╌>

FDA holds first public hearing on CBD

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  5 years ago  •  45 comments

FDA holds first public hearing on CBD
There’s only one CBD drug approved for treating epilepsy in some children, but there are many unproven claims that CBD can relieve anxiety and pain, and even help conditions like Alzheimer’s and autism.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    5 years ago

Given that there are so many FDA drugs that are more dangerous than this one, I am not sure what the big fuss is about. What do you think?

pat wilson
Professor Participates
2  pat wilson    5 years ago

There should be no fuss. Its an excellent, clean remedy for many ailments.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1  Texan1211  replied to  pat wilson @2    5 years ago

I am unfamiliar with CBD. I have heard of it but never seen or used it. How does one take it, is it prescribed, do you smoke it or just ingest it, etc?

Dulay
Professor Expert
2.1.1  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1    5 years ago

My mother in law has rheumatoid arthritis of the spine and has been in pain for a couple of decades. We got her CBD oil. She takes a dropper full sublingually one a day and is almost pain free. 

My wife started using it after her hip replacement and swears by it. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @2.1.1    5 years ago

Thanks for the info.

My wife suffers with psoriatic arthritis, and she smokes weed but hasn't tried the CBD.

I have heard of people vaping it?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @2.1.1    5 years ago

Is CBD legal everywhere, or just in some states? My wife is from Michigan and goes up at least twice a year, so maybe she could bring some home or mail it?

Iamak47
Freshman Silent
2.1.4  Iamak47  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.2    5 years ago

Yes, there are some CBD vape juices available, but I think the most effective way to dose is sublingual and taken with food.

I use Bluegrass Hemp oil and have for over a year now.  My back is pretty trashed with a variety of issues, the most painful and prominent being facet arthropothy.  Been on just about every FDA approved anti-inflammatory with their various side effects and nothing has been as effective as CBD.  

My take:

Anti-inflammatory- awesome!

analgesic- about as good as the usual OTC stuff.......Advil, Tylenol etc. but without the stomach issues.

sleep, anxiety- for me, I have an overall sense of well-being.  Not euphoric like opioids, but there’s definitely some mood altering properties.

I don’t trust the FDA anymore.  Their “approved” drugs had me heading in a bad direction.  They can kiss my ass.

Dulay
Professor Expert
2.1.5  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.3    5 years ago

You can order it online and I don't think they care where you live. 

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
2.1.6  SteevieGee  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.3    5 years ago

It's probably a felony to mail it.  Hey, Texans are tough they can bite down on a piece of rawhide for the pain.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.7  Texan1211  replied to  SteevieGee @2.1.6    5 years ago
Hey, Texans are tough they can bite down on a piece of rawhide for the pain

My wife is from Michigan, as previously stated.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.8  Texan1211  replied to  SteevieGee @2.1.6    5 years ago
Hey, Texans are tough

I dare say my wife is at least as tough as you are. She has lived with a crippling disease for over 20 years now--when her doctors told her would most likely be wheelchair-bound about 12 years ago. She takes infusions of Remicade every 6 weeks.

Ender
Professor Principal
2.1.9  Ender  replied to  SteevieGee @2.1.6    5 years ago

It can be mailed for now. I think the FDA is looking into it to try to give it a classification.

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
2.1.10  SteevieGee  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.8    5 years ago

CBD would very likely help her.  It helps Mrs. Gee a lot.  She had a stroke several years ago and has a prescription for Oxy but doesn't like it.  It's too bad that her insurance won't pay for CBD.  We have to buy it ourselves.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
2.1.11  MrFrost  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.3    5 years ago
Is CBD legal everywhere, or just in some states?

If I am not mistaken it depends on what the CBD is made from. It can be made from all sorts of plants and trees. Locally they sell CBD water in the grocery store but it's made from tree bark. Here in WA. you can just buy weed and smoke away, (not my thing but I admit I do partake from time to time). The backwards part of the law is that weed stores cannot sell CBD oil if it has no THC. 

CBD water tastes terrible, just an FYI. 

Ender
Professor Principal
2.1.12  Ender  replied to  MrFrost @2.1.11    5 years ago

I thought real CDB came from the hemp plant. They just produced a strain with very low THC.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
2.1.13  MrFrost  replied to  Ender @2.1.12    5 years ago

Depends on your point of view I suppose. As to it's production I honestly don't know...but I did find this site, looks like an excellent resource. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
2.1.14  MrFrost  replied to  SteevieGee @2.1.6    5 years ago
It's probably a felony to mail it. 

If it has THC in it, then yes, it would be a felony. 

epistte
Junior Guide
2.1.15  epistte  replied to  MrFrost @2.1.14    5 years ago
If it has THC in it, then yes, it would be a felony. 

Legal CBD is supposed to only have 0.3% THC and it must be made from hemp and not marijuana.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.2  Greg Jones  replied to  pat wilson @2    5 years ago
Its an excellent, clean remedy for many ailments

Some documentation and scientific evidence would bolster your claim.

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
2.2.1  SteevieGee  replied to  Greg Jones @2.2    5 years ago

Researching cannabis is a federal crime so we'll just have to rely on the testimony of tens of millions of users for evidence.

