The revoltingly fake christianity of Franklin Graham

Begin audio at the 16:00 mark to hear about Graham

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  author  JohnRussell    5 years ago

I thought that you can advance the audio, but evidently that is not the case. 

On this site you can begin the audio at the 16:00 mark. 

It's worth the small effort to do this. 

The audio is from the John Fugelsang podcast. 

Ender
Professor Principal
1.1  Ender  replied to  JohnRussell @1    5 years ago

It let me move it.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  author  JohnRussell    5 years ago

www.cnn.com

Franklin Graham wants the nation to pray for Trump on Sunday. But other Christians call it propaganda

Daniel Burke, CNN Religion Editor
7-8 minutes

(CNN) While on a preaching tour in Vermont a few weeks ago, Franklin Graham got an idea: God had helped Donald Trump reach the White House, and now the President needed divine aid again.

Like no President before him, Trump was under attack, Graham said. From Democrats, Republicans, the media, even powers and principalities beyond the human realm. His presidency was in peril, the country at a moral crossroads.

So Graham decided to do what evangelists do: pray, preferably with lots of other people. After calling evangelical allies, he announced plans to name this Sunday, June 2, as a "special day of prayer" to protect Trump from his "enemies."

"We're on the edge of a precipice," Graham said. "Time is short. We need to pray for God to intervene. We need to ask God to protect, strengthen, encourage, and guide the President."

In some respects, the "Pray For Trump" day seems designed to drive positive media coverage of the President, shifting the narrative from a presidency in peril to one buoyed by Trump's most loyal bloc: white evangelicals. Graham himself has no public events planned on June 2, outside of a prayer he'll post on Facebook and a television appearance on Fox News.

Sunday's event is a near-perfect embodiment of political evangelicalism in the Age of Trump: It blends Christian nationalism, the idea that the United States has a special place in God's plans and Trump is God's agent; social media, where it's hard to separate the wheat of grassroots support from the chaff of Russian bots; and it has seriously irked Christians who say Graham and others have sold their souls for a mess of political pottage.

Some have accused Graham of "weaponizing" prayer and turning it into a pro-Trump propaganda tool.

"He's doing so much to discredit the Christian witness,"  said Peter Wehner , an evangelical who served two Republican presidents in the White House.

Praying for politicians is commonplace in American churches, often occupying a spot in services somewhere between the sermon and the potluck announcements. But Graham's idea is more political -- and more partisan, some Christians say. It's also a significant escalation in white evangelicals' public support for Trump at a critical moment in his presidency.

Just this week, special counsel Robert Mueller spoke publicly for the first time about his 22-month investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election. Since then, calls for Congress to impeach the President have grown, even from within Trump's own Republican Party.

Graham said the White House is aware of his plans but would not say if he has talked to Trump about them.

As of Thursday, 185,000 people have liked Graham's Facebook post announcing the event and 46,000 more have shared it. More than 300 conservative Christian leaders have pledged to lead prayers for the chief executive.

Graham, the son of famed evangelist Billy Graham and president of the evangelical aid group Samaritan's Purse, has a huge following on social media, where he regularly shares his support for Trump and other conservative politicians. (In contrast, he questioned President Obama's Christian faith.)

But the evangelist said he's never organized an event like this before.

Because of his charity work and family name, Graham carries immense influence over American evangelicals, said John Fea, author of "Believe Me: The Evangelical Road to Donald Trump."

"What he says politically is going to sway how many American evangelicals vote and pray."

But Fea, a historian at Messiah College in Pennsylvania, is among the evangelicals critical of Graham's pro-Trump prayer event.

The historian notes that Graham ended his Facebook post with a dark biblical warning about the array of spiritual forces aligned against contemporary Christians.

"That's a code verse," Fea said. "It sends a clear message to his followers that there is something at work here beyond politics. He's saying that America is under spiritual attack and equating the attacks on Trump with that."

