╌>

AP sources: White House wanted USS McCain moved for Trump

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  tessylo  •  5 years ago  •  92 comments

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Politics

image001-png_162613.png.cf.jpg   LOLITA C. BALDOR, Associated Press   4 hours ago  

0977137d3a024a9393d80edeeab4384a.jpg President Donald Trump greets troops after speaking at a Memorial Day event aboard the USS Wasp, Tuesday, May 28, 2019, in Yokosuka, Japan. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci)

The White House wanted the U.S. Navy to keep a warship named for the late Sen. John McCain out of President Donald Trump's view during his trip to Japan, three U.S. officials said Wednesday.

As first reported by The Wall Street Journal, a U.S. Indo-Pacific Command official wrote an email to Navy and Air Force officials about Trump's arrival in Japan over Memorial Day weekend. It included instructions for the proper landing areas for helicopters and preparations for the USS Wasp, the ship on which the president was to speak.

The official then issued a third instruction: "USS John McCain needs to be out of sight," according to the email, which was obtained by the Journal and whose existence was confirmed to The Associated Press.

The three U.S. officials spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss private email correspondence.

When a Navy commander expressed surprise at the instruction, the U.S. Indo-Pacific Command official answered, "First I heard of it as well," the Journal reported. The official said he would talk to the White House Military Office to get more information about the directive, the newspaper reported.

In response to the story, Trump — who feuded with McCain publicly for years and at one point mocked his military service — tweeted that he "was not informed about anything having to do with the Navy Ship USS John S. McCain during my recent visit to Japan."

The president notably does not say that he was not informed about the ship before his visit to Japan. A message seeking clarification was left late Wednesday for White House press secretary Sarah Sanders.

In Jakarta, Indonesia, on Thursday morning, Acting Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan told reporters, "When I read that this morning was the first I'd heard about it."

Asked if he would do an investigation, he said, "I need to find out a little bit more - just had the first glimpse of it this morning."

The Wall Street Journal reported that a tarp was placed over the USS John S. McCain's name before Trump's arrival, according to photos it reviewed, and that sailors were instructed to remove any coverings from the ship that included its name.

U.S. Navy Cdr. Clay Doss, spokesman for U.S. 7th Fleet, told the AP that the tarp was on the ship on Friday but was removed by Saturday morning, the day Trump arrived. "All ships remained in normal configuration during the President's visit," he said.

Two U.S. officials told the AP that all the ships in the harbor were lined up for Trump's visit, and they were visible from the USS Wasp. The officials said, however, that most of their names probably could not be seen since they were side by side but that the name of the USS John S. McCain could be seen from the pier.

Asked if the tarp was meant to block Trump's view of the ship, the officials said the tarp had been placed on the ship for maintenance and removed for the visit.

Rear Adm. Charlie Brown, Navy public affairs officer, tweeted Wednesday night: "The name of USS John S. McCain was not obscured during the POTUS visit to Yokosuka on Memorial Day. The Navy is proud of that ship, its crew, its namesake and its heritage."

Two U.S. officials said a paint barge was in front of the USS John S. McCain on Saturday morning when 7th Fleet officials walked the pier to see how everything looked for the visit. The barge was then ordered to be moved and was gone by the time Trump arrived, the officials said.

The Journal reported, based on people familiar with the matter, that sailors on the USS John S. McCain, who usually wear hats with the ship's name on it, were given the day off when Trump visited.

Two U.S. officials told the AP that sailors on the USS John S. McCain were not told to stay away but that many were away for the long weekend. The officials also said that about 800 sailors from more than 20 ships and Navy commands were on the USS Wasp during the president's visit, and all wore the same Navy hat that has no logo, rather than wearing individual ship or command hats.

Trump and McCain had a frosty relationship and that continued, on Trump's part, even after McCain died in August 2018 of brain cancer.

In 2015, McCain, a Republican senator from Arizona, had gotten under then-candidate Trump's skin by saying he had "fired up the crazies" at a rally in Phoenix. Trump, also a Republican, later told a crowd in Iowa that McCain was only a war hero "because he was captured. I like people who weren't captured."

After Trump took office, McCain established himself as a leading critic, opposing Trump's immigration-limiting order, warning him against coziness with Moscow and lecturing him on the illegality of torture. The senator incensed the president with his thumbs-down vote that foiled the president's efforts to repeal President Barack Obama's health care law.

