╌>

Man arrested for allegedly making thousands of phone calls threatening to kill members of Congress critical of Trump

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  ender  •  5 years ago  •  21 comments

Man arrested for allegedly making thousands of phone calls threatening to kill members of Congress critical of Trump

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

A Utah man was arrested Tuesday after police said he made more than 2,000 threatening phone calls to members of Congress over a three-year span.

The Associated Press reports   Scott Haven is accused of frequently making calls to lawmakers who opposed or were critical of President Trump, threatening some that he would kill them.

Charging documents in Haven's case released Wednesday detail the extent of his threatening calls, including a case in which he is accused of telling an unnamed member of Congress that he was standing behind them and ready to "shoot him in the head" because "the Russians want him taken out because he is trying to remove a duly elected President."

Haven is charged with interstate transmission of threats to injure.

At his first court appearance Wednesday, a judge ordered that Haven remain jailed until the outcome of the case is reached, saying he was a danger to the community.

He called the same unnamed senator's office multiple times in the fall of 2018 threatening the lawmaker, invoking the Second Amendment and saying "we will exercise our Second Amendment rights to address Democrat mobs that threaten conservatives," according to court documents reviewed by the AP.

None of the lawmakers Haven is accused of threatening were named in the court documents.

Haven was reportedly confronted by a federal agent about the calls last summer and proceeded to threaten to beat up the agent and ask why they weren't instead investigating groups like Black Lives Matter.

Owen Daugherty

Photo: © Weber County Sheriff's Office  Man arrested for allegedly making thousands of phone calls threatening to kill members of Congress critical of Trump

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Ender
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Ender    5 years ago
"the Russians want him taken out because he is trying to remove a duly elected President."

Un-frickin-believable. No Russian collusion or involvement yet the Russians want him to do it?

Sick fuck.

lady in black
Professor Quiet
2  lady in black    5 years ago

Another conservative nut job...but I thought conservatives didn't do this sort of thing....

MrFrost
Professor Expert
2.1  MrFrost  replied to  lady in black @2    5 years ago
but I thought conservatives didn't do this sort of thing....

Only on days that end in "Y". 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  lady in black @2    5 years ago

No, he's just a jerk. If you call him a nut job then he will have to have a mental eval and then the cons will say..."he's just mentally ill"

MrFrost
Professor Expert
2.2.1  MrFrost  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.2    5 years ago
"he's just mentally ill"

True, that's the usual defense. But, other countries have mentally ill people too, and they don't have NEARLY the violence we do. 

Snuffy
Professor Participates
2.2.2  Snuffy  replied to  MrFrost @2.2.1    5 years ago
But, other countries have mentally ill people too, and they don't have NEARLY the violence we do. 

but you know that's not true. Different people can have different types and degrees of mental illness and some can perform violent acts and others will not. But this person does seem to have some sort of mental illness,  who would call over 2000 times to threaten a group of people?

I'm glad they have him off the streets before he progressed to actually performing any of the threats he made and I hope they get him the help he needs.

Ender
Professor Principal
2.2.3  seeder  Ender  replied to  Snuffy @2.2.2    5 years ago
who would call over 2000 times to threaten a group of people?

The same type of people that espouse hate directed at others on forums such as this on a daily basis.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
2.2.4  MrFrost  replied to  Snuffy @2.2.2    5 years ago
but you know that's not true. Different people can have different types and degrees of mental illness and some can perform violent acts and others will not. But this person does seem to have some sort of mental illness,  who would call over 2000 times to threaten a group of people?

I do have a valid answer to this, but it would be straying too far from the subject matter. 

I'm glad they have him off the streets before he progressed to actually performing any of the threats he made and I hope they get him the help he needs.

Exactly. Clearly he has a screw or 50 loose..

Ender
Professor Principal
2.2.5  seeder  Ender  replied to  MrFrost @2.2.4    5 years ago
it would be straying too far from the subject matter

Eh, I don't mind.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
2.2.6  MrFrost  replied to  Ender @2.2.5    5 years ago

Very well. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
2.2.7  MrFrost  replied to  Snuffy @2.2.2    5 years ago
but you know that's not true. Different people can have different types and degrees of mental illness and some can perform violent acts and others will not.

At it's core, this is true. But I was referring to here, in the USA, VS. other countries. Here in the USA we have a fairly proportionate number of mentally ill people when compared to other countries. But when it comes to gun violence, we are off the charts when compared to other countries. 

In essence, the question should be, "What is the factor that separates the USA from other countries when it comes to mentally ill people?" A free availability of firearms. I don't want to turn this into a gun debate as it's not the subject, but would not a logical step to take be restricting access to guns from mentally ill people? 

And thanks Ender for letting me go OT for a moment. 

Snuffy
Professor Participates
2.2.8  Snuffy  replied to  MrFrost @2.2.7    5 years ago

yep, I figured this was where your earlier comments were leaning. And as for that logical step,  we kind of already have it. The difficulty is that restricting access for the mentally ill needs to be adjudicated AND reported up the line. Too often we have a failure of either one or the other so that the agency tasked with determining if a person can legally purchase said gun doesn't have the information necessary. Fix those two pieces and I think a large hole is plugged.

<end of OT rant, and thx Ender>

Ender
Professor Principal
2.2.9  seeder  Ender  replied to  Snuffy @2.2.8    5 years ago

NP. I don't think you all went that far off the mark.

I personally think someone that makes continual threats be not allowed to own.

But then would that be running into free speech etc.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
3  MrFrost    5 years ago

This is what happens when you have a POTUS that promotes violence. 

katrix
Sophomore Participates
3.1  katrix  replied to  MrFrost @3    5 years ago

Trump probably thinks this is perfectly acceptable. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4  JohnRussell    5 years ago

And they say the lady anti-Trumper who stabbed herself is deranged. jrSmiley_30_smiley_image.gif

Snuffy
Professor Participates
4.1  Snuffy  replied to  JohnRussell @4    5 years ago

Deranged?  Definitely suffering from some sort of mental issues. 

I mean, she has a history of self-harm.  What would you call it?

MrFrost
Professor Expert
5  MrFrost    5 years ago
2,000 threatening phone calls to members of Congress over a three-year span.

I wonder if trump and his admin knew about this and did nothing because he is on their side. 

Ender
Professor Principal
6  seeder  Ender    5 years ago

From AP

He told a staffer for an unnamed senator in September 2018 that there were “far more Second Amendment people than whiny, crying liberals,” the documents said.

He called back the next month to the same office and said, “We will exercise our Second Amendment rights to address Democrat mobs that threaten conservatives,” according to the documents.

Haven threatened to cut off the heads of two senators in another call and in yet another one identified himself as Hitler and yelled repeatedly he would “put a bullet” in the head of the senator, the documents said.

Kavika
Professor Principal
7  Kavika     5 years ago

But, but, Antifa......./s

Ender
Professor Principal
7.1  seeder  Ender  replied to  Kavika @7    5 years ago

BLM!  BLM!