╌>

DC Dyke March Bans Jewish Pride Flag

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  badfish-hd-h-u  •  5 years ago  •  61 comments

DC Dyke March Bans Jewish Pride Flag

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Updated 2:50 p.m.

A gay pride parade in Washington, D.C. has been criticized by Jewish and LGBTQ groups for banning Jewish and Israeli symbols from its Friday event.

The D.C. Dyke March is designed to include people of diverse races, religions and gender identities who feel excluded from the more mainstream Pride parade, organizers   told   The Washington Post.

The march will also ban “nationalist symbols,” including flags that represent what event organizer Yael Horowitz called “nations that have specific oppressive tendencies.”

“This includes Israeli flags, as well as flags that resemble Israeli flags, such as a pride flag with a Star of David in the middle,” march organizer Rae Gaines — who is herself Jewish and a member of the left-wing Jewish group IfNotNow —   wrote   via Facebook Messenger to would-be participant A.J. Campbell, the former director of the lesbian Jewish group Nice Jewish Girls.

American flags aren’t welcome either, but a Palestinian flag would be accepted, Gaines told the Forward.

“The issue [with the Jewish Pride flag] is where the Star of David is positioned in a way that looks like an Israeli flag, it creates an unsafe space,” she said. “It really is a shame that Israel took this symbol of Judaism and turned it into this nationalist symbol….I understand the Jewish pride flag is a symbol that a lot of Jews have come to embrace, but there are so many other Jewish symbols that we can use to express our Judaism, like a Star of David [on a necklace], like a yarmulke, a tallit.”

Along with IfNotNow, an independent minyan called the New Synagogue Project was listed on the Dyke March’s website as a   “community partner,”   which Gaines described as just showing solidarity and not necessarily being involved in planning the event. The New Synagogue Project did not respond to a request for comment.

The move is reminiscent of a controversy from 2017 when the Chicago Dyke March   kicked out   marchers waving pride flags with Stars of David on them, claiming that they were too reminiscent of the Israeli flag and thus “made people feel unsafe.”

D.C. Dyke March organizers said they took the Chicago experience into account when crafting their policies.

“I just thought, the Chicago Dyke March is happening all over again — here,” Campbell told the Post, adding, “I’ve been a Jewish lesbian for a long time, and it’s never been a problem. . . . They seem to have very specific ideas about what kind of Jew I’m supposed to be, and I don’t feel like they get to say that.”

A   joint statement   from Campbell, the Jewish LGBTQ group A Wider Bridge, the Jewish Community Relations Council of Greater Washington, and the Jewish feminist group Zioness called on the Dyke March to apologize and change its policy.

“The DC Dyke March should know better than to stoke the flames of division and pain by driving a wedge between Queer Arabs and Jews at a time we must stand united against homo- and transphobia, anti-Semitism, and Islamophobia,” the statement read. “We hope that they will do better––for the sake and advancement of all of our communities.”

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2  Texan1211    5 years ago

Why on earth would someone in America "feel unsafe" because of an Israeli flag?

Illogical AND comical!

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.2  XXJefferson51  replied to  Texan1211 @2    5 years ago

Well they said the American flag was unwelcome as well and we know how much many secular progressives hate almost everything our flag stands for.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.1  Texan1211  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.2    5 years ago

Some of those people are freaking idiots!

Ender
Professor Principal
2.2.2  Ender  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.2    5 years ago

They also have a right to protest our flag when they feel there is an injustice.

A freedom thing doncha know.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.3  Texan1211  replied to  Ender @2.2.2    5 years ago

And they can be criticized if we choose to do so--a freedom thing, don't ya know?

Ender
Professor Principal
2.2.4  Ender  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.3    5 years ago

Yep freedom to troll. Ain't it grand.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.5  Texan1211  replied to  Ender @2.2.4    5 years ago
Yep freedom to troll. Ain't it grand.

It is your right to do all the trolling you want.

I know how to use the ignore button when it becomes too ludicrous to take.

Ender
Professor Principal
2.2.6  Ender  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.5    5 years ago

Obviously you don't.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.7  Texan1211  replied to  Ender @2.2.6    5 years ago

jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif

It isn't TOO ridiculous--yet.

Keep working on it as you have been and you'll get there soon.

Ender
Professor Principal
2.2.8  Ender  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.7    5 years ago

For now on when ever I see you this will be my only word to you....

Impasse.

bugsy
Professor Participates
2.2.9  bugsy  replied to  Ender @2.2.4    5 years ago
Yep freedom to troll.

I don't see anyone stopping your trolling..

Yay freedom!!!

Ender
Professor Principal
2.2.10  Ender  replied to  bugsy @2.2.9    5 years ago

Impasse

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.2.11  Tessylo  replied to  bugsy @2.2.9    5 years ago

[deleted]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.12  Texan1211  replied to  Ender @2.2.8    5 years ago

[delete]

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.2.13  Greg Jones  replied to  Ender @2.2.2    5 years ago

You mean imagined injustice?

What exactly is the purpose of gay pride parades?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.2.14  Tessylo  replied to  Greg Jones @2.2.13    5 years ago

Why aren't you on my seed defending the Nazis?

Ender
Professor Principal
3  Ender    5 years ago

I could understand if all nation flags were banned but not picking and choosing certain ones.

The LGBT community actually does not have borders.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1  Texan1211  replied to  Ender @3    5 years ago
The LGBT community actually does not have borders.

Maybe not, but they definitely have some members who are far too easily triggered by the dumbest of things!

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4  Tacos!    5 years ago

Support is support, generally speaking. In a world where it's so easy to be oppressed, why would you reject support?

it creates an unsafe space

A claim made without actual justification. I hate that people just say this and don't back it up.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

What a bunch of hypocrites.  Homosexuality is legal in Israel, with Tel Aviv being one of the most welcoming cities in the world for LGBT as posted by the LGBT themselves, has one of the biggest and best Gay Pride Parades, and this ignorant organization would rather see the flags of Muslim countries in their parade, the people who throw gays off roofs and hang them from cranes.  Fucking unbelievable.  Israel is oppressive?  But terrorists are okay.

And by the way, the star of David is a symbol of a religion and has been for a lot longer than Israel was declared after Partition, and the symbol was put on its flag only then.  People have been wearing the Star of David as a symbol of their religion for centuries.  Did they also ban the Crescent Moon.  How about anyone wearing stars or stripes?   I guess in their sick twisted minds THIS star would be okay.  Maybe IT fits their agenda.

th?id=AMMS_bfd168130412abf393f1f5433f5dd

epistte
Junior Guide
6  epistte    5 years ago
The D.C. Dyke March is designed to include people of diverse races, religions and gender identities who feel excluded from the more mainstream Pride parade, organizers told The Washington Post.

I'd like to know who in the LGBTQIAP community is excluded from the Pride parade? Are they somehow offended because they did not get a Hallmark invitation to attend? 

LGBTIQAP is starting to sound like a Pentagon weapons system or a part of the black budget belonging to the NSA or DIA.

epistte
Junior Guide
7  epistte    5 years ago

Lesbian, gay, bi, trans, questioning, intersexxed, asexual, and pansexual. 

I didn't know the last two, so I had to Google it. 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
7.1  Greg Jones  replied to  epistte @7    5 years ago

No, the "Q" stands for queer, which is an accepted symbol in the "community."

Do we have to make exceptions for the last three and grant them special rights?

epistte
Junior Guide
7.1.1  epistte  replied to  Greg Jones @7.1    5 years ago
No, the "Q" stands for queer, which is an accepted symbol in the "community."

Au Contraire,

The letter "Q" is sometimes added to the end of the acronym LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender); the "Q" can refer to either queer or questioning.

Do we have to make exceptions for the last three and grant them special rights?

What special rights do any of the LGBTQIAP community enjoy that you and I also do not enjoy?  Do you feel persecuted because Pride parades exist? 

Ender
Professor Principal
7.1.2  Ender  replied to  epistte @7.1.1    5 years ago

I always heard it was questioning.

epistte
Junior Guide
7.1.3  epistte  replied to  Ender @7.1.2    5 years ago
I always heard it was questioning.

That is what I also heard. Why would it be queer when the term "queer "is a disparaging euphemism for LGBT as a whole.

'Questioning" to me means that the person is still somewhat in the closet but it starting to open the door. IMVHO.

GaJenn78
Sophomore Silent
7.1.4  GaJenn78  replied to  Greg Jones @7.1    5 years ago

I thought the Q was "questioning", I heard "U" was just recently added, so I thought that may be "unsure"......