Trump was not welcome at McCain's funeral and raised the White House's U.S. flag back to full-staff shortly after McCain's death, despite U.S. Flag Code stating that it should remain at half-staff for another day. The flag returned to half-staff later in the day.

McCain's daughter, Meghan, tweeted Wednesday that Trump will "always be deeply threatened by the greatness of my dads incredible life."

She added, "There is a lot of criticism of how much I speak about my dad, but nine months since he passed, Trump won't let him RIP. So I have to stand up for him.

"It makes my grief unbearable."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Tessylo    5 years ago

The White House wanted the U.S. Navy to keep a warship named for the late Sen. John McCain out of President Donald Trump's view during his trip to Japan, three U.S. officials said Wednesday.

As first reported by The Wall Street Journal, a U.S. Indo-Pacific Command official wrote an email to Navy and Air Force officials about Trump's arrival in Japan over Memorial Day weekend. It included instructions for the proper landing areas for helicopters and preparations for the USS Wasp, the ship on which the president was to speak.

The official then issued a third instruction: "USS John McCain needs to be out of sight," according to the email, which was obtained by the Journal and whose existence was confirmed to The Associated Press.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2  seeder  Tessylo    5 years ago

The Wall Street Journal reported that a tarp was placed over the USS John S. McCain's name before Trump's arrival, according to photos it reviewed, and that sailors were instructed to remove any coverings from the ship that included its name.

U.S. Navy Cdr. Clay Doss, spokesman for U.S. 7th Fleet, told the AP that the tarp was on the ship on Friday but was removed by Saturday morning, the day Trump arrived. "All ships remained in normal configuration during the President's visit," he said.

Two U.S. officials told the AP that all the ships in the harbor were lined up for Trump's visit, and they were visible from the USS Wasp. The officials said, however, that most of their names probably could not be seen since they were side by side but that the name of the USS John S. McCain could be seen from the pier.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3  seeder  Tessylo    5 years ago

What a petty, vindictive, nasty, whiny little bitch.  

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3.1  Greg Jones  replied to  Tessylo @3    5 years ago

Just another unsubstantiated and unverified piece of propaganda from the left wing Trump haters.

And after all, he is the commander-in-chief.

And your description of McCain is quite accurate.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
3.1.2  Ozzwald  replied to  Greg Jones @3.1    5 years ago
Just another unsubstantiated and unverified piece of propaganda from the left wing Trump haters.

Except it includes pictures.  Would you care to explain why ship maintenance requires a tarp to be placed only over its name???

S1-CP833_MCCAIN_M_20190529185059.jpg

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  Ozzwald @3.1.2    5 years ago

like trmp could even read the name plate

Snuffy
Professor Participates
3.1.4  Snuffy  replied to  Ozzwald @3.1.2    5 years ago
Would you care to explain why ship maintenance requires a tarp to be placed only over its name???

It was also explained that the picture was from the day before and the tarp had been removed before Trump arrived. They also explained that there was a paint barge there also so perhaps the tarp was to protect from overspray?

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
3.1.5  Ozzwald  replied to  Snuffy @3.1.4    5 years ago

It was also explained that the picture was from the day before and the tarp had been removed before Trump arrived.

Explained by someone who wasn't even there.  Do you have a picture of the ship while Trump was there, or are you just relying on a statement by a public relations officer?

They also explained that there was a paint barge there also so perhaps the tarp was to protect from overspray?

So they weren't afraid the over spray might get on the ship, they were only afraid it would get on the name which was not even on the side of the paint barge?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.6  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Ozzwald @3.1.5    5 years ago

I guess we should start calling these deflections or derails or trollings Rumpsplaining.  

katrix
Sophomore Participates
3.1.7  katrix  replied to  Ozzwald @3.1.5    5 years ago
Explained by someone who wasn't even there.  Do you have a picture of the ship while Trump was there, or are you just relying on a statement by a public relations officer?

Do you accept a statement by Trump himself?  He referred to it as "well meaning" although he wasn't involved in the discussion.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
3.1.9  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.3    5 years ago

Ironically, the ship was never originally named after Senator McCain at all. She was named after his grandfather and father, who both served in WW II as a Admiral and a Captain respectively.  Senator McCain was added as co sponsor as a afterthought in 2018. Just a bit of historical clarification there.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
3.1.10  Snuffy  replied to  Ozzwald @3.1.5    5 years ago

I relied on what was in the posted article with this seed.

So they weren't afraid the over spray might get on the ship, they were only afraid it would get on the name which was not even on the side of the paint barge?

that's not what I said.  Looking at the picture you posted,  sure looks like the tarp is on the bow of the ship and is actually between the ship and the paint barge.  But by all means,  attack attack attack...

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
3.1.11  Ozzwald  replied to  Snuffy @3.1.10    5 years ago
Looking at the picture you posted,  sure looks like the tarp is on the bow of the ship and is actually between the ship and the paint barge.

I have no idea what picture you are looking at.  I posted a picture taken from the dock showing the stern with a tarp covering only the name.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
3.1.12  Snuffy  replied to  Ozzwald @3.1.11    5 years ago

You are correct, it's the stern.  I was looking at the picture you posted in 3.1.2

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.2  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Tessylo @3    5 years ago

Or his administration knows what a petty, vindictive, nasty, whiny little bitch their boss is and wanted to make sure he wouldn't have a hissy fit.  

katrix
Sophomore Participates
3.2.1  katrix  replied to  Tessylo @3.2    5 years ago

Well, that's the actual reason.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.2.2  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  katrix @3.2.1    5 years ago

That's my follow-up to my third comment when I realized they did this without his knowledge.  

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4  Vic Eldred    5 years ago

Based on the AP's false story about the removal of MLK's statue, I'll have to regard this story as false until proven

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @4    5 years ago

I await your apology Vic.  

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.2  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @4    5 years ago

NBC news has verified the existence of an email from the White House to military authorities asking that the USS John McCain be removed from the president's line of vision during Trump's visit to a nearby ship while he was in Japan. The question is what if anything Trump knew about it.  The surmise is that White House staff did it without his knowledge as they attempted to pre-empt him throwing a fit once he saw the McCain name in his vicinity. Your president is a weirdo. 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
4.2.1  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @4.2    5 years ago
NBC news has verified the existence of an email from the White House to military authorities asking that the USS John McCain be removed from the president's line of vision.

So where is NBC's verification? This has the look and smell of another anti-Trump hit piece.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.2.2  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @4.2    5 years ago

John, let's first get the reporting straight:

"As first reported by The Wall Street Journal, a U.S. Indo-Pacific Command official wrote an email to Navy and Air Force officials about Trump's arrival in Japan over Memorial Day weekend. It included instructions for the proper landing areas for helicopters and preparations for the USS Wasp, the ship on which the president was to speak.

The official then issued a third instruction: "USS John McCain needs to be out of sight," according to the email, which was obtained by the Journal and whose existence was confirmed to The Associated Press."

Next,  "The surmose is that White House staff did it without his knowledge as they attempted to pre-empt him throwing a fit once he saw the McCain name in his vicinity" Is your opinion. Didn't you tell me yesterday that my opinion is irrelevant?

Finally, How was the e-mail verified and by whom?  Please tell me why this would be a news story, other than to take another swipe at Trump?

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
4.2.3  Ronin2  replied to  JohnRussell @4.2    5 years ago

Using the same unverified, unsubstantiated, anonymous sources that the other articles do.

There are more sources for the the press than there are White House officials that could ever leak things.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.2.4  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.2.2    5 years ago

No one must take a swipe at the turd, all hail the turd.  

jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.2.5  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.2.2    5 years ago

Your opinion is irrelevant regarding the law

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.2.6  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @4.2.5    5 years ago

You remembered!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.2.7  JohnRussell  replied to  Greg Jones @4.2.1    5 years ago

(CNBC)512

Old Hermit
Sophomore Silent
4.2.8  Old Hermit  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.2.2    5 years ago
Finally, How was the e-mail verified and by whom?  Please tell me why this would be a news story, other than to take another swipe at Trump?

How was the e-mail verified

By sight?

by whom?

America?

original

Morning Joe
Emails shed light on efforts to put USS John McCain 'out of sight'

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
4.2.9  Sunshine  replied to  Old Hermit @4.2.8    5 years ago

This is a tweet not an email.  Who was the email from? and to whom? 

Where is the original email?  

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.2.10  Vic Eldred  replied to  Sunshine @4.2.9    5 years ago

Those are the questions that can't be answered because the information was leaked. As for the by "whom" part, I believe President Trump referred to them best -  "by some of the worst people on earth".    Another Trumpism I love!

Split Personality
Professor Guide
4.2.11  Split Personality  replied to  Sunshine @4.2.9    5 years ago
This is a tweet not an email. 

Agreed, but the tweet is a copy of the email.

Who was the email from? and to whom? 

WHMO ( the White House Military Office ) and C7F  (Commander 7Tth Fleet )

One can safely assume it is somewhere on a .mil server which is above our pay grade.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
4.3  Jasper2529  replied to  Vic Eldred @4    5 years ago
Based on the AP's false story about the removal of MLK's statue, I'll have to regard this story as false until proven

AP/Yahoo and left wing media prefer their one-sided narrative, but we all know that there are two (sometimes more) sides to a story: 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.3.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Jasper2529 @4.3    5 years ago

'AP/Yahoo and left wing media prefer their one-sided narrative.'

You're talking about one sided narrative and then cite a Faux 'news' source.'

Freaking hilarious!!!!!

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
4.3.2  Jasper2529  replied to  Tessylo @4.3.1    5 years ago
You're talking about one sided narrative and then cite a Faux 'news' source.' Freaking hilarious!!!!!

I added a different perspective to the seeded story that supported my comment about narratives.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.3.3  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Jasper2529 @4.3.2    5 years ago

Fux 'news's one sided narrative.  Got it.    

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
4.3.4  Sunshine  replied to  Jasper2529 @4.3    5 years ago

More bait for the TDS sufferers.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.3.5  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Jasper2529 @4.3    5 years ago

Only one side to this story.  See verification above.  

lib50
Professor Silent
4.3.6  lib50  replied to  Sunshine @4.3.4    5 years ago
More bait for the TDS sufferers.  

The Navy Times doesn't seem to agree with that.  Suck it up, the Trumpers in the WH tried to make sure the fuckwit didn't have a temper tantrum if he saw anything with McCain's name on it.   The thought of all these republicans trying to defend this shit is disgusting and I hope they never live it down.  Read this.  The wh did send the email, Trump admitted it, said they meant well.

One Navy official who spoke on background told Navy Times the McCain sailors were off that day due to a previously scheduled 96-hour Memorial Day liberty period, one that was unrelated to the president’s visit.

Multiple sailors speaking to the New York Times on the condition of anonymity contested the statements made by Navy officials, claiming every ship in Yokosuka was invited to send 60 to 70 sailors to see the president — every ship except the McCain.

Despite the lack of an invitation, a small party of McCain sailors wearing uniforms featuring their ship’s name and insignia decided to attend the president’s address, the sailors told the NYT.

They were subsequently turned away.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
4.3.7  Sunshine  replied to  lib50 @4.3.6    5 years ago

Did you miss something?

U.S. Navy Cmdr. Nate Christensen, deputy spokesman of the U.S. Pacific Fleet, disputed the report, telling Navy Times the tarp was placed on the ship on Friday, May 24, when the picture was taken, but was removed by Saturday morning, the day Trump arrived.

Multiple sailors speaking to the New York Times on the condition of anonymity contested the statements made by Navy officials,

New York Times anonymous sources again...including the one above that was debunked....

U.S. Navy Cmdr. Nate Christensen, deputy spokesman of the U.S. Pacific Fleet, disputed the report, telling Navy Times the tarp was placed on the ship on Friday, May 24, when the picture was taken, but was removed by Saturday morning, the day Trump arrive

TDS has become so prevalent that it is hard to believe most articles coming from the NYT.

lib50
Professor Silent
4.3.9  lib50  replied to  Sunshine @4.3.7    5 years ago

TRUMP'S PEOPLE LIE EVERY DAY.  THIS IS THE PRICE YOU PAY.   They are all trying to be 'loyal' and not stir the pot. Including top brass, unfortunately.  Given the truth of the emails,  the denials are worthless.  THEY DID TRY TO HIDE 'MCCAIN' FROM TRUMP.   That's the freaking point.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
4.3.10  Sunshine  replied to  lib50 @4.3.9    5 years ago
Given the truth of the emails,

You mean stolen, leaked, and possibly edited emails?

We need to be more careful about misinformation....

The story was debunked....let the TDS go.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.3.11  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Sunshine @4.3.10    5 years ago

That's already been explained to you dear.  No debunking.  

