╌>

52 shot, 10 killed in gang-fueled weekend violence in Chicago

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  badfish-hd-h-u  •  5 years ago  •  40 comments

52 shot, 10 killed in gang-fueled weekend violence in Chicago

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Fifty-two people were shot and 10 people were killed in what police called a "despicable" spate of violence over the weekend in Chicago. Chicago Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson said the latest deadly weekend in the city shows "the challenges we face are complex and profound."

"I know I can speak for everyone at CPD when I say we take these shootings seriously, and there's a heightened sense of urgency and care when it comes to gun violence in this city," Johnson said during a Monday press conference.

CBS Chicago reports   it was the most violent weekend of 2019. The bloodshed comes on the heels of another deadly weekend during the Memorial Day holiday last week, when   five people were killed   in a spate of shootings. Violence tends to increase during warm summer months, according to police.  

Johnson said many of the victims shot over the weekend were targeted by gangs. He said police noted an uptick in gang-related shootings on Friday, and in response, increased patrols in areas where investigators expected possible retaliation. Deputy chief Al Nagode, who oversees the city's west side where some of the gang violence originated, said shootings there were "not random" and motivated by disputes and tensions over an open-air drug market.

"I can tell you, weekends like this, all our officers take this very personal," Nagode said. "We faced formidable challenges with gang factions settling conflicts with gun violence."

Johnson said 92 guns were taken off the streets and 18 people were arrested on gun-related charges. He couldn't immediately provide a number of arrests directly related to the shootings. Several persons of interest were being questioned, reports CBS Chicago.

The 10 weekend homicides included two deadly stabbings, reports CBS Chicago. Two of the murders were domestic-related and police have released suspect lookout information, Johnson said. He said investigators had "very good leads" on some of the other homicides and expected to make arrests soon.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
2  Dean Moriarty    5 years ago

Sometimes it’s just best to pack your bags and move to greener pastures. 

katrix
Sophomore Participates
2.1  katrix  replied to  Dean Moriarty @2    5 years ago

I certainly think I'd move if I lived in Chicago.  Or Detroit, for that matter.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.1  JohnRussell  replied to  katrix @2.1    5 years ago

It's a ridiculous position. The vast vast majority of people living in Chicago never come close to being shot at. In fact, most people in the bad neighborhoods are in relatively little danger.  There are 2,700,000 people in Chicago. Even at a rate of 2000 a year, which is historically high, your chances of being shot are less than 1 in 1400. Most of the gang killings are confined to a few areas, none of which very many white people are forced to go into. 

And I could probably name a few cities with higher murder rates than Chicago that you would go into. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1.3  Sparty On  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.1    5 years ago

I like my odds of not getting shot much better where i live .... closer to 1 in 140,000 or more i suppose.

See post #2 above .... lather, rinse, repeat as required ....

katrix
Sophomore Participates
2.1.4  katrix  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.1    5 years ago

The weather would be enough to make me move even if there weren't as many shootings.

But I still prefer lower odds of being shot.  Visiting is one thing, but living in most cities is not for me.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.5  JohnRussell  replied to  katrix @2.1.4    5 years ago

People get used to the weather, although certainly people who like it nice year round will not fit in in Chicago or many other northern cities. 

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.1.7  Bob Nelson  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.1    5 years ago

About one American in ten thousand, regardless of where they live, will die of gunshot wounds this year.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2.1.8  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.1    5 years ago
n fact, most people in the bad neighborhoods are in relatively little danger. 

The odds of being shot in Englewood (a formerly middle class southside neighborhood) is  about 1 shooting per 130 residents per year. In what world is that "relatively little danger?"

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.1.9  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.1    5 years ago
And I could probably name a few cities with higher murder rates than Chicago that you would go into. 

So blacks routinely killing each other is no big deal?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.10  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @2.1.8    5 years ago

I was born in Englewood. 63rd and Ashland. 

What is the percentage of gangbangers in Englewood who get shot and the percentage of non gang bangers?  

I think you would agree your chances are not 1 in 130 if you are not in a gang. 

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
2.1.11  Ronin2  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.10    5 years ago

Since when do gangbangers discriminate between their intended targets and innocent bystanders? Wrong place, wrong time, you are a victim.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1.12  Sparty On  replied to  Bob Nelson @2.1.7    5 years ago

Absolutely false in most cases.  

In fact that's not even close where i live or for that matter in most places in the US.  

Excluding many densely populated cities of course.    Where your chances of getting shot are demonstrably greater than 1 in 10,000.

Yep.  

Fun with statistics.

With Bob and Sparty.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.1.13  Bob Nelson  replied to  Sparty On @2.1.12    5 years ago

What part of "regardless of where they live" do you not understand?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1.14  Sparty On  replied to  Bob Nelson @2.1.13    5 years ago

The part that makes you entire premise of "1 out of every 10,000" disingenuous when it comes to most places in the US.

Spin baby, spin .... i'm sure some will buy that mendacious nonsense.

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
2.2  KDMichigan  replied to  Dean Moriarty @2    5 years ago
Sometimes it’s just best to pack your bags and move to greener pastures. 

I did. I moved from the Tri city area, Flint, Saginaw and Bay city, north to a tourist town Traverse City about 20 years ago. Now it's a regular thing to read about people from them cities committing crimes up here. I'm thinking my next move will be Copper Harbor...

Ender
Professor Principal
3  Ender    5 years ago
On the streets of southwest Houston, violent gangs are out of control, dealing drugs, robbing businesses, and protecting their turf at all costs. For one longtime member, each day comes down to two simple questions: Will I have to kill? Will I be killed? 

Link

Ogg said Johnson — whom she described as a "poster child for representing a threat to the community" — committed both murders as part of an ongoing war between members of a local street gang, 100 Percent Third Ward (103), and another local clique, the Young Scott Block, or YSB, gang.

Johnson is also facing charges in a third case in which he is accused of shooting a person in the neck on Jan. 8 in a drive-by shooting.

About 20,000 gang members — in roughly 300 gangs — live in the greater Houston area, according to law enforcement estimates.

Link

It seems not just one city is effected. All larger cities have some degree of this kind of problem.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4  Sparty On    5 years ago

The killing season is here for Chicago .....

cjfrommn
Professor Silent
5  cjfrommn    5 years ago

It is sad to hear about these shooting but it is just as sad as the farmer in a small town killing his family off because of hard times of his farm failing. 

in the end , guns any where that kill people are bad. i get the big city "be shocked" seed. But i am more upset about innocent citizens getting gunned down by selfish goof balls that in a few cases were preventable.

Gangs and drugs and money and such that have fueled inner cities disputes have been around since the dawn of gangs. so lets keep it real.

Because i am sure there would be a lot of Italian mothers and fathers that wished the MAFIA never existed. 

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
6  Bob Nelson    5 years ago

Thirty thousand gun deaths per year.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.1  Sparty On  replied to  Bob Nelson @6    5 years ago

True.  

Roughly two thirds of which are suicides

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
6.1.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  Sparty On @6.1    5 years ago

Roughly three thirds of whom are dead.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.1.2  Sparty On  replied to  Bob Nelson @6.1.1    5 years ago

Yes ..... by their own choice .....  i suppose they are.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
6.1.3  Bob Nelson  replied to  Sparty On @6.1.2    5 years ago
i suppose they are.

"Suppose"?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.1.4  Sparty On  replied to  Bob Nelson @6.1.3    5 years ago

Yes ... suppose.  

Suppose:

To lay down tentatively as a hypothesis/assumption, to hold as an opinion, to think probable or in keeping with the facts

Need anymore help with English Bob?   Perhaps you've been in France too long.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
7  Sean Treacy    5 years ago

It always interesting how eager a certian subset of progressive is to make broad generalizations about Republicans using the Red/State Blue State dichotomy as evidence. Thus a state where close to 50% of the eligible voters vote Democrat counts as if every person in that state is somehow a Republican. A Democrat on welfare in Georgia counts as a Republican "taking" from blue states, or something to that effect.

But those people get highly offended when we start talking about stats from Democratic strongholds where Democrats have gotten 90% of the vote for generations....Most of the murders in Chicago, which hasn't had a Republican mayor in living memory take place in the most democratic of areas.  The sixth ward, that includes Englewood where there is about one shooting per 130 residents per year, voted 97% for Clinton in 2016.