Why it is important to stop Act S. 447?

Via:  atheist  •  2 weeks ago  •  6 comments

Why it is important to stop Act S. 447?
“Americans only think about Jewish and not Polish interests”

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

The Justice for Uncompensated Survivors Today (JUST) Act (S.447) passed on December 12, 2017 the U.S. Senate and on April 24, 2018 the House of Representatives. The House vote for S. 447 was highly controversial, as it passed the House on motion to suspend the rules, and in an almost empty Chamber, where a handful of representatives agreed to S. 447 by a very weak voice vote (voice vote is usually applied in case of uncontroversial bills of insignificant importance). Act S. 447 was signed by president Trump on May 9, 2018.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
Find text within the comments Find 

Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו
1  seeder  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו    2 weeks ago

The picture accompanying this article was taken at a DC rally this past weekend.  Alongside this protest was a vivid anti-choice display (you know,  the usual stock bloody fetus pictures) erected set up by the same group of clearly rightwing Polish Americans.  The quote for this article actually comes from a protest leader in Poland where the same coordinated protests against this law took place over the weekend so it's proper and reasonable to assume the US protestors share the same sentiment.  At the very least, no one from the American Polish side has distanced itself from that quote. 

So, here's the point:  If Ilhan Omar's comment about a Jewish organization's financial support of pro-Israel US politicians was "anti-semitic" so is that comment from this rightwing group suggesting that Jews have too much influence on our politics.  

If we're going to hurl the antisemitism charge at anyone who criticizes legislation or political activity involving Jewish or Israeli interests it's going to have to be spread evenly across the political spectrum, right?

luther28
3  luther28    2 weeks ago

Although I myself was not present at that point in history, I have read that the majority of Poles did not offer much assistance to their Jewish population during the Nazi occupation, quite the contrary.

I do agree with your point.

Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו
3.1  seeder  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  luther28 @3    2 weeks ago

You are correct. Polish cooperation with Jewish extermination far exceeded the isolated cases of resistance to it.