╌>

I Want To Thank Perrie

Category:  Other

By:  john-russell  •  5 years ago  •  55 comments

I Want To Thank Perrie

I am creating this article for the purpose of thanking Perrie for everything she does for Newstalkers , and for being a great leader of this forum for 8 years. Lord knows it has not always been easy for her. There are times when the membership, the topics and the comments and even interactions of members can "try men's souls". 

I imagine there are times when she feels up against it. Through it all she has kept her own performance as owner and moderator on an incredibly even keel. She has shown tremendous patience with a myriad of differing opinions and has kept calm through a few internet forum storms. There is no doubt she has a great temperament for someone in her position. 

No, it's not her birthday, yet. 

I think it is a good time to let her know much we appreciate her affording us a place to vent our opinions about this world. And she has seeded and written many great articles herself as well. 

Long live NT !

Thank you for being a friend and leader Perrie. 

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  author  JohnRussell    5 years ago

Please do not move to meta. This article is in the "Other" category. 

The topic is what is suggested in the article. Off topic comments will be subject to deletion. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     5 years ago

IMO Perrie does a great job, but it's best to acknowledge the power behind Perrie. That would be Wally the Cat extraordinaire . Without the power behind the thrown/throne (take your choice) NT, no the world may just come to a halt. 

All hail Wally. 

and Kudos to Perrie.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Kavika @2    5 years ago

Yes, Wally is a part of the Newstalkers family. The mascot. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Kavika   replied to  JohnRussell @2.1    5 years ago

LOL, I don't think that Wally looks at himself as a mascot...

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1    5 years ago

Wait a sec.  Wally might to "a" mascot for NT, but I always thought Wiki was THE mascot.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.4  Kavika   replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1.3    5 years ago

Wiki is the official mascot. Wally is an impersonator...

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
2.1.5  Raven Wing  replied to  Kavika @2.1.4    5 years ago
Wally is an impersonator...

Wally is the 'real' RA.....Regal Authority. (grin)

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.1.6  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Raven Wing @2.1.5    5 years ago

Wally says Thanks!

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
2.1.7  Raven Wing  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.1.6    5 years ago

jrSmiley_79_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_81_smiley_image.gif

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
2.2  Raven Wing  replied to  Kavika @2    5 years ago
All hail Wally. 

jrSmiley_12_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_12_smiley_image.gif

Uptownchick
Junior Silent
2.3  Uptownchick  replied to  Kavika @2    5 years ago

All hail Wally!! He is one amazing dude!

But, there is another pretty amazing guy behind the throne...props to Matt! jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

lady in black
Professor Quiet
3  lady in black    5 years ago

Thank you Perrie for all you do!!!!!

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
4  Raven Wing    5 years ago

I totally agree with this article. Perrie has not only been a diligent and fair site Moderator and RA, but, gives a much leeway as she can in order to be fair when in doubt.

She is also a dear and trusted friend. We have long identified as being "Sisters of Another Mother", as we are so much alike in many ways.

She has also been a valued Mentor over the years. I have learned a great deal from her, both personally and professionally. 

It has been my great privilege to be a Member of NewsTalkers over all these many years. I can only hope that in some way I have been as good a friend to NT as it has been to me. (smile)

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5  TᵢG    5 years ago

I do not know how she does it at times.   What goes on behind the scenes (beyond the endless drama of the moderation task) to keep a forum like NT going is greatly underappreciated (because people simply do not know all these things that Perrie does, such as deal with the endless frustration of advertisers or the malicious jerks attacking the site with bots, paid human marketing stooges, ...).

And she does this as a community service.

Gotta give her a ton of credit!

lib50
Professor Silent
6  lib50    5 years ago

Thank you Perrie!  I know I don't make it easy on you sometimes, but I always respect your decisions.  No way I could ever do what you do! 

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
7  Jasper2529    5 years ago

John Russell -

I don't understand why you sent me the link to this article via Chat and labeled it "boo", because you and I have never communicated in this manner.

I have a very high regard for Perrie and her dedication to NT, and I've expressed this to her several times. She seems to think well of me, too, because she asked me to be a moderator.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
8  author  JohnRussell    5 years ago
I don't understand why you sent me the link to this article via Chat, because you and I have never communicated in this manner.

I sent it to everyone who was on the chat list at the time I created the article. 

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
8.1  Jasper2529  replied to  JohnRussell @8    5 years ago
I sent it to everyone who was on the chat list at the time I created the article. 

I understand that your intention now is to be nice to Perrie even though you've often criticized her in the past and how she runs NT. 

I would have simply written an article and published it instead of privately imposing on a site's members by saying "boo" and the link.

To each, his own.  jrSmiley_2_smiley_image.png   

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
8.1.1  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Jasper2529 @8.1    5 years ago

Perhaps your comments would have been better received in a more private setting.  

That said, if you have some kind and positive thoughts about Perrie, I'd love to read them.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
8.1.2  Raven Wing  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @8.1.1    5 years ago
That said, if you have some kind and positive thoughts about Perrie, I'd love to read them.

Agreed. If one can't say anything nice, then don't say anything at all. And I did not get any 'boo' with my Chat notice, just the link which I opened. 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
8.1.3  Raven Wing  replied to  Jasper2529 @8.1    5 years ago
I would have simply written an article and published it instead of privately imposing on a site's members by saying "boo" and the link.

Sorry....but, it was in no way any imposition on me as a Member to express my gratitude and thanks to Perrie as you seem to assume others feel the same as you do. And I appreciate the chance John provided to do so as an active Member of this site. 

Then intention is for those who choose to do so to pay our respects to Perrie, who more than deserves it, not assume that those who do are somehow being imposed on to do so. 

