╌>

Southern Baptist Leader Told Student It Was ‘Good’ She Was Raped

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  tessylo  •  5 years ago  •  23 comments

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

JUNE 3, 2018 BY   MICHAEL STONE

Paige Patterson, former president of the Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, tells student it was a “good thing” that she was raped.

Patterson, former president of the Southern Baptist Convention,  was fired  as president of the Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary last week after disturbing facts came to light about the religious leader’s over-the-top misogyny, and his deplorable treatment of sexual assault victims.

According to reports, Paterson lied about his treatment of a rape victim, and tried to isolate another rape victim from police so he could “break her down.”

The  Star-Telegram  reports:

The fired Southern Baptist seminary leader who wanted to get an alleged rape victim alone to “break her down” also said it was a “good thing” she had been raped and that her future husband wouldn’t care if she was a virgin or not…

More from The  Star-Telegram :

Paige Patterson, a giant in the Southern Baptist world, was  fired  from the Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary in Fort Worth on May 30 in response to his handling of sexual assault allegations. He had been pushed to  president emeritus  May 23.

The three alleged assaults took place in October 2014 and April 2015 and were reported in August 2015. The alleged assailant, according to the victim’s attorney, Stuart Cochran of Dallas, was a Southwestern student and employee.

“I am told he said it was a ‘good thing’ my client had been raped and that her future husband wouldn’t care if she was a virgin or not,” Cochran said of Paige in a statement to the Star-Telegram. “He threatened to sic lawyers on her [mother] for questioning his leadership at the school when she asked why the assailant was allowed on campus.”

That’s right, Patterson wanted to be alone with a rape victim so he could “break her down” before the police could talk to her. In addition, he also told her it was a “good thing” that she had been raped and that her future husband “wouldn’t care if she was a virgin or not.”

This is not the first time Patterson has made headlines for being a misogynistic pig. Earlier this year reports surfaced that Patterson claimed that it’s “always wrong” to support a woman seeking a divorce, even if that woman is being physically abused by her husband.

In a recently released tape first reported on by the Texas Statesman , Patterson was asked what he recommends for women “who are undergoing genuine physical abuse from their husbands, and the husband says they should submit.”

Patterson  replied :

It depends on the level of abuse to some degree. I have never in my ministry counseled that anybody seek a divorce, and I do think that’s always wrong counsel. There have been, however, an occasion or two when the level of the abuse was serious enough, dangerous enough, immoral enough that I have counseled temporary separation and the seeking of help. I would urge you to understand that that should happen only in the most serious of cases. . . More often, when you face abuse, it is of a less serious variety.

Later in the tape Patterson says he would give this advice to women being abused by their husbands:

you have to do what you can at home to be submissive in every way that you can and to elevate him

That’s right, Patterson’s advice to a woman being beaten and physically abused by her husband was “to be submissive” and to “elevate” her abuser.

In  yet another example  of the depraved misogyny and immorality at the heart of conservative Christianity, Patterson argued that it is “biblical” for adult men to lust after underage girls.

In a recently uncovered sermon Paige is caught joking about lusting after a “very attractive young co-ed” who he noted “wasn’t more than about 16.” Commenting on the underage girl, Patterson tells his large congregation:

Mmmmmm… Let me just say, she was nice.

In the sermon, the Southern Baptist leader went on to suggest that lusting after the teen was “just being biblical.”

Bottom line: Prominent Southern Baptist leader Paige Patterson tells women being abused by their husbands that divorce is not an option, justifies pedophilia as “just being biblical,” and once told a student that it was a “good thing” that she was raped.

PattersonP2.png
Southern Baptist Leader Paige Patterson Told Student It Was ‘Good’ She Was Raped (Image via Screen Grab)

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Tessylo    5 years ago

I have to wonder how many young underage women this prick has raped.  

epistte
Junior Guide
1.1  epistte  replied to  Tessylo @1    5 years ago
I have to wonder how many young underage women this prick has raped. 

Is this an example of the Christian religious morality that evangelicals are always talking about?

This is the same church that opposes equal rights for LGBT people in business. The wedding cake baker is a member of this church. I wonder if he would bake a cake for a rape celebration?

So while his case winds its way through legal channels, perhaps destined for the U.S. Supreme Court, Phillips has opted since March 2014 not to take any new orders for wedding cakes rather than be forced to create them for two men or two women.
So far, Phillips, who belongs to a Baptist-rooted church, has lost at each step of the legal process.

A Catholic Bishop said that children should not attend a Pride parade because it is harmful. He seems to not have a problem with molesting kids though because that is beneficial to them in the eyes of the RCC.

