╌>

SCOTUS rules iPhone customers can proceed with lawsuits claiming Apple App Store monopoly

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  5 years ago  •  12 comments

SCOTUS rules iPhone customers can proceed with lawsuits claiming Apple App Store monopoly
There’s only one place to buy an app for an iPhone, and that’s Apple’s own App Store. The app developer sets the price, and Apple charges a 30% commission on each sale.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    5 years ago

So what are your thoughts? Is there security in buying from the Apple store to your device or only security for profits to Apple?

zuksam
Junior Silent
1.1  zuksam  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    5 years ago

I think Customers should have a choice. Apple has every right to use the Promise of Security as a marketing tool to try to convince people to buy exclusively from the Apple store but they shouldn't be allowed to bar the use of apps and other software from other sources. I think because Apple is smaller than Microsoft and most phones use Android they've been getting away with monopolistic practices that Microsoft or Android would never have gotten away with.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
1.1.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  zuksam @1.1    5 years ago

I agree. There's almost a cult among Apple enthusiasts.

Ender
Professor Principal
2  Ender    5 years ago

Knock it off assholes. I like my iphone.

If one does not like the iptions, one can go to another.

Also they are separate because of different operating systems.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
3  Bob Nelson    5 years ago
So what are your thoughts?

Locking customers into their ecosystem is the cornerstone of Apple's business plan. "Security" has very little to do with it. There may be a teeny-tiny advantage to having Apple filter all apps before a customer may try them... but "filtering" easily becomes "censoring" and "controlling".

But it's simpler than that. It's about money. Apple takes a big cut from all sales from their app store. Since customers cannot get apps elsewhere, that means Apple get a big cut on everything their customers do.

Now... if a customer thinks Apple's apps are super-great, and worth the extra cost... fine.

I don't.

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1  Ender  replied to  Bob Nelson @3    5 years ago

The way I look at it is Android does the same thing. They have google play which is their app store.

Most app developers launch an app for each system, although there are exceptions.

I have no problem with google/android having their own app store just like I have no problem with the iphone app store.

Some apps one has to pay for yet a lot are free.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
3.1.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  Ender @3.1    5 years ago
The way I look at it is Android does the same thing. They have google play which is their app store.

There are lots of places to get Android apps besides the Play Store.

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.2  Ender  replied to  Bob Nelson @3.1.1    5 years ago

If a google app is not compatible with an i app, it is not the fault of Apple.

Like I said, many apps have duel platforms.

All this lawsuit is doing is saying Apple has to be compatible with everyone else or force them to make changes.

In my opinion a ruling in favor of this would be taking away choice.

There are a lot of things I would go after corporations for, this would be way far down on my list.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
3.1.3  Bob Nelson  replied to  Ender @3.1.2    5 years ago
If a google app is not compatible with an i app, it is not the fault of Apple.

That's not the subject.

A developer must market his work in the Apple store... or not sell. That's a monopolistic practice.

zuksam
Junior Silent
3.2  zuksam  replied to  Bob Nelson @3    5 years ago

Didn't Microsoft try this same crap long ago where other software wouldn't be allowed compatibility with windows software and they weren't allowed to do it ? I may be wrong but I seem to remember something along those lines.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
3.2.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  zuksam @3.2    5 years ago

Yes... But their attempt wasn't completely watertight. It was still possible to load apps from elsewhere. They gave up fairly quickly.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
4  Split Personality    5 years ago

So when an unapproved App locks up your new $1099.00 Apple XMAX like a mad virus,

who are you going to call?  Ghostbusters?

Sorry, not covered.......