There's a party pooper in every crowd, even here on NT. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
8.1.4  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Raven Wing @8.1.3    5 years ago

I sent the same link to everyone who was on chat at the time.
 None of them contained "boo"

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
8.1.5  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Jasper2529 @8.1    5 years ago

Thanks for the unsolicited advice. I sent the link to the dozen people who were on the chat list at the time. It didnt occur to me that someone would bitch that they were imposed upon. Now I know. 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
8.1.6  Raven Wing  replied to  JohnRussell @8.1.4    5 years ago

John, that comment was Sister's, not mine. But, it happens. (smile)

I wanted to confirm that there was no 'boo' in my Chat notice from you, so I don't know where Jasper's came from.

Also, thank you for providing this article to allow those of us who wish to do so to show our appreciate and thanks for Perrie and all she does so tirelessly for all of us. 

We can't see that is going on behind the scenes and don't really realize all that the does for make, and keep, this great site for us. Being able to say "Thank You" to her and have a bit of fun as well is a great idea. I know she appreciates it as well. jrSmiley_79_smiley_image.gif

Ender
Professor Principal
8.1.7  Ender  replied to  JohnRussell @8.1.5    5 years ago

Not defending anybody, believe me, but what is being referred to is the space where it says I'm available, or whatever you put there. Under your name it says boo.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
8.1.8  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Ender @8.1.7    5 years ago

That is my tag line on chat.   It is not part of ANY message. 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
8.1.9  Raven Wing  replied to  Ender @8.1.7    5 years ago
Under your name it says boo.

I never saw that. I just look in the message section. jrSmiley_74_smiley_image.gif

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
8.1.10  Jasper2529  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @8.1.1    5 years ago

Please read the second paragraph of comment 7jrSmiley_34_smiley_image.gif

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
9  Freefaller    5 years ago

Thanks Perrie, you have demonstrated more patience and tolerance than we probably deserve

Enoch
Masters Quiet
10  Enoch    5 years ago

Dear Friend John Russell: Well said.

All good things to Perrie for all she does.

Gold star after your name for recognizing it.

Peace and Abundant Blessings Always.

Enoch.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
11  Mark in Wyoming     5 years ago

For Red, for those times she just needs to be taken away.....thanx for all you do

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
12  Vic Eldred    5 years ago

Let me get on board with this - Perrie, you've done a great job with this. It can't be easy. You handled it like a girl from Queens.

Well done!

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
12.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Vic Eldred @12    5 years ago

Hear hear. Perrie, you are a fantastic lady who runs a fantastic site! I have thoroughly our conversations and look forward to more.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
13  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

Perrie was my greenhouse guide when I first joined NV, my second friend there, and one of the very best friends I have  had on NT since I became one of its first members. If not for her, I doubt I would still be here. This woman who is an accountant, a teacher, a baker, a wife, a daughter and a mother actually finds the time to be the manager of this group of extremely disparate (sometime desperate) blabbermouths. How she does it, and in fact WHY she does it, is beyond me, but we are SO lucky she does, and does it right notwithstanding constantly being criticized for it, but at least here being deservedly praised. Thank you Perrie.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
13.1  Jasper2529  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @13    5 years ago

Well said, Buzz. Perrie has privately told me that she she thinks very highly of you!

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
13.2  Vic Eldred  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @13    5 years ago

Ya, the greenhouse!  I'll bet some over hear don't know what that was?

pat wilson
Professor Participates
15  pat wilson    5 years ago

Kudos to you Perrie ! I don't know how you do it !

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
16  dave-2693993    5 years ago

Good article John.

I too agree and appreciate the sentiments you have expressed in this article and in yours and others comments.

Good work Perrie.

You are doing a great job.

charger 383
Professor Silent
17  charger 383    5 years ago

Perrie deserves all members thanks. I was unhappy when NV was closed down and very happy NT was here  

KatPen
Freshman Silent
18  KatPen    5 years ago

I can't even imagine what Perrie's "duties" are, keeping this site running, and doing a wonderful job at them all!   I bet I  can't even count all the things she does on a daily basis!  Thank you Perrie!   You're the best!

(((((((PERRIE)))))))

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
19  Perrie Halpern R.A.    5 years ago

Well, I am kind of speechless. I didn't expect this. Thank you to all, for all your kind words. Of course, NT would be a hollow shell without you folks, the members. You are what makes NT. 

Thanks so much for this lovely thank you!

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
19.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @19    5 years ago

jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
20  Bob Nelson    5 years ago

Good idea, John.

We all "kinda sorta know" all that Perrie does for the site. But it's important, from time to time, to give her the recognition she deserves.

I complain all the time, and will continue until I get her to change her mind about the CoC... but as a member from the very first days, I have watched the site grow, with all the problems inherent in that growth. Perrie has been a fine herder of cats!

The visual aspect of has become clear and attractive. Operations - all the 'behind the scenes' work on loading speeds and such - have improved greatly, despite NT's growth.

original

Uptownchick
Junior Silent
21  Uptownchick    5 years ago

Thank you Perrie for everything. You're so much more than NT, to me. You have become one of my best friends, ever, always there through the hardest times in my life. The best is yet to come and I know you'll be a part of it. 

original.png

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
22  FLYNAVY1    5 years ago

I'm sure at times Perrie feels like it's worse than herding cats here on NT, but I take my hat off to Perrie for being the best cat herder I've ever know!

Thanks for everything Perrie!

luther28
Sophomore Silent
23  luther28    5 years ago

Thank you for putting up with my particular brand of insanity, you are our leader Perrie our Ninja Warrior:)

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
25  sandy-2021492    5 years ago

Thread #24 was a derail, and has been deleted.  This is a nice article.  Please, let's keep it that way.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
25.1  Raven Wing  replied to  sandy-2021492 @25    5 years ago

Thank you! jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif