U.S. High School Spends $53,000 To Reprint Yearbooks After Students Flash Racist Sign

Via:  pat-wilson  •  one month ago  •  51 comments

U.S. High School Spends $53,000 To Reprint Yearbooks After Students Flash Racist Sign
A high school in a Chicago suburb is spending more than $53,000 to reprint its 2018-2019 yearbook after staff discovered photos inside in which students were flashing the white supremacist “OK” hand sign.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Administrators at Oak Park and River Forest High School released a statement last week notifying parents that they were withholding the yearbooks from distribution after they discovered the photos, according to CBS Chicago.

This week, the Chicago Tribune reported that the high school will pay Jostens $53,794 to reprint the books and that the new versions are expected to be delivered to students by mid-June.

The racist adaptation of the “OK” hand sign began on 4chan ― an anonymous message board frequented by racists, trolls and extremists ― and has since been co-opted by prominent white supremacists who often use it to signal their presence to like-minded extremists. It’s prominent enough that those who use it have been fired from their jobs or faced other consequences ― recently, a Chicago Cubs fan was banned indefinitely from Wrigley Field after flashing the hand sign behind a black reporter during a live broadcast.

While the students’ intent was unclear and the photos weren’t made available, the content was apparently jarring enough that staff felt it necessary to reprint the yearbooks.

An email to parents, from school district Superintendent Joylynn Pruitt-Adams, notes that while the hand gestures could have been in reference to the classic schoolyard made-you-look “circle game,” its use by hateful people and ideologies led to the decision:

We’ve been made aware that this year’s ‘Tabula’ yearbook, which has not yet been distributed, contains several photos of students making a hand gesture that has different meanings. In some cases it’s used in what is known as the circle game. However, the gesture has more recently become associated with white nationalism. Regardless of intent, the potential negative impact of this gesture has led us to decide that we cannot distribute the yearbook as is. We are looking at alternative options, and in the coming days we will share further details about distribution plans. In the meantime, we appreciate your patience and support as we work through this situation.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
Find text within the comments Find 

pat wilson
1  seeder  pat wilson    one month ago

The okay sign is racist ?!?!

Guess I can't use that emoji anymore.jrSmiley_55_smiley_image.gif

Texan1211
1.1  Texan1211  replied to  pat wilson @1    one month ago

There seems to be no end to this silliness.

If someone co-opts a popular symbol, say a Menorah, and uses it to advance causes most people find offensive, does the Menorah become a symbol of something else and need to be removed so as to not offend anyone?

JohnRussell
1.2  JohnRussell  replied to  pat wilson @1    one month ago
We’ve been made aware that this year’s ‘Tabula’ yearbook, which has not yet been distributed, contains several photos of students making a hand gesture that has different meanings.

They would probably be able to let one slip by on the chance it was unintentional. 

So the gesture has different meanings. Ok. Too bad I guess. 

This is kind of like the word "gay" . There was a time when the word simply meant "happy" or "fun". Carefree.  Then everyone used it for homosexual and all of the sudden no one could say  "I had a gay time at the party last weekend" unless they wanted quizzical looks from people. 

Can't play "the circle game" anymore kids. You have the white supremacists to thank for that. 

Texan1211
1.2.1  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2    one month ago
Can't play "the circle game" anymore kids. You have the white supremacists to thank for that.

You may be partly right, but I think people's reactions to such things is a factor, too. We seem to be raising a generation who thinks that they should never be offended by anything, and that if they are in any way, that thing should be removed.

pat wilson
1.2.2  seeder  pat wilson  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2    one month ago

John, when was the last time you used "gay" in a non-gender context ?

JohnRussell
1.2.3  JohnRussell  replied to  pat wilson @1.2.2    one month ago

I don't think I ever did. The word was assigned solely to use for homosexuals somewhere around 1970. There were older people than me though who used it, until they couldnt anymore. 

pat wilson
1.2.4  seeder  pat wilson  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.1    one month ago

Yes, but to be clear there's a huge difference between a well known, universal hand sign and a life size bronze monument to an historical figure that represents a very dark side of our young nation. I think those figures could be moved into a museum that educates visitors to that part of our history.

I'm assuming that was what you were alluding to.

