52 shot, 10 killed in gang-fueled weekend violence in Chicago

Via:  badfish-hd-h-u  •  2 weeks ago  •  40 comments

52 shot, 10 killed in gang-fueled weekend violence in Chicago

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Fifty-two people were shot and 10 people were killed in what police called a "despicable" spate of violence over the weekend in Chicago. Chicago Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson said the latest deadly weekend in the city shows "the challenges we face are complex and profound."

"I know I can speak for everyone at CPD when I say we take these shootings seriously, and there's a heightened sense of urgency and care when it comes to gun violence in this city," Johnson said during a Monday press conference.

CBS Chicago reports it was the most violent weekend of 2019. The bloodshed comes on the heels of another deadly weekend during the Memorial Day holiday last week, when five people were killed in a spate of shootings. Violence tends to increase during warm summer months, according to police.  

Johnson said many of the victims shot over the weekend were targeted by gangs. He said police noted an uptick in gang-related shootings on Friday, and in response, increased patrols in areas where investigators expected possible retaliation. Deputy chief Al Nagode, who oversees the city's west side where some of the gang violence originated, said shootings there were "not random" and motivated by disputes and tensions over an open-air drug market.

"I can tell you, weekends like this, all our officers take this very personal," Nagode said. "We faced formidable challenges with gang factions settling conflicts with gun violence."

Johnson said 92 guns were taken off the streets and 18 people were arrested on gun-related charges. He couldn't immediately provide a number of arrests directly related to the shootings. Several persons of interest were being questioned, reports CBS Chicago.

The 10 weekend homicides included two deadly stabbings, reports CBS Chicago. Two of the murders were domestic-related and police have released suspect lookout information, Johnson said. He said investigators had "very good leads" on some of the other homicides and expected to make arrests soon.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
Find text within the comments Find 

Badfish H҉a҉n҉d҉ ҉o҉f҉ ҉D҉o҉o҉m҉
1  seeder  Badfish H҉a҉n҉d҉ ҉o҉f҉ ҉D҉o҉o҉m҉    2 weeks ago

Very sad...52 shootings is outrageous!

KDMichigan
1.1  KDMichigan  replied to  Badfish H҉a҉n҉d҉ ҉o҉f҉ ҉D҉o҉o҉m҉ @1    2 weeks ago

They haven't figured out how to use this as a talking point yet so they really don't care. Now if the headline would have read smirking MAGA hat wearing gangbangers shoot up Chicago that would be something to talk about.

I've noticed Silence on the Virginia Beach shooting, Wrong weapon and wrong race to make noise about it. 

Jasper2529
1.1.1  Jasper2529  replied to  KDMichigan @1.1    2 weeks ago
I've noticed Silence on the Virginia Beach shooting, Wrong weapon and wrong race to make noise about it. 

Pretty much, but Ilhan Omar opened her trap and blamed the NRA before the victims' bodies got to the morgue.

Jasper2529
1.2  Jasper2529  replied to  Badfish H҉a҉n҉d҉ ҉o҉f҉ ҉D҉o҉o҉m҉ @1    2 weeks ago
Year to Date
Shot & Killed: 191
Shot & Wounded: 781
Total Shot: 972
Total Homicides: 209
Chicago Crime 2019

https://heyjackass.com/

Ender
1.2.1  Ender  replied to  Jasper2529 @1.2    2 weeks ago

In a surprise to no one that’s looked at the data before, Chicago isn’t in the top ten — it’s such a huge city that even high absolute numbers don’t translate into actually high murder rates.

The city with the highest murder rate according to the most recent FBI Data? That would be St. Louis with 0.0007 murders per capita — or about 1 for every 1,513 people, which is relatively low compared to historical norms and isn’t THAT dangerous.

Link

Jasper2529
1.2.2  Jasper2529  replied to  Ender @1.2.1    2 weeks ago

The seeded article's topic is Chicago, and it's the city stats I addressed. Your comment about other cities is a derail.

Ender
1.2.3  Ender  replied to  Jasper2529 @1.2.2    2 weeks ago

Read the first line in my comment. It is about people misrepresenting facts...

Fact, for a city the size of Chicago, it may seem like a large number, but statistically the city is not even in the top ten.

Greg Jones
1.3  Greg Jones  replied to  Badfish H҉a҉n҉d҉ ҉o҉f҉ ҉D҉o҉o҉m҉ @1    2 weeks ago

What's really outrageous is the total lack of interest in the latest mass shooting in Virginia Beach by the left and the media.

The shooter was a black man, he had not been fired, and he was a Democrat. He was not wearing a MAGA hat and did not belong to the NRA. From all accounts, the gun purchases were legal.

JohnRussell
1.3.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Greg Jones @1.3    2 weeks ago

Let's see his manifesto. Did he write about honkys?  How about "the man"?   Did he post to the Black Panthers facebook page?  Come up with SOMETHING. 

GaJenn78
1.3.2  GaJenn78  replied to  Greg Jones @1.3    2 weeks ago

I heard about it first on the radio, then nothing! No one was reporting about it over the weekend besides OAN, and Fox talked about it. I turned on the other outlets and nothing but Muller BS.  Just saying....

GaJenn78
1.3.3  GaJenn78  replied to  JohnRussell @1.3.1    2 weeks ago

I guess that gives media a pass to not report on it then.....WOW. If it were a white guy, fired, and the weapon were an AR, then outrage. Black guy, mad, .45 pistol(which I will not even shoot), no coverage

Ender
1.3.4  Ender  replied to  GaJenn78 @1.3.2    2 weeks ago

I had heard about it all weekend. New updates etc.

These kind of things are all to common now, which may account for lack of interest.

I just have to shake my head at some. When other shootings were reported on, people on the right said the hype needed to stop. Stop giving them a platform.

Then this (does get covered) just not wall to wall coverage and the right says...gee where is the coverage...they are bias...

Bunch of baloney.

Greg Jones
1.3.5  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @1.3.1    2 weeks ago

Just pointing out the hypocrisy of the left

Dean Moriarty
2  Dean Moriarty    2 weeks ago

Sometimes it’s just best to pack your bags and move to greener pastures. 

katrix
2.1  katrix  replied to  Dean Moriarty @2    2 weeks ago

I certainly think I'd move if I lived in Chicago.  Or Detroit, for that matter.

JohnRussell
2.1.1  JohnRussell  replied to  katrix @2.1    2 weeks ago

It's a ridiculous position. The vast vast majority of people living in Chicago never come close to being shot at. In fact, most people in the bad neighborhoods are in relatively little danger.  There are 2,700,000 people in Chicago. Even at a rate of 2000 a year, which is historically high, your chances of being shot are less than 1 in 1400. Most of the gang killings are confined to a few areas, none of which very many white people are forced to go into. 

And I could probably name a few cities with higher murder rates than Chicago that you would go into. 

2.1.2  seeder  Badfish H҉a҉n҉d҉ ҉o҉f҉ ҉D҉o҉o҉m҉  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.1    2 weeks ago

Can we at least raise money and buy you a Kevlar vest and helmet?

Sparty On
2.1.3  Sparty On  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.1    2 weeks ago

I like my odds of not getting shot much better where i live .... closer to 1 in 140,000 or more i suppose.

See post #2 above .... lather, rinse, repeat as required ....

katrix
2.1.4  katrix  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.1    2 weeks ago

The weather would be enough to make me move even if there weren't as many shootings.

But I still prefer lower odds of being shot.  Visiting is one thing, but living in most cities is not for me.

JohnRussell
2.1.5  JohnRussell  replied to  katrix @2.1.4    2 weeks ago

People get used to the weather, although certainly people who like it nice year round will not fit in in Chicago or many other northern cities. 

2.1.6  seeder  Badfish H҉a҉n҉d҉ ҉o҉f҉ ҉D҉o҉o҉m҉  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.5    2 weeks ago

Good news, the new mayor's top agenda item is more bicycle lanes. 

Bob Nelson
2.1.7  Bob Nelson  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.1    2 weeks ago

About one American in ten thousand, regardless of where they live, will die of gunshot wounds this year.

Sean Treacy
2.1.8  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.1    2 weeks ago
n fact, most people in the bad neighborhoods are in relatively little danger. 

The odds of being shot in Englewood (a formerly middle class southside neighborhood) is  about 1 shooting per 130 residents per year. In what world is that "relatively little danger?"

Greg Jones
2.1.9  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.1    2 weeks ago
And I could probably name a few cities with higher murder rates than Chicago that you would go into. 

So blacks routinely killing each other is no big deal?

JohnRussell
2.1.10  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @2.1.8    2 weeks ago

I was born in Englewood. 63rd and Ashland. 

What is the percentage of gangbangers in Englewood who get shot and the percentage of non gang bangers?  

I think you would agree your chances are not 1 in 130 if you are not in a gang. 

Ronin2
2.1.11  Ronin2  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.10    2 weeks ago

Since when do gangbangers discriminate between their intended targets and innocent bystanders? Wrong place, wrong time, you are a victim.

