Owners of Noah's Ark replica sue insurers over rain damage

Via:  pat-wilson  •  3 weeks ago  •  57 comments

Owners of Noah's Ark replica sue insurers over rain damage
Owners of Noah's Ark replica sue insurers over rain damage © Ark Encounter The owners of a replica of Noah's Ark featured at the Ark Encounter in Williamstown, Kentucky sued its insurers who refused to cover rain damage.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

The owners of a replica of Noah's Ark featured at the Ark Encounter in Williamstown, Kentucky sued its insurers who refused to cover rain damage. 

The ark's owner said heavy rains in 2017 and 2018 caused a landslide on its property and its five insurance carriers refused to cover damages totaling nearly $1 million. The ark itself was reportedly undamaged in the rains.

Ark Encounter is asking for compensatory and punitive damages and a jury trial in a lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court. The suit names Swiss-based Allied World Assurance Co. Holdings, its use company and three other carriers.

"Subsequent to heavy rains, a significant landslide occurred along portions of the slope, which eliminated the structural support for the roadway, caused significant damage to the road surface itself and the incorporated improvements, and rendered portions of the road unsafe and unfit for use," the suit reads.

The Ark Encounter unveiled its Noah's Ark replica in 2016. It says the dimensions are based on those listed in Genesis in The Bible.

According to The Bible's flood narrative, Noah was instructed by God to build an ark and take two of each animal species, one of each sex, on board to survive a flood that engulfed the entire earth. 

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
Find text within the comments Find 

pat wilson
1  seeder  pat wilson    3 weeks ago

Had to seed this when I saw the title...priceless

TTGA
1.1  TTGA  replied to  pat wilson @1    3 weeks ago

Now that's just funny stuff Pat.  At least the title is; inside the article it says that the boat itself wasn't damaged, just other things on the property.  That tells you something too, about being careful when buying insurance.  Insurance companies don't make a profit by paying off claims, so they will exclude anything they can while still getting paid.  That causes another funny one, at least for those of us who didn't suffer the loss.  What do you want to bet that the insurance company denied the claim because the damage occurred as the result of an Act of God, and was, therefore not covered?

Hmmmmm!!  I wonder what Noah's insurance policy looked like and whether it too excluded acts of God.  jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif

Buzz of the Orient
1.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  TTGA @1.1    3 weeks ago

Insurance or no insurance, it's a good thing the biblical ark survived an Act of God or we wouldn't be here.

pat wilson
1.1.2  seeder  pat wilson  replied to  TTGA @1.1    3 weeks ago

jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif

Dismayed Patriot
1.1.3  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  TTGA @1.1    3 weeks ago
What do you want to bet that the insurance company denied the claim because the damage occurred as the result of an Act of God, and was, therefore not covered?

This is a common misconception, but you won't find "act of God" anywhere in the insurance contract. I have no doubt this claim was denied because virtually every business, rental dwelling or home insurance policy specifically exclude "earthquake, earth movement, sinking, rising, shifting, expanding or contracting of earth whether combined with water or not. Earth movement includes but is not limited to landslide, mudflow, mudslide, sinkhole, subsidence, erosion or movement resulting from improper compaction, site selection or any other external force. Earth movement also includes volcanic expansion or lava flow." Most also exclude "water damage as defined as rising water from outside, flood, surface waters, tidal water, waves, tsunami, seiche, overflow of a body of water or spray from any of these, all whether driven by wind or not".

So in this case, it's pretty clear "a significant landslide occurred along portions of the slope, which eliminated the structural support for the roadway, caused significant damage to the road surface itself and the incorporated improvements, and rendered portions of the road unsafe and unfit for use," would almost certainly be specifically excluded in the policy.

Sadly, even with such clear wording in the contract, if they can get enough conservative fans of the Ark jurors on their side who don't care about the law, they might get an initial award, though they'll inevitably lose on appeal.

Ed-NavDoc
1.1.4  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.1.3    3 weeks ago

I believe the correct term for insurers as it applies is "Act of Nature".

TTGA
1.1.5  TTGA  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.1.3    3 weeks ago
This is a common misconception, but you won't find "act of God" anywhere in the insurance contract.

