╌>

Knox County DA 'looking into' detective's church sermon calling for execution of LGBTQ people

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  epistte  •  5 years ago  •  48 comments

Knox County DA 'looking into' detective's church sermon calling for execution of LGBTQ people

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

In the hourlong sermon based on an Old Testament passage, Detective Grayson Fritts, also a pastor at All Scripture Baptist Church in Knoxville, told his congregation June 2 that he believes that federal, state and county governments should arrest, try, convict and "speedily" execute people within the LGBTQ community on no more grounds than a cell phone photo of a person participating in a Pride event.

Sheriff Tom Spangler issued a statement Wednesday afternoon, after the Knoxville News Sentinel first reported about the Fritts' sermon, that Fritts had asked two weeks ago to take a county buyout offer. Spangler said he agreed, and Fritts is on paid sick leave until it takes effect July 19.

Knox Pride President Jennifer Green said the organization has not previously encountered any issues with the sheriff's office and works with the Knoxville Police Department and the city on security for the event. 

All Scripture Baptist Church describes itself as an "independent, fundamental, King James Bible only, soul-winning church," on its website. "Don’t expect anything liberal, watered down, or contemporary here," it goes on to say.

At points during a video of the sermon reviewed by the Knoxville News Sentinel, Fritts screams into the microphone, advocates for police riot teams to haul off Pride participants en masse and uses multiple slurs against the LGBTQ community.

He also targeted Christians and others who support the LGBTQ community.

Fritts referenced his law enforcement career multiple times during his sermon, first telling the congregation "such arrests and executions should be carried out by our government, not Christians," pausing for laughter as he added, "unless you're a policeman." 

Fritts has worked for the Knox County government since 1999 and was named a detective of the month in 2017. 

If you cannot be both rational and polite as well as adding something to the discussion that is reasonable, then please don't post in it. Thank you for your cooperation. 

Article is LOCKED by author/seeder
[]

epistte
Junior Guide
1  seeder  epistte    5 years ago

Where in the 4 gospels did Jesus teach his followers to commit mass murder in his name? 

I was not aware that premeditated mass murder was a religious right. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1  TᵢG  replied to  epistte @1    5 years ago

It is that pesky Old Testament.

epistte
Junior Guide
1.1.1  seeder  epistte  replied to  TᵢG @1.1    5 years ago

Most people don't understand the Leviticus only applies to Levite rabbis.  They very conveniently pick and choose what passages of Leviticus that they believe and want to be enforced.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.1.2  Jack_TX  replied to  epistte @1.1.1    5 years ago
Most people don't understand the Leviticus only applies to Levite rabbis.

Don't stop there.  Most people don't understand 90% of the Bible.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.2  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  epistte @1    5 years ago

In your post above, it mentions that Fritts made a hate mongering speech for which he should indeed be not only defrocked from the Baptist Church, but also be arrested, tried, and if found guilty be fired from that Sheriff's department. That being said, I do not see any reference to Sheriff Spangler having made and hateful comments. It stated only that he agreed that Fritts be placed on leave from the department. That does not endorse what Fritts said in his sermon. If there is further info that verifies that please post it.

epistte
Junior Guide
1.2.1  seeder  epistte  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.2    5 years ago
In your post above, it mentions that Fritts made a hate mongering speech for which he should indeed be not only defrocked from the Baptist Church, but also be arrested, tried, and if found guilty be fired from that Sheriff's department. That being said, I do not see any reference to Sheriff Spangler having made and hateful comments. It stated only that he agreed that Fritts be placed on leave from the department. That does not endorse what Fritts said in his sermon. If there is further info that verifies that please post it.

He is on paid leave until the end of the month when he leaves the department. His boss had nothing to do with his sermon.

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.2.2  Dulay  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.2    5 years ago
In your post above, it mentions that Fritts made a hate mongering speech for which he should indeed be not only defrocked from the Baptist Church, but also be arrested, tried, and if found guilty be fired from that Sheriff's department.

Where does it say ANY of that should happen to Fritts? You must be reading another article or another comment.

That being said, I do not see any reference to Sheriff Spangler having made and hateful comments.

You're the only one that has mentioned him outside of the seed. 

It stated only that he agreed that Fritts be placed on leave from the department.

Actually, it states that he asked to take a buy out and he's on sick leave until July 19th. Hopefully never to return to ANY police department. 

That does not endorse what Fritts said in his sermon.

No one said he did. 

If there is further info that verifies that please post it.

You want verification of something no one said? 

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.2.3  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  epistte @1.2.1    5 years ago

My humble apologies. I was in error as I was in a hurrry and misread the title. My bad. Either way I still believe Fritts should be arrested and charged with inciting hatred and violence.

epistte
Junior Guide
1.2.4  seeder  epistte  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.2.3    5 years ago
My humble apologies. I was in error as I was in a hurrry and misread the title. My bad.

I understand because I do it almost daily. No apology is necessary. 

Either way I still believe Fritts should be arrested and charged with inciting hatred and violence.

What he said borders on domestic terroism.

I'm not sure how close this comes to being a hate crime.  According to the CUNY law website, it meets the requirement.

Hate crime laws are designed to send the message that hate and bias motivated crimes will not be tolerated, because they are often attempts to silence and instill fear into entire groups. Reporting hate related incidents helps survivors take advantage of recovery services and enables our community to build up statistics and patterns of crime, providing an opportunity of catching offenders or preventing the violence altogether.

The key criterion in determining whether or not any crime or incident fits into the definition of a hate or bias related crime is the motivation behind the incident. A hate or bias related crime is one that is motivated, at least in part, because of someone’s bias or hatred of a person’s or group’s perceived race, religion, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or other characteristic. Victims of hate and bias related crimes often have intense feelings of vulnerability, anger, depression, physical ailments, learning problems, and difficult interpersonal relations. Hate crimes also have a psychological and emotional impact that extends far beyond the victim. Attacks motivated on the basis of bias against a person’s beliefs, values or identity undermine freedom of expression, association, and assembly and tear at the pluralistic fabric of our society.

Using slurs and epithets is a way of showing someone that you believe they are less than human and undeserving of respect. Hate crimes are a way to send a message to members of certain groups or individuals that they are unwelcome in a particular neighborhood, community, school or workplace. Calling someone a name, refusing to rent them an apartment, verbal threats, vandalism, abusive phone calls and Internet hate mail are all examples of hate crimes. The most common form of bias motivated incidents on college campuses are demeaning jokes or harassing or threatening phone calls or e-mails. However, bias related physical attacks and vandalism do also occur. You can make a difference by speaking out when jokes or comments are made that are hateful or demeaning and by asking yourself if you use derogatory, degrading or offensive terms in describing others.

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.2.5  Dulay  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.2.3    5 years ago

Kudos for being a mensch. 

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.2.6  Jack_TX  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.2.3    5 years ago
Either way I still believe Fritts should be arrested and charged with inciting hatred and violence.

I don' think you want to be that much like him, so I'm betting you may reconsider this position.

Wishing for the authorities to arrest people is not actually inciting violence.

Inciting hatred isn't actually a crime.  In America, people are still entitled to their emotions and the right to voice them.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.2.7  Jack_TX  replied to  epistte @1.2.4    5 years ago
What he said borders on domestic terroism.

Oh good grief.  No.  It doesn't.  That's just ridiculous. 

I'm not sure how close this comes to being a hate crime.  According to the CUNY law website, it meets the requirement.

No.  It doesn't, and that's not what hate crimes are.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
2  FLYNAVY1    5 years ago

The bible endlessly contradicts its teachings so obviously its interpretations are just as contradictory.  It is a philosophy book worth reading, but it isn't the only book.  Other books with verifiable truths such as Darwin's "Origin of the Species", or even a simple physics book with all of the truths related to matter, mass, force, and energy are better guides to live ones life by.

luther28
Sophomore Silent
3  luther28    5 years ago

Removed for context       the incorrect title has been removed.

Although I am not quite up on the laws of Tennessee,

threat·en·ing
/ˈTHretniNG/
adjective
adjective: threatening
  1. having a hostile or deliberately frightening quality or manner.
    "her mother had received a threatening letter"
    synonyms: menacing, intimidating, bullying, frightening, terrifying, scary, fearsome, mean-looking, alarming, forbidding, baleful; More
    warning, admonitory, cautionary;
    rareminacious, minatory, minatorial, comminatory
    "her mother had received a threatening letter"
    • Law
      (of behavior) showing an intention to cause bodily harm
      I would think it the same everywhere, but I could be wrong. You would think their Sheriff might be aware that such a law exists, it is his duty to arrest himself.

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.1  Dulay  replied to  luther28 @3    5 years ago

Unfortunately, in TN, he might just get away with it based on a 'closely held religious belief'. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4  Sparty On    5 years ago

A person with that attitude does not belong in positions of power like he was.   Unfortunately LE tends to attract that sort of megalomania.  

I've known lots of great cops in my day but also more than a few pricks like this unfortunately.

Such is life ....

epistte
Junior Guide
4.1  seeder  epistte  replied to  Sparty On @4    5 years ago
A person with that attitude does not belong in positions of power like he was.   Unfortunately LE tends to attract that sort of megalomania.  

I've known lots of great cops in my day but also more than a few pricks like this unfortunately.

