╌>

10 Types of Internet Trolls You'll Meet Online

Category:  Health, Science & Technology

Via:  jasper2529  •  5 years ago  •  97 comments

10 Types of Internet Trolls You'll Meet Online
Haters gonna hate, trolls gonna troll

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

An   Internet troll   is a member of an online social community who deliberately tries to disrupt, attack, offend or generally cause trouble within the community by posting certain comments, photos, videos, GIFs or some other form of online content.

You can find trolls all over the Internet – on message boards, in your YouTube video comments, on Facebook, on   dating sites , in blog comment sections, and everywhere else that has an open area where people can freely post to express their thoughts and opinions. Controlling them can be difficult when there are a lot of community members, but the most common ways to get rid of them include either  banning/blocking   individual user accounts (and sometimes IP addresses altogether),   reporting them to authorities , or closing off comment sections entirely from a blog post, video page or topic thread.

Regardless of where you'll find Internet trolls lurking, they all tend to disrupt communities in very similar (and often predictable) ways. This isn't by any means a complete list of all the different types of trolls out there, but they're most certainly some of the most common types you'll often come across in active online communities.
  1. The Insult Troll
  2. The Persistent Debate Troll
  3. The Grammar and Spellcheck Troll
  4. The Forever Offended Troll
  5. The Show-Off, Know-it-All Or Blabbermouth Troll
  6. The Profanity and All-Caps Troll
  7. The One Word Only Troll
  8. The Exaggeration Troll
  9. The Off Topic Troll
  10. The Greedy Spammer Troll

Read details about each type of troll here.

https://www.lifewire.com/about-us

Two things to know before you comment on this seed:

• Prior to posting this seed, I checked with Perrie about the publishing category. She approved my choice but does not want comments specific to NT.
  • Comments that do not follow CoH and TS will be flagged.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
1  seeder  Jasper2529    5 years ago

Why Do People Troll on the Internet?

Every internet troll has a different backstory and therefore different reasons for feeling the need to troll a community or an individual on the internet. They may feel depressed, attention-starved, angry, sad, jealous, narcissistic or some other emotion they may not be entirely conscious of that's influencing their online behavior.

What makes trolling so easy is that anyone can do it, and it can be done from a safe, isolated place as opposed to interacting with others in person. Trolls can hide behind their shiny computers, screen names and avatars when the go out trolling for trouble, and after they’re all done, they can carry on with their real lives without facing any real consequences. Trolling makes a lot of cowardly people feel stronger.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
2  seeder  Jasper2529    5 years ago

Dealing with Trolls

If a troll tries to provoke you, just ignore them . They’re not worth your time or emotional distress. Try not to take anything personally and remind yourself that their bad behavior does not change who you are.

Remember that a person who seems like a troll is actually the one suffering in some way and is trying to distract themselves and make themselves feel better by taking it out on you. If you can, try to have a good laugh and think about how sad it is that people actually feel the need to insult complete strangers on the internet.
If you're feeling strong enough, you might even consider responding to them with kindness by complimenting something about them (such as their profile picture, their username, etc). This is the last thing they'll expect from you, and while you'll have to risk being trolled again, there's always a chance that your unexpected kindness could move them in a way that changes their behavior for the better.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
3  seeder  Jasper2529    5 years ago

The Show-Off, Know-it-All Or Blabbermouth Troll

A close relative to the persistent debate troll, the show-off or blabbermouth troll is a person who doesn't necessarily like to participate in arguments but   does  love to share his or her opinion in extreme detail, even spreading rumors and secrets in some cases. Think of that one family member or   friend   you know who just loves to hear his or her own voice. That's the Internet equivalent of the show-off or know-it-all or blabbermouth troll. They love to have long discussions and write lots of paragraphs about   whatever   they know, whether anyone reads it or not. 

JBB
Professor Principal
6  JBB    5 years ago

Worst trolls I ever knew of tried to get Angry Left fired by doxing him at his job...

It wasn't the first time either. They had repeatedly doxed CobaltBlue beforehand.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
6.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  JBB @6    5 years ago

That is a horrible thing to do. I think that person had a bigger problem than being a troll. 

JBB
Professor Principal
6.1.1  JBB  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @6.1    5 years ago

It was bad but the worst was that when banned for it they played the victim.

You've probably experienced that phenomenon of Perpetual Victimhood, too.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
6.1.2  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  JBB @6.1.1    5 years ago

Indeedy! And it takes a lot to get banned from here, so you have got to be really, really rotten.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
6.2  Sunshine  replied to  JBB @6    5 years ago
It wasn't the first time either. They had repeatedly doxed CobaltBlue beforehand.

