╌>

Jon Stewart joins 9/11 first responders, family members on Capitol Hill to fight for victim compensation

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  5 years ago  •  25 comments

Jon Stewart joins 9/11 first responders, family members on Capitol Hill to fight for victim compensation
The 9/11 Victim Compensation Fund was created to help those suffering from 9/11-related illnesses and their families, but with 21,000 claims still outstanding, the fund is starting to run out of money.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    5 years ago

And may I remind you:

Ender
Professor Principal
2  Ender    5 years ago

I was going to post the video of him. 

He spoke with passion and tears. As he said, to an almost empty congress that could not get themselves there to hear from the 911 responders.

Shame on congress. Just shameful. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1  Tessylo  replied to  Ender @2    5 years ago

I love this man.  

luther28
Sophomore Silent
2.2  luther28  replied to  Ender @2    5 years ago
Shame on congress. Just shameful.

It would seem that they are collectively without shame, in our Legislators it has gone the way of honor and the Dodo. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.2.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  luther28 @2.2    5 years ago
 in our Legislators it has gone the way of honor and the Dodo. 

I have to agree with you luther. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     5 years ago

How frickin' sad. The congress of the United States couldn't take time out from their so very busy schedules to listen to the first responders. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Kavika @3    5 years ago
How frickin' sad. The congress of the United States couldn't take time out from their so very busy schedules to listen to the first responders. 

I know. They were promised that they would never be forgotten and now when they are needed the most, they have been. We New Yorkers were lied to about the air quality by our own government, and now we are being forgotten. 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
3.1.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.1    5 years ago
I know. They were promised that they would never be forgotten and now when they are needed the most, they have been. We New Yorkers were lied to about the air quality by our own government, and now we are being forgotten. 

After what those human beings went through then, and what they have gone through since is unimaginable.

In my book.....Every Congressman and Woman, regardless of their political party, who does not agree to do the right thing for these people, should be ejected from their seat. 

Because....if they lack the heart to do what is right for those who care enough to suffer through Hell at the rick of their own lives, have NO place in America's government, in a country that is supposed to be for the people, not just the WH and Congress.

JMOO

freepress
Freshman Silent
4  freepress    5 years ago

Too bad that not ONE Republican is standing up and becoming an advocate as passionately on any issue for our first responders. 

Republicans are too consumed with destroying our rights and lining their pockets with tax cuts, not only do they not show up, but they do what they did during the Obama years and obstruct all progress that helps Americans like our first responders.

You sure got a full house of Republicans repealing healthcare and lining the pockets of the wealthy with tax cuts.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
4.1  Raven Wing  replied to  freepress @4    5 years ago

Yeah..... and our President is too busy tweeting nasty verbal attacks on those he feels threatened by, and trying to decide where he will play gold this weekend.

And his oh so patriotic supporters obviously don't really care either. After all, all the Responders in question are gonna die soon so what is there to be that concerned about? Unless of course, it is one of their family. ?   ??? 

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
5  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    5 years ago

I bet they aired this on CNN 50 times last night.  I cried all 50 times.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @5    5 years ago

I personally know too many first responders who have died or are sick from the air there. Also, all the residents that were lied to by our government. This is insane that we don't take care of ower own. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
6  MrFrost    5 years ago

Sickening. No other way to put it. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
7  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    5 years ago

What I am finding shocking is I thought this was one topic that we could all agree on. Yet I only see a handful of people here. 

How utterly depressing. 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
7.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @7    5 years ago
How utterly depressing. 

How true. And where is the outrage and anger? Where are the Trump supporters demanding that Congress, both sides, do the right thing by those who spend days and nights in a nightmarish environment trying to save lives, and then.....retrieve those who were not in too many pieces to be sorted out.

Only to find that they had been exposed to deadly carcinogens and other life threatening ailments that none of them gave any thoughts at all about at the time, not even the risk of their own death from unknown circumstances they might encounter while doing all they could to try and save and protect the lives of others.

CONGRESS!!!!! WHERE IS THE CARE!!!

THESE MEN AND WOMEN HAVE ALREADY BEEN TO HELL AND BACK!! WHERE WERE YOU? ARE YOU TOO AFRAID TO LEARN THE TRUTH YOU HAVE BEEN IGNORING ALL THIS TIME BECAUSE IT IS NOT ONE OF YOU OR A FAMILY MEMBER?

AMERICAN LIVES MATTER!! ESPECIALLY, THOSE WHO ARE WILLING TO PUT THEIR LIVES ON THE LINE FOR YOU!!

And yes......I am damned angry. They deserve better from their country, regardless of what political party they belong to or what their religion is. 

THE CREATOR DOESN'T CARE.......WHY DO YOU?

My heart cries at the injustice that has been inflicted on all these men and women who jumped into the pits of the most unimaginable Hell without a thought to their own life, as to them, lives, regardless of who they were or where they were from, mattered to them enough to make that ultimate call. 

JMOO.........

Sorry.......I had to wait to respond until I could write in a manner that could not be offensive to those here and the Creator. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
7.2  MrFrost  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @7    5 years ago
Yet I only see a handful of people here. 

I can't speak for others, but I have noticed that the articles that get the most traffic are usually articles where the subject matter is debatable. Nothing to dispute here, no arguments to pose.  

Ender
Professor Principal
7.2.1  Ender  replied to  MrFrost @7.2    5 years ago

I wonder. I remember from my NV days that there is a certain segment that hated Jon, even though he went after both sides of the isle. Some probably wouldn't watch it just because of their dislike of him from his days on the air.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
7.2.2  Raven Wing  replied to  MrFrost @7.2    5 years ago

IMHO, the one most important thing to voice here, is SUPPORT. No matter which which side of the political spectrum one is from.

And how hard is that?  ??

MrFrost
Professor Expert
7.2.3  MrFrost  replied to  Raven Wing @7.2.2    5 years ago

I totally agree! 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
7.2.4  MrFrost  replied to  Ender @7.2.1    5 years ago
Some probably wouldn't watch it just because of their dislike of him from his days on the air.

True. I think I have watched his show....maybe twice? Not for any real reason, it just wasn't something I enjoy. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
8  JohnRussell    5 years ago

Jon Stewart's finest hour in public. I think his words impressed a lot of people around the country. 

I think they passed the bill in question out of the House today. 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
8.1  Raven Wing  replied to  JohnRussell @8    5 years ago

Fine. And they can pat themselves in the back for what should have been done long before.

And now the Bill will go to the Senate, where it will depend on if McConnell will allow it to brought to the floor. Knowing how self-centered and uncaring McConnell is, it is unlikely that it will ever make it to the floor. 

If it will not help him or his Chinese related wife he keep it off the floor indefinitely, and likely let it die in the Senate, unless, he is strong-armed by his peers who want to look good for the upcoming elections to bring it for a vote. 

Sadly, I doubt it will ever pass. Why spend good money on people who will be soon dying? Eh?

JMOO 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
9  It Is ME    5 years ago

I liked what John did.

Just don't tell congress to do their job. They'll take it as a personal attack ! Demi-Gods don't like to be questioned.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
10  Jeremy Retired in NC    5 years ago

I don't particularly like Jon's show but I stand behind him 100% on this.  There is absolutely no reason that it should come to this.

These are First Responders.  They run into those towers, into hell, while everybody else was running out.  They need to be taken care of FIRST.