GaJenn78
Sophomore Silent
7.3  GaJenn78  replied to  epistte @7    5 years ago

Can I ask a real question without being ridiculed? Why the hell do Pan need a letter in the whole thing? They are just people who can fall for anyone, isn't that well, just, "anyone"? Serious question

epistte
Junior Guide
7.3.1  epistte  replied to  GaJenn78 @7.3    5 years ago
Can I ask a real question without being ridiculed? Why the hell do Pan need a letter in the whole thing? They are just people who can fall for anyone, isn't that well, just, "anyone"? Serious question

I never understood or even heard of pansexuals until Miley Cyrus made an issue of it. I still don't understand it. I thought those people were bisexuals.

GaJenn78
Sophomore Silent
7.3.2  GaJenn78  replied to  epistte @7.3.1    5 years ago

I did too

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
8  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

Maybe they should hold their next parade in Iran.  Since they hate Israel so much they must really admire and respect the countries that hate Israel, and they allow THEIR flags to fly.

epistte
Junior Guide
8.1  epistte  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @8    5 years ago
Maybe they should hold their next parade in Iran.  Since they hate Israel so much they must really admire and respect the countries that hate Israel, and they allow THEIR flags to fly.

Why do you believe that whenever anyone dares to criticize Israel that the automatic alternative is the approval of Iran?  Did you ever consider the possibility that they might not like Iran either and that there is more than a binary solution?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
8.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  epistte @8.1    5 years ago
"...a Palestinian flag would be accepted, Gaines told the Forward."

How do you feel about that, epistte?

epistte
Junior Guide
8.1.2  epistte  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @8.1.1    5 years ago
How do you feel about that, epistte?

It's protected free speech.

I didn't know that Palestine had a recognized flag. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
8.1.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  epistte @8.1.2    5 years ago

palestinian-flag.jpg

"In Palestinian and Arab society, homosexuality is denounced and stigmatized. Homosexuality is illegal under Hamas rule in the Gaza Strip, and dozens of gay Palestinians have fled to Israel out of fear of persecution and harassment. In the West Bank, the laws of the Palestinian Authority also do not protect the rights of gay Palestinians.  In the past decades, several gay Palestinians have been killed in both the West Bank and Gaza Strip."

epistte
Junior Guide
8.1.4  epistte  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @8.1.3    5 years ago

I am not aware that anyone said that they are better. You only see a binary argument when someone criticizes Israel.  That fact that someone may criticize Israel doesn't mean that the Arab or Persian states or better. Many conservative Christian countries  and Christian sects are equally oppressive on LGBT rights.

Th Vatican released this statement about gender a few days ago. Continuing to abuse kids and protecting the perpetrators doesn't seem to be a problem for them though.

The Vatican has branded transgender people a “confused concept” and said they “annihilate the concept of nature” in a new statement.

The statement, which has been heavily criticized by Catholic LGBTQ advocates, claims that people identify as transgender to be “provocative.”

Titled “Male and Female He Created Them,” the document was issued by the Vatican’s Congregation for Catholic Education on June 10 with little announcement.

The document urges Catholic schools to resist accepting transgender people and rejects pro-trans “gender theory.”

“In all such [gender] theories, from the most moderate to the most radical, there is agreement that one’s gender ends up being viewed as more important than being of male or female sex,” the document states. “The effect of this move is chiefly to create a cultural and ideological revolution driven by relativism, and secondarily a juridical revolution, since such beliefs claim specific rights for the individual and across society.”

The document, an “aid for Catholic schoolteachers and parents,” claims that accepting transgender people means negating “the male-female duality of human nature, from which the family is generated.”

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
8.1.5  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  epistte @8.1.4    5 years ago

The topic of this article is in the headline: "DC Dyke March Bans Jewish Pride Flag"  Yet they said that a Palestinian flag would be okay.  All I have done is point out their hypocrisy and ignorance.  You can say what you want about equivalency, I really don't care. You have the right to speak your mind.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
9  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

I guess the matter has now been settled - after all, fair is fair.

JEWISH PRIDE FLAGS ALLOWED INTO DC DYKE MARCH AFTER STANDOFF

“In order to have the Jewish Pride flag not be about Zionism, all you have to do is move the star,” Raney told a group of Jewish marchers holding the flags.

BY JTA (Reported by The Jerusalem Post) JUNE 11, 2019

GaJenn78
Sophomore Silent
9.1  GaJenn78  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @9    5 years ago

Ridiculous..... This is all bull shit, quite honestly. I'm about tired of it all. Why can't people just be people, why does everyone need a fucking label? I think some epis of Black Mirror are on to something.....