Fears of alienating millennials with partisanship

Graham said he doesn't agree with all of Trump's policies and that God commands Christians to pray for their secular leaders. "If he's a good President, it benefits every American of every race and gender." Still, Graham acknowledged that Trump has been an especially attentive patron to his evangelical base, calling him the "most pro-Christian President in my lifetime."

But other evangelicals have noted the obvious: That Trump's actions as President have not, and likely will not, benefit everyone.

"Nothing in the call to prayer calls Trump to repentance for his many lies, for his support for ruthless dictators around the world, for his obstructions of reasonable congressional oversight, or for the authorization of cruel treatment of asylum seekers at the border,"  wrote Warren Throckmorton , a psychology professor at Grove City College in Pennsylvania and a close observer of evangelical politics.

Asked how he would answer critics who say that Trump and his evangelical allies are actually a threat to the church, Graham declined to engage the question. "I wouldn't even answer a person like that. I don't think it's valid at all."

But there is some evidence that high partisanship in American Christianity has turned many millennials away from organized religion.

"A leading explanation for the recent surge in the percentage of Americans claiming no religious affiliation is politics," concludes  a recent paper  by four prominent political scientists. "Liberals and Democrats (are) rejecting organized religion as traditionalist religion becomes associated with conservatism and the Republican Party."

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3  Greg Jones    5 years ago

I never doubted the faith or sincerity of his father, Billy Graham, who was responsible for the salvation of thousands, if not millions, of people. The same could be said of his singer, George Beverly Shea. 

Franklin Graham can support anyone he wants to. It's called freedom of speech. Even Pelosi has called upon everyone to pray for Trump

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Greg Jones @3    5 years ago

Since you commented right away, I know you didnt listen to the audio. 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3.1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1    5 years ago

The speaker is broken on this computer, and the keyboard quite working on the other one.

So I read the article instead.

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.2  Ender  replied to  Greg Jones @3.1.1    5 years ago

It is about picking and choosing what so called laws some follow and some ignore from Leviticus. 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.3  It Is ME  replied to  Ender @3.1.2    5 years ago
It is about picking and choosing what so called laws some follow and some ignore from Leviticus. 

Well.....that's an everyday occurrence for EVERYONE.....no matter Race, Religion....etc. !

What's the big deal NOW ?

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.4  Ender  replied to  It Is ME @3.1.3    5 years ago

The big deal is as you have said, an everyday occurrence. People just picking and choosing certain aspects, in order to justify bigotry of others, Ie. homosexuality.

Also in the audio, he was saying that Christianity came about and Jesus himself decried some of the ancient laws.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.5  It Is ME  replied to  Ender @3.1.4    5 years ago
People just picking and choosing certain aspects, in order to justify bigotry of others, Ie. homosexuality.

Doesn't take ANY "Religion" for that to occur.

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.6  Ender  replied to  It Is ME @3.1.5    5 years ago

Yet some us it as their justification.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.7  It Is ME  replied to  Ender @3.1.6    5 years ago
Yet some us it as their justification.

Some !

What about the rest ?

What's the excuse then ?

Don't forget the age ol' Mantra..... Some.... aren't the many.... when it comes to "Blame" !

But I guess it depends on "Need" of argument !

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.8  Ender  replied to  It Is ME @3.1.7    5 years ago

Why should I talk about the rest?

This article is about supposed religious people not going by their own teachings.

Trying to change the narrative to others is deflection.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.9  It Is ME  replied to  Ender @3.1.8    5 years ago
Why should I talk about the rest?

Ummmmmmm ….. 'cause "WE" are all inclusive ?

If there is a law to not spit on the sidewalk, but you do it anyway.... hmmmmmm

Non-Religious people don't even follow Man-made LAWS. 

Religion isn't about "Perfection". If that were the case, we'd all be "GODS" !

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.10  Ender  replied to  It Is ME @3.1.9    5 years ago

Again, this is about Christians not following the teachings of their own savior Jesus.

Instead using the old testament for their own wants and needs.

He is pushing a narrative that is hypocritical of his own teaching.

