╌>

Edited Pelosi video highlights concerns about misinformation and elections

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  5 years ago  •  122 comments

Edited Pelosi video highlights concerns about misinformation and elections
As technology makes it harder to tell what’s real and what’s fake online, experts warn that public opinion could be manipulated through skillfully edited videos.
Article is LOCKED by moderator [smarty_function_ntUser_get_name: user_id or profile_id parameter required]
[]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    5 years ago

It used to be you could trust a picture, now you can't even trust a video. Further proof:

With viral spreading and distrust, now what? 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    5 years ago

For decades now, the Democrats have become experts at using the lie and the smear, and playing dirty politics.

How can anything more obvious than the tactics they used during the Kavanaugh hearings, and this whole Mueller investigation hoax

Now that the Republicans are beating them at their own game, they're crying foul and saying it's not fair.

I think its hilarious. Trump has picked up on this and is using it to his advantage.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
1.1.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1    5 years ago

[Removed]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.1.2  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1    5 years ago

Greg,

That has nothing to do with this topic. We are talking about something that is very dangerous. Regardless of party, this can do great harm. 

Look at the potential danger here.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
1.1.3  Thrawn 31  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.1.2    5 years ago

[members are not the topic]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.2  Tessylo  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    5 years ago

This latest nonsense against Ms. Pelosi and the fake news is being spread by the 'president'

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
1.3  Thrawn 31  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    5 years ago

As I have been saying, social media is ruining us as a species. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.3.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Thrawn 31 @1.3    5 years ago

Indeed.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
2  pat wilson    5 years ago

The great gas lighting of the USA. The citizens of this country better get smarter very soon or we will all be asking "What are we doing in this basket and where are we going ?" 

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
2.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  pat wilson @2    5 years ago

Too late! Make your money now and get into the protected class ASAP!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.2  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  pat wilson @2    5 years ago
"What are we doing in this basket and where are we going ?" 

LOL, Pat. That was my tag line when I was on NV. Great minds!

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
3  Raven Wing    5 years ago

It just shows the lengths that some people will go to in their endeavor to try to smear their opponent. However, in the end, they are the ones who will look the fool. 

As the old saying goes, "O, what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive!"

And it also shows the acute level of desperation of the person engaging in such practice. 

Funny thing about truth.....no matter how you paint its face to try to hide it, truth always finds a way to clear itself. Some people seem to never learn that lesson. 

pat wilson
Professor Participates
3.1  pat wilson  replied to  Raven Wing @3    5 years ago

Great post !

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
3.1.1  Raven Wing  replied to  pat wilson @3.1    5 years ago

Thanks Pat. (smile)

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.1.2  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Raven Wing @3.1.1    5 years ago

second that!

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
3.2  Bob Nelson  replied to  Raven Wing @3    5 years ago
And it also shows the acute level of desperation of the person engaging in such practice. 

This seems s-o-o-o obvious. I would be ashamed to do this kind of deception... and moreover, I would be ashamed to be associated with the perps.

Sadly, we've seen many NT "conservatives" justify the practice.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
3.2.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Bob Nelson @3.2    5 years ago

True. I think many of them only support Trump because he now has an R after his name instead of a D. Many of them would support anyone, or anything, that has an R after their name, even if the R stood for Rabid.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
3.2.3  Thrawn 31  replied to    5 years ago

[Removed]

Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו
Junior Participates
3.2.4  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to    5 years ago
I don't or will not support any person with a D behind their name never ever.

I'll give the Dems a heads-up so they won't be too shocked.  

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.2.5  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to    5 years ago
I don't or will not support any person with a D behind their name never ever.

Then you are a partisan and you can't ever complain about your counterparts. 

I prefer to leave myself free to vote for the best person, not a party. 

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
3.2.6  Thrawn 31  replied to  Thrawn 31 @3.2.3    5 years ago

[deleted]

bugsy
Professor Participates
4  bugsy    5 years ago

So doing the same about President Trump is perfectly OK to the left ,correct?

