╌>

A Dogs Life - Sometime it ain't so great. UPDATE July 6th

Category:  News & Politics

By:  kavika  •  5 years ago  •  63 comments

A Dogs Life - Sometime it ain't so great. UPDATE July 6th

When the owners of dogs die they frequently leave behind a pet that has no where to go and no provisions are made for it. It's a very sad situation. 

One of the dogs wants to tell you his story. 

Hi, my name is Zeus and I'm 11 years old now. I'm a pretty big fella, around 95 lbs and I'm a iron colored Pit Bull. Some people think that I'm really scary looking and dangerous. I'm really not, I've never hurt anyone in my life except  that one time that I had to protect my human. 

When I was really really little and living with my other bothers and sisters a man came to where we were and took me home with him. At first I really missed my mom and siblings. What happened was really a good thing since I had my own bed and food and water bowls. He would take me for walks and we'd run and play in the grass. He also had to house train me cuz a couple of times I pee'd on the floor. My human, we'll call him Bud, showed me how to go outside and was really nice to me when I had a accident. No hollering or hitting me, just gentle reminders and showing me again how to go outside. 

Then Bud took me to ''school'' and I learned how to walk on a leash and respond to a lot of his talk, he called them commands. I also made friends with other dogs and even a couple of cats. 

For years and years Bud and I lived the good life. I went everywhere with him and even when people saw me and got scared cuz I was so big and had a not deserved bad reputation. But once they got to know me they found out that I was a loving huge ''ham sandwich''....

Then one night about 3 years ago Bud and I were fast asleep. Bud was sleeping more than usual cuz he was getting older and slowing down some. Anyhow, Bud fell asleep in his recliner and I was dozing on my fluffy rug next to him. 

It was very dark in the house and I sensed something wasn't right. Us dogs have those super senses ya know. I picked up a smell and noise and knew that someone was trying to get into the house...I laid very still and since my eyesight at night is much better than humans have. I knew that I'd see what was happening before Bud could. 

The sliding glass door opened and I could see two humans coming into the house. Suddenly Bud kinda got out of his recliner and shouted at them. A mistake on Bud's part. 

Both had flashlights and shined them in Buds face and eyes. He was blinded but was no match for them anyway. My night vision is excellent and they didn't see or hear me since I didn't growl, bark or make any movement till the time was perfect. 

The first one never saw me coming and I hit him with all 95 lbs of muscle. I knocked him off his feet and sunk my teeth into him arm. The flashlight flew out of his had but in his other had he had something and it hurt me when he hit me with it. I shrugged off the pain and clamped down harder on his arm and dragged him backward. Then I went after the other one that was trying to get back out the door and took him down, my jaws clamped down on his shoulder..

Another pain hit me but I didn't let it stop me as I kept attacking both until they were on the ground and no fight was left in them...

Soon there was loud noises and people coming into the house, but I kept the bad people pinned to the ground...

The next day people from the newspaper came to visit and talk to Bud. The police said I was a hero and that these were really bad guys that I took down. They had stabbed me a couple of times as well. My picture was in the paper and I got all kinds of really good treats. 

The most important thing was that I had protected Bud...He and I are like brothers ya know.

He doesn't have a family but has some really good friends that he told me he was in the Army with and they visit from time to time and the neighbors are all good people as well....So not having a family isn't that hard cuz he has his friends and he has me and I have him.

The next few years were fun for us but Bud was slowing down more and more. I was too cuz I'm not a puppy anymore. 

Bud was walking across the kitchen to get me my lunch when he sort of stumbled and fell down on the floor really hard. I rushed over to him and tried to get him up but he wasn't moving at all. I knew that this was horrible and he needed help. 

The doorbell rang later that evening and everyone knew that I loved to hear the doorbell ring. It meant that people were coming to visit me, well Bud to.

I knew that I had to get their attention and get Bud help...I ran to the door and started barking as loud as I could. I think that whoever was ringing the bell was leaving because the ringing stopped. I had to get their attention so I charged the door and threw all my weight against it. I did this a couple of times and soon people were trying to open the door. 

They got the door open and soon they were taking Bud away. I never did find out what happened to my best friend Bud, but he never came back home. 

(Authors note. Bud had passed away from a heart attack)... 

Soon I was being taken to a animal shelter. I really missed my Bud and wanted to see him again but it was not to be. 

The area I had in the shelter was very small and I was very sad. Soon someone picked me up and I was taken to another shelter that had a lot of room for me, remember I'm really a big guy. Lot's of room to run and other dogs to play with but it wasn't like being at home with Bud. 

I've been here for around a year and am looking for a ''forever home'' again. One day my front shoulder starting hurting and he got worse and worse. The people at this shelter took me to the vet and he stuck a needle into me. They said it was a biopsy and a week later I heard them talking that it was cancer and they could not operate on it.

I don't know what cancer is but it's not good. I get two pills every day and the pain goes away but walking is getting more difficult as the weeks pass. 

Dogs aren't dumb ya know. We're pretty smart in fact, so I know that I probably don't have a lot of time left. 

I still miss my Bud very much and the people at the shelter are doing their best to make me comfortable, but I wish that someone would adopt me so I could spend my last few months in a loving home and I could make their lives happier to. 

Until that time I'll keep wishing that maybe someone will take me home with them. 

If you come to visit the shelter remember my name is Zeus and I'm really big but gentle and loving. I'll be waiting for you...

1142_zeus.jpg

UPDATE JULY 6TH

It was decided that Zeus was in pain and the pain meds were not giving him the relief from his constant pain. The tumor was grown in size and walking now is very difficult for Zeus. 

The vet will come to the shelter on Monday and Zeus will be going to the Rainbow Bridge. It was decided that we wanted him to be in familiar surroundings with his stuffed toys and surrounded by people and dogs that he knew...(we took up a collection for the extra charge for the vet to come to the shelter..The vet refused to accept any payment for this)

Although he wasn't adopted for his last month or so many volunteers visited him on a daily basis and took him for short walks. Others took him on car rides (he loves car rides). Others would play with him he loved his toys. If he went for a walk or car ride he would take his stuffed toy with him. 

Some of the volunteers would take him home for an overnight...He loved that. 

My contribution was bringing him scrambled eggs 3 or 4 times a week...He loved his eggs..

Tomorrow I'll be bringing him steak and eggs and spending a lot of time with him...

I'm sure that Reba will miss him since they are right next door to each other. 

Hopefully Zeus will be spending his after life  at the Rainbow Bridge till his ''person'' joins him..

RB_Poem_Gate.jpg
RainbowBridge.com

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Kavika
Professor Principal
1  author  Kavika     5 years ago

This is a very true story. Zeus doesn't have a lot of time left and deserves to live out his remaining days in a loving home.

KatPen
Freshman Silent
2  KatPen    5 years ago

/////Tears/////

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
3  Jasper2529    5 years ago

This tugged at my heart. I hope that someone will give Zeus his final forever home.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1  author  Kavika   replied to  Jasper2529 @3    5 years ago

He's such a loving dog and hopefully someone will be able to care for him for his last few month. Our shelter will pay any and all vet bills that he has during that time. Also they will furnish all the food, treats and toys at no cost. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

Hope he gets adopted - he was a hero.

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1  author  Kavika   replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4    5 years ago
Hope he gets adopted - he was a hero.

Indeed he is Buzz. Man's best friend and protector.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika @4.1    5 years ago

Your stories make me feel like getting another dog, but my wife's afraid of them.  I don't know what happened in her past that did that.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
6  dave-2693993    5 years ago

Sad story.

Hope someone can provide Zeus a kind forever home for the time he has remaining.

Kavika
Professor Principal
6.1  author  Kavika   replied to  dave-2693993 @6    5 years ago
Hope someone can provide Zeus a kind forever home for the time he has remaining.

Hopefully someone will, dave. In the meantime we're spending a lot of time with him. He loves human company.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
6.1.1  dave-2693993  replied to  Kavika @6.1    5 years ago

Good for you and Red. I am sure Zeus loves ever minute of it.

Kavika
Professor Principal
6.1.2  author  Kavika   replied to  dave-2693993 @6.1.1    5 years ago

He  does dave. 

Interesting thing is happening. Zeus is right next to Reba in the kennel....They can see one another but there is no barking or fence fighting between them. Reba is learning to be ''dog friendly'' and it seems that Zeus is a great example for her.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
6.1.3  dave-2693993  replied to  Kavika @6.1.2    5 years ago

That is great.