Why I do not like to talk about my personal life.  

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
6.3  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  JBB @6    5 years ago

That's a terrible thing to do to people. I've read about politicians and Hollywood types doing this.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
6.4  sandy-2021492  replied to  JBB @6    5 years ago
Worst trolls I ever knew of tried to get Angry Left fired by doxing him at his job...

That was fun to watch.

JBB
Professor Principal
6.4.1  JBB  replied to  sandy-2021492 @6.4    5 years ago

It is not fun when it happens to you.

On Feb 22, 2014 I mentioned on NV that my ancient mother and I would be among the counterprotesters at a Westboro Baptist protest against Jason Collins coming out in the NBA outside the OKC Thunder game the next evening. On Feb 23rd, the next evening, we must have been identified among the small group of protesters and followed because my home was vandalized that night. On Feb 24th three members of NV taunted me openly with their intimate knowledge of exactly what had transpired the night before. Were it not for this I would not have tied it all back to what I had foolishly said about where and when we would be at a specific place and just assumed we were followed.

This is all I am going to share but do beware of what you reveal online.

Ender
Professor Principal
6.4.2  Ender  replied to  JBB @6.4.1    5 years ago

Didn't they send letters to his place of business or something. Trying to get him fired because he admitted to getting high. Trying to say he was stoned on the job etc.

I thought another was harassed and got the authorities involved.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
6.4.3  sandy-2021492  replied to  Ender @6.4.2    5 years ago

Yes. He has a medical condition which is treated with mj. When he mentioned that he used small amounts during the day, NJPerson latched onto that and threatened to inform his boss and clients.  She gave out some identifying information on the Vine - vague info, but specific enough for a determined searcher to use to find him.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
6.4.4  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  Ender @6.4.2    5 years ago

And JBB -

I've been lenient so far, but I need to halt your Meta. This seed is not a discussion about your personal NV and NT experiences. Those should be posted in Metafied.

Please discuss the seeded topic. Thank you.

JBB
Professor Principal
6.4.5  JBB  replied to  Ender @6.4.2    5 years ago

Yes, they called his boss trying to rat him out for just being online while he was at work and then when that did not work they even tried to falsely report him for unethical practices to the governing body of his profession...

JBB
Professor Principal
6.4.6  JBB  replied to  Jasper2529 @6.4.4    5 years ago

Butt, I am discussing the worst kind of troll I ever encountered online...

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
6.4.7  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  sandy-2021492 @6.4.3    5 years ago

and JBB again ...

See comment 6.4.4.

No "Butts". Publish your own seed or article about your former grievances and stop derailing my seed .

Last warning.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
6.4.8  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  JBB @6.4.6    5 years ago

Yes, but you've gone on about it for several comments now. Through your descriptions, we've all understood how terrible those trolls were, so there's no reason to rehash whatever happened on my seed and drone on and on about it. Use Metafied for your personal complaints, if you wish. This seed offers a higher level of discussion.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.4.9  Tessylo  replied to  JBB @6.4.5    5 years ago

That's happened to me too where I unfortunately revealed too much personal information and they went to my IT department for being online at work also

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
6.4.10  sandy-2021492  replied to  Jasper2529 @6.4.7    5 years ago

Your seed is about trolls  We are discussing trolls we've encountered.  Seems on topic to me.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
6.4.11  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  sandy-2021492 @6.4.10    5 years ago
Your seed is about trolls 

Correct.

We are discussing trolls we've encountered. 

Yes, and that is fine.

Seems on topic to me.

This is where I disagree. Several comments are repeatedly dredging up Meta history that most people either don't know about or aren't interested in. Write an article about those personal issues and post to Metafied if you wish to rehash your past experiences.

In order to get us back on topic, please share what method(s) you use and find most effective when dealing with Internet trolls.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
6.4.12  sandy-2021492  replied to  Jasper2529 @6.4.11    5 years ago

I'm sorry you disagree.

The method I've found most effective when dealing with trolls is to antagonize them until they do something to get themselves banned, like, for example, threatening to doxx somebody.

lib50
Professor Silent
6.4.13  lib50  replied to  sandy-2021492 @6.4.12    5 years ago

I never heard of doxx.  But I've always been wary of posting too much personal info publicly.  Had no idea that happened to Angry Left, remember hearing something but never knew the extent of it.  Sounds like cyber-stalking, and what kind of asshole tries to mess up someones life like that? 

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
6.4.14  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  sandy-2021492 @6.4.12    5 years ago
I'm sorry you disagree.

