╌>

David Ortiz shot, hospitalized in Dominican Republic

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  vic-eldred  •  5 years ago  •  10 comments

David Ortiz shot, hospitalized in Dominican Republic
They called me to tell me that David is injured and that they took him to a medical center, but they did not tell me how he is or exactly where he was transferred.”

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Multiple people, including ESPN’s   Enrique Rojas   and   Marly Rivera , are reporting that former   Red Sox   slugger   David Ortiz   was shot in the leg and hospitalized in the Dominican Republic on Sunday.

Ortiz’s father said to Rojas, “They called me to tell me that David is injured and that they took him to a medical center, but they did not tell me how he is or exactly where he was transferred.”

Initial reports said that the incident occurred during a robbery attempt, but early this morning   police in the Dominican Republic said   that was not the case. Rather, alleged video of the incident shows a man walking up to Ortiz in a bar, aiming at him at almost point blank and firing the gun with no apparent attempt to rob him. Obviously more details will come out soon.

John Tomase of NBC Sports Boston   points out that the   updated story from CDN 37   of the Dominican Republic says that Ortiz was shot in the back and the bullet exited through his stomach.   According to Dionisio Soldevila , the chief of police said that Ortiz is in stable condition, which is great to hear.

The Boston Red Sox released the following statement early this morning:

“Late last night we were made aware of an incident involving David Ortiz in the Dominican Republic. David’s family has confirmed that he sustained a gunshot wound to the lower back/abdominal region. David is being treated at Clinica Abel Gonzalez in Santo Domingo where he is recovering after surgery. We have offered David’s family all available resources to aid in his recovery and will continue to keep them in our hearts.”

The 43-year-old retired from baseball after the 2016 season, ending a 20-year career in which he won three World Series, earned seven Silver Slugger Awards, and made the All-Star team 10 times. Between the Twins and Red Sox, Ortiz hit .286/.380/.552 with 541 home runs and 1,768 RBI.

DavidOrtiz.jpg

UPDATE : Here’s the latest on Ortiz’s condition:

This is the last information we have on David Ortiz’s condition. He’s currently in intensive care, where he will remain for at least the next 24 hours. It’s worth noting that he’s reported to be in stable condition.....Marly Rivera

Article is LOCKED by author/seeder
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Vic Eldred    5 years ago

Ortiz is absolutely loved by his fans in Boston

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2  Sparty On    5 years ago

Awww not big poppy.   Hope he is okay.

I was in the DR about 5 years ago.   In an all inclusive resort near the place where all those people have been dying of respiratory failure lately.   The resorts where i was were like compounds that were patrolled 24/7 by armed guards.   And i'm not talking cops with handguns.   I'm talking full battle rattle, automatic rifles, the works.   Not the most comfortable situation for vacation.

I enjoyed my time there but couldn't help always being cognizant of that.    No desire to go back for that reason.   Great place to visit but not worth dying for.

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
2.1  MonsterMash  replied to  Sparty On @2    5 years ago
Awww not big poppy.  

Nope, not big poppy, Ortiz is known as "Big Papi".

This sounds more like a deliberate attempt to murder Ortiz than a robbery gone bad.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
3  Tacos!    5 years ago

Super weird. If this was intentional - and assuming the shooter didn't know him personally - what possible beef could someone have with this guy? Crazed Yankee fan?

MrFrost
Professor Expert
4  MrFrost    5 years ago
was shot in the leg

Couple of news sources said he was shot in the back and the bullet exited or was lodged in his stomach. Video of the shooting. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
5  Kavika     5 years ago

The latest report is that Papi had his gallbladder removed and part of his intestine. He also has damage to his liver.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6  seeder  Vic Eldred    5 years ago

Retired Red Sox player   David Ortiz   landed in Boston in an air ambulance Monday night after a targeted shooting at a bar in Santo Domingo forced doctors in his home nation of the   Dominican Republic   to remove his gallbladder and part of his intestine.

Ortiz, 43, arrived in Boston around 10:30 p.m. after the Red Sox sent a plane to transport him to Massachusetts General Hospital. The former MLB player known best by the nickname “Big Papi” was shot at close range in the torso Sunday night at the Dial Bar and Lounge in Santo Domingo.