╌>

Cramer: Trump no longer cares if his China policies hurt American businesses

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  krishna  •  5 years ago  •  76 comments

Cramer: Trump no longer cares if his China policies hurt American businesses
"Huawei has the best technology for the 5G wireless infrastructure build-out, but without components from American suppliers, that technology just doesn't work. They're gonna get beat," CNBC's Jim Cramer says.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

• "Huawei has the best technology for the 5G wireless infrastructure build-out, but without components from American suppliers, that technology just doesn't work. They're gonna get beat," CNBC's Jim Cramer says.
  • "It could be the end for Huawei's 5G leadership," the "Mad Money" host says.

President Donald Trump has practically "blacklisted" Chinese telecommunications giant Huawei and made it crystal clear that he does not want American companies doing business with the country, CNBC's Jim Cramer said Thursday.

That tanked the shares of a group of chipmakers — Qualcomm QCOM , Skyworks Solutions SWKS , Broadcom AVGO , Micron MU , and Xilinx XLNX — as much as 7.3%, he argued.

"Huawei has the best technology for the 5G wireless infrastructure build-out, but without components from American suppliers, that technology just doesn't work. They're gonna get beat," the "Mad Money" host said. "It could be the end for Huawei's 5G leadership. That's a huge blow to this pioneering company that many in the industry actually feel is nothing but an arm of the [Chinese] Communist Party."

Article is LOCKED by moderator [smarty_function_ntUser_get_name: user_id or profile_id parameter required]
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Krishna    5 years ago

On Wednesday, the Trump administration made a national emergency via executive order to regulate any business dealing with information or communications technology that "poses an unacceptable risk to the national security of the United States." The move bans American businesses from buying equipment from Huawei and requires a special license to sell components to the company, Cramer highlighted.

The semiconductor exchange-trade fund, which tracks chip stocks, slid 1.4%.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  Krishna @1    5 years ago

China reneged on previous agreements, thinking they might get a really good and one sided trade deals if the Democrats somehow elect a president. Since that is unlikely, China will probably come to the table in good faith before too long.

Right now they have a very unfair trade policy.

Previous administrations have kowtowed to the Chi-coms, but Trump isn't likely to.

Krishna
Professor Expert
2  seeder  Krishna    5 years ago

"This was a major escalation from the White House. Trump did the same thing to a smaller Chinese company not that long ago, ZTE, although he quickly walked it back," Cramer said. "This one feels different ... It's clear the president no longer cares if his actions hurt major American businesses."

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
3  Dismayed Patriot    5 years ago

I can just see the Trump tweet now... "Huawei has the best technology, its a good thing Huawei is part of the United States, though still no proof Obama was born there...".

luther28
Sophomore Silent
4  luther28    5 years ago

Trump no longer cares if his China policies hurt American businesses

Not that I normally would dispute something emanating from someone with greater knowledge than I on a subject, but I would propose to Mr. Cramer that Mr. Trump never cared if his policies hurt anyone or any thing.

That is any thing that does not have his name on it.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

What if China were to retaliate by banning the provision of rare earth elements to the USA?

Ender
Professor Principal
6  Ender    5 years ago
Toyota Motor Corp . rebuked President Donald Trump’s declaration that imported cars threaten U.S. national security, signaling contentious talks are ahead for the White House and America’s key trading partners.

In an unusually strong-worded   statement , Japan’s largest automaker said Trump’s proclamation Friday that the U.S. needs to defend itself against foreign cars and components “sends a message to Toyota that our investments are not welcomed.” The company said it has spent more than $60 billion building operations in the country, including 10 manufacturing plants.

Trump earlier Friday   agreed with the conclusions   of his Commerce Department, which investigated imports of vehicles and auto parts and found they harm national security by having led to a declining market share for “American-owned” carmakers since the 1980s. The White House set a 180-day deadline for negotiating deals with Japan, the European Union and other major auto exporters.

Toyota said it remains hopeful that those talks can be resolved quickly, but warned that curbing imports would force U.S. consumers to pay more and be counterproductive for jobs and the economy. The company’s critique comes two months after its   pledge to add $3 billion   to a years-long U.S. investment plan.

Representatives for other automakers were more diplomatic but also registered concern about the Trump administration's saber-rattling. The Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers, a trade group representing a dozen of the largest domestic and foreign carmakers with operations in the U.S., warned Friday that higher prices from tariffs could put 700,000 American jobs at risk.

``We  are deeply concerned that the administration continues to consider imposing auto tariffs,'' the car lobby said in a statement. ``By boosting car prices across the board and driving up car repair and maintenance costs, tariffs are essentially a massive tax on consumers.''

