╌>

U.S. stocks suffer big across-the-board losses as trade war escalates

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  5 years ago  •  10 comments

U.S. stocks suffer big across-the-board losses as trade war escalates
“Investors have reassessed the trade issue," said Howard Silverblatt of S&P Dow Jones Indices. "They weren’t factoring enough risk into it.”

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

U.S. markets plunged Monday as China said it would raise steep tariffs on $60 billion in U.S. goods, upping the stakes of a trade war that threatens to imperil the global economy.

The Dow Jones industrial average closed down 617 points, or nearly 2.4 percent, as investors feared that the standoff with China would escalate into a full-blown economic crisis — tipping the United States and world economies into recession. Dragging the Dow were Apple, Caterpillar and Boeing, with drops of 5.8 percent, 4.6 percent and 4.9 percent, respectively. The blue-chip index slumped to its lowest close since January.

“Investors have reassessed the trade issue," said Howard Silverblatt of S&P Dow Jones Indices. "They weren’t factoring enough risk into it.”

“Today’s tit-for-tat in U.S./China trade tariffs has exacerbated tumbling futures out of fear that tensions could trigger a global recession,” said Sam Stovall, chief investment strategist at CFRA Research.

The drama began last week after President Trump imposed a 25 percent tariff on $200 billion in Chinese imports to the United States. He also told aides to begin plans to hit more than $300 billion in other Chinese goods.

“Stock investors are in risk-off mode as Trump’s trade war with China seems to be escalating while negotiations seem to be breaking down,” said Ed Yardeni, president of Yardeni Research. “Adding to the geopolitical tumult is mounting tension in the Middle East following the sabotaging of Saudi oil tankers over the weekend.”

John Kilduff of Again Capital said that, at least for now, the concerns about Iran are taking a back seat to the fear that the trade salvos between the United States and China could ultimately lead to a reduction in world oil demand.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2019/05/13/dow-plunges-points-market-open-investors-fear-escalating-trade-war-threatens-economy/?utm_term=.386155ff8d9f

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    5 years ago

I heard a theory today   -  Trump wants to manipulate the stock market ups and downs by moving toward or away from a trade deal with China, depending on when he wants the stock market to rally.  Supposedly he intends to do this through 2020.

Interesting speculation. I wouldnt put it past him.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @1    5 years ago
I heard a theory today

In which left-wing nuthouse did you hear that nonsense?

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
1.2  Dean Moriarty  replied to  JohnRussell @1    5 years ago

I love a good conspiracy theory. Maybe we can get this one to go viral. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.2.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Dean Moriarty @1.2    5 years ago

When things look darkest he will "strike" a trade deal , or so he will say, and stocks will go up.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.2.2  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2.1    5 years ago

John,

I know you say that I don't often agree with you, but this actually sounds very doable. And from a man who prided himself on the "art of the deal"... this was one of the tactics in the book. Created an impossible situation, and then dial it back to one that you like, at a time that you like. 

Apparently no one here has read the book. I have. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.2.3  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.2.2    5 years ago

Trump would like nothing more than a stock market rally on his "command". He has that possibility.  If he announces in the next few days that there will be a forthcoming deal with China the market will go up. It's not going to happen in the next few days, but could happen the next time Trump thinks he's in trouble. Then he can go through the whole process again later down the line. I read this speculation in some article today. You are right Perrie, it does sound like something he would do.