╌>

James Comey: No ‘treason.’ No coup. Just lies — and dumb lies at that.

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  5 years ago  •  24 comments

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

JTJRI5EBQYI6TEZ5OUAQODXGNE.jpg
President Trump is shown touring the Japanese destroyer JS Kaga, in Yokosuka, Japan, on Tuesday. (Charly Triballeau/AP)

James Comey is a former director of the FBI and a former deputy attorney general.

It is tempting for normal people to ignore our president when he starts ranting about treason and corruption at the FBI . I understand the temptation. I’m the object of many of his rants, and even I try to ignore him.

But we shouldn’t, because millions of good people believe what a president of the United States says. In normal times, that’s healthy. But not now, when the president is a liar who doesn’t care what damage he does to vital institutions. We must call out his lies that the FBI was corrupt and committed treason, that we spied on the Trump campaign and tried to defeat Donald Trump. We must constantly return to the stubborn facts.

Russia engaged in a massive effort to interfere in the 2016 presidential election . Near as I can tell, there is only one U.S. leader who still denies that fact. The FBI saw the attack starting in mid-June 2016 , with the first dumping of stolen emails. In late July , when we were hard at work trying to understand the scope of the effort, we learned that one of Trump’s foreign policy advisers knew about the Russian effort seven weeks before we did.

In April 2016, that adviser talked to a Russian agent in London , learned that the Russians had obtained “dirt” on Hillary Clinton in the form of thousands of emails and that the Russians could assist the Trump campaign through the anonymous release of information damaging to Clinton. Of course, nobody from the Trump campaign told us this (or about later Russian approaches); we had to learn it, months after the fact, from an allied ambassador.

But when we finally learned of it in late July, what should the FBI have done? Let it go? Go tell the Trump campaign? Tell the press? No. Investigate, to see what the facts were. We didn’t know what was true. Maybe there was nothing to it, or maybe Americans were actively conspiring with the Russians. To find out, the FBI would live up to its name and investigate.

As director, I was determined that the work would be done carefully, professionally and discreetly. We were just starting. If there was nothing to it, we didn’t want to smear Americans. If there was something to it, we didn’t want to let corrupt Americans know we were onto them. So, we kept it secret. That’s how the FBI approaches all counterintelligence cases.

And there’s the first problem with Trump’s whole “treason” narrative. If we were “deep state” Clinton loyalists bent on stopping him, why would we keep it secret? Why wouldn’t the much-maligned FBI supervisor Peter Strzok — the alleged kingpin of the “treasonous” plot to stop Trump — tell anyone? He was one of the very few people who knew what we were investigating.

We investigated. We didn’t gather information about the campaign’s strategy. We didn’t “spy” on anyone’s campaign. We investigated to see whether it was true that Americans associated with the campaign had taken the Russians up on any offer of help. By late October, the investigators thought they had probable cause to get a federal court order to conduct electronic surveillance of a former Trump campaign adviser named Carter Page. Page was no longer with the campaign, but there was reason to believe he was acting as an agent of the Russian government. We asked a federal judge for permission to surveil him and then we did it, all without revealing our work, despite the fact that it was late October and a leak would have been very harmful to candidate Trump. Worst deep-state conspiracy ever.

But wait, the conspiracy idea gets dumber. On Oct. 28 , after agonizing deliberation over two terrible options, I concluded I had no choice but to inform Congress that we had reopened the Clinton email investigation . I judged that hiding that fact — after having told Congress repeatedly and under oath that the case was finished — would be worse than telling Congress the truth. It was a decision William Barr praised and Hillary Clinton blamed for her loss 11 days later. Strzok, alleged architect of the treasonous plot to stop Trump, drafted the letter I sent Congress.

And there’s still more to the dumbness of the conspiracy allegation. At the center of the alleged FBI “corruption” we hear so much about was the conclusion that Deputy Director Andrew McCabe lied to internal investigators about a disclosure to the press in late October 2016. McCabe was fired over it . And what was that disclosure? Some stop-Trump election-eve screed? No. McCabe authorized a disclosure that revealed the FBI was actively investigating the Clinton Foundation , a disclosure that was harmful to Clinton.