I know DP.  My wife used to be an agent for Farmer's (you ought to see what their reaction is to selling any kind of wind or flood insurance along the Texas and Florida coasts).  I used Act of God deliberately.  In this context, Act of Nature isn't nearly as funny.

Dismayed Patriot
1.1.6  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.1.4    3 weeks ago
I believe the correct term for insurers as it applies is "Act of Nature".

That's also a term that is almost never used anymore. It is more defensible in a contract, but still too broad a term for most contracts which is what an insurance policy really is. The terminology I used in the above comment is straight out of a major insurers policy booklet though I can't specify who. But as you can see, they are very specific as they know any good attorney would be able to easily poke holes in either "act of god" or "act of nature" exclusions. One could argue that the increased number of storms and their intensity has already been proven to be the effects of man, I could easily see someone claiming the tidal surge that wiped their house out wasn't an act of nature but an act of man. And even if the claimant isn't likely to win the suit, insurance companies prefer to cover their ass by being very specific in the policy wording to limit the ability of any attorney to poke holes in it.

Uptownchick
2  Uptownchick    3 weeks ago

Good one, Pat! 😃

pat wilson
2.1  seeder  pat wilson  replied to  Uptownchick @2    3 weeks ago

How are you Uppy, haven't seen you in a while.

Uptownchick
2.1.1  Uptownchick  replied to  pat wilson @2.1    3 weeks ago

I'm doing okay, thanks for asking. How about yourself? I'm here off and on most days, look me up anytime!

lady in black
3  lady in black    3 weeks ago

It's a boat, it's supposed to get rained on and wet....lol....what idiots.....

Kavika
4  Kavika     3 weeks ago

The insurance would not cover an ''Act of God''.....Ark/rain/flood.....

Noah, you have a bit of a problem here. I suggest you discuss this with your maker. 

ark-encounter-wallpaper-lum.png

charger 383
5  charger 383    3 weeks ago

This Ark thing just keeps getting stranger

Badfish H҉a҉n҉d҉ ҉o҉f҉ ҉D҉o҉o҉m҉
6  Badfish H҉a҉n҉d҉ ҉o҉f҉ ҉D҉o҉o҉m҉    3 weeks ago

I have so many questions about the ark. How did they keep the lions from eating the zebras and how was the earth populated by Noah and his family. Is incest why we all suffer from so many health issues?

Was the T-Rex on board?

Buzz of the Orient
6.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Badfish H҉a҉n҉d҉ ҉o҉f҉ ҉D҉o҉o҉m҉ @6    3 weeks ago

Because I consider the Old Testament to be allegorical, it would be fun to speculate on what the story actually represents.  For example, was the ark actually a spaceship from a dying planet that transported living creatures from another planet because the Earth had suffered a cataclysmic disaster?

Dismayed Patriot
6.1.1  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.1    3 weeks ago

"Take with you seven pairs of every kind of clean animal, a male and its mate, and one pair of every kind of unclean animal, a male and its mate" Genesis 7:2

What I find interesting is that this is supposedly being written by Moses apparently thousands of years after the flood, but he uses a term for "clean animal" which meant they were okay to eat, they were "kosher", which is perhaps why he said there were 14 of each of those animals instead of just 2. Besides the logistics of having 14 of every domesticated animal along with the 2 of each of the other thousands of species, why did Noah know they were "clean" before Noah had written the Mosaic law that defined kosher animals and how to prepare them?

"The fear and dread of you will fall on all the beasts of the earth, and on all the birds in the sky, on every creature that moves along the ground, and on all the fish in the sea; they are given into your hands. Everything that lives and moves about will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything." Genesis 9:2-3

So Noah supposedly knew which animals were "clean" to eat (so he could gather 7 pairs of them) before being allowed to eat animals at all?

There really are so many holes in the flood story it's hard to take literalists seriously.

Buzz of the Orient
6.1.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @6.1.1    3 weeks ago
"There really are so many holes in the flood story it's hard to take literalists seriously."

As there is in all biblical stories, but as I said above, I consider them to be allegorical, and it is up to each reader to determine what it means to them. 