You know Kavika, being dogs are pack animals, it is not too far a stretch they consider themselves  members of your pack.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
7  pat wilson    5 years ago

You and Red are the best thing that happened to that shelter !

Kavika
Professor Principal
7.1  author  Kavika   replied to  pat wilson @7    5 years ago
You and Red are the best thing that happened to that shelter !

Thank you for that pat, but there are a lot of people that volunteer many hours every week....

There is only one paid employee, every one else are volunteers. It's an amazing place pat.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
8  Bob Nelson    5 years ago

Excellent, K.

Kavika
Professor Principal
8.1  author  Kavika   replied to  Bob Nelson @8    5 years ago

Thanks Bob.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
9  Trout Giggles    5 years ago

I hope you get your forever home, Zeus, so you can spend your last days surrounded by love

katrix
Sophomore Participates
10  katrix    5 years ago

Aw, this made me cry. 

Assuming the cats I have now live as long as other cats I've had, I'll be around 70 when they're gone.  I don't think I will get another pet after that, for exactly this reason.  There is too great a chance that they would have to be re-homed.  Or depending on my health, maybe I'll get an older rescue animal which isn't likely to outlive me.

Kavika
Professor Principal
10.1  author  Kavika   replied to  katrix @10    5 years ago

It's difficult for Zeus, Katrix....He gave his all for most of his life and now he finds himself in a shelter through no fault of his own or his owner...

It's difficult to have a pet when one gets older. Your idea of a senior rescue dog or cat is a good one. The older dogs/cats are very difficult to get adopted and each one that is rescued is a blessing.

evilone
Professor Guide
11  evilone    5 years ago

Zeus is a handsome boy. I love pitties! I lost my baby girl, Sadie, 14 years ago from a heart attack. She died in front of me the day before her sixth birthday. We treated her with two rounds of chemo after being diagnosed with lymphoma, but it weakened her heart. She was the best dog I ever knew, let alone owned. When we were together she never got more than 3 feet from me.

Now my buddy Tucker (beagle/springer mix) is getting really old and having a hard time walking a lot at nearly 13 years.

Kavika
Professor Principal
11.1  author  Kavika   replied to  evilone @11    5 years ago

I completely understand what your saying about Pitties....I had sisters, Puki and Brandy for 14 years before we lost them...Amazing dogs. 

Our sweet girl, Annie, who we had to put down April of 2018 was part pittie, and once again the most loving dog you could find. 

Our doxie, Wiki still misses Annie...They were soul mates, ate from each others food bowls, slept together and were always at one another side. 

katrix
Sophomore Participates
11.1.1  katrix  replied to  Kavika @11.1    5 years ago

The one thing about pitties is that they don't always get along with other dogs.  My colleague just got a rescue Pit who seemed to get along great with her other 2 dogs.  Then one night (after 3 weeks) it attacked one of the other dogs, broke the dog's leg, and hurt my friend pretty badly when she pulled him off.  She has permanent nerve damage in her hand and a really nasty wound on her ankle that is still healing.  Just had hand surgery last week. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
11.1.2  author  Kavika   replied to  katrix @11.1.1    5 years ago

They can be aggressive. It's usually caused by the treatment before they were rescued. Assholes train them to fight, it's not a pretty thing to see or experience. I've been involved in breaking up some of these dog fighting rings...I'd just like to see these assholes shot. 

I've worked with Pitties for decades and haven't had a bad experience yet. 

On the other hand I was bit badly by a German Shepard. Sadly it's all about how they have been treated in the past. 

evilone
Professor Guide
11.1.3  evilone  replied to  Kavika @11.1.2    5 years ago
They can be aggressive. It's usually caused by the treatment before they were rescued.

Shitty backyard breeders and owners that don't know how to raise dogs, let alone these beautiful dogs. Too many owners don't properly socialize their dogs and/or play "aggressively" with them. 

Enoch
Masters Quiet
12  Enoch    5 years ago

Dear Brother Kavaka: Blessings to you and all who volunteer in the labor of love caring for animals who need this.

Best wishes and good thoughts for Zeus.

P&AB.

Enoch.

Kavika
Professor Principal
12.1  author  Kavika   replied to  Enoch @12    5 years ago

Thanks niijii...