There is a reason the non-fringe media doesn’t spend much time on this “treason” and “corruption” business. The conspiracy theory makes no sense. The FBI wasn’t out to get Donald Trump. It also wasn’t out to get Hillary Clinton. It was out to do its best to investigate serious matters while walking through a vicious political minefield.

But go ahead, investigate the investigators, if you must. When those investigations are over, you will find the work was done appropriately and focused only on discerning the truth of very serious allegations. There was no corruption. There was no treason. There was no attempted coup. Those are lies, and dumb lies at that. There were just good people trying to figure out what was true, under unprecedented circumstances.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    5 years ago

Comey doesn't sound scared to me or worried he is going to prison. Not at all. 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @1    5 years ago

False bravado and acting out like he's been doing is a sure sign he's starting to sweat.

The old whistling while walking past the graveyard thingy.

Barr is just getting started in sorting all this left wing corruption out, and will get to Comey eventually.

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.1.1  Dulay  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1    5 years ago
False bravado and acting out like he's been doing is a sure sign he's starting to sweat.
The old whistling while walking past the graveyard thingy.

The seed isn't about Trump. 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.1.2  Split Personality  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1    5 years ago

Sounds like the President on a daily basis...

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
2  Ronin2    5 years ago

Comey is leaving out several details; but it is the details are what will bring him down.

If Comey wasn't worried; he wouldn't be trying to desperately change the narrative. He wouldn't care about anything Trump said; because he would know that the investigations into the FISA warrants; and the very legality of their "investigation" would turn up nothing.

It would also help if he and Clapper didn't give conflicting answers to Congress about the Steele Dossier being used in the FISA warrants. One of them is lying; and no matter which one is telling the truth, they are both still in trouble. 

It is all about optics now; and where the blame falls for them. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1  Tessylo  replied to  Ronin2 @2    5 years ago

What are those 'several details' Comey is leaving out?

Dulay
Professor Expert
2.2  Dulay  replied to  Ronin2 @2    5 years ago
It would also help if he and Clapper didn't give conflicting answers to Congress about the Steele Dossier being used in the FISA warrants.

What 'conflicting' answers? Please quote them...

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
2.2.1  Ronin2  replied to  Dulay @2.2    5 years ago

Sorry, I left out Brennan.  Like forgetting one of the 3 Stooges.

Sources familiar with the records told Fox News that a late-2016 email chain indicated then-FBI Director James Comey told bureau subordinates that then-CIA Director   John Brennan   insisted the dossier be included in the intelligence community assessment on Russian interference, known as the ICA.
width="1" height="1"> Fox News was told that the email chain – not yet public -- referred to the dossier as "crown material," but it was not clear why this apparent code was used. On Tuesday night, former GOP Rep. Trey Gowdy said on Fox News'   "The Story with Martha MacCallum"   that "Comey has a better argument than Brennan, based on what I've seen." A day earlier, Gowdy told Fox News, "Whoever is looking into this, tell them to look into emails" from December 2016 involving Brennan and Comey. Gowdy, who is now a Fox News contributor, said his assessment was based on sensitive Russia records he reviewed as then-chairman of the Republican-led House Oversight Committee. But in a statement to Fox News, a former CIA official put the blame squarely on Comey. "Former Director Brennan, along with former [Director of National Intelligence] James Clapper, are the ones who opposed James Comey’s recommendation that the Steele Dossier be included in the intelligence report," the official said. "They opposed this because the dossier was in no way used to develop the ICA," the official continued. "The intelligence analysts didn't include it when they were doing their work because it wasn't corroborated intelligence, therefore it wasn't used and it wasn't included. Brennan and Clapper prevented it from being added into the official assessment. James Comey then decided on his own to brief Trump about the document."

Split Personality
Professor Guide
2.2.2  Split Personality  replied to  Ronin2 @2.2.1    5 years ago
Sources familiar with the records told Fox News that a late-2016 email chain indicated

I am surprised that you would consider "sources", the MSM (FOX ) and "indicated"

as solid evidence...

interesting.jrSmiley_26_smiley_image.gif

Dulay
Professor Expert
2.2.3  Dulay  replied to  Ronin2 @2.2.1    5 years ago
Sorry, I left out Brennan.

Why would you ADD another person when you've FAILED to support your allegations about the first 2 you cited? 

