even perhaps impossible. (Apparently Apple is an example of this).For others,however,it might be relatively quick and easy.

Actually some have been doing this for a while now-- but nut no because of trump or tariffs but because as China;'s middle class has been growing, so have wages. To that point where, while Chinese wages are considerably,owerthan they's be in the U.S., they have risen to the point where they are significantly higher than they are in some other countries I believe they're lower in Viet-Nam. (Possibly also India and even Mexico?).

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.2.4  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.2.2    5 years ago
As I see it, the populace here are becoming more affluent, and internal consumption is increasing.

Which also means Chinese wages have been rising-- meaning that the cost advantage for manufacturers due to lower wages in China (compared to the U.S.) is decreasing-- compared to much lower wages in other Asian (and latin AMerican?) countries.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.2.5  Kavika   replied to  Krishna @2.2.3    5 years ago

The ''mighty five'' are consider to be Malaysia, India, Thailand, Indonesia and Vietnam.  China is rapidly moving into medium to high-tech manufacturing as its labor costs have risen. 

One or all of the ''mighty five'' are poised to take China's place as the low cost manufacturer of choice.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.2.6  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @2.2.3    5 years ago

Even if wages are not at US level, the cost of living is much less in China.  For example, I live in a modern guarded building in a middle to upper-middle class neighbourhood, surrounded by 3 major university campuses, near all conveniences, subway, huge department store, great restaurants and other service shops, an area of superior infrastructure, constantly cleaned, part of a city with a population almost that of all of Canada.  My apartment is a well-furnished 3-bedroom with a spacious living-dining area and 2 balconies, kitchen and bathroom, which costs me including all utilities, cable TV (about 200 channels) and internet for the equivalent of US$550 per month.  In Toronto, in an area and building that does not compare with that, for the same cost I would have to live in a basement room with a shared kitchen and bathroom down the hall.

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.2.7  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.2.6    5 years ago

Even if wages are not at US level, the cost of living is much less in China.  For example, I live in a modern guarded building in a middle to upper-middle class neighbourhood, surrounded by 3 major university campuses, near all conveniences, subway, huge department store, great restaurants and other service shops, an area of superior infrastructure, constantly cleaned, part of a city with a population almost that of all of Canada.  My apartment is a well-furnished 3-bedroom with a spacious living-dining area and 2 balconies, kitchen and bathroom, which costs me including all utilities, cable TV (about 200 channels) and internet for the equivalent of US$550 per month.

OMG-- why am I still living in the U.S!!! I should move to China where I could live like a king!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.2.8  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @2.2.7    5 years ago

Marry a beautiful Chinese woman like I did, who is a fantastic cook, keeps the home immaculately clean, having been raised on a farm knows her vegetables and can choose the best there is, is amazingly calm and never gets angry, treats me as if I were the Emperor - do that and you'll never want to leave China.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.2.9  TᵢG  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.2.8    5 years ago

I am genuinely happy for you Buzz.   Finding happiness is really the key to life.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.2.10  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  TᵢG @2.2.9    5 years ago

At the age of 69 I had a choice - stay in Toronto, as an old man, eventually enter an old folks home...

But 13 years ago, like Bilbo Baggins had many adventures in my life, but there was still time for the biggest one of all - move to China and live a life I had never before even dreamed about the possibility of experiencing.  Having the fun and satisfaction of teaching young people and watching their lights turn on (and there is such a joy in that),  learning, seeing and photographing a culture so different from what I ever knew, and finding and marrying a woman who most men could only dream possible.

Yes I not only found that key, but used it to open a door to a new and happy life...

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.2.11  Bob Nelson  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.2.2    5 years ago

Exactly.

China’s per capita GDP is higher than America's, but China's population is four times America's. And as you point out elsewhere, purchasing power is higher in China.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.2.12  Bob Nelson  replied to  Krishna @2.2.3    5 years ago
Apparently its not the same for all companies.

True. Simpler processes are easier to move - already have moved in many cases. Textiles is an example.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.2.13  Jack_TX  replied to  Bob Nelson @2.2.11    5 years ago
China’s per capita GDP is higher than America's,

I don't think so.  Also, you said earlier that it wasn't. 

Even PPP is higher per capita in the US.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.2.14  Bob Nelson  replied to  Jack_TX @2.2.13    5 years ago
China’s per capita GDP is higher than America's,

O-o-o-p-s! Backwards!

China's GDP PPP is higher.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.2.15  Jack_TX  replied to  Bob Nelson @2.2.14    5 years ago

Ah.  OK.  Just making sure.

lib50
Professor Silent
2.2.16  lib50  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.2.6    5 years ago

$550/month won't even pay for one room in a house where I live.  One bedroom apartments are going for around $2000/mo.  Prices up so much more than wages. 

evilone
Professor Guide
2.2.17  evilone  replied to  lib50 @2.2.16    5 years ago
$550/month won't even pay for one room in a house where I live. 

It's pretty close to my house payment here in WI. Not including taxes, insurance and utilities. We have 2 bedrooms and one bath. We hope to refinance this summer and move the kitchen into a bigger space and add a half bath on the first floor to increase the value.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3  Greg Jones    5 years ago

So what should be done about the huge trade deficit with China?

What about their ongoing theft of trade secrets and intellectual property

Is the Chinese economy doing all that well?

Was it OK for China to renege on a deal that was nearly worked out?

Trump's action will get them back into discussions.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Greg Jones @3    5 years ago
"Was it OK for China to renege on a deal that was nearly worked out?"

The news I read (American, not Chinese) was that the Chinese came to negotiate and that's when Trump slapped their face with the tariff increase to 25%.  Their meeting lasted 90 minutes - I'm surprised it lasted that long.

TTGA
Professor Silent
3.1.1  TTGA  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1    5 years ago
Their meeting lasted 90 minutes

I don't think that they're used to dealing with people who talk tough, and back it up with actions.

Actually, I think that most of the tariff charges aren't really there just to influence Chinese behavior.  Most of it is sending a message to American companies who chose to outsource to cut labor costs and break unions.  That message is, "Start moving your manufacturing back into the US or we will take action to put you out of business".  This is a message that should have been sent 20 years ago, but, better late than never.

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
3.2  SteevieGee  replied to  Greg Jones @3    5 years ago

So...  You have a super huge Chinese subsidized corporation stealing intellectual property from a super huge multinational (not American for tax purposes) subsidized corporation.  Since neither corporation gives a rat's ass about their workers, their customers, or their respective countries why should I care?

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
3.2.2  SteevieGee  replied to  Have Opinion Will Travel @3.2.1    5 years ago

I was hoping that Greg could explain it.  Or maybe you.  I'm not talking to Google right now because it always calls me and tries to sell me shit.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4  It Is ME    5 years ago

It sounds terrible when you Totalize jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif everything, but I wonder what the price hike on every SINGLE individual piece and part is.

$ 0.01. $ 0.05, $ 0.25, $ 1.00, $ 5.00 ?

There's a hell of a lot of individual pieces and parts that come to this country to be sold .

Remember the argument on raising the minimum wage by Liberals ?

"It would only cost a nickel or so more on your hamburger in order for someone to make a "Living Wage" (whatever the frig that is). jrSmiley_97_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_78_smiley_image.gif

Raising prices for EVERYONE didn't bother them for that, but now it does ? jrSmiley_98_smiley_image.gif

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4.1  It Is ME  replied to  It Is ME @4    5 years ago

On another note....Folks could actually buy "American Made" for a "Change", but even with these tariffs, it probably will still be cheaper to buy "Chinese Made" !