I appreciate your apology, but there wasn't a reason to do so. Most people can disagree without being disagreeable.

The method I've found most effective when dealing with trolls is to antagonize them until they do something to get themselves banned, like, for example, threatening to doxx somebody.

This sounds like it could be an effective way to combat trolls. The method I've found as most successful is to simply ignore those who are trolling and not reply to them.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
6.4.15  sandy-2021492  replied to  lib50 @6.4.13    5 years ago
what kind of asshole tries to mess up someones life like that? 

The type who doesn't like to be challenged.  Some of those types of trolls can be downright nasty humans.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.4.16  Tessylo  replied to  Tessylo @6.4.9    5 years ago

I was thinking about this and remembered exactly what happened.  I went to a site, I think it was called 'The Liberal Heretic' and they didn't like how I challenged their nonsense and one nasty bitch got my IP address and then reported me to my IT department.  

Dulay
Professor Expert
6.4.17  Dulay  replied to  Jasper2529 @6.4.11    5 years ago
This is where I disagree. Several comments are repeatedly dredging up Meta history that most people either don't know about or aren't interested in. Write an article about those personal issues and post to Metafied if you wish to rehash your past experiences.

Metafied is for members with issues with THIS forum, not for past issues with trolls in another forum. 

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
6.4.18  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  Dulay @6.4.17    5 years ago
Metafied is for members with issues with THIS forum, not for past issues with trolls in another forum. 

I am fully aware of Metafied's purpose. As I stated in my Introduction, I cleared the placement issue with Perrie before seeding.  

Most importantly, I suggest two things:

• Read the seeded Technology article and other links related to it. 
  • Compose and post on-topic comments before you attempt to derail my seed again.

Thank you for your future cooperation.

Dulay
Professor Expert
6.4.19  Dulay  replied to  Jasper2529 @6.4.18    5 years ago

[Trolling]

epistte
Junior Guide
6.5  epistte  replied to  JBB @6    5 years ago
Worst trolls I ever knew of tried to get Angry Left fired by doxing him at his job... It wasn't the first time either. They had repeatedly doxed CobaltBlue beforehand.

I was doxxed on a previous forum because they didn't believe that I was female.   The guy called me on my cellphone. He also hacked into the DMV somehow and had my license photo.

lib50
Professor Silent
6.5.1  lib50  replied to  epistte @6.5    5 years ago

Wow, that's pretty scary. 

epistte
Junior Guide
6.5.2  epistte  replied to  lib50 @6.5.1    5 years ago
Wow, that's pretty scary. 

He thought it was cute to send me a magazine subscription a year later.

I retaliated by posting his name and address on Reddit after the magazine publisher told me who paid for it. 

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
6.5.3  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  epistte @6.5.2    5 years ago

Other than possibly making you feel better, did your doxxing of someone else make everything OK?  Just curious.

epistte
Junior Guide
6.5.4  epistte  replied to  Jasper2529 @6.5.3    5 years ago
Other than possibly making you feel better, did your doxxing of someone else make everything OK?  Just curious.

I tried to report it but the cops wouldn't do anything because he never physically staked or threatened me, so I played his game and let the trolls of Reddit have fun with him.  

He should have thought about the repercussions of his actions before he decided to harass someone, unless you don't think that I should have defended myself. I reported him to the forum admins' but they said that it wasn't against the TOS. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
7  JohnRussell    5 years ago

On a relatively small forum like NT ignoring trolls is not really possible. Often there is only one seed about a given topic.

To me the worst trolls are the ones that want to aggressively spread ignorance. And there are some on every forum.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
7.2  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  JohnRussell @7    5 years ago
On a relatively small forum like NT ignoring trolls is not really possible. 

Actually, it's very easy. Just scroll past those comments and ignore them. 

Often there is only one seed about a given topic.

One can always find another source and seed it.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
7.3  Raven Wing  replied to  JohnRussell @7    5 years ago
To me the worst trolls are the ones that want to aggressively spread ignorance

To me, the worst are the ones who want to aggressively spread hatred against others for their religious, political or personal beliefs. And there are indeed some on every forum.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
10  Raven Wing    5 years ago

If left to continue their games, Trolls can seriously affect the quality of the site community, and deter some Members from participating. Especially, those who continually target the same Members whom they feel some dislike for, or have a personal grudge against. When they are allowed to continue this kind of behavior it only emboldens them to be even more abusive.

Some also do their Trolling toward women, as they hold women in disdain, especially, those who are not reluctant to hold their own against their personal attacks.

This applies to most social sites, and we have a few who engage in Trolling here on NT as well. 