It Is ME
Masters Guide
7  It Is ME    5 years ago

Telecom Companies Are Seriously Overhyping 5G Networks
The marketing gimmicks would be hilarious if they didn’t come with potentially major consequences.

Despite the fact that we’re years away from 5G’s nationwide commercial rollout—some analysts have predicted that we won’t see widespread deployment of strong 5G services in the U.S. until 2022 or 2023—and have yet to see any of these predictions come to fruition, telecommunications companies insist that the 5G revolution is already here, or just around the corner. This month brought a comical example when AT&T announced that it would begin offering what it misleadingly called “5G E,” which, in reality, is really only a slight upgrade to its current 4G LTE network. T-Mobile subsequently mocked AT&T by tweeting the message, “didn’t realize it was this easy, brb updating,” along with a video of someone putting a small piece of tape labeled “9G” over their smartphone’s network status bar icon. The backlash hasn’t deterred AT&T, which is still advertising that it’s “America’s best wireless network … now with 5G E.”

As former FCC Chairman Michael Powell recently said, expressing skepticism over wireless industry’s hype , “5G is 25 percent technology, 75 percent marketing.” Though Powell now represents and speaks on behalf of a major cable industry group, which has its own motivations for challenging the veracity of the wireless industry’s claims about 5G, his underlying point is well taken.

This kind of hype and overselling of an emerging technology, of course, isn’t unique. The prospect of new capabilities has always fueled excitement by enthusiasts who believe it will radically transform lives, and by those hoping to cash in. 5G may very well usher in profound changes in our technological capabilities. But the benefits are years from coming to fruition—and we shouldn’t let our eagerness to see those benefits cloud our judgment about what’s realistic and what will actually benefit those living in that future.

It's all about the money:

For one, there’s the issue of companies trying to encourage their customers to upgrade to new, 5G-enabled smartphones (the first of which are set to come out the first half of this year)—which could cost them $200 to $300 more than current 4G-era smartphones—before the new networks are up and running, before carriers have announced the terms or pricing for their forthcoming 5G wireless plans, and before we have a sense of just how good these new networks will actually be nationwide.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
8  It Is ME    5 years ago

Jim Cramer is not the Best and the Brightest to listen too !

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
8.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  It Is ME @8    5 years ago

Could you please, please, please learn the proper usage of simple words like "to" and "too"? I have to re-read your posts every time...

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
8.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Bob Nelson @8.1    5 years ago
(deleted)

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
8.1.2  Bob Nelson  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @8.1.1    5 years ago

True.

there they're their

your you're

too to two

site sight

rite right

... and many, many more...

If English is too (not "to") difficult, we could all learn Spanish. Or Mandarin.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
8.1.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Bob Nelson @8.1.2    5 years ago
(deleted)

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
8.1.4  Bob Nelson  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @8.1.3    5 years ago

knight of yore...

It Is ME
Masters Guide
8.1.5  It Is ME  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @8.1.1    5 years ago

Spill Chickers, even though they know what one meant, just have this need to stand on a soap box to shout anything but what the conversation was ACTUALLY about !

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.1.6  Texan1211  replied to  Bob Nelson @8.1    5 years ago
Could you please, please, please learn the proper usage of simple words like "to" and "too"? I have to re-read your posts every time...

Can you read and understand the following?

For emaxlpe, it deson’t mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod aepapr, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer are in the rghit pcale. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit pobelrm.
S1M1L4RLY, Y0UR M1ND 15 R34D1NG 7H15 4U70M471C4LLY W17H0U7 3V3N 7H1NK1NG 4B0U7 17.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
8.1.7  Bob Nelson  replied to  Texan1211 @8.1.6    5 years ago

When deciphering, the mind is concentrated, expecting complications.

When reading, the mind is on automatic pilot; speed bumps are unwelcome.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.1.8  Texan1211  replied to  Bob Nelson @8.1.7    5 years ago

The point is that he got his message across. You KNEW what he meant--no matter how it was spelled or what particular words he used.

You read that without concentrating--you just read it like millions of others would. Nothing really to decipher.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
8.1.9  katrix  replied to  Bob Nelson @8.1.7    5 years ago

It's juvenile, for one thing - and it makes me assume the content of the comments will be as bad as the format.  It's difficult to presume intelligence when you see comments like that.  I presume the opposite, actually.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
8.1.10  Bob Nelson  replied to  Texan1211 @8.1.8    5 years ago
You KNEW what he meant--no matter how it was spelled or what particular words he used.

No. I knew only after re-reading.