Perrie, you allow altered pictures of the President to stay on here, especially the one with him playing golf with a stain on his rear, and say absolutely nothing about them, but for some reason you have a problem with altered pictures/videos of Pelosi...and you call yourself an independent.

You really do post like one s/

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
4.1  Greg Jones  replied to  bugsy @4    5 years ago

You really do post like one s/

Have to agree.

And then there are all the derogatory pics of Trump used to headline various seeds....that are used over and over and over, that are always allowed 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.1.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Greg Jones @4.1    5 years ago
And then there are all the derogatory pics of Trump used to headline various seeds....that are used over and over and over, that are always allowed 

Wow, you guys just don't get it. It's not about Pelosi. It is about the ability to alter the video. Frankly, I am not a fan of hers. Anyone who knows me knows that. 

Look at the big picture for goodness sakes. 

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
4.1.2  mocowgirl  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.1.1    5 years ago
Look at the big picture for goodness sakes. 

And?  What should be done about this?  

Once we start making laws about lying about (altering) what people said on videos, should we also make stricter laws about lies written about what people have done and said in the press and elsewhere?

How far should US government go in addressing lies in US media and how should this be accomplished so that it is effective?

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
4.1.3  Bob Nelson  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.1.1    5 years ago

Two possibilities, Perrie...

First, they may not be able to stay on topic - short attention span.

Second, they intentionally change the topic, to avoid having to criticize an obviously odious practice because they are perfectly happy with it. It's yet another assault on democracy.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.1.4  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  mocowgirl @4.1.2    5 years ago
And?  What should be done about this?  

We need to be more alert to possible foreign forgeries. If it is done by a party or specific political group, it is libel and charges should be brought

Once we start making laws about lying about (altering) what people said on videos, should we also make stricter laws about lies written about what people have done and said in the press and elsewhere?

Why do we need laws? There are laws on the book about this already. And yes, the media should be included.

How far should US government go in addressing lies in US media and how should this be accomplished so that it is effective?

It's rather simple. If the media is caught, they are charged with libel and copyright infringement. 

Junior Participates
4.2  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  bugsy @4    5 years ago

"Oh, it's whinin' time again, la-la-la-la-la" * 

Wow, you people and your thin skin.  Can dish it out but sure can't take it.  

*apologies and props to Ray Charles

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
4.3  Thrawn 31  replied to  bugsy @4    5 years ago

It isn't okay at all, but it will be the future regardless. As a species we are totally fucked, we are already and will be even more at the mercy of those who control social media. The deed is done, 1984 is upon us. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.4  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  bugsy @4    5 years ago

Whoa! Don't put words in my mouth. I think that is equally wrong. 

We all know alter pictures have been done, and they are pretty easy to spot. Both parties had it done to them.

And this is not about Pelosi. It is about the video alterations that are dangerous. If there was one recently about Trump, I would have posted it. 

And don't get snarky with me. 

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
4.4.1  mocowgirl  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.4    5 years ago
It is about the video alterations that are dangerous.

What lies aren't dangerous?  What makes video alterations more dangerous than rumors and gossip that are founded on lies if people believe them?  How do we know who and what to trust in or out of government?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.4.2  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  mocowgirl @4.4.1    5 years ago
What lies aren't dangerous? 

All lies are dangerous

What makes video alterations more dangerous than rumors and gossip that are founded on lies if people believe them? 

Because we are mentally trained to believe what we see on video and to trust it more.. you know a picture is worth more than a 100 words, what is a video worth?

How do we know who and what to trust in or out of government?

Good question. I don't trust the government. I also don't trust foreign ones either. 

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
4.4.3  mocowgirl  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.4.2    5 years ago
I don't trust the government. I also don't trust foreign ones either. 

Governments are made up by people.  In the case of the US - lots and lots of people.  How did all of those people get elected if they are not trustworthy?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.4.4  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  mocowgirl @4.4.3    5 years ago
Governments are made up by people.  In the case of the US - lots and lots of people.  How did all of those people get elected if they are not trustworthy?

