The Flat Earth Society

Via:  mrfrost  •  2 weeks ago  •  8 comments

The Flat Earth Society
On "Behind The Curve"

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

01 Mar 2019 by Tom Bishop

It has come to our attention that a documentary titled Behind the Curve has appeared on Netflix and is introducing significant numbers of new people into the Flat Earth discussions. After viewing this piece we feel that the work depicts a poorly researched Flat Earth Theory. It should be noted that the Flat Earth Society was not consulted with the science of the documentary and that the topics discussed should be further researched.

Questions have come up about the light experiment at the end of the film. We point to the following from an account of a self-proclaimed Round Earth proponent who was present at the Jeran event [archive link] :

"In about 10 tries, with the light held waist-high at 17 feet above water we never clearly saw it through the center panel hole. On one of the attempts, maybe the fourth of ten, we clearly saw it when Enrique lifted it over his head. On that one, Jeran asked him to raise it and lower it a few times, and it would appear when Enrique raised it and vanish when he lowered it. That was the "gasp" moment. Jeran said, "that's interesting." I noted it was the prediction for a round Earth. When they repeated the whole procedure, it did not happen again. I suggested having Enrique move from side-to-side a bit when occluded by the panel, in case it was lateral alignment that was off. Jeran accepted the suggestion, but it made no observable difference."

Of about ten observations, the fourth observation was the only one where the event occurred, and the only one which was published in the documentary. Nine of the ten trials did not see the event. The above description of inconsistency suggests the presence of curving light rays in the experiment—refraction. The manner in which the experiment was portrayed in the film by the producers further suggests dishonesty. The documentary does not show the times the event did not occur. Misrepresentation of this nature is called scientific fraud. Had the results of all ten trials been honestly presented it would have, assuredly, been a far different segment.

It should be noted that time lapse photography has shown that the curvature of light rays across long distances can be a regular occurrence. Since ancient times, mankind has used this inconsistent effect as a primary piece of evidence that the Earth was spherical 1.

Per the Ring Laser Gyroscope, the claim that this device can see the rotation of the Earth is the latest in the controversy between Copernicans and Anti-Copernicans on the matter of the Earth's rotation. From the era of Ptolemy, to Tycho Brahe, to conflicts of the Victorian Era, and even to attempts in present day, science has been engaged in the attempt of finding direct and conclusive evidence for the rotation of the Earth 2. When assessing the Ring Laser Gyroscope studies of Earth's rotation, we find that the device does not appear to be measuring the Earth's rotation directly 3.

Regarding other social aspects of the film as presented by Delta-v Productions, we may only comment that it is a non-compelling argument to consult with psychologists rather than to seek the consultation of scientists and experimenters on combating the Flat Earth movement and demonstrating truth on empirical grounds. The Flat Earth Society values scientific integrity and demands direct, conclusive, and repeatable evidence that our Earth is a globe.

Not a discussion about just this article, but the Flat Earth Society in general. 

Obviously, this article is a bit of "tongue and cheek", but...your thoughts? 

No politics please. 

Article is Locked

Find text within the comments Find 

MrFrost
1  seeder  MrFrost    2 weeks ago
It should be noted that time lapse photography has shown that the curvature of light rays across long distances can be a regular occurrence. Since ancient times, mankind has used this inconsistent effect

Uptownchick
2  Uptownchick    2 weeks ago

flat-earth-funny-memes-28-5b325364901bf_

Kavika
3  Kavika     2 weeks ago

2012-12-09-22-41-13.png

MrFrost
4  seeder  MrFrost    2 weeks ago

Just a sample of the comments left on the web site. 

Re: Earth seem from 1 million miles.
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2019, 07:30:47 PM »
Quote from: AllAroundTheWorld on March 08, 2019, 06:51:46 PM
Well. Obviously it’s not possible to prove this.

Gotcha!  wink.gif

But you could say that about anything.
If we are going to be strict about it, you can’t prove anything outside of the limited language of mathematics.
I don’t like that Occam’s razor page for 2 reasons. Firstly, it implies that Occam’s razor is an immutable law of the universe when actually it’s more of a rule of thumb.
Secondly, it’s highly subjective what is the “simplest” explanation, you can write things in different ways to imply that the thing you’ve decided to believe is the simplest explanation.

Agree to disagree, but okay.

Given that we can’t prove these photos are real and you can’t prove they are fake we have to go by balance of probabilities. 

Sure.

Firstly, is space travel a thing? Well, I’ve seen a shuttle launch so I’m going to say yes it is. 

You've seen a shuttle launch into space? You're either very tall or space is very close.

Hundreds of people have been into space, 7 of those are space tourists who paid for the privilege. Am I to believe that all of these people are lying? 

Governments aren't particularly truthful and eccentric, loose-screw rich people are particularly common. 

All the photos and film they’ve taken are faked? 

Perhaps. It's plausible. Hollywood sure is a thing.

My satellite dish is pointing at something. I know this because when my neighbour put up some scaffolding which blocked line of sight my TV signal went. On a work trip to Sri Lanka I observed that the dishes there point up at a far steeper angle than they do in the UK. This all tallies with what I’m told about the TV satellites being a in geostationary orbit above the equator. My GPS works, I’m told this is by a network of orbiting satellites. The ISS can be seen from earth, there are websites which tell you when and where.

The sun and the moon are up there, so why not some satellites? A point difference may be whether or not people are actually on the "ISS."

So, I have lots of reasons to believe that space travel is possible and satellites are real, I don’t have any real basis to think all this is faked somehow. So why would I think these photos are fake when all of the technology necessary to take them exists?

The technology to fake such photos is cheaper, more accessible, and developed earlier, I'd imagine.

MrFrost
4.1  seeder  MrFrost  replied to  MrFrost @4    2 weeks ago

The video they are talking about...

r.t..b...
5  r.t..b...    2 weeks ago

"Yeah, Mr. White. Yeah, SCIENCE!"

MrFrost
5.1  seeder  MrFrost  replied to  r.t..b... @5    2 weeks ago
"Yeah, Mr. White. Yeah, SCIENCE!"

Probably one of the more comical themes on their site is watching them try to use science to prove the Earth is flat...right up to the point where the science is clear that they are wrong, then they up the standards for proof.

The post above is an example....

You've seen a shuttle launch into space? You're either very tall or space is very close.

SMFH. 

MrFrost
6  seeder  MrFrost    2 weeks ago

Not as interesting as I thought, I guess.