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  XDm9mm @4.1.1    5 years ago

I will say this. I'm still wearing a pair of Rockport Walkers for 20 years that are the most comfortable shoes I ever owned and I wear them often and although they look worn out I don't care.  They were made when the Massachusetts company manufactured them in the USA.  I also bought a pair of the same size Rockport Walkers that were made after the company moved its manufacturing to Mexico, and they hurt my feet.  I think that one benefit of buying American made goods is they last a lot longer.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.4  Buzz of the Orient  replied to    5 years ago

Only the rear quarter of the heels.  By the time they needed reworking it would have been in Mexico.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4.1.6  It Is ME  replied to  XDm9mm @4.1.1    5 years ago

I deal with Hotels and Motels …. a lot....and they won't buy anything made in the U.S. when they renovate, due to costs (they all do studies before making decisions). Even with shipping charges,  port charges, taxes, and any other charges that are thrown in for good measure, it's still cheaper to go outside the country for materials.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4.1.8  It Is ME  replied to  Have Opinion Will Travel @4.1.7    5 years ago
Sure much of it came from China but we also source many goods in that package from North Carolina and other places in the wider region.

There's your sign.... much came from China.....only many from others. jrSmiley_100_smiley_image.jpg

The companies I design for get a trinket or two from the U.S. made companies..... but not MUCH.

Made in China saves MUCH

Now don't get me wrong, there are some things that are "Inexpensive' to buy in this Country, but they aren't "Cheap". jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif

Hotels/Motels aren't looking for products that may last forever, or they wouldn't have much pull with Banks in getting MORE money for themselves.

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.1.9  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1.2    5 years ago
I think that one benefit of buying American made goods is they last a lot longer.

Probably true in many cases.

But I believe Apple manufactures their iPhones in China? And isn't the quality of Apple products generally considered top notch?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.10  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @4.1.9    5 years ago

Most likely true, taking into consideration their advertising and critical reviews.

zuksam
Junior Silent
4.2  zuksam  replied to  It Is ME @4    5 years ago

I have no problem with Tariffs if they're used properly. When you have countries like China that can manufacture goods so cheaply that US manufacturers can't possibly compete tariffs are the only way of leveling the playing field. Many countries use VAT taxes to make imported goods more expensive to near the same cost as domestic products and ideally the money raised through VAT taxes is used to lower the tax burden on citizens so there no real net loss to individual consumers it's just paying the same amount of taxes in a different way which has the added benefit of keeping domestic goods competitive against goods from low wage countries.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
4.2.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  zuksam @4.2    5 years ago

Tariffs can indeed allow local producers to be competitive... but at a higher price for the consumer. Tariffs raise the price of imports. The consumer pays the difference, for higher-priced imports or for local product at that same higher price. I wonder if Americans are willing to go there.

VAT is neutral in international trade, applied to both imports and local production.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4.2.2  It Is ME  replied to  Bob Nelson @4.2.1    5 years ago
Tariffs can indeed allow local producers to be competitive... but at a higher price for the consumer.

Anything made here has ALWAYS been more expensive than imports. I call the tariffs an equalizer. Made over there and made here costs are getting closer to equalizing. Chinese materials should cost as much to buy as it does for American made ! jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
4.2.3  Bob Nelson  replied to  It Is ME @4.2.2    5 years ago

That’s fine, as long as everyone understands that the consumer's price is the previous Chinese price plus the tariff.

China doesn't pay the tariff. The American consumer does.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4.2.4  It Is ME  replied to  Bob Nelson @4.2.3    5 years ago
The American consumer does.

When have they NEVER ? 

Made in China is still cheaper than Made in the U.S. !

#thecostoflivingsucks!

That has ALWAYS always been my cause !

Every Fucking "Feel Good Political Policy" costs us, no matter how "Good" one "Feels" at the time about a policy.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
4.2.5  Bob Nelson  replied to  It Is ME @4.2.4    5 years ago

You're fighting the wrong battle. Lowering consumer costs byany and all means is a good thing.

And then... paying a decent wage so living standards can go up, instead of stagnating. That's the battle that needs to be fought.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4.2.6  It Is ME  replied to  Bob Nelson @4.2.5    5 years ago
paying a decent wage so living standards can go up

What is this "Decent"...."LIVING"...wage everyone speaks of anyway. Is there an "Honest" number that actually makes sense ?

If we fought about  the  "Actual" cost of living increases, Constantly asking for a raise wouldn't be an issue now ….. would it !

That fucking raise ya just got didn't do squat, as the "Cost of Actually living" just went up AGAIN !