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
13  Perrie Halpern R.A.    5 years ago

Hi Kavika,

I thought that Zeus' biopsy came back OK. Am I wrong?

I feel so sorry for this poor guy. He looks like a really nice dog. He should spend his last days in a loving home. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
13.1  author  Kavika   replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @13    5 years ago
I thought that Zeus' biopsy came back OK. Am I wrong?

You're thinking of Reba. Her biopsy came back clean...In fact she is now free of all parasites and all her organs are working fine. 

Zeus is a whole other story. A beautiful faithful dog that is now alone through no fault of his own..

Hopefully we'll find someone that will take care of him.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
13.1.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Kavika @13.1    5 years ago

Well, I am glad to hear about Reba, but really sad about Zeus. I hope he finds a nice family to take him in and give him lots of love. 

Uptownchick
Junior Silent
14  Uptownchick    5 years ago

61711823_2322965074408352_2979333085687971840_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_oc=AQlp0CCxDjYN4ejoZjO1a_bYJ6SL1FdzpEzTR721kcUIvg9Bk9gmGQps6c4sfDmUD8bPsR3TuWaAKlzwUPKujSzK&_nc_ht=scontent.fdet1-2.fna&oh=7f64afd7efaf00ef7a6ff2150bebe7e8&oe=5D957B59

Kavika
Professor Principal
14.1  author  Kavika   replied to  Uptownchick @14    5 years ago

A thousand thumbs up....Absolutely perfect Uppy. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
15  author  Kavika     5 years ago

Hard to say good bye to a dog that spent his life protecting his owner and being the owners best buddy. 

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
15.1  dave-2693993  replied to  Kavika @15    5 years ago

I can understand.

I still miss my buddy from over 2 decades ago.

Enjoy the good memories.

Kavika
Professor Principal
15.2  author  Kavika   replied to  Kavika @15    5 years ago

The updated information is at the end of the original article....

Also in the comment right below this one.

Kavika
Professor Principal
15.2.1  author  Kavika   replied to  Kavika @15.2    5 years ago

UPDATE JULY 6TH

It was decided that Zeus was in pain and the pain meds were not giving him the relief from his constant pain. The tumor was grown in size and walking now is very difficult for Zeus. 

The vet will come to the shelter on Monday and Zeus will be going to the Rainbow Bridge. It was decided that we wanted him to be in familiar surroundings with his stuffed toys and surrounded by people and dogs that he knew...(we took up a collection for the extra charge for the vet to come to the shelter..The vet refused to accept any payment for this)

Although he wasn't adopted for his last month or so many volunteers visited him on a daily basis and took him for short walks. Others took him on car rides (he loves car rides). Others would play with him he loved his toys. If he went for a walk or car ride he would take his stuffed toy with him. 

Some of the volunteers would take him home for an overnight...He loved that. 

My contribution was bringing him scrambled eggs 3 or 4 times a week...He loved his eggs..

Tomorrow I'll be bringing him steak and eggs and spending a lot of time with him...

I'm sure that Reba will miss him since they are right next door to each other. 

Hopefully Zeus will be spending his after life  at the Rainbow Bridge till his ''person'' joins him..

RB_Poem_Gate.jpg
RainbowBridge.com

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
15.2.2  Raven Wing  replied to  Kavika @15.2.1    5 years ago

So very sorry to hear about Zeus. But, he was with those who cared about him and did all they could to make his life a happy place as best they could. While Reba may miss him now, one day they will meet up again on the other side of the Rainbow Bridge. And now Zeus is at peace and no longer in pain. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
15.2.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika @15.2.1    5 years ago

Damn it Kavika!  There are days when I turn on NT and can start with a laugh.  Fortunately there aren't many like today, when it starts with a tear.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
15.2.4  MrFrost  replied to  Kavika @15.2.1    5 years ago

I am so every sorry, I know it hurts, hang in there. 

Well, he can always hang with Squeaker... :)

KatPen
Freshman Silent
15.2.5  KatPen  replied to  Kavika @15.2.1    5 years ago

Oh No!   So sorry!  I'm glad I got to meet him yesterday.  Be free of your pain, big boy.