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.3.12  JohnRussell  replied to  Sunshine @4.3.10    5 years ago

Next you'll be asking about the original birth certificate. 

Did you hear Trump jackass about this today? He spent more time running down John McCain again then he did defending his White House staff.  And, oh, he seems to be acknowledging that it happened. 

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
4.3.13  Sunshine  replied to  JohnRussell @4.3.12    5 years ago

Where is the original email?  Who leaked it?  Who stole it?  

TDS sufferers luv themselves leakers and thieves....

Split Personality
Professor Guide
4.3.14  Split Personality  replied to  lib50 @4.3.9    5 years ago

And Navy Public Relations is simply covering as many butts as possible.  That's their job.  It has nothing to do with telling the truth.

The same NPRO that while still refusing to endorse UFOs could be 'alien spacecraft' has recently started to update reporting processes for reporting

unidentified aircraft to collect more data without threatening the careers of our professional naval aviators.

Yes, it can be and has been a career ender to report the truth to the Navy and/or expect the truth from a military public relations officer.

Their job is PR and not the truth.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.3.15  JohnRussell  replied to  Sunshine @4.3.13    5 years ago

The way you defend Trump reminds me of someone trying to roll a boulder up the side of a mountain with their nose. 

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
4.3.16  Sunshine  replied to  JohnRussell @4.3.15    5 years ago

[deleted]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.3.17  JohnRussell  replied to  Sunshine @4.3.16    5 years ago

There is no such thing as TDS. 

It's like that old Harry Truman saying  “I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell.” 

There is no Trump derangement syndrome. We tell the Trumpsters the truth and they think it's derangement. 

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
4.3.19  Sunshine  replied to  JohnRussell @4.3.17    5 years ago
We tell the Trumpsters the truth and they think it's derangement.

What truth?  Stolen emails?  Perhaps sane people think that a person who would steal emails from the government would more than likely alter them too.

But you keep believing criminals.  Hold tight to your truths.........lol.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
4.3.20  katrix  replied to  Sunshine @4.3.19    5 years ago

Google "trump uss McCain well meaning" and you will see that Trump says it happened.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
4.3.21  Sunshine  replied to  JohnRussell @4.3.17    5 years ago
[de;eted]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.3.22  JohnRussell  replied to  Sunshine @4.3.19    5 years ago
What truth?  Stolen emails?  Perhaps sane people think that a person who would steal emails from the government would more than likely alter them too. But you keep believing criminals.  Hold tight to your truths.........lol.

Let me know when you are going to stop embarrassing yourself. 

Even Trump himself doesnt deny it happened. And that lying piece of crap denies everything. 

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
4.3.24  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Sunshine @4.3.7    5 years ago

One must never let something like the truth get in the way of a good scandal by the left...jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
4.3.25  Sunshine  replied to  katrix @4.3.20    5 years ago
you will see that Trump says it happened.

He said he didn't know anything about it.

You left that part out.  

lib50
Professor Silent
4.3.26  lib50  replied to  Sunshine @4.3.25    5 years ago
He said he didn't know anything about it.

That makes it even worse.  Think about it.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
4.3.27  cjcold  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @4.3.24    5 years ago
a good scandal by the left

Donald Trump has always created his own scandals. Why do you think his parents shipped him off to an all male military school in the first place? The Donald has always figured that girls were to be fucked whether they wanted to be or not. This trend has continued. Only now it's the U.S.A. getting screwed by Trump's insatiable greed for power. 

cjcold
Professor Quiet
4.3.28  cjcold  replied to  lib50 @4.3.26    5 years ago
Think about it.

A compulsive liar and seriously incompetent (+ a whole bunch of other intellect and personality flaws).

MrFrost
Professor Expert
4.3.29  MrFrost  replied to  Sunshine @4.3.19    5 years ago
But you keep believing criminals.

You believe everything trump says and he's a criminal. Pot, meet kettle. 

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
4.3.30  Sunshine  replied to  MrFrost @4.3.29    5 years ago
You believe everything trump says and he's a criminal.

That is funny.  Did you believe everything Hillary said?

I don't believe everything anyone says.  I also don't let hatred cloud reasoning and common sense.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.3.31  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Sunshine @4.3.30    5 years ago

You?  Reasoning and common sense?

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
4.3.32  Sunshine  replied to  Tessylo @4.3.31    5 years ago

good job, you typed more than two words. jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.3.33  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Sunshine @4.3.32    5 years ago

Denial. Denial. Denial.