Texan1211
1.2.5  Texan1211  replied to  pat wilson @1.2.4    one month ago
Yes, but to be clear there's a huge difference between a well known, universal hand sign and a life size bronze monument to an historical figure that represents a very dark side of our young nation. I think those figures could be moved into a museum that educates visitors to that part of our history.
I'm assuming that was what you were alluding to.

No, I really wasn't focusing on statues. In today's society, the prevailing attitude seems to be that if someone is offended by something, the thing needs to be removed--whether it is in a book, on television, the radio, in a movie, in a speech, etc. The statues are an example of that kind of thought. And I have no problem with removing Confederate statues to museums. 

pat wilson
1.2.6  seeder  pat wilson  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.5    one month ago

Okay, I appreciate the clarification.

Tacos!
1.2.7  Tacos!  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2.3    one month ago
The word was assigned solely to use for homosexuals somewhere around 1970.

Also Christmas carols. And the Flintstones.

KDMichigan
1.2.8  KDMichigan  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.5    one month ago
And I have no problem with removing Confederate statues to museums. 

That's gay. 

Greg Jones
1.3  Greg Jones  replied to  pat wilson @1    one month ago

I've noticed some of them don't work any more, such as  "I don't know",

and Pinocchio seems to have disappeared.

pat wilson
1.3.1  seeder  pat wilson  replied to  Greg Jones @1.3    one month ago

We need the Pinocchio, damit.

Dismayed Patriot
1.4  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  pat wilson @1    one month ago
The okay sign is racist ?!?!

So no one would have a problem with kids in a year book making some peace signs. But what if you saw your kids yearbook and it had some kids making a peace sign suspiciously close to their mouth and their tongue is out? How something is done can say a lot about its intent. Does anyone really think this issue came up because of a few innocent "okay" signs by one or two students? I rather doubt it. I suspect the offending pictures, when seen by anyone who knew what they were looking for, saw immediately it was an intentional attempt to inject white supremacist ideology and offend other students who likely all knew exactly what the hand signs mean.

Bob Nelson
1.4.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.4    one month ago

Neo-Nazis' online behavior is not a secret. But nice people don't notice. They prefer not to notice.

Nice Germans preferred not to notice, too... Then came Krystallnacht, and it was too late...

Thrawn 31
1.5  Thrawn 31  replied to  pat wilson @1    one month ago

I agree completely! I mean why can't I just toss around

43815427-swastika-symbol-set-buddhist-tr

Like its cool? 

Bob Nelson
1.5.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  Thrawn 31 @1.5    one month ago

original

charger 383
2  charger 383    one month ago

Maybe in the digital age yearbooks are not needed and seem to cause problems years later.

I don't know are yearbooks outdated now?

Tacos!
2.1  Tacos!  replied to  charger 383 @2    one month ago
I don't know are yearbooks outdated now?

The kids still love them, but I think the schools might love them more. They make money with these things now by selling individual pages to students (I've seen $100 or $200) and they still charge for the book itself.

sandy-2021492
2.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  charger 383 @2    one month ago

My son has no interest in one.  My assistant's son has his high school yearbooks, but only because she ordered them for him.  He didn't want them, either.

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
3  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    one month ago

Remember this?

eddie+murphy+as+buckwheat.jpg"O-tay!"

Tacos!
3.1  Tacos!  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @3    one month ago

Just like at that white supremacist!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
4  Perrie Halpern R.A.    one month ago

Why is the school paying for them? Why are not the parent? That is what I did with my kids' yearbook. 

Texan1211
4.1  Texan1211  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4    one month ago

I think the school is just paying for the reprints. I gathered the students pay for their own, but the school is responsible for the reprinting costs because a. the school screwed up and b. the school wanted a reprint.

Sunshine
5  Sunshine    one month ago

I wonder what "thumbs up" means these days?  I better stop using it.

MUVA
5.1  MUVA  replied to  Sunshine @5    one month ago

I can't tell you I will get band.

Sunshine
5.1.1  Sunshine  replied to  MUVA @5.1    one month ago

ha

pat wilson
6  seeder  pat wilson    one month ago

Does anyone know how the okay sign became white supremacist ?

JohnRussell
6.1  JohnRussell  replied to  pat wilson @6    one month ago

CwxuU6gWIAAc_aY.jpg

Richard Spencer, white nationalist leader, the night after Trump was elected president in 2016. 