The individual people may or may not be trustworthy. The aggregate of government, including out clandestine depts. are what I don't trust, and no one voted for them. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

I'm sorry, I cannot believe that deceptive or smearing videos/pictures and false news are used only by one side of the aisle.  I am truly disappointed in persons whom I respect for making such an accusation. 

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
5.1  mocowgirl  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5    5 years ago
I'm sorry, I cannot believe that deceptive or smearing videos/pictures and false news are used only by one side of the aisle.  I am truly disappointed in persons whom I respect for making such an accusation. 

I completely agree.  Playing dirty in politics has happened as long as there has been people willing to do anything to attain power and keep it.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
5.1.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  mocowgirl @5.1    5 years ago
Playing dirty in politics has happened as long as there has been people willing to do anything to attain power and keep it.

In your opinion is such behavior socially useful or not?

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
5.1.2  mocowgirl  replied to  Bob Nelson @5.1.1    5 years ago
In your opinion is such behavior socially useful or not?

In your opinion, is it ethical to manipulate others for self gain?

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
5.1.3  Bob Nelson  replied to  mocowgirl @5.1.2    5 years ago
... is it ethical to manipulate others for self gain?

No.

Now will you answer my question?

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
5.1.4  mocowgirl  replied to  Bob Nelson @5.1.3    5 years ago
No. Now will you answer my question?

You just did.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
5.1.5  Bob Nelson  replied to  mocowgirl @5.1.4    5 years ago
You just did.

No. I gave my opinion. I asked yours.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
5.1.7  Bob Nelson  replied to  Release The Kraken @5.1.6    5 years ago

Obsession is unhealthy, Badfish.

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
5.2  mocowgirl  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5    5 years ago
I cannot believe that deceptive or smearing videos/pictures and false news are used only by one side of the aisle. 

You are 100% correct.

During Bill Clinton's reign as president, the federal government spent over 120 million taxpayer dollars to create government infomercials distributed as non-biased news.  This propaganda continued under Bush and was exposed in 2005.

The article also cites that it is LEGAL for the US government to spread propaganda in foreign countries, but ILLEGAL to do so in the US.

Fake News in the United States

In March 2005, the   New York Times   revealed that there has been a large amount of fake and prepackaged news created by US government departments, such as the Pentagon, the State Department and others, and disseminated through the mainstream media. The   New York Times   noted a number of important issues including:

• The US Bush administration has   aggressively   used public relations to prepackage news. Issues with this have included that:
    • A number of these government-made news segments are made to look like local news (either by the government department or by the receiving broadcaster);
    • Sometimes these reports have   fake reporters   such as when a   reporter   covering airport safety was actually a public relations professional working under a false name for the Transportation Security Administration ;
    • Other times, there is no mention that a video segment is produced by the government;
    • Where there is some attribution, news stations simply rebroadcast them but sometimes without attributing the source.
  • These segments have reached millions;
  • This benefits both the government and the broadcaster;
  • This could amount to propaganda within the United States as well as internationally.

Effectively, American tax payers have paid to be subjected to propaganda disseminated through these massaged messaged.

Citing the   New York Times   at length:

(This all actually started with the Clinton administration, and has increased tremendously in breadth and scope with the Bush administration.  The Bush administration spent $254 million in its first term on public relations contracts, nearly double what the last Clinton administration spent,  the  Time  also notes.)

Illegal US Domestic Propaganda but Legal International Propaganda?

The above-mentioned strategy by the Bush administration to emphasize positive views of American efforts in Afghanistan and Iraq reveals some deeper issues hinted to, but not explored by the   Times   article:

United States law contains provisions intended to prevent the domestic dissemination of government propaganda. The 1948 Smith-Mundt Act, for example,   allows Voice of America to broadcast pro-government news to foreign audiences, but not at home .
David Barstow and Robin Stein,   Under Bush, a New Age of Prepackaged TV News , New York Times, March 13, 2005

While further above it was noted that domestic propaganda may be a problem here, so too is the admission that propaganda to foreign audiences is ok.