He is ignoring certain aspects of his own teaching just to further a political agenda.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.11  It Is ME  replied to  Ender @3.1.10    5 years ago

[deleted]

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.12  Ender  replied to  It Is ME @3.1.11    5 years ago

Again, it was about Graham using certain biblical references to further his agenda, while ignoring some from the same book. Leviticus says that adulterers can be killed yet he says that trump, a serial adulterer was sent by god.

He is ignoring his own teaching to further a political agenda.

It is not about 'others'.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.13  It Is ME  replied to  Ender @3.1.12    5 years ago
it was about Graham using certain biblical references to further his agenda

Is it ….. HIS AGENDA ….. HIS ALONE ?

"Leviticus says that adulterers can be killed"

Did you get the word ….. CAN ?

"He is ignoring his own teaching to further a political agenda."

It's not about others" !

The Contradictions in society are menacing ! If one is allowed to do it, the other should be given the same latitude.

Religion is all about what happens to one in the end. The in-between is a just prerequisite of what might help ! Like college courses. There are certain items needed, in order to go to the next level. If one fails, you'll know it when "Graduation" comes around. your either "IN"....or your "NOT" !

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.14  Ender  replied to  It Is ME @3.1.13    5 years ago

Leviticus 20:10   New International Version (NIV)

10  “‘If a man commits adultery with another man’s wife —with the wife of his neighbor—both the adulterer and the adulteress are to be put to death.

Link

Don't understand what kind of point you are trying to make. If one person does it all should be allowed?

I am pretty sure others follow suit yet it does not excuse his hypocritical stance.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.15  It Is ME  replied to  Ender @3.1.14    5 years ago

[deleted]

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.16  Ender  replied to  It Is ME @3.1.15    5 years ago

removed for context

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.17  It Is ME  replied to  Ender @3.1.16    5 years ago
What I would call hypocritical are the ones that espouse certain values yet have to dip into those funds themselves.

Sure …. why not !

Me ? I find Hypocrites are a dime a dozen.....even from the "Saintly" !

Even I can be a hypocrite every blue moon. It all depends on the situation for me. I haven't got my "Wings" yet. jrSmiley_18_smiley_image.gif

I just "Type". "Stones "are waaaaaaay to finite !

Ya just gotta take it one day at a time. jrSmiley_15_smiley_image.gif

Don Overton
Sophomore Quiet
3.1.18  Don Overton  replied to  Greg Jones @3.1.1    5 years ago

Doubtful

Don Overton
Sophomore Quiet
3.1.19  Don Overton  replied to  Ender @3.1.10    5 years ago

Ender all iim is doing is arguing for argument sake ignore him

Don Overton
Sophomore Quiet
3.2  Don Overton  replied to  Greg Jones @3    5 years ago

Again you ignore the article and what it's about

Ender
Professor Principal
4  Ender    5 years ago

He grew up under his fathers shadow.

He is only addicted to power and money.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
4.1  Greg Jones  replied to  Ender @4    5 years ago

And saving sinners, don't forget that!

Ender
Professor Principal
4.1.1  Ender  replied to  Greg Jones @4.1    5 years ago

More like taking money from perceived sinners.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
4.1.2  Thrawn 31  replied to  Greg Jones @4.1    5 years ago

You mean grifting? 

Don Overton
Sophomore Quiet
4.1.3  Don Overton  replied to  Greg Jones @4.1    5 years ago

He doesn't care about anything but money and out doing his dad which he has failed at

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Ender @4    5 years ago

I think he's a closet Dominionist

Ender
Professor Principal
4.2.1  Ender  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.2    5 years ago

I think there are a couple on this forum.

evilone
Professor Guide
4.2.2  evilone  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.2    5 years ago
I think he's a closet Dominionist

I think he's out of the closet these days.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
5  Bob Nelson    5 years ago

Christ's message is love and inclusion. Graham's message is hate and exclusion. The two are opposites.