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
4.2.7  Bob Nelson  replied to  It Is ME @4.2.6    5 years ago

Do you have any idea what you're talking about?

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4.2.8  It Is ME  replied to  Bob Nelson @4.2.7    5 years ago
Do you have any idea what you're talking about

Of course !

Do you deny the "Cost of Living" keeps going up ?

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
4.2.9  Bob Nelson  replied to  It Is ME @4.2.8    5 years ago

... which is an excellent demonstration that you do not...

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4.2.10  It Is ME  replied to  Bob Nelson @4.2.9    5 years ago
... which is an excellent demonstration that you do not...

oooo, OUCH.....ya got me ?

Do you still deny the "Cost of Living" keeps going up ?

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
4.2.11  Bob Nelson  replied to  It Is ME @4.2.10    5 years ago

... and you persist...  jrSmiley_55_smiley_image.gif

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4.2.12  It Is ME  replied to  Bob Nelson @4.2.11    5 years ago

jrSmiley_93_smiley_image.jpg Does the cost of living keep going up ? jrSmiley_93_smiley_image.jpg

I was feeling your pain. Did that help ?

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
4.2.13  Bob Nelson  replied to  It Is ME @4.2.12    5 years ago

Do you really think the topic is significant? Really?  jrSmiley_76_smiley_image.gif

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4.2.14  It Is ME  replied to  Bob Nelson @4.2.13    5 years ago
Do you really think the topic is significant?

100%

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
4.2.15  Bob Nelson  replied to  It Is ME @4.2.14    5 years ago

Do you know what the inflation rate is today?

Two percent.

jrSmiley_89_smiley_image.gif

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4.2.16  It Is ME  replied to  Bob Nelson @4.2.15    5 years ago

Went up, didn't it. jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
4.2.17  Bob Nelson  replied to  It Is ME @4.2.16    5 years ago

TheseOffbeatCanadagoose-max-1mb.gif

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.2.18  TᵢG  replied to  Bob Nelson @4.2.17    5 years ago

Why do you bother?  jrSmiley_98_smiley_image.gif

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
4.2.19  Bob Nelson  replied to  TᵢG @4.2.18    5 years ago

Hope springs eternal...

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.2.20  Trout Giggles  replied to  TᵢG @4.2.18    5 years ago

why does anyone?

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4.2.21  It Is ME  replied to  Bob Nelson @4.2.17    5 years ago

jrSmiley_78_smiley_image.gif

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4.2.22  It Is ME  replied to  TᵢG @4.2.18    5 years ago

Do the ones that scream for a " Living Wage" …. NOT complain about the cost of living as a reason they need the raise ? 

The cost of Living is the REAL bother for EVERYONE. jrSmiley_98_smiley_image.gif

lady in black
Professor Quiet
5  lady in black    5 years ago

60055341_10161932282010615_6162500783758639104_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=b0948fd514d885f727af8720dd489cfb&oe=5D6F2E06

Split Personality
Professor Guide
6  Split Personality    5 years ago

We had family from Australia visit for several weeks recently and the ladies always go to the very upscale South Lake TX mall to go shopping

and everyone was rather disappointied by the prices (not very good) and the source of almost every garment ( China) with India as a distant second.

I think we found 2 or 3 things made in the USA.  Even the Christian clothing store was flooded with Chinese product.

Both China and the USA are in for a rude awakening

during the period of adjustment should these tariffs continue and China retaliates.

zuksam
Junior Silent
6.1  zuksam  replied to  Split Personality @6    5 years ago

Nothing worth doing is ever easy.

charger 383
Professor Silent
7  charger 383    5 years ago

Do US Citizens want higher pay, better benefits and steady jobs or cheaper stuff?

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
7.1  FLYNAVY1  replied to  charger 383 @7    5 years ago

They want it all charger.......

In reality, corporate CEOs want their bonuses, and the only way that happens is if the shareholders get their dividend checks.  In short, money that could be used to support a better quality of life for the employees (AKA consumers) gets siphoned out of the system taken out of circulation.