It's rude to require re-reading because one is too (not "to") lazy to learn basic English.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
8.1.11  Bob Nelson  replied to  katrix @8.1.9    5 years ago

Precisely.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8.1.12  Tessylo  replied to  katrix @8.1.9    5 years ago
'It's juvenile, for one thing - and it makes me assume the content of the comments will be as bad as the format.  It's difficult to presume intelligence when you see comments like that'

I feel exactly the same way.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.1.13  Texan1211  replied to  Bob Nelson @8.1.10    5 years ago

it is also rude to correct others' grammar unless you are their teacher or parent.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
8.1.14  Bob Nelson  replied to  Texan1211 @8.1.13    5 years ago

Seriously?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.1.15  Texan1211  replied to  Bob Nelson @8.1.14    5 years ago
Seriously?

Yes. Lots of people are taught those things by their parents, and some just learn on their own over a lifetime.

Some obviously never learn it.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
8.1.16  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  It Is ME @8.1.5    5 years ago

Although, having been an English teacher for foreign students, I am always tempted to correct others' errors, but I don't because I only wish I could speak their language as well as they can speak mine.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
8.1.17  Bob Nelson  replied to  Texan1211 @8.1.15    5 years ago

My parents have been dead for a long time.

Is my grammar exempt from correction?

jrSmiley_26_smiley_image.gif

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
8.1.18  Bob Nelson  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @8.1.16    5 years ago
I only wish I could speak their language as well as they can speak mine.

Good point.

Mistakes in a second language are understandable.

Even in one's first language, mistakes about difficult points are understandable. That was not my complaint.

IMNAAHO, sloppy mastery of ordinary language is not understandable, and not excusable. It is entirely within the writer's capabilities to write correctly.

Sloppy usage of ordinary language shows the writer's disdain for the reader.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8.1.19  Tessylo  replied to  Texan1211 @8.1.13    5 years ago

It's not rude at all. [deleted]

katrix
Sophomore Participates
8.1.20  katrix  replied to  Texan1211 @8.1.13    5 years ago

What's rude is someone deliberately using poor grammar, excessive emojis and fonts, and weird punctuation.  Just as typing in all caps is considered yelling - it appears to be a pathetic attempt to get attention when a person has nothing valid to say.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
8.1.21  Bob Nelson  replied to  katrix @8.1.20    5 years ago

Yup

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
8.1.22  Dean Moriarty  replied to  Bob Nelson @8.1.21    5 years ago

I was always surprised at how much support the retired newspaper editor on this site got for arguing an opposite position on the all caps, extra large font and excessive use of colored fonts. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.1.23  Texan1211  replied to  Bob Nelson @8.1.17    5 years ago
My parents have been dead for a long time.
Is my grammar exempt from correction?

Well, I certainly won't be the one to correct you on it.

It adds ZERO to the conversation and I think all adults understood what the point of the comment was--no matter the grammar or punctuation or spelling.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.1.24  Texan1211  replied to  katrix @8.1.20    5 years ago
What's rude is someone deliberately using poor grammar, excessive emojis and fonts, and weird punctuation. Just as typing in all caps is considered yelling - it appears to be a pathetic attempt to get attention when a person has nothing valid to say.

I had no idea that an extra "o" on a word would set off so many triggers. Perhaps it was a simple typo and not some nefarious plot to rile up members?

What is funny is that one poster here regularly and invariably posts using words incorrectly and no punctuation, or wrong punctuation, and I have NEVER seen one of you call him out. Now, his posts you HAVE to re-read to figure out what he is trying to (cleverly?) say, but I just gave up on it and ignore him.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
8.1.25  katrix  replied to  Texan1211 @8.1.24    5 years ago

I didn't actually call out this poster, either - I joined a conversation that was going on. 

No matter who does it, it's incredibly annoying and detracts from the value of the person's comments.  If everyone ignored those people, maybe that would be an incentive for them to stop being so rude.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8.1.26  Tessylo  replied to  katrix @8.1.20    5 years ago
'What's rude is someone deliberately using poor grammar, excessive emojis and fonts, and weird punctuation.  Just as typing in all caps is considered yelling - it appears to be a pathetic attempt to get attention when a person has nothing valid to say.'
That's how it appears to me as well.  

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
9  bbl-1    5 years ago

"Trump no longer cares."  Could have left it at that.  As if he ever cared about anything except himself anyway.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
10  Thrawn 31    5 years ago
Trump No Longer Cares If His China Policies Hurt American Businesses

He never has. All that matters to him, all that has ever mattered to him is what is good for him personally. That is it, everything and everyone else can go fuck themselves as long as he comes out on top. 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
11  Split Personality    5 years ago

Seeder missing from Article for days. Current conversations are off topic and meta.