In the past the US has (rightly) criticized other governments for interfering with democratic processes in other countries (such as warning Russia about interfering in recent Ukraine elections.) Yet, the Voice of America is also disseminating US government views into other countries.

But it is not just Voice of America.   USA Today   revealed (December 14, 2005) that   the Pentagon plans to place pro-American messages in foreign media outlets without disclosing the US government as the source   as part of a $300 million psychological warfare operation. A fear raised now is that people may become more suspicious of the open press.

Junior Participates
5.2.1  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  mocowgirl @5.2    5 years ago

I hope we can at least agree that there's a distinction between a government putting out factual promotional information for its programs and a government issuing blatantly false propaganda to, for example, justify a war based on lies.  

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
5.2.2  mocowgirl  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @5.2.1    5 years ago
I hope we can at least agree that there's a distinction between a government putting out factual promotional information for its programs and a government issuing blatantly false propaganda to, for example, justify a war based on lies.  

Nope.  If the government uses actors & scripts to promote an agenda as unbiased news, then why should this be acceptable?

The POTUS can address his/her "factual" agenda via media in news conferences 24/7....as can other politicians.

Why should taxpayer dollars be used to fund infomercials disguised as unbiased news?  This is deceptive at the very least and a blatant waste of taxpayer dollars.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5.2.3  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  mocowgirl @5.2.2    5 years ago
Why should taxpayer dollars be used to fund infomercials disguised as unbiased news?  This is deceptive at the very least and a blatant waste of taxpayer dollars.

I have to agree with you there!

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
5.3  Thrawn 31  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5    5 years ago
I'm sorry, I cannot believe that deceptive or smearing videos/pictures and false news are used only by one side of the aisle. 

Within 10 years it will be the norm. Honestly by the 2028 election we actually won't have any idea who we are voting for or if the candidate is actually a real person. 

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
5.3.1  mocowgirl  replied to  Thrawn 31 @5.3    5 years ago
Honestly by the 2028 election we actually won't have any idea who we are voting for or if the candidate is actually a real person. 

There have always been smear campaigns in US politics from the first elections to the last one.  Unless the US voters suddenly develop a zero tolerance for lies, why would any of this ever change?

I wonder if it will even have much impact in view of the real history of the politicians that the voters have elected to represent us and our interests.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
5.3.2  Thrawn 31  replied to  mocowgirl @5.3.1    5 years ago
There have always been smear campaigns in US politics from the first elections to the last one.  Unless the US voters suddenly develop a zero tolerance for lies, why would any of this ever change?

But there have never been smear campaigns with a video of a person saying things and that video being completely manufactured. And I am not talking about splicing clips together, I am talking about what was posted above. If you post that video with no context, people and the media are going to initially treat it as legit. By the time the truth comes out it is too late. We are not just talking about lies, we are talking about purely artificial realities. We have started to develop technology that is smarter than we are, that our brains cannot distinguish between real and fake because fake looks so real. 

I wonder if it will even have much impact in view of the real history of the politicians that the voters have elected to represent us and our interests.

Again, this is completely different from what you are talking about. And that is only with elections. Imagine a government using the basic tech in the video, making a video saying the US is currently launching air strikes against Iran, and feeding it out over social media. There is a very real possibility that in the initial moments of confusion (especially with this dip shit president) someone could panic and make a historically bad decision. Thanks to social media, terrorism has never been so easy. 

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
5.3.3  mocowgirl  replied to  Thrawn 31 @5.3.2    5 years ago
Thanks to social media, terrorism has never been so easy. 

Ok.  What do you propose be done about it?