It's an endless spiral of cut workers, implement cheaper automated systems, to where the workers take lower paying jobs and have to buy cheaper Chinese made goods at Walmart.  Repeat cycle.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
7.1.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @7.1    5 years ago
In short, money that could be used to support a better quality of life for the employees (AKA consumers) gets siphoned out of the system taken out of circulation.

Excellent post.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
7.1.2  Dean Moriarty  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @7.1    5 years ago

Many stocks don’t pay a dividend, they are invested in because of their potential for future growth and profit. Bezos is now the wealthiest man and Amazon never paid a dividend. It is not uncommon for CEO bonuses to be linked to the performance of the business without a dividend being a factor. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.1.4  Tessylo  replied to  Have Opinion Will Travel @7.1.3    5 years ago
'to these people.'

????????????????

Split Personality
Professor Guide
7.1.5  Split Personality  replied to  Dean Moriarty @7.1.2    5 years ago

And now Amazon is quietly replacing those people who do the packing with a robotic system that just needs ( for now) to be fed cardboard and packing material.

Frankly, we have received too many nearly empty boxes from Amazon - it has to save them $$ on material alone.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
7.1.6  Trout Giggles  replied to  Split Personality @7.1.5    5 years ago
nearly empty boxes from Amazon

Yeah. What's up with that? I'm tired of getting a 50 cubic foot box for an item that could fit in a 10 cubic foot box

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
7.1.7  Bob Nelson  replied to  Split Personality @7.1.5    5 years ago
And now Amazon is quietly replacing those people who do the packing with a robotic system...

This could be simple: tax all robotic added value at 100%. Rebate the money to everyone.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
7.1.8  Split Personality  replied to  Trout Giggles @7.1.6    5 years ago

Free air pouches !!!  ( which also have a cost )

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
7.1.9  Bob Nelson  replied to  Split Personality @7.1.8    5 years ago

They're actually air-bags for delivery drones... jrSmiley_29_smiley_image.gif

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
7.1.10  KDMichigan  replied to  Split Personality @7.1.5    5 years ago
Frankly, we have received too many nearly empty boxes from Amazon

You could go all out for the empty box scam. jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Krishna
Professor Expert
7.1.11  Krishna  replied to  Bob Nelson @7.1.7    5 years ago

This could be simple: tax all robotic added value at 100%. Rebate the money to everyone.

Not a good idea,. it would piss off the robots. And then they would unionize and charge more for their services.

And worse yet---some robots have a really mean streak.

Remember Hal?

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
7.1.12  Bob Nelson  replied to  Krishna @7.1.11    5 years ago
This could be simple
Not a good idea

Why can simple ideas never be good?

zuksam
Junior Silent
7.1.13  zuksam  replied to  Trout Giggles @7.1.6    5 years ago

I like their big boxes, my attic looks like a Amazon warehouse.

zuksam
Junior Silent
7.1.14  zuksam  replied to  Bob Nelson @7.1.7    5 years ago

The problem with that is they'll need to decide what constitutes a robot. I found a definition of Robot as any machine or mechanical device that operates automatically or semi-automatically. So that would cover most machinery used in manufacturing. I think most people think the difference between machine and robot is that a machine does the task it was designed to do and a robot does the task it was programed to do but is capable of doing many different tasks. It doesn't seem right to tax one and not the other though since to me a robot is just a modern machine controlled by a Computer instead of Cams, Pulleys, Gears, Timers, and Relays. In the end they both do the same thing, they replace human labor with mechanical labor.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
7.1.15  Bob Nelson  replied to  zuksam @7.1.14    5 years ago

Reprogrammable is the best definition I know.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
7.1.16  Split Personality  replied to  Split Personality @7.1.8    5 years ago

case in point.

We received a pair of earrings in this 10 in x 7 in x 3.5 in box last week.

That's insane.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
7.1.17  Trout Giggles  replied to  Split Personality @7.1.8    5 years ago

And they're not even poppable like bubble wrap!!!!