Rhode Island's Roman Catholic bishop on Sunday defended a tweet urging Catholics to not support or attend LGBTQ Pride Month events, saying it was his obligation to teach the faith "clearly and compassionately, even on very difficult and sensitive issues."

Diocese of Providence Bishop Thomas Tobin sparked a backlash beginning Saturday when he tweeted, "A reminder that Catholics should not support or attend LGBTQ 'Pride Month' events held in June. They promote a culture and encourage activities that are contrary to Catholic faith and morals. They are especially harmful for children."

The posting spurred rebukes by thousands of people who replied on Twitter, including actresses Mia Farrow and Patricia Arquette. Many invoked the scandals of clergy sexual abuse of children in the church.

nightwalker
Sophomore Silent
2  nightwalker    5 years ago

Religious extremists of all faiths prove there is a very thin line between religious zeal and total insanity.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.1  Gordy327  replied to  nightwalker @2    5 years ago

I'm beginning to think there is no line.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Gordy327 @2.1    5 years ago

I agree - I believe the religious zealots are totally insane.  

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.1.2  Gordy327  replied to  Tessylo @2.1.1    5 years ago

Then the question becomes, which came first: the religion or the insanity?

katrix
Sophomore Participates
2.1.3  katrix  replied to  Gordy327 @2.1.2    5 years ago

Well, he has it right about pedophilia being biblical.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
2.1.4  bbl-1  replied to  Gordy327 @2.1.2    5 years ago

the religion-- is the answer you seek.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
4  Freefaller    5 years ago

What an ass

katrix
Sophomore Participates
4.1  katrix  replied to  Freefaller @4    5 years ago

Did you know that in Alabama - which just passed a law preventing rape victims from getting abortions - the rapist isn't prohibited from going for custody if his victim gets pregnant?

epistte
Junior Guide
4.1.1  epistte  replied to  katrix @4.1    5 years ago
Did you know that in Alabama - which just passed a law preventing rape victims from getting abortions - the rapist isn't prohibited from going for custody if his victim gets pregnant?

It was discovered that the rapist also has parental rights and can fight for custody.  Why would the Alabama politicians put this in the law because this didn't get there by accident?

When a young woman came to the Family Services of North Alabama office last year for help with trauma, saying she had been raped by her step-uncle when she was 15, rape crisis advocate Portia Shepherd heard something that “killed me, shocked me”.

The step-uncle, who was getting out of jail after a drug conviction, wanted to be a part of their child’s life. And in Alabama, the alleged rapist could get custody.

“It’s the craziest thing I ever heard in my life,” said Ms Shepherd. “On the state level, people were shocked. How could Alabama even be missing this law?”

Alabama is one of two states with no statute terminating parental rights for a person found to have conceived the child by rape or incest , a fact that has gained fresh relevance since its lawmakers adopted the nation’s strictest abortion ban in May.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
4.1.2  Freefaller  replied to  katrix @4.1    5 years ago

Yes I had seen that, just all kinds of stupid there.

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
5  livefreeordie    5 years ago

No story. He was appropriately fired for his stupidity

epistte
Junior Guide
5.1  epistte  replied to  livefreeordie @5    5 years ago
No story. He was appropriately fired for his stupidity

If he felt bold enough to stay it then how many other people like him are still in the Baptist church establishment? 

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
5.1.1  livefreeordie  replied to  epistte @5.1    5 years ago

I wouldn’t have any idea, I’m not a Baptist. Hopefully none

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
5.2  Freefaller  replied to  livefreeordie @5    5 years ago

I completely agree, just like Dahlmer, Sandy Hook, Vegas were no story's.  So long as they were punished.

Dulay
Professor Expert
5.2.1  Dulay  replied to  Freefaller @5.2    5 years ago

I hope that was meant sarcastically. 

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
5.2.2  livefreeordie  replied to  Freefaller @5.2    5 years ago

No relevance. Those were criminal actions to harm others physically. This guy is guilty of having stupid thoughts

Dulay
Professor Expert
5.2.3  Dulay  replied to  livefreeordie @5.2.2    5 years ago
This guy is guilty of having stupid thoughts

He was fired for doing harm to his flock by taking his ideology a bridge too far. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.3  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  livefreeordie @5    5 years ago

Then why did you comment 'pastor'?

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
6  bbl-1    5 years ago

Pastor Patterson is christian taliban. 

His thoughts were not stupid or vindictive.  He believes literally the Abrahamic codes.  In short, he is just another 'christian' insanely jealous of the control his Muslim counterparts have achieved in many portions of the Islamic World. 

a.  Women are guaranteed only that which the male dominance provides.  As ordained by faith.