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
5.3.4  Thrawn 31  replied to  mocowgirl @5.3.3    5 years ago

Nothing can be done. Pandora's box has been opened. Every idiot who has a brain fart can now air that fart on a global scale, and other will act on it. Weather the storm as best you can. 

lib50
Professor Silent
5.3.5  lib50  replied to  Thrawn 31 @5.3.4    5 years ago

I'm hoping the younger generations will be able to handle this better than mine is.   Somehow we've descended into stupid, where ignorance is a virtue, lies acceptable,  and people are proud to embrace hate.  I see much less of that in the young.   I just hope we can survive this disaster of our own making.

To address the 'both sides' argument, that might have been possible in the past, but the way things are now, no.  Trump has taken this to a whole new level, and it can't be minimized by the false equivalencies. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5.3.6  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Thrawn 31 @5.3    5 years ago
Within 10 years it will be the norm. Honestly by the 2028 election we actually won't have any idea who we are voting for or if the candidate is actually a real person. 

Exactly.

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
5.3.7  mocowgirl  replied to  Thrawn 31 @5.3    5 years ago
Honestly by the 2028 election we actually won't have any idea who we are voting for

When did we?

How many voters knew JFK was a serial adulterer?  

How many voters knew Nixon was an unsavory character?

If voters actually knew who they were voting for, they might demand better choices.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
5.3.8  Thrawn 31  replied to  lib50 @5.3.5    5 years ago
I'm hoping the younger generations will be able to handle this better than mine is. 

We are still human so don't count on it. Technology has far eclipsed evolution. 

Somehow we've descended into stupid, where ignorance is a virtue, lies acceptable,  and people are proud to embrace hate

I think we have always been that way to a degree, as a survival mechanism. Killing a perceived threat is better than that threat killing you sort of thing. 

I see much less of that in the young.  

That is the one bright spot I see for our species. One of the only things outside of my family that warms my heart is seeing groups of students walking around. Because there will be a white guy, a black guy, a hispanic girl, and an asian girl all just walking along and shooting the shit like they are clones of each other. Race is not even an afterthought. That is the only hope I have for our species, that we can all realize that we are essentially clones with minor differences. 

I just hope we can survive this disaster of our own making.

We will be long dead before our species has to deal with that, thank your grand and great grandpaents kids!

To address the 'both sides' argument, that might have been possible in the past, but the way things are now, no.  Trump has taken this to a whole new level, and it can't be minimized by the false equivalencies. 

Exactly, we as a society and species are totally fucked. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5.3.9  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  lib50 @5.3.5    5 years ago

This is not about Trump. This is about the dangers of video alterations. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5.3.10  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  mocowgirl @5.3.7    5 years ago
If voters actually knew who they were voting for, they might demand better choices.

Sadly, I doubt that for partisans. They vote party and not individual. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5.4  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5    5 years ago

Buzz,

What are you talking about? That is not what this article is about. Nowhere does it say that it is being used by one side alone. It is about the danger of video alterations. 

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
5.4.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.4    5 years ago

Some people have so completely indoctrinated themselves that everything that their particular party or group is good by definition. They have no ability to think critically. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5.4.2  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Thrawn 31 @5.4.1    5 years ago

Exactly.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
5.4.3  Thrawn 31  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.4.2    5 years ago

The sad part is that for them it was voluntary, for their grand kids it will be mandatory. 

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
5.5  Bob Nelson  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5    5 years ago
I cannot believe that deceptive or smearing videos/pictures and false news are used only by one side of the aisle.

The seed doesn't say that, Buzz.

Why do you presume that it does? Is it easier to imagine dirty tricks from the party of Tricky Dick, Swiftboating, and ratfucking? Yeah... it is much easier...

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
7  Greg Jones    5 years ago

I mean....Hillary was coughing her head off, she had spells of uncontrollable head bobbing, and was stumbling around and falling frequently.

We were worried about her health and fitness to serve.

With Pelosi, it's that maniacal and glazed look in her eyes that has us concerned.

Junior Participates
7.1  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Greg Jones @7    5 years ago
With Pelosi, it's that maniacal and glazed look in her eyes that has us concerned.

She really does scare you, doesn't she.  Is it just the fact that she's a strong woman who can't be bowed or that she's running rings around *president* Shitbag?  

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
7.1.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @7.1    5 years ago

It's amusing in a way. I've often asked why a person is so horrified by Pelosi. I have never received an answer concerning her policies or political action. The answer is always about her looks, voice, clothes, ...

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
7.2  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Greg Jones @7    5 years ago

I don't like the woman, but come on... She's no dimwit. 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
8  It Is ME    5 years ago

Technology is NOT a good idea anymore. jrSmiley_98_smiley_image.gif

We've been Duped ……. Literally ! jrSmiley_100_smiley_image.jpg

Junior Participates
8.1  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  It Is ME @8    5 years ago
We've been Duped ……. Literally !

Is there another way to be duped that's just figurative? 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
8.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @8.1    5 years ago

"Flowery" !

It's on the internet, It's True !

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
8.2  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  It Is ME @8    5 years ago
Technology is NOT a good idea anymore.

Not the topic, but thanks for playing.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
9  Tessylo    5 years ago

Some are easily duped

Junior Participates
9.1  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Tessylo @9    5 years ago
Some are easily duped

Many are actually eager to be duped, voilà:  Le Sac De Merde à La Maison Blanche.

Junior Participates
10  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו    5 years ago

With respect to Perrie, this altered video was so poorly and desperately done and disseminated that it took about a millisecond for the internet to debunk it.  I'm sure Putin's thugs and Shitbag's domestic accomplices  have much better stuff in store for us over the next 18 months.  

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
10.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @10    5 years ago
I'm sorry, I cannot believe that deceptive or smearing videos/pictures and false news are used only by one side of the aisle. 

OMG if I were Putin or Xi I would directing massive amounts of money to AI R&D with the sole goal being to run fake candidates in American elections within the next 10 years. Start running AI social media candidates, while at the same time attacking and degrading institutions like the media, and you could reasonably get the American electorate to elect a person that doesn't exist outside of Twitter. How hilarious would that swearing in ceremony be? 

And no I have absolutely no faith in the American people to do the right or smart thing. 

Junior Participates
10.1.1  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Thrawn 31 @10.1    5 years ago
And no I have absolutely no faith in the American people to do the right or smart thing. 

And a certain political party is banking on the laziness and gullibility of enough of the American people not to even read summaries of a report that shows that the "president" of the United States engaged in multiple acts of obstruction to prevent discovery of his eager acceptance of help from a hostile foreign country to get elected.  If we really are now seeing the seeds end of the republic it's going to be what we deserve.  

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
10.1.2  Thrawn 31  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @10.1.1    5 years ago
And a certain political party

Honestly this goes beyond political parties, they will both do it. This is about our basic survival as a country or species. At some point we have to be able to tell what is real or not and political expediency demands that "victory"trumps all. 

If we really are now seeing the seeds end of the republic it's going to be what we deserve.  

We are and we do. I have been saying it for a little bit now, our republic is finished. It is dying a slow death (although now greatly accelerated) and hopefully history will treat us fairly kindly.

But our republic is dying due to exactly what the founders feared, that the people are too stupid to make intelligent choices. Humans are of course a hierarchical social species, so we are naturally drawn to "strong" leaders and general subservience to authority. The founders knew this and knew that if it were left to the general masses we would end up with a king, so they initially tried to defend against that.  Hence the electoral college and the idea that only land owning men could vote (the idea was that they were obviously more mentally competent). But the arc of history is long, and apparently points towards dictatorship. Our republic is in its dying days, so a toast to our success on the eve of failure. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
10.1.3  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @10.1.1    5 years ago

The topic is altering videos. Please stay on topic. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
10.2  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @10    5 years ago
With respect to Perrie, this altered video was so poorly and desperately done and disseminated that it took about a millisecond for the internet to debunk it.  I'm sure Putin's thugs and Shitbag's domestic accomplices  have much better stuff in store for us over the next 18 months.  

It is the later that I am concerned about. 

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
11  The Magic 8 Ball    5 years ago

people do not get their ideology from social media.

and no vote was ever changed by a meme.

aint free speech just a pain in the ass like that?   LOL

cheers :)

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
11.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @11    5 years ago

Yes they do. Why are politicians and PACs on social media then? 

and no vote was ever changed by a meme.

Many have been and many more will be, do not overestimate the intelligence of your fellow citizens. 

aint free speech just a pain in the ass like that?   LOL

Kinda like tolerance. Eventually free speech will be the death of itself. 

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
11.1.1  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Thrawn 31 @11.1    5 years ago
Yes they do.

no.. they don't. people do not change ideology as often as their underwear/

regardless of how creative, no meme or slowed video will ever change my vote to D

not a single vote was changed by anything anyone on this or any other site has ever said online and not one vote will be changed by this either   it is just fun to watch

lib50
Professor Silent
11.1.2  lib50  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @11.1.1    5 years ago

So party identity is more important than what they stand for.  No need for any in-depth thought,  as long as the 'enemy leftist' is the 'loser',   its a win, collateral damage be damned.

But other people are impacted by the lies and bullshit.  Nobody should be ok with that gaslighting.

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
11.1.3  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  lib50 @11.1.2    5 years ago
party identity is more important than what they stand for. 

• no meme changes a persons mind from secure borders to open borders
  • no slowed video will get someone to support shit trade deals
  • nothing on social media will ever make someone switch from nationalist to globalists.
  • and nothing on social media will make someone switch from socialist to capitalist either.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
11.1.4  Thrawn 31  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @11.1.1    5 years ago
no.. they don't. people do not change ideology as often as their underwear/

Yes they do. Just throw in or take out the word "tax". People are fucking stupid.

regardless of how creative, no meme or slowed video will ever change my vote to D

Given the video above, how would you know? How would you know who you are actually voting for, what their actual policies are, or what they have actually said and done? 

not a single vote was changed by anything anyone on this or any other site has ever said online and not one vote will be changed by this either 

100% positive in saying you are wrong. Again, you are thinking that people are smarter than they are. 

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
11.1.5  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Thrawn 31 @11.1.4    5 years ago
100% positive in saying you are wrong.

think what ya like.... but tell me how many times has a meme changed your mind about who to vote for?

if people were all that influential trump would not have won. period.  the entire internet and lamestream media said trump had no chance... so why did everyone not believe the media?  most are not that stupid. sure some are that stupid but not enough to worry about.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
11.1.6  Thrawn 31  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @11.1.5    5 years ago
think what ya like.

Do you, honest to your god, believe that the vast majority of voters follow elections closely, look over policy points and proposals, sit down with their reps and discuss support and concerns with them, and base their votes on those conversations? 

but tell me how many times has a meme changed your mind about who to vote for?

I am stupid, but I am not a moron. A self-defeating statement I know, but you get the point. I know before the election who I am going for because those people by that point have made their positions clear. I am not representative of the masses though.

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
11.1.7  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Thrawn 31 @11.1.6    5 years ago
I am not representative of the masses though.

but your qualified to declare memes change other peoples minds... just not yours/

LOL

well anyway... here is the fun part... nothing you can do about memes. they are here to stay.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
11.1.8  Thrawn 31  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @11.1.7    5 years ago
but your qualified to declare memes change other peoples minds... just not yours/

Lol who said I am qualified to do shit? I am just expressing an opinion, like you.

well anyway... here is the fun part... nothing you can do about memes. they are here to stay. cheersjrSmiley_2_smiley_image.png

Mark Zuckerberg agrees.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
11.1.9  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @11.1.3    5 years ago
  • no meme changes a persons mind from secure borders to open borders
  • no slowed video will get someone to support shit trade deals
  • nothing on social media will ever make someone switch from nationalist to globalists.
  • and nothing on social media will make someone switch from socialist to capitalist either.

