╌>

Baby in critical condition after being ripped from mother's womb in Chicago murder case

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  5 years ago  •  16 comments

Baby in critical condition after being ripped from mother's womb in Chicago murder case
The family of the murdered pregnant woman released photos of the baby boy in his father's arms at the hospital.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

By   Doha Madani

A baby boy who was   ripped from his mother's womb   in what Chicago authorities suspect to be a fetal abduction case is still hospitalized and in critical condition, according to the family.

The family of Marlen Ochoa-Lopez, who police say was strangled and then had her baby cut from her womb, on Monday released photos of the baby with his father, Yiovanni Lopez. Baby Yadiel is still in critical condition and is reliant on a breathing machine, a family spokeswoman told NBC News.

Clarisa Figueroa, 46, and her daughter Desiree, 24,   were charged last week with strangling Ochoa-Lopez , who was nine months pregnant at the time, and then allegedly cutting the baby out of her dead body. Police say Ochoa-Lopez went missing in late April after she arranged to meet with Clarisa Figueroa, whom she met on Facebook, to pick up baby items.

Authorities suspect that Clarisa Figueroa intended on raising Ochoa-Lopez's baby as her own after her 20-year-old son died of natural causes.

The mother and daughter were denied bond during a court appearance Friday. Clarisa Figueroa's 40-year-old boyfriend, Piotr Bobak, who was charged with concealing the murder, was also denied bond.

Ochoa-Lopez's family said they've braced themselves for the possibility of the baby also dying, but are still holding out hope.

"We plead to God that he gives us our child because that is a blessing that my wife left for us," Yiovanni Lopez told reporters last Wednesday, through a Spanish interpreter, outside the county morgue where his wife's body was taken.

A funeral for Ochoa-Lopez is planned for Saturday in the Chicago suburb of Stickney, according to the Mount Auburn Funeral Home.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    5 years ago

Humans can be monsters. 

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
1.1  Freefaller  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    5 years ago

Yes they can be.  I personally would be very leery of going to any internet strangers address without a friend or something along for safety.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Freefaller @1.1    5 years ago

I have met several members and it was fine. But you really need to know them for a very long time before doing that. 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2  Greg Jones    5 years ago

Wasn't it just a fetus since it was still in the womb and hadn't drawn a breath?

According to some it wasn't a baby yet.

And yes, some people are despicable and sub-human.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Greg Jones @2    5 years ago
Wasn't it just a fetus since it was still in the womb and hadn't drawn a breath?

No, it has no soul until it draws a breath. Once it did, it was a person. That is a religious POV. And most people would say a fetus at this point of development is a baby. 

I didn't expect this to become about abortion. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.1    5 years ago

I was born at 28 weeks. I'm assuming this baby was at about 35-36 weeks since the article stated Mom was 9 months pregnant.

I'm ok for the most part. I'm hoping for the best for this little one. What a hell of way to come into this world.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.1.2  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.1.1    5 years ago

Glad you came out fine! :)

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  JohnRussell    5 years ago

I wonder if the killer has a built in insanity defense as she wanted to have a child to raise as her own after her son recently died. And I wonder if the murdered girl (she was 19 years old) had maybe innocently told the killers that her baby was a boy. 

This is also another warning to people about socializing with people you meet on social media. Marlen Ochoa-Lopez should never have gone to a stranger's house by herself. 

charger 383
Professor Silent
3.1  charger 383  replied to  JohnRussell @3    5 years ago

people would be very wise to heed you warning  

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4  JohnRussell    5 years ago

By the way, local news here in Chicago has said all along that the baby is not expected to survive, although I suppose as more days go by maybe his chances are getting a little better. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  JohnRussell @4    5 years ago

They can do amazing things in the NICU these days. My daughter is a nurse in a NICU and she has good stories

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.1.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1    5 years ago

My daughters were in the NICU with babies born at 24 weeks and they were doing amazingly well.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.1.1    5 years ago

24 weeks is early even for twins, isn't it?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6  JohnRussell    5 years ago

The killers in the case are not, well, intelligent people. They put the dead woman's body in the garbage outside their house and that is where the police found it.  I'm pretty sure it will come out that these killers are low IQ people. Nothing wrong with being low IQ in itself but when that is combined with anti-social tendencies bad news is on the horizon.