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
10.1  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  Raven Wing @10    5 years ago
If left to continue their games, Trolls can seriously affect the quality of the site community, and deter some Members from participating. Especially, those who continually target the same Members whom they feel some dislike for, or have a personal grudge against. When they are allowed to continue this kind of behavior it only emboldens them to be even more abusive.

Needs to be repeated. Well said, Raven Wing.

JBB
Professor Principal
10.2  JBB  replied to  Raven Wing @10    5 years ago

I believe that TPTB on websies often credit their pet trolls with increasing site participation and maybe even feel dependent on them as individually they do make lots of comments and they do often inspire many others to comment in response to their trolling butt really they ultimately will run off way more members decimating both participation and the overall quality of contributors. Sometimes management is going to make mistakes. It only becomes a tragic folly when TPTB cannot or will not recognize that they merely made a very human error and then take necessary corrective actions...

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
10.2.1  Raven Wing  replied to  JBB @10.2    5 years ago
they do make lots of comments and they do often inspire many others to comment in response to their trolling

However, from what I have seen myself, those who continually respond to the Trolls are the same ones time after time. They are the Troll's 'baiters' to keep giving the Troll comments to respond to, thus, continually able to create a less than productive and/or hostile environment which few other than themselves wish to participate in. In the end, the site becomes less and less conducive to those who wish to engage in civil and meaningful discussion.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
10.3  Tacos!  replied to  Raven Wing @10    5 years ago
Some also do their Trolling toward women, as they hold women in disdain, especially, those who are not reluctant to hold their own against their personal attacks.

Agreed. And if you object to it, then they treat you like the Forever Offended Troll.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
10.3.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Tacos! @10.3    5 years ago
And if you object to it, then they treat you like the Forever Offended Troll.

Very true. Being gender prejudice in an open forum is one of the more disgusting types of Trolls.

Kavika
Professor Principal
12  Kavika     5 years ago

I don't usually troll but when I do, I'm fishing.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
12.2  Raven Wing  replied to  Kavika @12    5 years ago

Great catch!! There are some types of 'Trolling' that end in a truly great result! (grin)

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
12.3  1stwarrior  replied to  Kavika @12    5 years ago

What time is dinner?

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
12.3.1  Raven Wing  replied to  1stwarrior @12.3    5 years ago

I'll bring the Fry Bread.....

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
12.4  KDMichigan  replied to  Kavika @12    5 years ago

That was nice of someone to let you pose with their fish Kavika. J/k

Kavika
Professor Principal
12.4.1  Kavika   replied to  KDMichigan @12.4    5 years ago
That was nice of someone to let you pose with their fish Kavika. J/k

I sent a special box of nightcrawlers to the fishes daddy...jrSmiley_4_smiley_image.png

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
12.5  dave-2693993  replied to  Kavika @12    5 years ago

Good catch.

I'm guessing light weight line.

4lbs? 6lbs?

Kavika
Professor Principal
12.5.2  Kavika   replied to  dave-2693993 @12.5    5 years ago

8lb test mono and the fish weighted 10 lbs 5 oz.

Kavika
Professor Principal
12.5.3  Kavika   replied to  Release The Kraken @12.5.1    5 years ago

I noodle catfish not bass....

My biggest catfish that I noodled was 31 lbs. 

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
12.5.5  dave-2693993  replied to  Kavika @12.5.2    5 years ago

That's still pretty good.

I think Dad was the master of light weight line.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
13  Tacos!    5 years ago

I suppose there is something of a gray area between The Insult Troll and The Forever Offended Troll. How do we identify the lines separating bad manners vs strong opinions and good manners vs extreme sensitivity?

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
14  seeder  Jasper2529    5 years ago

Sorry, folks. I need to lock this seed. Time to get ready for family dinner. I've enjoyed reading everyone's on topic comments and look forward to more. I will unlock tomorrow. 

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
14.1  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  Jasper2529 @14    5 years ago

We're open for business again.

Please remember our CoC/ToS and ... NO META.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
16  seeder  Jasper2529    5 years ago

The One Word Only Troll

There's always that one contributor to a Facebook status update, a forum thread, and Instagram photo, a   Tumblr post   or any other form of social posting who just says "lol" or "what" or "k" or "yes" or "no." They're certainly far from the worst type of troll you meet online, but when a serious or detailed topic is being discussed, their one-word replies are just a nuisance to all who are trying to add value and follow the discussion.

From my experiences over the years on several venues, this type of troll's "contributions" may also consist of the following even when documented facts and evidence have already been provided:

• Bullshit!
  • Link?
  • Source? 

They remind me of children who seek attention even if it's negative.