JohnRussell
6.1.1  JohnRussell  replied to  JohnRussell @6.1    one month ago

https://lifehacker.com/is-this-an-innocent-ok-sign-or-a-white-power-symbol-1825575794

The right-wingers making the OK symbol—the ones who claim they’re not white supremacists—loved the controversy, because hey, it’s just the OK sign! How silly to call such an innocent thing racist! Look, liberals and minorities have made this sign!

So alt-righters and Trump supporters started making the OK sign all over the place, then laughing when people accused them of being racist. “Ha ha!” they went. “Joke’s on you! I’m not racist! I only intentionally made you think I’m racist!” White House intern Jack Breuer made the OK sign in an official class photo, while the other forty-odd people in the photo gave a thumbs-up. When the media asked whether he was flashing it as a white-power sign, he tweeted a sarcastic apology:

In some of our intern pictures, I emulated the OK sign the President sometimes makes. That was foolish. I should have listened more closely to the Commander-in-Chief and given the thumbs up.

I’m proud of my Jewish heritage and strongly reject the hateful views associated with racist white power organizations. I would never make common cause with them.

But according to the Daily Mail, Breuer’s LinkedIn says he interned for former White House advisor, Muslim ban proponent, and career racist Stephen Miller. (Since then, Breuer has apparently scrubbed Miller’s name from his LinkedIn.) Miller’s long history of anti-immigration efforts are completely in line with the goals of white supremacists.

Naturally, Miller has flashed the OK sign in White House photos—or some kind of weirdo version of the OK sign that looks a lot like a white-power gang sign. Coincidence or dog whistle? The Outline asked several sources and couldn’t quite decide.

But whether or not the OK sign ever actually meant “I’m a white supremacist,” in the hands of a Trump supporter, it now means “I’m OK with you thinking I’m a white supremacist, for the sake of a joke.” That’s a bad look. It’s pretty hard to insist you’re not racist when you are trying to trick people into thinking you’re racist.

Texan1211
6.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @6.1    one month ago

So because a white supremacist flashed an okay sign the night after the election, it became a symbol of white supremacy?

That is a stretch.

So when blacks gave the raised fist "black power" sign back in the 60's, it became a symbol of black supremacy?

pat wilson
6.1.3  seeder  pat wilson  replied to  JohnRussell @6.1.1    one month ago

Thank you !

pat wilson
6.1.4  seeder  pat wilson  replied to  JohnRussell @6.1.1    one month ago

I think it's possible that Spencer flashed the "okay" sign simply because he was happy about trump winning. And then the cellar dwelling keyboard warriors co-opted it as their racist symbol.

Texan1211
6.1.5  Texan1211  replied to  pat wilson @6.1.4    one month ago
I think it's possible that Spencer flashed the "okay" sign simply because he was happy about trump winning. And then the cellar dwelling keyboard warriors co-opted it as their racist symbol.

Now that sounds like a perfectly good explanation to me, given the date of the photo.

I do believe that is probably what happened.

Bob Nelson
6.1.6  Bob Nelson  replied to  pat wilson @6.1.4    one month ago
I think it's possible...

That's exactly how it's supposed to work, Pat. You - the average viewer - are not supposed to understand the sub-text.

Neo-Nazis aren't stupid. They recognize the public relations catastrophe that was Charlottseville. They realize that when they are too blatant, they alienate decent people.

There's a wide spectrum on the right, making outright, potentially alienating behavior a negative for Neo-Nazis and their fellow-travelers. Their problem is to push without going too far.

charger 383
7  charger 383    one month ago

For years a lot of restaurant menus have a chef giving the OK sign, will they have to replace them?

The best restaurant supplier around here has a chef giving the OK sign on all their delivery trucks, I thought it meant the food was good    

Badfish H҉a҉n҉d҉ ҉o҉f҉ ҉D҉o҉o҉m҉
8  Badfish H҉a҉n҉d҉ ҉o҉f҉ ҉D҉o҉o҉m҉    one month ago

I see racism everywhere.

pat wilson
8.1  seeder  pat wilson  replied to  Badfish H҉a҉n҉d҉ ҉o҉f҉ ҉D҉o҉o҉m҉ @8    one month ago

But our country went through a period of about 40 years where we became conscious of our prejudices and worked to correct that. It's not like that now. Racism is rampant and freely displayed. We may be approaching anarchism. 

