Japan labor minister: Dress codes requiring high heels 'necessary'

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  5 years ago  •  32 comments

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

www.upi.com

2-2 minutes

June 6 (UPI) -- Dress codes by Japanese companies that require women to wear high heels are "occupationally necessary," Tokyo's labor minister said in response to a growing movement to dismiss the mandate.

Takumi Nemoto, Japan's health, labor and welfare minister, answered the growing calls on Wednesday.

"It is socially accepted as something that falls within the realm of being occupationally necessary and appropriate,"  he said . "Whether the employers' requirement to wear high heels is an abuse of power or not depends on whether the requirement goes beyond the social understanding of what is necessary and appropriate."

Nemoto said the rule would only be "abuse" if an employer tried to make an injured employee wear the shoes.

Critic Kanako Otsuji, a member of the minority Constitutional Democratic Party of Japan,  said  the dress code rule applies only to women and that wearing high heels in the workplace is outdated.

Nearly 19,000 people in Japan delivered a petition  Monday  asking the government to ban corporate dress codes that mandate high heels. It was started by actress Yumi Ishikawa under the #KuToo name, a takeoff of the #MeToo movement against sexual harassment.

The moniker is a play off the words kutsu, which means shoes in Japanese, and kutsuu, which means pain.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    5 years ago

High heels exist basically so that men can admire the view as a woman walks away. 

I am not aware that is actually a 'necessity' in a place of employment .

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
1.2  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  JohnRussell @1    5 years ago

If they were then all the men should be required to wear them as well.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.2.1  Ozzwald  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.2    5 years ago
If they were then all the men should be required to wear them as well.

All men should be made to wear athletic cups then. 

Not only does it make them look trimmer and more professional, but if they spend too much time looking at the high heeled women's behinds, the pain it will cause will be a reminder to get their minds back on work.

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.2.2  Krishna  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.2    5 years ago

If they were then all the men should be required to wear them as well!

Actually it seems that the sensible thing to do would be to require men to wear bras as well...

Amazon - "Cross-dress"

katrix
Sophomore Participates
1.2.3  katrix  replied to  Krishna @1.2.2    5 years ago
Actually it seems that the sensible thing to do would be to require men to wear bras as well

I've seen quite a few men who need to wear one.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.3  Jack_TX  replied to  JohnRussell @1    5 years ago

You don't live and work in Japan, do you?

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.4  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @1    5 years ago

They are more of a necessity in the bed room, along with garter belts, silk stockings, and satin panties. jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.4.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  Greg Jones @1.4    5 years ago

jrSmiley_12_smiley_image.gif

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.5  Krishna  replied to  JohnRussell @1    5 years ago

Of course its a necessity (I though everyone knew that?).

But I'm surprised the gov't held back-- what they really need to do is extend the law to require woman to go topless in places of work-- now that would be real progress!

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.5.1  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @1.5    5 years ago

But I'm surprised the gov't held back-- what they really need to do is extend the law to require woman to go topless in places of work-- now that would be real progress!

Not that normal men would find that sexually arousing-- in fact research has shown that normal men are not turned on at all by viewing womens' breasts (well, except for a small number of perverts of course).

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.6  Krishna  replied to  JohnRussell @1    5 years ago

Well, there are some individuals who do it of their own accord:

Stunning shop girl reels customers in with topless sales tactic

A SHOPPER filmed the moment a female jewellery store worker helped serve customers while wearing virtually no clothes

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2  Vic Eldred    5 years ago

My compliments to the Japanese Labor Minister!

As it should be!

Well Done!

Ender
Professor Principal
3  Ender    5 years ago

What is ironic, a lot of places around the world are banning high heels, particularly around antiquities.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
3.1  katrix  replied to  Ender @3    5 years ago

And cobblestones.  High heels and cobblestones (or brick sidewalks in small towns) are a nightmare.

Kavika
Professor Principal
4  Kavika     5 years ago

The average height of a Japanese man is 5' 7''....A Japanese women is 5' 2''.....If women are required to wear high heels, say a 3'' heel. That would make their average height 5' 5'' inches. To maintain the 5 '' height advantage men should be required to wear platform shoes....

I would recommend something on the order of what this fellow is wearing. 

TK-2015-10-12-002-001-Harajuku-600x900.jpg