Split Personality
6.1.3  Split Personality  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.1    3 weeks ago

Why would "they" bring survivors of one "natural disaster" to a planet which would have it's own natural disaster.

Doesn't sound logical...

Or perhaps it was a tale of what happened on another planet and the survivors and their tale came here?

Damn, what are we going to do with all of that DNA and evolutionary fossil evidence?

Sorry...

Buzz of the Orient
6.1.4  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Split Personality @6.1.3    3 weeks ago

Come on SP, use your imagination, fantasize - could the flood be an allegory for the ice age that killed off the dinosaurs? 

charger 383
6.1.5  charger 383  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.1    3 weeks ago
was the ark actually a spaceship from a dying planet

that is a different idea

pat wilson
6.1.6  seeder  pat wilson  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.1.4    3 weeks ago
could the flood be an allegory for the ice age that killed off the dinosaurs? 

If it was the ice age I don't think there would have been a human to noah about the flood.

Buzz of the Orient
6.1.7  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  pat wilson @6.1.6    3 weeks ago

Facts, facts, nobody's happy unless they have factual proof.  Walt Disney would go out of business....

MrFrost
6.1.8  MrFrost  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.1.4    3 weeks ago
Come on SP, use your imagination, fantasize - could the flood be an allegory for the ice age that killed off the dinosaurs? 

Uptownchick
6.2  Uptownchick  replied to  Badfish H҉a҉n҉d҉ ҉o҉f҉ ҉D҉o҉o҉m҉ @6    3 weeks ago

noahs-ark-animals.jpg

h12289B69

pat wilson
6.3  seeder  pat wilson  replied to  Badfish H҉a҉n҉d҉ ҉o҉f҉ ҉D҉o҉o҉m҉ @6    3 weeks ago
Was the T-Rex on board?

Not sure, I googled images and saw Velociraptors on the boat, lol.

Uptownchick
6.3.1  Uptownchick  replied to  pat wilson @6.3    3 weeks ago

z7AnaufSLCSH25t0ENP2TArtfaTrspgn5DadFBq8

Perrie Halpern R.A.
6.3.2  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Uptownchick @6.3.1    3 weeks ago

LMAO.. best laugh of the day

TTGA
6.4  TTGA  replied to  Badfish H҉a҉n҉d҉ ҉o҉f҉ ҉D҉o҉o҉m҉ @6    3 weeks ago

And how did Noah restrict the rabbits to "just two"?  In rabbit math 1+1=40.

how was the earth populated by Noah and his family.

Fish, if you have a problem figuring that out, I used to know a guy down at the community college in Houston who could contact the 7th grade sex ed teacher in your town to help explain it to you.  (Yeah, I know you meant about incest, but that one was just too good to resist.)

epistte
6.5  epistte  replied to  Badfish H҉a҉n҉d҉ ҉o҉f҉ ҉D҉o҉o҉m҉ @6    3 weeks ago
I have so many questions about the ark. How did they keep the lions from eating the zebras and how was the earth populated by Noah and his family. Is incest why we all suffer from so many health issues? Was the T-Rex on board?

Were there unicorns and Sasquatch on the Ark?

6.5.1  Badfish H҉a҉n҉d҉ ҉o҉f҉ ҉D҉o҉o҉m҉  replied to  epistte @6.5    3 weeks ago

Sasquatch is not real, it turns out it was just Janet from accounting.

TTGA
6.5.2  TTGA  replied to  Badfish H҉a҉n҉d҉ ҉o҉f҉ ҉D҉o҉o҉m҉ @6.5.1    3 weeks ago
it turns out it was just Janet from accounting.

Yeah, as she got older, she stopped shaving.

Kavika
7  Kavika     3 weeks ago

862ed69344d69acd2cd771074bb8ab01.jpg

Raven Wing
7.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Kavika @7    3 weeks ago

TTGA
7.2  TTGA  replied to  Kavika @7    3 weeks ago
Stroke, stroke, stroke; bail, bail, bail.

Quotation from Rocky the Flying Squirrel, 1962.