Bring back the bubble wrap!

p.s. If there were more bubble wrap in the world, there would be a lot less problems

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
7.1.18  Bob Nelson  replied to  Trout Giggles @7.1.17    5 years ago
If there were more bubble wrap in the world, there would be a lot less problems

Ummm........

original

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
7.1.19  Trout Giggles  replied to  Bob Nelson @7.1.18    5 years ago

That's a piranha made from plastic bottles, Bob.

Popping bubble wrap is theurapetic

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
7.1.20  Bob Nelson  replied to  Trout Giggles @7.1.19    5 years ago

For piranhas?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
7.1.21  Trout Giggles  replied to  Bob Nelson @7.1.20    5 years ago

yeah....and you, too

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
7.1.22  Bob Nelson  replied to  Trout Giggles @7.1.21    5 years ago

jrSmiley_29_smiley_image.gif

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7.1.23  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Trout Giggles @7.1.17    5 years ago

More duct tape would help too - not just for mouths.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
7.1.24  Split Personality  replied to  Trout Giggles @7.1.17    5 years ago

I know, you have to get an exacto knife or a razor to cut the darned things before putting them in the recycle bucket.

No stress relief there !

lol

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
7.1.25  Trout Giggles  replied to  Split Personality @7.1.24    5 years ago

BINGO!

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
8  Raven Wing    5 years ago

There will be no winners on either side, just lots of losers. But, they both knew that in the beginning, but, they don't are how much it hurts their people on either side, just so they can look like He-Men to their own supporters. 

Childish and uncaring how much the poor will suffer on either side. after all, the poor are expendable commodities and really don't matter. Right?

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
8.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  Raven Wing @8    5 years ago
just so they can look like He-Men to their own supporters

jrSmiley_89_smiley_image.gif

Kavika
Professor Principal
9  Kavika     5 years ago

Americans are not getting hurt by the tariffs. Oh wait, since farmers are Americans it would seem that they are getting hurt. After the $12 billion that Trump authorized to help out farmers he now wants another $15 billion for them. Seems the farmers aren't that happy over the situation. 

FARM UNION PRESIDENT CALLS TRUMP'S PROPOSED $15 BILLION SUBSIDY AN INSUFFICIENT, 'TEMPORARY' SOLUTION

LynneA
Freshman Silent
9.2  LynneA  replied to  Kavika @9    5 years ago

...tax payers are paying dearly for this tariff war.  

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
9.2.1  Raven Wing  replied to  LynneA @9.2    5 years ago
.tax payers are paying dearly for this tariff war. 

Not only taxpayers, but, consumers as well. 

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
9.3  livefreeordie  replied to  Kavika @9    5 years ago

Farmer and unions is an oxymoron. I’ve never met a farmer who would ever join a union

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
9.3.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  livefreeordie @9.3    5 years ago

Cesar Chavez?

Kavika
Professor Principal
9.3.2  Kavika   replied to  livefreeordie @9.3    5 years ago

There are 200,000 members that say you have no idea of what your talking about...LOLOL

Do you even know that the National Farmers Union is? From your comment you have no idea, but that's not unusual.

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
9.3.3  livefreeordie  replied to  Bob Nelson @9.3.1    5 years ago

Chavez was a farm worker, not an owner and to his credit he preferred the bracero program to increasing immigration 

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
9.3.4  Bob Nelson  replied to  livefreeordie @9.3.3    5 years ago
Farmer and unions is an oxymoron. I’ve never met a farmer who would ever join a union

Chavez was a farm worker, not an owner

jrSmiley_42_smiley_image.gif

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
9.3.5  livefreeordie  replied to  Bob Nelson @9.3.4    5 years ago

Let me help you

a farmer usually works his farm

but a farm worker while working the farm is simply paid labor not a farmer

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
9.3.6  Raven Wing  replied to  livefreeordie @9.3.5    5 years ago

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
9.3.7  Bob Nelson  replied to  livefreeordie @9.3.5    5 years ago
a farm worker while working the farm is simply paid labor not a farmer

And of course labor is of no importance...

original

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
9.3.8  livefreeordie  replied to  Bob Nelson @9.3.7    5 years ago

Don’t you tire of Strawman arguments.

I never said a farm worker is of no importance. The context is that a worker is not the farmer who actually owns the land and has at risk the crops or animals he/she owns.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
9.3.9  Bob Nelson  replied to  livefreeordie @9.3.8    5 years ago

You should learn the meaning of "strawman argument".

JBB
Professor Principal
10  JBB    5 years ago

Tarrifs are just a way of increasing what people pay. They are taxes on end users...

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
11  Trout Giggles    5 years ago

Why are we importing catfish from China? Catfish is a pretty big commodity here in Arkansas and I see billboards all up and down the highways encouraging people to buy US raised catfish.

It seems like we're importing too many things we can manufacture/produce right here in the good ol' USA. But I don't know nuttin' 'bout ekonumics

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
11.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  Trout Giggles @11    5 years ago
Why are we importing catfish from China?

Price. Chinese catfish costs less, despite transport. If consumers are willing to pay a bit more, they can have American catfish.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
11.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Bob Nelson @11.1    5 years ago

People are dumb. I would rather have something produced here in the USA and pay more for it.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
11.1.2  Bob Nelson  replied to  Trout Giggles @11.1.1    5 years ago

Sam Walton proved that you're an exception.

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
11.2  KDMichigan  replied to  Trout Giggles @11    5 years ago
we can manufacture/produce right here in the good ol' USA.

I never understood sending our chickens to china to be processed? 

More reason to buy farm raised local.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
12  bbl-1    5 years ago

"Just how much is $250 Billion in tariffs worth?" 

Depends upon who benefits from them.  And to be sure, there will be beneficiaries.

Krishna
Professor Expert
13  Krishna    5 years ago

There goes cheap flat screen tvs.

Maybe not.

IIRC, originally Trump seemed to want companies doing manufacturing in China to move their plants to the U.S.

But recently, while that is still his ultimate goal, it seems that he has been sending the message that since his main target is China, he might be OK with American companies in China leaving China-- no matter where they go. In other words, since his target is China, he's be Ok if they left China and went elsewhere even if its not the U,.S.

So in order to avoid specific anti-China tariffs, some  companies will be other places where labour is cheap-- for example Viet-Nam, India, etc.

(While the trade war might hurt both the U.S. as well as the Chinese economy-- it might start to benefit other countries such as India and some in SE Asia! Which means Americans migth still be able to eat their cheap TVs and have them too!). 

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
14  Jack_TX    5 years ago
American appetite for Chinese-made handbags could also take a drubbing under the list, which represents about half of the $500 billion worth of goods the U.S. imports from China annually.

I'm sorry...but I just don't think we're importing a half a trillon dollars worth of purses every year.  

Krishna
Professor Expert
14.1  Krishna  replied to  Jack_TX @14    5 years ago

I'm sorry...but I just don't think we're importing a half a trillon dollars worth of purses every year.  

I had read that the standards of math education in U.S. schools are pretty horrendous. I had been skeptical, but.....

Krishna
Professor Expert
14.2  Krishna  replied to  Jack_TX @14    5 years ago

Your skepticism is well founded. In fact, its more like 100 trillion purses!

Why so many? Well we don't actually need all those purses for use as..purses. Rather, we use them to keep all the catfish we're importing from China cool so they don't rot on the long boat ride from China to our Pacific ports!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
14.2.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @14.2    5 years ago

My best laugh of the day. Thank you.  By the way, it's the boat that's TO China that's slow, not the one FROM China.

zuksam
Junior Silent
14.3  zuksam  replied to  Jack_TX @14    5 years ago
I just don't think we're importing a half a trillon dollars worth of purses every year

The total probably includes all those backpacks the kids take to school as well as any other duffle, pack, or pouch that's made in China. But you're right the story says handbags are on the "List" and the "List" represents about half of the $500 billion worth of goods the U.S. imports from China annually. So the List represents about 250 Billion in Chinese goods and Handbags are just a part of that, how big or small a part is not specified.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
15  Thrawn 31    5 years ago

I find it hilarious that retard and his retarded supporters actually think that tariffs mean the Chinese government is just sending us money.