Sparty On
2.1.12  Sparty On  replied to  Bob Nelson @2.1.7    2 weeks ago

Absolutely false in most cases.  

In fact that's not even close where i live or for that matter in most places in the US.  

Excluding many densely populated cities of course.    Where your chances of getting shot are demonstrably greater than 1 in 10,000.

Yep.  

Fun with statistics.

With Bob and Sparty.

Bob Nelson
2.1.13  Bob Nelson  replied to  Sparty On @2.1.12    2 weeks ago

What part of "regardless of where they live" do you not understand?

Sparty On
2.1.14  Sparty On  replied to  Bob Nelson @2.1.13    2 weeks ago

The part that makes you entire premise of "1 out of every 10,000" disingenuous when it comes to most places in the US.

Spin baby, spin .... i'm sure some will buy that mendacious nonsense.

KDMichigan
2.2  KDMichigan  replied to  Dean Moriarty @2    2 weeks ago
Sometimes it’s just best to pack your bags and move to greener pastures. 

I did. I moved from the Tri city area, Flint, Saginaw and Bay city, north to a tourist town Traverse City about 20 years ago. Now it's a regular thing to read about people from them cities committing crimes up here. I'm thinking my next move will be Copper Harbor...

Ender
3  Ender    2 weeks ago
On the streets of southwest Houston, violent gangs are out of control, dealing drugs, robbing businesses, and protecting their turf at all costs. For one longtime member, each day comes down to two simple questions: Will I have to kill? Will I be killed? 

Link

Ogg said Johnson — whom she described as a "poster child for representing a threat to the community" — committed both murders as part of an ongoing war between members of a local street gang, 100 Percent Third Ward (103), and another local clique, the Young Scott Block, or YSB, gang.

Johnson is also facing charges in a third case in which he is accused of shooting a person in the neck on Jan. 8 in a drive-by shooting.

About 20,000 gang members — in roughly 300 gangs — live in the greater Houston area, according to law enforcement estimates.

Link

It seems not just one city is effected. All larger cities have some degree of this kind of problem.

Sparty On
4  Sparty On    2 weeks ago

The killing season is here for Chicago .....

cjfrommn
5  cjfrommn    2 weeks ago

It is sad to hear about these shooting but it is just as sad as the farmer in a small town killing his family off because of hard times of his farm failing. 

in the end , guns any where that kill people are bad. i get the big city "be shocked" seed. But i am more upset about innocent citizens getting gunned down by selfish goof balls that in a few cases were preventable.

Gangs and drugs and money and such that have fueled inner cities disputes have been around since the dawn of gangs. so lets keep it real.

Because i am sure there would be a lot of Italian mothers and fathers that wished the MAFIA never existed. 

Bob Nelson
6  Bob Nelson    2 weeks ago

Thirty thousand gun deaths per year.

Sparty On
6.1  Sparty On  replied to  Bob Nelson @6    2 weeks ago

True.  

Roughly two thirds of which are suicides

Bob Nelson
6.1.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  Sparty On @6.1    2 weeks ago

Roughly three thirds of whom are dead.

Sparty On
6.1.2  Sparty On  replied to  Bob Nelson @6.1.1    2 weeks ago

Yes ..... by their own choice .....  i suppose they are.

Bob Nelson
6.1.3  Bob Nelson  replied to  Sparty On @6.1.2    2 weeks ago
i suppose they are.

"Suppose"?

Sparty On
6.1.4  Sparty On  replied to  Bob Nelson @6.1.3    2 weeks ago

Yes ... suppose.  

Suppose:

To lay down tentatively as a hypothesis/assumption, to hold as an opinion, to think probable or in keeping with the facts

Need anymore help with English Bob?   Perhaps you've been in France too long.

Sean Treacy
7  Sean Treacy    2 weeks ago

It always interesting how eager a certian subset of progressive is to make broad generalizations about Republicans using the Red/State Blue State dichotomy as evidence. Thus a state where close to 50% of the eligible voters vote Democrat counts as if every person in that state is somehow a Republican. A Democrat on welfare in Georgia counts as a Republican "taking" from blue states, or something to that effect.

But those people get highly offended when we start talking about stats from Democratic strongholds where Democrats have gotten 90% of the vote for generations....Most of the murders in Chicago, which hasn't had a Republican mayor in living memory take place in the most democratic of areas.  The sixth ward, that includes Englewood where there is about one shooting per 130 residents per year, voted 97% for Clinton in 2016.