Ender
Professor Principal
2.2.2  Ender  replied to  SteevieGee @2.2.1    5 years ago

Some places are allowed to do it. In my state it is illegal yet our state college has one of the largest legal crops in the states. Supposedly for research.

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
3  Nerm_L    5 years ago

Now that there is real money involved, it's time to scrape some off the top.  The FDA does for big pharma what the NRA does for guns.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3.1  Greg Jones  replied to  Nerm_L @3    5 years ago

Big business indeed. Here in the Denver Metro Area, there are cannabis shops seemingly everywhere.

The stuff is really pricey, and the taxes are high.....the governments are lovin' it.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
4  Bob Nelson    5 years ago

There is no FDA surveillance at all on "food supplements", so this seems silly.

It doesn't really matter whether CBD is really helpful, or if it's a placebo. People who use it feel better, and it apparently does no harm.

What was the question??

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
4.1  Dean Moriarty  replied to  Bob Nelson @4    5 years ago

I’m not so sure it’s harmless. There are some people using it for glaucoma and some studies show it is harmful for those with glaucoma as it might raise the eye pressure. 

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
4.1.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  Dean Moriarty @4.1    5 years ago

I have no idea. It seems that unless there's blatant proof - spontaneous remissions or people falling dead - we always get contradictory advice.

Most medicines have side-effects.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
4.2  Greg Jones  replied to  Bob Nelson @4    5 years ago

I'm not sure that all the effects from this drug are beneficial.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
4.2.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  Greg Jones @4.2    5 years ago

I very never heard of any drug... or medecine...  or supplement... or anything else you swallow... that is "all beneficial".

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
4.2.2  SteevieGee  replied to  Greg Jones @4.2    5 years ago

Don't use it then.  You can always use Oxycontin instead.  Then you can benefit from cold sweats, confusion, dizziness, difficulty in breathing, bloating, blood in urine, painful urination, hives, nausea, severe constipation, seizures, vomiting, diarrhea, and trembling of hands and feet.  Not to mention addiction and death.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
4.2.3  Greg Jones  replied to  SteevieGee @4.2.2    5 years ago

No need to get triggered and testy. The link in comment above says too much reliance on marijuana might not be a good thing. High levels of THC or long term usage can lead to some serious consequences. Take time to educate yourself.

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
4.2.4  SteevieGee  replied to  Greg Jones @4.2.3    5 years ago

I'm very educated on the subject.  I do get testy when people pull up random google pages and use them to advocate for the banning of safe substances that make Mrs. Gee's life bearable.  It's not for everyone but for some it's pretty awesome.

Iamak47
Freshman Silent
4.2.5  Iamak47  replied to  Greg Jones @4.2.3    5 years ago
 High levels of THC or long term usage can lead to some serious consequences.

Yes it can, but that’s not what we’re talking about.  CBD is not marijuana.

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
5  Colour Me Free    5 years ago

CBD was not a magic elixir for me, I received no benefit, a week is not a fair trial period though .. but they did however thin my blood to a unsafe level of 4.  I took Warfarin for years and now take Eliquis .. I know that I need to have my INR levels tested weekly when I do something different like taking a new supplement .. 

I am THRILLED for those finding relief from pain .. it has to be amazing!  I could even say I am jealous .. I cannot imagine what it would be like to spend a day pain free, I cannot escape my pain, yet push through it in order to keep a facsimile of a normal life.  My youngest son was 7 when I got injured .. 10 when I had a blood clot and a stroke.  (Not so) lil man kept me grounded.  Everything in life I did next was for him .. he graduates high school this coming weekend - and was awarded "Master of Théâtre" last night .. it has not been awarded to a student in 5 years  … okay I am done....

Ender
Professor Principal
5.1  Ender  replied to  Colour Me Free @5    5 years ago

From what I gather there are different strains that can relieve different ailments.

Some for insomnia, pain relief, anxiety, etc.

Never heard about it thinning blood though. I guess it is like anything. People can have different reactions.

Congrats for your son.

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
5.1.1  Colour Me Free  replied to  Ender @5.1    5 years ago
Some for insomnia, pain relief, anxiety, etc.

Yes, I know.  They are appearing in every gas station / convenient store in Montana.  It is a bit disturbing .. no one knows what is in that - it could have opioids .. when I try it again I will be contacting the Stanley Brothers in Colorado, they take the CBD very seriously...

Never heard about it thinning blood though. I guess it is like anything. People can have different reactions.

In fairness to CBD's, there is no proof that it was the CBD - yet that was the only change and I specifically tested before I started and at the end of the week.  I have never spoken to a CBD user that is taking blood thinners, so I have nothing to compare my results to.. as you said reactions can vary .. 

Congrats for your son.

Thank you ..  my pride in him glows in the dark!  I wish my mom was here to see him now!

MrFrost
Professor Expert
6  MrFrost    5 years ago

Alcohol is far.....FAR more damaging to the human body than weed is, but weed is still illegal federally... Literally makes no sense at all. 

Ender
Professor Principal
6.1  Ender  replied to  MrFrost @6    5 years ago

Pills are far more dangerous too yet one only needs a script.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
6.1.1  MrFrost  replied to  Ender @6.1    5 years ago

Very true! And you don't even need to smoke weed, you can just eat it. I do so very rarely, just depends on how bad the aches and pains are but when I do eat some, I sleep like a baby.