TDS

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
4.3.34  Sunshine  replied to  Tessylo @4.3.33    5 years ago

three words...wow jrSmiley_81_smiley_image.gif

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.3.35  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Sunshine @4.3.34    5 years ago

Those seem to be the only words you know dear 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
4.3.36  MrFrost  replied to  Sunshine @4.3.30    5 years ago
That is funny.  Did you believe everything Hillary said?

But..........but...........but...........HILLARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jesus H. Christ... Were we talking about someone who lost an election 3 years ago? Or, were we talking about the current POTUS? 

Was it Hillary that the WH said the USS McCain needed to be moved for? Or was it the current POTUS?

[Jeopardy! music playing]

We get it, when you got nothing, deflect. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8  seeder  Tessylo    5 years ago

Some of y'all are bending over backwards to debunk something that's true.  Unbelievable the lengths you go to defend the indefensible.  

Hilarious!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
11  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

NAVY CONFIRMS MEDIA LIED ABOUT TRUMP AND THE USS JOHN MCCAIN

By Milne News, May 30, 2019

Ah, it never ends does it?

So basically The Wall Street Journal has been banging on about some claim from somewhere that the White House per President Trump’s request wanted the USS John McCain “out of sight” for when the President made his visit.

The WSJ also reported Wednesday that a tarp was put in place to cover the ship’s name.

Then a few media outlets, “journalists” and your all round anti-Trumper circulated the image of the USS John McCain with a tarp covering the name of the ship.

Is the claim true?

Of course not, this is the mainstream media we are talking about.

The picture was from Friday.

A spokesperson for the Pacific Fleet even confirmed the image is from Friday and the tarp was taken down on Saturday.

“We didn’t do anything to obstruct the name of the ship. The Wall Street Journal piece refers to a photo of a tarp covering the ship, that photo was taken Friday, May 24, the tarp was removed the following day,” another US Navy official said.

“All ships remained in normal configuration during the President’s visit” CDR Nate Christensen said.

Another claim is that the White House Military Office emailed lower-level US Navy officials about keeping the ship out of view. A claim reported by CNN of course.

The Wall Street Journal also reported that a barge had been moved so as to obscure the name of the ship. Also not true, one official said: “the barge had been there regularly. At one angle, you might not have seen the ship’s name, but the name was visible at all times.”

The ship was not moved nor was anything done to obscure John McCain’s name. This was also confirmed by Cmdr. Clay Doss, a spokesman for the 7th Fleet.

The US Navy’s chief of information, Rear Adm. Charlie Brown, also tweeted Wednesday night that the name had been visible.

“The name of USS John S. McCain was not obscured during the POTUS visit to Yokosuka on Memorial Day,” Brown said in a tweet. “The Navy is proud of that ship, its crew, its namesake and its heritage.”

President Trump tweeted Wednesday night that he was “not informed about anything having to do with the Navy Ship USS John S. McCain.”

Speaking to reporters on Thursday morning before leaving the White House, President Trump said that although he “is not a big fan” of McCain, he wouldn’t have supported moving the ship, obstructing it or covering the name.

So there it is folks, another ridiculous made up story from the mainstream media debunked…again.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
11.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @11    5 years ago

SNOPES rating for the ORIGINAL FALSE STORY:   "UNPROVEN"

lib50
Professor Silent
11.1.1  lib50  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @11.1    5 years ago

The requests were made, and if Trump didn't know it (we'll never really know, will we, the guy lies about literally everything).  The fact his people think this is what he wants and needs makes it even worse.  The guy has a problem with John McCain and his people tried to hide the name. regardless what ended up being done.  The crew wasn't allowed to be at Trump's function like the crews from other ships were.  FFS Buzz, would you want this jackass representing your country?   If there is a discrepancy in stories, I'll pick the one opposite of what Trump and his sycophants say.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
11.1.2  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @11.1    5 years ago

It's true Buzz.  Mind your business.  LOL.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
11.1.3  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @11.1    5 years ago

PROVEN.  TRUE.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
11.2  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @11    5 years ago

NOT DEBUNKED, AGAIN.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
11.3  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @11    5 years ago
Politics