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
9  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    3 weeks ago

charger 383
10  charger 383    3 weeks ago

He should not have left his toy out in the rain

TᵢG
11  TᵢG    3 weeks ago

This is too funny - at least at the optics level.

If only the damage was done to the ark itself.   Would like to hear Ken Ham explain that away.    

Expect Ham to now spin this and point out how, by following God's construction instructions (which they did not actually follow), the ark is demonstrably sound against rain.

Ed-NavDoc
12  Ed-NavDoc    3 weeks ago

I just want to know what happened to the unicorns?

Split Personality
12.1  Split Personality  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @12    3 weeks ago

Same thing that happened to saber tooth tigers and Woolly Mammoths

DoDo birds and thousands, if not millions of other species...

cjcold
12.1.1  cjcold  replied to  Split Personality @12.1    3 weeks ago

And they all tasted pretty good.

pat wilson
12.2  seeder  pat wilson  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @12    3 weeks ago

They were horsing around and missed the boat !

Raven Wing
12.2.1  Raven Wing  replied to  pat wilson @12.2    3 weeks ago
If it was the ice age I don't think there would have been a human to noah about the flood.

jrSmiley_81_smiley_image.gifjrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif

Ed-NavDoc
12.2.2  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  pat wilson @12.2    3 weeks ago

Yeah, I loved that song by The Irish Rovers.

ArkansasHermit-too
12.2.3  ArkansasHermit-too  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @12.2.2    3 weeks ago
Yeah, I loved that song by The Irish Rovers

The Unicorn Song?

The Unicorn Song - The Irish Rovers - With Lyrics

Ed-NavDoc
12.2.4  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  ArkansasHermit-too @12.2.3    3 weeks ago

My thanks.

Raven Wing
12.2.5  Raven Wing  replied to  ArkansasHermit-too @12.2.3    3 weeks ago

Thank you for posting this song. It's a really great song. I wish there were more of those kind of songs today. I am not into Rap at all, and the rest of the songs today are really just a 'peat and repeat' kind of nonsense. And some are just down right depressing. Ugh!

JMOO

TTGA
12.2.6  TTGA  replied to  Raven Wing @12.2.5    3 weeks ago

Seems to be different now Raven.  Of course, back in our day we all lived in a yellow submarine and never stepped on anybody's blue suede shoes.  We also always wore cool shades like this.jrSmiley_100_smiley_image.jpg

Ed-NavDoc
12.2.7  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  TTGA @12.2.6    3 weeks ago

I'm a child of the 60's and 70's. That is what I grew up with and to me that is real music. I cannot even relate to what today passes for music. To my grandkids I am the proverbial dinosaur...

Raven Wing
12.2.8  Raven Wing  replied to  TTGA @12.2.6    3 weeks ago

Yeah.....and I remember the Lady & The Tramp skirts. Never wore them, but, a lot of girls at school did. While I enjoyed the movie, they were just too inane for me. (grin)

bbl-1
13  bbl-1    3 weeks ago

If I am not mistaken, this 'religious display' was basically paid for by the local taxpayers.  If this is indeed the case, then it is the local taxpayers that are in line to get 'the christian shrift' again.  It is their boat.  Ante up, people.  The Ham folk will cherish and bless all they receive.

pat wilson
13.1  seeder  pat wilson  replied to  bbl-1 @13    3 weeks ago

It was donors and tax incentives, so yes the taxpayer took a hit.

Split Personality
14  Split Personality    3 weeks ago

5 carriers declined the claim(s). 

Sounds like collusion,

but we all know collusion doesn't exist and certainly is not a crime.

/s

devangelical
15  devangelical    3 weeks ago

they thought it was funny when they opted out of the flood insurance. tough shit

MrFrost
16  MrFrost    3 weeks ago

So....was there a second ark that served as a giant litter box? 

17  Badfish H҉a҉n҉d҉ ҉o҉f҉ ҉D҉o҉o҉m҉    3 weeks ago

The creationists that were on the ark at the time of the rain thought they were literally at sea. They began yelling, "Noah, we are taking on water!" After god refused to answer their prayers they jumped off the ark to their deaths.

sandy-2021492
18  sandy-2021492    3 weeks ago

jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif