California congressman says he's taken photo with dead enemy

Via:  tessylo  •  3 weeks ago  •  28 comments

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

image001-png_162613.png.cf.jpg Associated Press 15 hours ago 

330ca96e2be140ea88b32e37b1271f82.jpgFILE - In this Dec. 3, 2018 file photo Republican Rep. Duncan Hunter, center, leaves court in San Diego. Hunter of has acknowledged taking a photo with a dead combatant during his time as a Marine as he defended a Navy SEAL charged with multiple war crimes. The Republican congressman made the comments during a town hall in his San Diego-area district. (AP Photo/Gregory Bull, File)

SAN DIEGO (AP) — U.S. Rep. Duncan Hunter of California acknowledged taking a photo with a dead combatant during his time as a Marine as he defended a Navy SEAL charged with multiple war crimes, including killing a teenage fighter.

The Republican congressman, who was re-elected last November as he faces corruption charges, made the comments during a town hall Saturday in his San Diego-area district, the Union-Tribune reported.

Hunter has advocated for a pardon for Edward Gallagher, who's charged with stabbing to death a teenage Islamic State fighter under his care in Iraq in 2017 and then holding his reenlistment ceremony with the body.

Prosecutors said the Navy SEAL chief texted a photograph of himself next to the dead fighter and wrote he "got him with my hunting knife." He's also accused of shooting two civilians in Iraq and opening fire on crowds.

Hunter said he also posed for a photo next to a dead combatant but said he did not text it or post it to social media. The congressman said "a lot of us have done the exact same thing," referring to fellow service members in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Hunter called the military justice system "corrupt," saying it is run by lawyers and bureaucrats intent on pursuing "war fighters." His offices didn't return calls and emails seeking comment Monday.

Gallagher's lawyers have said he did not murder anyone and that disgruntled SEALs made the accusations because they wanted to get rid of a demanding platoon leader.

Dozens of Republican congressmen say Gallagher an innocent war hero being unfairly prosecuted. President Donald Trump got him moved from the brig to better confinement in a military hospital with access to his lawyers and family.

Trump says he is considering pardons for several American military members accused of war crimes.

Gallagher's court-martial is set to begin this week at Naval Base San Diego. Gallagher has pleaded not guilty to all the charges.

At the town hall, Hunter declined to comment on his own pending court case.

Hunter and his wife, Margaret, were indicted in 2017 on federal charges of illegally converting more than $250,000 in campaign contributions for personal living expenses. Both have pleaded not guilty and have their next court hearing scheduled for July 29. Trial is set for later this year.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
Find text within the comments Find 

Tessylo
1  seeder  Tessylo    3 weeks ago

What a scumbag and see how scumbags are re-elected when they're republicans?

Greg Jones
1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  Tessylo @1    3 weeks ago

[deleted]

Tessylo
2  seeder  Tessylo    3 weeks ago

See how the turd 'president' pardons these scumbags?

MUVA
3  MUVA    3 weeks ago

Have you been in combat or in the military?You may want to look into this case a little more I hope Eddie gets pardoned.

Tessylo
3.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  MUVA @3    3 weeks ago

Of course you do.  

MUVA
3.1.1  MUVA  replied to  Tessylo @3.1    3 weeks ago

I hope he gets a pardon he is a hero like most of the guys at the teams. I guess I feel different about the military and the sacrifice operators like this man made.He isn't a pertender like most people claiming to have been in combat he is the real deal.   

Vic Eldred
4  Vic Eldred    3 weeks ago

Despite the politics of this seed, has anyone ever considered that Edward Gallagher may have snapped under the stress of combat?

MUVA
4.1  MUVA  replied to  Vic Eldred @4    3 weeks ago

Eddie actually tries to save the guy there is a video. 

Vic Eldred
4.1.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  MUVA @4.1    3 weeks ago

I think that Eddie needs our help rather than condemnation.

MUVA
4.1.2  MUVA  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1.1    3 weeks ago

It is being used a political tool he served nearly 20 years I went to the seal foundation at little creek to hear a fellow seal talk about his case.

Vic Eldred
4.1.3  Vic Eldred  replied to  MUVA @4.1.2    3 weeks ago

What did he do - was it 8 deployments?  That's a lot for any man

Tessylo
5  seeder  Tessylo    3 weeks ago

Sounds like Hunter is a war criminal also.  

livefreeordie
5.1  livefreeordie  replied to  Tessylo @5    3 weeks ago

Nonsense. There is no war crime for taking a photo of an enemy combatant that you killed. Aeeyou going to go after thousands of Vietnam Vets who did the same thing?

Tessylo
5.1.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  livefreeordie @5.1    3 weeks ago

Doesn't seem like something a sane person would do.  

devangelical
5.1.2  devangelical  replied to  Tessylo @5.1.1    3 weeks ago

[Removed]

livefreeordie
5.1.3  livefreeordie  replied to  Tessylo @5.1.1    3 weeks ago

Again, thousands of men serving in Nam did the same thing

and I don’t see you wanting the same treatment for news photographers who take the same pictures during war

livefreeordie
5.1.4  livefreeordie  replied to  devangelical @5.1.2    3 weeks ago

[Removed]

Dismayed Patriot
5.1.5  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  livefreeordie @5.1    3 weeks ago
There is no war crime for taking a photo of an enemy combatant that you killed.

The US Field Manual (1956) provides that “maltreatment of dead bodies” is a war crime.

The US Instructor’s Guide (1985) states: “In addition to the grave breaches of the Geneva Conventions, the following acts are further examples of war crimes: … mutilating or mistreating dead bodies

The US Naval Handbook (1995) provides that “mutilation and other mistreatment of the dead” are representative war crimes

The US Naval Handbook (2007) states that “[m]utilation or other mistreatment of the dead” is an example of acts that could be considered war crimes

The US Manual on Detainee Operations (2008) states:
Legal Considerations
a. As a subset of military operations, detainee operations must comply with the law of war during all armed conflicts, however such conflicts are characterized, and in all other military operations …
c. The four Geneva Conventions of 1949 are fully applicable as a matter of international law to all military operations that qualify as international armed conflicts … The principles reflected in these treaties are considered customary international law, binding on all nations during international armed conflict. Although often referred to collectively as the “Geneva Conventions,” the specific treaties are:
(1) [1949] Geneva Convention [I] … This convention … prohibits the abuse of remains [of dead persons
While taking a photo of a dead combatant isn't necessarily a war crime, it can easily be seen as mistreatment if you are "posing" with said dead combatant like it was a trophy kill. And even if not a war crime, it's beyond distasteful and disrespectful.

Tessylo
5.1.6  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  livefreeordie @5.1.3    3 weeks ago

Again, doesn't seem like something a sane person would do.

The news photographers have nothing to do with it.  Not the same thing.  

epistte
5.1.7  epistte  replied to  livefreeordie @5.1    3 weeks ago
Nonsense. There is no war crime for taking a photo of an enemy combatant that you killed. Aeeyou going to go after thousands of Vietnam Vets who did the same thing?

Is that something that Jesus would have supported? 

It may be just me, but it seems from my perspective that your Christianity is very much of a pick and choose faith when it suits your end goal.

Tessylo
5.1.8  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Tessylo @5.1.1    3 weeks ago

Devangelical, I never marked your comment as off topic.   I marked LFOD, as his usually are

livefreeordie
5.1.9  livefreeordie  replied to  Tessylo @5.1.8    3 weeks ago

I gave a DIRECT  response to their question posed to me and you chose to call it off topic because of your prejudices 

devangelical
5.1.10  devangelical  replied to  Tessylo @5.1.8    3 weeks ago

no worries. the perp signed it.

luther28
6  luther28    3 weeks ago

One might ask why.

Freefaller
6.1  Freefaller  replied to  luther28 @6    3 weeks ago
One might ask why.

I would presume terms along the lines of young, callous, egotist, immature would apply.

devangelical
6.2  devangelical  replied to  luther28 @6    3 weeks ago

standard trophy picture

Badfish H҉a҉n҉d҉ ҉o҉f҉ ҉D҉o҉o҉m҉
7  Badfish H҉a҉n҉d҉ ҉o҉f҉ ҉D҉o҉o҉m҉    3 weeks ago

We should prosecute any time a civilian is killed by patriot missiles. Let's put Clinton, Bush, Obama and Trump on trial.

Then let's prosecute all that voted for Afghanistan and Iraq, they are all culpable and Doctors with out borders estimates close to a million innocent died. I call that genocide.

Freedom Warrior
8  Freedom Warrior    3 weeks ago

As if the dead person really cares or as if being killed in the first place wasn't harsh enough.