Except that is what Goebbels did, as well as Stalin. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
11.1.10  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Thrawn 31 @11.1.8    5 years ago
Mark Zuckerberg agrees.

He is an ass. He has this site off limits because we actually discuss things here. He just posts what pleases or doesn't please him. 

I, on the other hand, let plenty of stuff that doesn't please me be said here. 

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
11.1.11  Bob Nelson  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @11.1.9    5 years ago
... that is what Goebbels did, as well as Stalin.

jrSmiley_81_smiley_image.gif

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
11.1.12  Thrawn 31  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @11.1.10    5 years ago

Some people are so blind it amazes me. 

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
11.2  mocowgirl  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @11    5 years ago

Social media would be among the tools that we use to reinforce the beliefs that were instilled in us by our family, friends, society and religion (if applicable).

We have no choice where and to whom we are born, but those will be the most influential factors doing our youth.

A few years ago, I watched the film "The Lottery of Birth".    It provided food for thought - more questions than answers....probably because that is how I am wired - I question just about everything.  LOL!

Lottery of birth

The   lottery of birth   is a   philosophical argument   which states that since no one chooses the circumstances into which they are born, people should not be held responsible for them (being rich, being poor and so on). [1] The lottery of birth argument has been used by philosophers such as   John Locke ,   Thomas Hobbes   and   Jean-Jacques Rousseau , but more modern day uses have been prompted by political theorists such as   John Rawls , who explores the subject in depth in his book   A Theory of Justice . [2]

and

Storyline

THE LOTTERY OF BIRTH is the first in a three-part documentary series entitled 'Creating Freedom' exploring the relationship between freedom, power and control in Western democracies. The series draws together interviews with some of the world's leading intellectuals, journalists and activists to offer an alternative perspective on today's society and the future we're creating. We do not choose to exist, or the environment we grow up in. Our starting point in life is one of passive reliance on forces over which we have no control. THE LOTTERY OF BIRTH shows that from birth onwards our minds are a battleground of competing forces: familial, educational, cultural, and professional. The outcome of this battle not only determines who we become, but the society that we create.   Written by   Anonymous

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
11.3  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @11    5 years ago

This is not a meme. It is video. Videos spread like viruses. It is not good for our country. It is a danger. 

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
11.3.1  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @11.3    5 years ago
It is not good for our country. It is a danger. 

a danger huh? too funny...

the left can fabricate investigations to overthrow a president but editing videos is dangerous?

sorry, I do not set my hair on fire everytime someone edits a video...

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
11.3.2  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @11.3.1    5 years ago

This is obviously a joke that no one would take as real. It is not a speech given by Trump where he was being misrepresented. If it was, it would be no different than what this article is supposed to be about, but being purposely avoided. 

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
11.3.3  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @11.3.2    5 years ago
It is not a speech given by Trump where he was being misrepresented. 

if SNL can edit speeches... so can anyone else.

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
12  The Magic 8 Ball    5 years ago

take the meme challenge... 

SHOW ME THE MEME...

• that changes a persons mind from secure borders to open borders
  • that uses slowed video to get someone to support shit trade deals
  • on social media that will ever make someone switch from nationalist to globalists.
  • on social media will make someone switch from socialist to capitalist.

just one meme to change one mind... it should be easy right? 

give it your best shot :)

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
12.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @12    5 years ago

THIS IS NOT ABOUT MEMES. THIS IS ABOUT VIDEO ALTERATIONS.

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
12.1.2  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @12.1    5 years ago
THIS IS ABOUT VIDEO ALTERATIONS.

everything I said about memes stands for edited videos as well. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
12.1.3  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Release The Kraken @12.1.1    5 years ago

Ummm no, because it's gross and I am trying to get FB to take us back.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
12.1.5  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @12.1.2    5 years ago

Memes are about a specific message.

Video alternations are about deception.