White House Wanted USS John McCain 'Out of Sight' for Trump: Report

507bd910-cac5-11e5-8654-758dbb262c4b_f265146a4da2939fb88c11a40f383bd3.jpg Colin Keatinge 22 hours ago 
95d16fc0-82f5-11e9-99d7-0b2290c9a7f3
Scroll back up to restore default view.
The White House called for the U.S. Navy to move the warship USS John S. McCain “out of sight” before President Donald Trump’s visit to Japan, the Wall Street Journal reported, citing an email reviewed by the newspaper.A U.S. Indo-Pacific Command official, in an email May 15 to U.S. Navy and Air Force officials, laid out proposals for Trump’s arrival that he said had resulted from talks between the White House Military Office and the U.S. Navy’s Seventh Fleet, according to the WSJ. That included the directive: “USS John McCain needs to be out of sight,” according to the Journal. “Please confirm #3 will be satisfied,” the newspaper cited the official as writing.

The ship is currently under repair and difficult to move following a 2017 collision, the newspaper said. A tarp was hung over the ship’s name ahead of Trump’s visit, according to the WSJ, citing photos it reviewed. Sailors were directed to remove any coverings from the ship that bore its name, the Journal said. It also reported that sailors on the ship who typically wear hats with the vessel’s name on it were given the day off.

The White House declined to respond to queries about the reason for the directive or where it came from, the WSJ said. Trump himself subsequently tweeted:

undefined

Meanwhile, Acting Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan said Thursday that he hadn’t had knowledge of any such events.

“I never authorized, I never approved any action around the movement or activity regarding that ship. Furthermore, I would never dishonor the memory of a great American patriot like Senator McCain,” he told reporters while en route Singapore. “I also think it is important, I’d never disrespect the young men and women that crew that ship. I’ve asked my chief of staff to look into the matter.”Trump has repeatedly attacked John McCain, who died in August, saying the late senator wrongly supported the war in Iraq, failed to “get the job done” for veterans and “badly” hurt the Republican party and the nation by voting against repealing Obamacare.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
11.4  Split Personality  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @11    5 years ago
So there it is folks, another ridiculous made up story from the mainstream media debunked…again.

I was involved with several Navy aviation accidents, both training accidents and airshow accidents in which there were pilots killed and a great deal of private property damage and I can tell you that it was almost always pilot error, but the Navy Public Relation office/officer  always made sure that the final outcome was mechanical failure.  Presumably for both the families sake and to reduce the capital settlement with private citizens for property damages.

Now this was 20 plus years ago, but I have absolutely no doubt that the Navy is lying about the Friday, Saturday thing.

The White House Military office apparently requested from the Commander 7TH Fleet that the USS McCain not be obvious.

That order did not come from Trump, and I personally have not seen that accusation.

Your hair on fire outrage of American political nonsense is amusing considering your nationality and location.

Next you will be telling us lawyers aren't allowed to lie./s

Tessylo
Professor Principal
11.4.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Split Personality @11.4    5 years ago

'Your hair on fire outrage of American political nonsense is amusing considering your nationality and location.'

jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
11.4.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Split Personality @11.4    5 years ago

YOU'RE amused!!!  LOLOLOL  I'm not at ALL outraged.  You're amusing the whole world.

"...considering your nationality and location." - makes my opinions a lot more objective than yours.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
11.4.7  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @11.4.2    5 years ago

This is not directed to Buzz alone, but to everyone who participated in this thread after this point. 

Please stop making personal snipes at each other. Any comments like the ones I removed will get points. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
12  seeder  Tessylo    5 years ago

Buzz - the WSJ and Fortune - are not the mainstream media.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
12.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Tessylo @12    5 years ago

When Snopes changes its designation from "Unproven" to "True", I'll agree that it's true.  Until then.......maybe it is and maybe it isn't.  By the way, posting on NT IS my business, but I'll be happy not to have any connection or contact with you provided you agree vice versa.  Don't think I don't notice that you jump at the chance to thumb-up virtually every insult and smear aimed at me or even any disagreement.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
12.1.2  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @12.1    5 years ago

It gives me great pleasure to vote against you.  I'll do it every chance I get.  Nothing you can do about it.  

Poor baby.  Sniff.  Need a tissue?

MrFrost
Professor Expert
13  MrFrost    5 years ago

Sounds like trumps staff knows that he is an easily triggered snowflake with the maturity of a 6 year old. Maybe they should get him a comfort puppy for his safe space when he is done screaming at the sky.