/////Tears/////

Kavika
Professor Principal
15.2.6  author  Kavika   replied to  MrFrost @15.2.4    5 years ago
Well, he can always hang with Squeaker.

Absolutely 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
16  MrFrost    5 years ago

Fantastic article, thanks so much for sharing this. I am so sorry I missed it when it was posted. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
17  Perrie Halpern R.A.    5 years ago

Kavika,

I am a bit confused. Did he pass?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
18  Perrie Halpern R.A.    5 years ago

I am so sorry to hear about Zeus. I realize that Monday will be a hard day for all who loved him and of course saying good bye. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
19  sandy-2021492    5 years ago

A peaceful crossing to Zeus, and strength and peace yo his friends as they see him to the crossing.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
20  pat wilson    5 years ago

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
21  KDMichigan    5 years ago

Thankfully someone took the old boy in at the end unless I didn't understand. Every dog the wife and I see up for adoption we want. 

“A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself.” —Josh Billings 

Kavika
Professor Principal
21.1  author  Kavika   replied to  KDMichigan @21    5 years ago
Thankfully someone took the old boy in at the end unless I didn't understand. Every dog the wife and I see up for adoption we want. 

All the volunteers took him in KD....He was a hell of a dog, defender of his owner and protective of all that he loved until the end. He will be missed by all. 

“A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself.”—Josh Billings 

Perfect.

Every dog the wife and I see up for adoption we want. 

Thankfully there are people like you and your wife...There are so many dogs out there waiting in shelters for a ''forever home''....

LynneA
Freshman Silent
22  LynneA    5 years ago

Steak and eggs before crossing the bridge, how delightful for Zeus.  May your time with him bring peace and calm to you both.  Please give him a special hug from all your NT friends.

PJ
Masters Quiet
23  PJ    5 years ago

I will think of Zeus on Monday and send him wishes of peace. 

TTGA
Professor Silent
24  TTGA    5 years ago
Hopefully Zeus will be spending his after life at the Rainbow Bridge till his ''person'' joins him..

I think that his person (Bud) is already there waiting for him Kav.  He sure did have some great substitutes for the last year, though.

Kavika
Professor Principal
24.1  author  Kavika   replied to  TTGA @24    5 years ago
I think that his person (Bud) is already there waiting for him Kav.  He sure did have some great substitutes for the last year, though.

That's true TTGA...Zeus will be seeing Bud soon. All Zeus substitutes are really going to miss him though. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
25  author  Kavika     5 years ago

This photo was taken at 10am this morning just after Zeus had his steak and eggs. He loved his S&E's....

Yeah, that's me the two legged one. 

KatPen
Freshman Silent
25.1  KatPen  replied to  Kavika @25    5 years ago

Awww... he's a sweetie!  Thank you for his steak and eggs, and your great care of him.  

Kavika
Professor Principal
26  author  Kavika     5 years ago

Zeus is on his way to the Rainbow Bridge right now...I'm sure that Bud will be waiting for him. 

He had many volunteers staying with him in his last minutes...

He was a hell of a dog. 

Baamaapii (until later my friend).

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
26.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Kavika @26    5 years ago

Have a good rest, Zeus.  You've earned it.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
26.2  1stwarrior  replied to  Kavika @26    5 years ago

Thank you for your love and sharing of Zeus' story.

RIP Zeus.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
26.3  Raven Wing  replied to  Kavika @26    5 years ago

While it is sad to see Zeus walk on, it is a relief that he is no longer in pain and suffering at this point in his life. 

May the Creator hold him His loving hands as he crosses the Rainbow Bridge to join all his friends and loved ones who are waiting for him on the other side. Only joy and happiness await him now.

nv-wa-do-hi-ya-dv (Peace) forever after Zeus.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
26.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  Kavika @26    5 years ago

Good bye, Zeus. I'm sorry you had to leave so soon, but I think you made some great friends while you were here.

If you see a Beagle and a border collie/sheltie mutt will you sniff their butts, please, and tell them Mommy misses them

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
26.5  JohnRussell  replied to  Kavika @26    5 years ago

Sorry to hear about your loss Kavika. He sounds like he was a great dog. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
27  Perrie Halpern R.A.    5 years ago

Good bye Zeus. May you find the toys of your dreams and your perfect friend. Your pain is over and you are in a lovely place. Rest in peace.