Sources familiar with the records told Fox News that a late-2016 email chain indicated then-FBI Director James Comey told bureau subordinates that then-CIA Director John Brennan insisted the dossier be included in the intelligence community assessment on Russian interference, known as the ICA.

I sure do hope that the 'leak' investigation includes 'sources familiar with the records' telling Fox News about FBI/CIA emails...

Still waiting for your link to those conflicting statements. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
2.3  Dulay  replied to  Ronin2 @2    5 years ago
If Comey wasn't worried; he wouldn't be trying to desperately change the narrative.

By that standard, Trump must be terrified. 

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
2.3.1  Ronin2  replied to  Dulay @2.3    5 years ago

What makes you think I care about Trump? I didn't vote for Trump or Clinton. I don't do the lesser of two evils when voting. 

According to the left, Trump is "terrified" of everything. Comey is supposed to be level headed; yet has proven repeatedly to be politically dysfunctional, and slow witted. Comey is the one that taped his conversation with Trump and leaked them; because of his "fear of being fired"; and that Trump was trying to influence his investigations. Yet did nothing when Lynch supposedly told him to call his email investigation a "matter". He also said he had reservations about Lynch's ability to prosecute after her meeting with Bill Clinton on the tarmac. Unfortunately he wasn't smart enough (read too Establishment) to document any of that.

The only thing I care about is that the FBI and DOJ was used as a weapon against a political opponent; and that an innocent Carter Page was used as an excuse to get FISA warrants to do it.  Either Comey or Mueller should have brought Page in for questioning- at least for the sake of appearance. But, no questioning; and no charges. So much for the master spy garbage.

Nixon would be damn proud of this bunch.

Before you say anything; I don't think will come of the investigations into the FISA warrants; or the entire spying on an opposition campaign. The most that will happen is a slight rebuke to all of those involved in their records- and they will be black listed for all future government positions; and recommendation that the FBI, CIA, and DOJ review their procedures for gathering information and documentation for FISA warrants.  Maybe, at the extreme, the judge that issued the FISA warrants will lose his bench for not looking at them closely enough.

Nothing that will stop this from happening again. Maybe next time it will be a Democratic campaign and candidate.  Then the left will really lose it.

Dulay
Professor Expert
2.3.2  Dulay  replied to  Ronin2 @2.3.1    5 years ago
What makes you think I care about Trump?

What makes you think I think that? I merely applied your stated standard to Trump. 

Comey is the one that taped his conversation with Trump and leaked them;

That is a LIE. 

The only thing I care about is that the FBI and DOJ was used as a weapon against a political opponent; and that an innocent Carter Page was used as an excuse to get FISA warrants to do it.

How was the information garnered by the FISA warrants used against Trump?

For that matter, what evidence do you have that ANYTHING garnered from the FISA warrant was used against ANY American?

PLEASE be specific. 

Maybe, at the extreme, the judge that issued the FISA warrants will lose his bench for not looking at them closely enough.

4 different Judges authorized the FISA warrants. NONE of those Judges have been removed from the FISC. It's been over a year since the BS came out about the alligations of illegal FISA warrants. Roberts hasn't said a peep about investigating their decisions OR of reviewing the FISC process. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  seeder  JohnRussell    5 years ago

In the ongoing effort to distract from President Donald Trump’s corruption and lawlessness, Republicans and right-wing media are joining his calls to denounce the FBI, claiming that the Russia investigation was a “coup” against him.

The claim makes little sense on its face, since the investigation that FBI launched of Russian interference in the 2016 election, which turned into Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation, could not have been a “coup.” Trump wasn’t even president when it launched. And ignoring this fact, the only way it would result in Trump being removed from office is through the application of Congress’s impeachment powers, which is not a coup but an orderly transition of power in a democratic system (which would, in any event, leave in place Trump’s hand-picked vice president.)

But the idea that the FBI and intelligence community was plotting a coup against Trump, based loosely on some angry texts and a lot of distorted and baseless claims, has taken hold on the right. And it’s not likely to dissipate any time soon. With that in mind, readers should consider the following facts, all of which rest on uncontroversial evidence, that decisively show that the idea that the FBI was working to block Trump’s presidency is nonsense:

1. The FBI, via James Comey, almost certainly threw the election to Trump.

The most obvious reason we can infer that there wasn’t an FBI conspiracy to undermine Trump’s chances at getting elected is that, by all appearances, it did the exact opposite.