A person may follow Christ. A person may follow Graham. A person cannot follow both.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
6  bbl-1    5 years ago

Franklin Graham and all the rest.  Heads bowed.  Wallets packed.

Doesn't matter a whit.  The only thing that really matters in 'small c world' is, "When you're a star you can do anything."

CB
Professor Principal
7  CB    5 years ago

I want to write something, I just do not know what will help.  I tell you what: In my own way I will continue to carry on the good fight of faith in God (in a changing and trying time).

MrFrost
Professor Expert
8  MrFrost    5 years ago

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
9  Thrawn 31    5 years ago

Show me a "christian" and I will point to a fake christian. 

freepress
Freshman Silent
10  freepress    5 years ago

Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker come to mind any time I see or hear a high profile "evangelical". It has become a cult of money and idol worship rather than a religion. Religion is as corrupt as it comes, whether it is child sexual abuse or abuse of vulnerable people who hand over their hard earned money to religious grifters.

It has become so corrupt that I really think they should tax any and all churches, and provide oversight to churches to verify theft of parishioners money and more easily investigate child abuse.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
11  MrFrost    5 years ago

The last real Christian was Jesus. 

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
11.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  MrFrost @11    5 years ago

There are probably lots of real Christians. The thing is... "Christian leader" is incoherent. As soon as someone - anyone - starts "leading", telling others what to believe... Christ is forgotten, replaced by the "leader's" dogma. So "real Christians" necessarily make no noise

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
11.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  MrFrost @11    5 years ago

Actually, I know quite a few real Christians. They are important to me.

Somebody has to pray for my  soul.....

CB
Professor Principal
11.2.1  CB  replied to  Trout Giggles @11.2    5 years ago

Thank you for sharing this, dear Trout G'! Stand up people give me hope in moments such as this.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
11.2.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  CB @11.2.1    5 years ago

(((CB)))

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
12  livefreeordie    5 years ago

Jesus taught more about hell and judgment than anyone in Scripture.  Not because of hate but because of love.  Warning people and calling them to change their ways so that they don’t go to hell Israel love. Not doing so is apathy at best, who’s result is no better than hate.  This fact is less shocking when one recognizes that the Bible teaches that hell is a real place and that Jesus himself as Judge sends people there (John 5.22-29). 

Consider Jesus’ words:

“For just as the Father raises the dead and gives them life, even so the Son also gives live to whom He wishes. For not even the Father judges anyone, but He has given all judgment to the Son, in order that all may honor the Son, even as they honor the Father. He who does not honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent Him” (John 5.21-23).

Jesus is the judge of humanity. Hell is a real place. This is the reason Jesus warned men about it. The verses below demonstrate the consistent revelation of the doctrine of hell and judgment throughout Scripture.

Most people believe one goes to hell because one has done bad things, i.e., because of sin. God solved the sin problem with Christ’s death on the cross and His glorious resurrection. Ultimately, the Bible teaches that one goes to hell because he has rejected God’s love and Christ’s work on the cross. John recorded what he saw in the Lord’s revelation to him of the final judgment. He wrote:

“And I saw a great white throne and Him who sat upon it, from whose presence earth and heaven fled away, and no place was found for them. And I saw the dead, the great and the small, standing before the throne, and books were opened; and another book was opened, which is the book of life; and the dead were judged from the things which were written in the books, according to their deeds. And the sea gave up the dead which were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead which were in them; and they were judged, every one of them according to their deeds. And death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death, the lake of fire. And if anyone’s name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire (Revelation 20.11-15).”

The Biblical account of judgment is that only when one’s name is not found in the “book of life” is one judged for his works or deeds (cf. Romans 2.6). The book of deeds contains a record of the works one did during his life. If one is not found in the book of life, if no record exists of one having believed the gospel that Christ died for them and rose from the dead, then the basis for judgment becomes one’s “works”, i.e. one’s deeds–good works and evil works. This is what Jesus meant when he declared in John:

“He said therefore again to them, “I go away, and you shall seek Me, and shall die in your sin; where I am going, you cannot come” (John 8.21).

“I said therefore to you, that you shall die in your sins; for unless you believe that I am He, you shall die in your sins” (John 8.24).

I am He is eigo emi in the Greek the same as Exodus 3:14 in the Septuagint text.  Jesus identifies Himself as YHWH and that refusal to come to that acknowledgement separates you from the presence of God and heaven

Matt 25:41-46 (Sheep and Goats (conclusion)) Then he will say to those on his left, “Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.” They also will answer, “Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?” He will reply, “Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.” Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.

Matt 10:28 Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matt 11:23 And you, Capernaum! You won’t be lifted up to heaven, will you? You’ll go down to Hell! Because if the miracles that happened in you had taken place in Sodom, it would have remained to this day. 

Matt 12:36 But I tell you that everyone will have to give account on the day of judgment for every empty word they have spoken. For by your words you will be acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned. 

Matt 13: 24-30 Jesus told them another parable: “The kingdom of heaven is like a man who sowed good seed in his field. But while everyone was sleeping, his enemy came and sowed weeds among the wheat, and went away.  When the wheat sprouted and formed heads, then the weeds also appeared. The owner’s servants came to him and said, ‘Sir, didn’t you sow good seed in your field? Where then did the weeds come from?’ ‘An enemy did this,’ he replied. The servants asked him, ‘Do you want us to go and pull them up?’  ‘No,’ he answered, ‘because while you are pulling the weeds, you may uproot the wheat with them. Let both grow together until the harvest. At that time, I will tell the harvesters, ‘First, collect the weeds and tie them in bundles to be burned; then gather the wheat and bring it into my barn”

Matt 23:33 You serpents, you brood of vipers, how will you escape the sentence of hell?

Mark 9:42–48 (Giving Scandal) If anyone causes one of these little ones—those who believe in me—to stumble, it would be better for them if a large millstone were hung around their neck and they were thrown into the sea. If your hand causes you to stumble, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life maimed than with two hands to go into hell, where the fire never goes out. And if your foot causes you to stumble, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life crippled than to have two feet and be thrown into hell. And if your eye causes you to stumble, pluck it out. It is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye than to have two eyes and be thrown into hell, where “the worms that eat them do not die, and the fire is not quenched.”

Luke 13:22-30 Then Jesus went through the towns and villages, teaching as he made his way to Jerusalem. Someone asked him, “Lord, are only a few people going to be saved?” He said to them, “Make every effort to enter through the narrow door, because many, I tell you, will try to enter and will not be able to. Once the owner of the house gets up and closes the door, you will stand outside knocking and pleading, ‘Sir, open the door for us.’ “But he will answer, ‘I don’t know you or where you come from.’ “Then you will say, ‘We ate and drank with you, and you taught in our streets.’ “But he will reply, ‘I don’t know you or where you come from. Away from me, all you evildoers!’  “There will be weeping there, and gnashing of teeth, when you see Abraham, Isaac and Jacob and all the prophets in the kingdom of God, but you yourselves thrown out. People will come from east and west and north and south, and will take their places at the feast in the kingdom of God. Indeed, there are those who are last who will be first, and first who will be last.”

I am the vine, and you are the branches. If you abide in Me and I in you, you will bear great fruit. Without Me, you will accomplish nothing. If anyone does not abide in Me, he is like a branch that is tossed out and shrivels up and is later gathered to be tossed into the fire to burn.

John 15:5-6 

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
12.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  livefreeordie @12    5 years ago

Now... re-read those texts with this in mind:
 - Jesus gave us His supreme commandment, "Love God and one your neighbor."
 - God is good. God can do no evil.
 - The "judge" for each of us is... our own conscience. If we follow Christ - "love our neighbor" - our conscience is at ease - if there is an afterlife, we will join God the Good easily. Alternatively, we may practice evil - racism for example - and our approach to God the Good will be... slow....

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
12.1.1  livefreeordie  replied to  Bob Nelson @12.1    5 years ago

[Removed]