╌>

YouTube star who tricked a homeless man into eating Oreos filled with toothpaste because it would 'clean his teeth' gets 15 months in prison

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  5 years ago  •  8 comments

YouTube star who tricked a homeless man into eating Oreos filled with toothpaste because it would 'clean his teeth' gets 15 months in prison

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

www.msn.com

maxresdefault.jpg

YouTube prankster who tricked a homeless man into eating Oreos filled with toothpaste was sentenced to 15 months in prison by a Spanish court on Friday.A Barcelona court ordered Kanghua Ren to also pay $22,300 in compensation.Since he is a first-time offender, Spanish law usually suspends prison time for those sentenced to less than two years, according to The New York Times. The court, however, did order Ren's social media accounts on YouTube and other platforms to be suspended for five years. 

Ren, who video blogs as RetSet, filmed himself in January 2017 replacing the white filling in a whole packet of the biscuits with toothpaste and re-packaging it.The then-19-year-old then gave them to a homeless man named Gheorge L he found on the streets of Barcelona.Gheorge, 53, said he felt sick and threw up five minutes after eating them, and feared for his life as he didn't know RetSet or what was in them.'Maybe I've gone a bit far, but look at the positive side: This will help him clean his teeth. I think he hasn't cleaned them since he became poor,' RetSet joked in the video.RetSet earned $2,200 in advertising revenue through his channel that has more than a million subscribers, according to court documents seen by El Pais.

maxresdefault.jpg

The blogger was charged with a 'crime against moral integrity' with prosecutors initially seeking a two-year jail term and restitution to Gheorge.After facing backlash from his viewers, RetSet went back to Gheorge in another video to see how he liked the toothpaste-filled Oreos.'People exaggerate over jokes in the street (played) on a beggar, when surely if it's done to a normal person they wouldn't say anything,' he said.He intended to spend a night on the street with the homeless Romanian man but a witness called police.RetSet later deleted the videos and offered Gheorge about $380 to keep quiet so he could 're-establish his image' and 'ingratiate himself with public opinion'.Gheorge said no one had ever treated him so badly in all the time he had lived on the street.

RetSet filled sandwiches with cat feces and fed them to schoolchildren and elderly people in another sick prank, the court heard.    He defended himself in court, saying: 'I do things to mount a show: People like what is morbid.''This was not an isolated act,' the judge, Rosa Aragonés, said when handing down her verdict.According to Spanish media, Ren was born in China, but grew up in Barcelona. 

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    5 years ago
'People exaggerate over jokes in the street (played) on a beggar, when surely if it's done to a normal person they wouldn't say anything,' he said.

....RetSet filled sandwiches with cat feces and fed them to schoolchildren and elderly people in another sick prank, the court heard.    He defended himself in court, saying: 'I do things to mount a show: People like what is morbid.'

I'd lock him up and throw away the key. See how funny he thought that was. 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2  Greg Jones    5 years ago

The asshole should have got 15 years!

I don't see this clown having a good ending, since he will probably repeat this sick behavior to "mount a show".

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
2.1  Freefaller  replied to  Greg Jones @2    5 years ago

You may be right but as an optimist I'm gonna hope that he now realizes that being a dickhead has consequences

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  seeder  JohnRussell    5 years ago

This guy is evidently making money appealing to the worst in people. Our societies are becoming freak shows. 

PJ
Masters Quiet
3.1  PJ  replied to  JohnRussell @3    5 years ago
This guy is evidently making money appealing to the worst in people.

Hmmmmm.........who does this remind me of

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4  Perrie Halpern R.A.    5 years ago

What a moron and totally cruel. I'm glad he got 15 months. He should have gotten more. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5  Trout Giggles    5 years ago

What a .......

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6  TᵢG    5 years ago

I will likely never understand why some people are capable of cruelty to others.   It is as if they do not recognize the other as a human being — that they never consider their acts from the perspective of the victim; a complete lack of empathy.