Instead of torpedoing Trump’s chances, FBI Director James Comey damaged Hillary Clinton’s shot at the presidency by announcing, less than two weeks before Election Day, that it was reopening the investigation of her emails. Trump certainly thought this news helped him at the time because he celebrated it and touted the re-opening of the probe. At the same time, when Trump later fired Comey, he used the director’s mistreatment of Clinton as a justification for the termination. So not only did Trump admit that Comey’s actions were helpful to him, he has admitted that they were wrongful. (FiveThirtyEight’s Nate Silver, analyzing the polling, concluded that Comey’s decision indeed likely cost Clinton the election.)

It’s a startling state of affairs that the GOP can base an entire conspiracy theory — which often focuses on Comey as a key enemy of Trump — that flies in the face of one of the most significant historical events in recent memory.

2. The FBI was not specifically investigating Trump until he fired Comey.

Now, you might say that, even if Comey tanked Clinton’s chances, at least some members of the FBI were plotting against Trump. Citing a cryptic text message between FBI employees Peter Strzok and Lisa Page, the conspiracists sometimes argue that the investigation of Trump was an “insurance policy” against the chance he became president. So perhaps they assumed Clinton would win as most people did, but they wanted to keep the investigation open to use as a weapon against Trump if he turned the tables.

But then there’s another unfortunate fact for this theory: As Trump had once boasted, there was, in fact, no FBI investigation of him specifically during the 2016 campaign. The FBI was investigating certain members of Trump’s team — several of whom have since gone to prison — but not Trump himself. Trump wasn’t put under investigation until months later when he fired James Comey.

3. There appeared to be damaging leaks out of the FBI — about Clinton.

There’s also the fact that, based on comments made by the person who would become Trump’s lawyer, Rudy Giuliani, the FBI seemed to be leaking damaging suggestions about Hillary Clinton . As the Washington Post reported at the time:

Rudy Giuliani told Fox News’s Martha MacCallum on Oct. 26 that Donald Trump had “a surprise or two that you’re going to hear about in the next two days.”

“I’m talking about some pretty big surprise,” he said.

Two days later, FBI Director James Comey revealed to Congress that his agents had resumed their investigation of Hillary Clinton’s use of a private email server while she was secretary of state, after agents in an unrelated case discovered emails that could potentially be relevant to the server case.

These comments, which Giuliani later clumsily walked back, later triggered a leak investigation .

But Comey later told the House Intelligence Committee:

I was concerned that there appeared to be in the media a number of stories that might have been based on communications reporters or nonreporters like Rudy Giuliani were having with people in the New York field office. In particular, in I want to say mid October, maybe a little bit later, Mr. Giuliani was making statements that appeared to be based on his knowledge of workings inside the FBI New York. And then my recollection is there were other stories that were in the same ballpark that gave me a general concern that we may have a leak problem — unauthorized disclosure problem out of New York, and so I asked that it be investigated.

And former Attorney General Loretta Lynch told the DOJ inspector general:

And [Comey] said, and he said to me that it had become clear to him, he didn’t say over the course of what investigation or whatever, he said it’s clear to me that there is a cadre of senior people in New York who have a deep and visceral hatred of Secretary Clinton. And he said it is, it is deep. It’s, and he said, he said it was surprising to him or stunning to him.

4. The investigation of Trump’s campaign was largely kept secret.

Despite urging from lawmakers, Comey kept the investigation of Trump’s campaign secret during the 2016 campaign. Some of the details about the investigation leaked at the time, but they were also heavily spun in Trump’s favor, with the New York Times printing the notorious headline on Oct. 31, 2016: “Investigating Donald Trump, F.B.I. Sees No Clear Link to Russia.” It’s second paragraph said:

Law enforcement officials say that none of the investigations so far have found any conclusive or direct link between Mr. Trump and the Russian government. And even the hacking into Democratic emails, F.B.I. and intelligence officials now believe, was aimed at disrupting the presidential election rather than electing Mr. Trump.