Greg Jones
8.1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  pat wilson @8.1    one month ago
Racism is rampant and freely displayed. We may be approaching anarchism

It's no worse than it ever was and is mostly a manufactured "crisis" promoted by the democrats.

pat wilson
8.1.2  seeder  pat wilson  replied to  Greg Jones @8.1.1    one month ago

I don't know if it's worse but is certainly more visible and in-your-face.

I'm sure it's more visible because of the internet but it's very disturbing to me.

dave-2693993
8.1.3  dave-2693993  replied to  pat wilson @8.1    one month ago
But our country went through a period of about 40 years where we became conscious of our prejudices and worked to correct that. It's not like that now. Racism is rampant and freely displayed. We may be approaching anarchism. 

I hope not, because this is what it looks like:

Ukraine_protests_Maidan_ap_img.jpg

JohnRussell
9  JohnRussell    one month ago

Oak Park is all American type town not far from the western boundaries of the city of Chicago. It has many architecturally significant homes, including some designed by Frank Llloyd Wright. There are a few famous alumni of Oak Park River Forest High School, author Ernest Hemingway, comedian Kathy Griffin, and McDonald's founder Ray Kroc all went to Oak Park River Forest High School. The originator of Tarzan, Edgar Rice Burroughs, was also from Oak Park, as was Dan Castellaneta, the voice of Homer Simpson.  Two more, Betty White and Bob Newhart were born in Oak Park Illinois. Newhart lived in the town through his college years. 

pat wilson
9.1  seeder  pat wilson  replied to  JohnRussell @9    one month ago

I think you meant this for another article.

JohnRussell
9.1.1  JohnRussell  replied to  pat wilson @9.1    one month ago

Not at all. Oak Park River Forest is not the sort of place that would let a racism issue slide. It is one of the original integrated suburbs of Chicago. 

pat wilson
9.1.2  seeder  pat wilson  replied to  JohnRussell @9.1.1    one month ago

The whole point is that the "okay" hand sign is not a racist symbol.

JohnRussell
9.1.3  JohnRussell  replied to  pat wilson @9.1.2    one month ago

It isn't and it is.

Oak Park River Forest is a respectable middle class center left politically community. They want to maintain their reputation. 

Tacos!
10  Tacos!    one month ago
The racist adaptation of the “OK” hand sign began on 4chan ― an anonymous message board frequented by racists, trolls and extremists ― and has since been co-opted by prominent white supremacists

But for the other 99.999% of people who make the sign, it simply means "OK" or some similar positive sentiment. Because of a handful of assholes, the rest of us can't have nice things. That's the knee-jerk response we have come to expect.

By the way, kids are making signs and references all the time, and the woke grownups have no idea what they mean. Heck, they don't even know they're making a sign.

the students’ intent was unclear

And based on that standard, 53 grand worth of taxpayer money was spent to redo the yearbooks and any student identified as making the sign has been shamed as a racist whether they are or not.

the photos weren’t made available

And who believes they never will be? Meanwhile yearbook staff know who the students are, and don't think that won't get around. Heck, even if it doesn't, somebody will just make it up and accuse someone.

notifying parents that they were withholding the yearbooks from distribution after they discovered the photos

Why tell people? Why not just say there was a problem with the printing and keep it vague? Why embarrass the school, the student body, and the community? I bet you this was one kid, maybe two, and because somebody assumed it was racist, now the whole school and the whole town is "that place where the racists live."

Bob Nelson
10.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  Tacos! @10    one month ago

Nobody took the SS seriously, either. A Hitler salute was just another way of saying "Hello!"

And then, Krystallnacht...

America's neo-Nazis know what they're doing. The problem is that the rest of us don't know, and do not want to know. If we really understood what is going on, we would have to take a stand. We do not want that, do we?

Tacos!
10.1.1  Tacos!  replied to  Bob Nelson @10.1    one month ago
Nobody took the SS seriously, either

There are a lot of things people don't take seriously, and it's usually with good reason. Pointing to the nazis isn't very useful as justification for being paranoid about every little thing.

Bob Nelson
10.1.2  Bob Nelson  replied to  Tacos! @10.1.1    one month ago

igknorantzrulz
11  igknorantzrulz    one month ago

he was just relaying Trumppy's underlieing theme,

it;s

OK

to be openly racist again in Trumpps makevit GreatWhite 

again,

n

bite me

like a scalloped