It’s clear from the story that, though the reporters had stumbled on something very real, at least some portion of its FBI sources were trying to tamp down and discourage the reporting. The report does not at all suggest that FBI agents were trying to conduct a hit job on Trump through anonymous leaks. It claimed multiple times that the FBI believed Russia’s efforts to interfere in the election were not designed to help Trump, though the bureau would later conclude that, in fact, that was part of the intention.

5. At the same time that the FBI was investigating the Steele Dossier, it used oppo research to pursue another investigation of Clinton.

One of the biggest gripes Republicans have about the Russia investigation was its supposed reliance on the infamous Steele Dossier, a collection of raw intelligence documents from a former British intelligence agent that made a range of inflammatory and lurid claims about Trump’s ties to Russia. Because this was funded as opposition research against Trump, the GOP argues that its use by the FBI was illegitimate. However, the extent of its use by the FBI in the probe is still unknown, and the even the House Intelligence Committee , at a time when it was run by Republicans, admitted that the investigation had already begun before the bureau received the dossier.

However, during the same period of this investigation, the Clinton Foundation became the subject of an FBI inquiry that was spurred largely, it seemed, by a book called “ Clinton Cash .” That book was itself a long-form version of opposition research, designed by opponents of Hillary Clinton to hurt her electoral chances. The idea that referring oppo research against Trump in any way was somehow a major partisan breach, while the same thing happened to Clinton, strains credulity.

cms5
Freshman Quiet
4  cms5    5 years ago

This coming from the Director that was FIRED. Simply because he told his boss one thing and refused to tell anyone else the very same thing. Comical.

This coming from the guy who points fingers...at Brennan, Lynch.

This coming from the guy who went rogue and told America that he recommends no charges on Clinton...as if he were the AG.

This coming from the guy who admits leaking information.

Yup...everything was above board...nothing to see here. /s

Dulay
Professor Expert
4.1  Dulay  replied to  cms5 @4    5 years ago
Simply because he told his boss one thing and refused to tell anyone else the very same thing. Comical.

Trump gave a completely different official reason for firing Comey. Comical. 

This coming from the guy who admits leaking information.

What information are you alleging Comey leaked. If you're talking about his own memos, that isn't a 'leak'. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5  seeder  JohnRussell    5 years ago
This coming from the Director that was FIRED.

Being fired by the idiot Trump is more a badge of honor than anything else. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6  seeder  JohnRussell    5 years ago

Robert Mueller's office has announced that he is going to make a public statement to the media today, in a few hours. No word yet on what. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  JohnRussell @6    5 years ago

I'm guessing he is going to announce he is leaving the justice dept. and the investigation on his part is over. Because he still works for Barr, I don't think he will be criticizing Barr. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  JohnRussell @6.1    5 years ago

I just saw it. He didn't say much of anything and didn't take any questions

Dulay
Professor Expert
6.1.2  Dulay  replied to  Trout Giggles @6.1.1    5 years ago

Actually, he contradicted Barr on obstruction. He said that the 'Department' [DOJ] could not make the call on obstruction because the DOJ, which includes Barr is restrained by the OLC policy. That voids Barr's 'decision' on obstruction. 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
7  It Is ME    5 years ago

Comey…...the Guy the Democrats wanted gone.....until they didn't !

Now he's the Democrats "Hero" !

Dems luvs them some "Flippity-Floppity" narratives …. don't they !

"Clapper, Brennan and Comey Start Turning on Each Other as Barr Turns Up the Heat "

"Amazing—James Comey says that in 2016, John Brennan insisted on including the dossier in their IC assessment. But Brennan says: no no, COMEY wanted to use the dossier."

Just another Trump hating Liberal ….. "Oh ya.....Bet me" ….. moment from Comey !

Split Personality
Professor Guide
7.1  Split Personality  replied to  It Is ME @7    5 years ago

Town Hall, another wonderful objective source, lol.

Overall, we rate Townhall Right Biased based on story selection that always favors the right and denigrates the left. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to the use of columnists that have poor fact check records.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
7.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  Split Personality @7.1    5 years ago

Like I believe "Fact Check" media anymore. They put their own folks in charge of "Fact Checking" their own initial report ! jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Even the "Fact Checkers" are "Fact Checked". jrSmiley_90_smiley_image.gif