Such is life ....

I have to wonder how many previous roadside interactions or arrests on his part will now be thrown out because of bias? Any courtroom testimony of his that convected a person will now be reviewed or even get a retrial.

I wonder how many of his coworkers knew and looked the other way or even agreed with him?  

I hope the FBI is watching him and the church. 

lady in black
Professor Quiet
5  lady in black    5 years ago

And you wonder why faux christians are bad mouthed.....this person is a despicable poor excuse for a human being

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
5.1  SteevieGee  replied to  lady in black @5    5 years ago

I'd bet they call themselves pro-life.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
5.1.1  Freefaller  replied to  SteevieGee @5.1    5 years ago
I'd bet they call themselves pro-life

I have no doubt they are

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
6  Freefaller    5 years ago

And another lunatic crawls out of the woodwork

epistte
Junior Guide
6.1  seeder  epistte  replied to  Freefaller @6    5 years ago
And another lunatic crawls out of the woodwork

This man sounds a lot like ISIL, who threw gay people off of buildings. 

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
6.1.1  Freefaller  replied to  epistte @6.1    5 years ago

Very much so

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
7  livefreeordie    5 years ago

He should be either reprimanded or removed from his position by the Church Board (or Council of Deacons for many Baptist Churches) for his blatant false teaching of Christianity 

The Laws of Moses apply only to Jews who do not accept Christ.  They do not apply to Christians or non believing Gentiles

Christians are dead to the OT Law of Moses and alive to the New Covenant in Christ. We are called to higher righteousness than that of the 10 commandments and the rest of the Torah.

Jesus said:   “The law and the prophets were until John. Since that time the kingdom of God has been preached, and everyone is pressing into it. Luke 16:16

Romans 7:4-6

4 Therefore, my brethren, you also have become dead to the law through the body of Christ, that you may be married to another—to Him who was raised from the dead, that we should bear fruit to God. 5 For when we were in the flesh, the sinful passions which were aroused by the law were at work in our members to bear fruit to death. 6 But now we have been delivered from the law, having died to what we were held by, so that we should serve in the newness of the Spirit and not in the oldness of the letter.

Hebrews 8:7-13

7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, then no place would have been sought for a second. 8 Because finding fault with them, He says: “Behold, the days are coming, says the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah— 9 not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they did not continue in My covenant, and I disregarded them, says the Lord. 10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the Lord: I will put My laws in their mind and write them on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people. 11 None of them shall teach his neighbor, and none his brother, saying, ‘Know the Lord,’ for all shall know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them. 12 For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their lawless deeds I will remember no more.”

13 In that He says, “A new covenant,” He has made the first obsolete. Now what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away.

And it is yet far more evident if, in the likeness of Melchizedek, there arises another priest who has come, not according to the law of a fleshly commandment, but according to the power of an endless life. For He testifies: “You  are  a priest forever According to the order of Melchizedek.” For on the one hand there is an annulling of the former commandment because of its weakness and unprofitableness, for the law made nothing perfect; on the other hand, there is the bringing in of a better hope, through which we draw near to God.

Hebrews 7:15-19 

“For the law, having a shadow of the good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with these same sacrifices, which they offer continually year by year, make those who approach perfect. then He said, “Behold, I have come to do Your will,  O God.” He takes away the first that He may establish the second.”   Hebrews 10:1,9

Galatians 3:19-25

“But before faith came, we were kept under guard by the law, kept for the faith which would afterward be revealed.  Therefore the law was our tutor to bring us to Christ, that we might be justified by faith.  But after faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor.”

Galatians 3:23-25

Tell me, you who desire to be under the law, do you not hear the law? For it is written that Abraham had two sons: the one by a bondwoman, the other by a freewoman. But he who was of the bondwoman was born according to the flesh, and he of the freewoman through promise, which things are symbolic. For these are the two covenants: the one from Mount Sinai which gives birth to bondage, which is Hagar— for this Hagar is Mount Sinai in Arabia, and corresponds to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children—  but the Jerusalem above is free, which is the mother of us all. For it is written:

“Rejoice, O barren,
You who do not bear!
Break forth and shout,
You who are not in labor!
For the desolate has many more children
Than she who has a husband.”

Now we, brethren, as Isaac was, are children of promise. But, as he who was born according to the flesh then persecuted him who was born according to the Spirit, even so it is now. Nevertheless what does the Scripture say? “Cast out the bondwoman and her son, for the son of the bondwoman shall not be heir with the son of the freewoman.”  So then, brethren, we are not children of the bondwoman but of the free.”

Galatians 4:21-31

And importantly at the Council of Jerusalem (Acts 15:22-29)

Then it pleased the apostles and elders, with the whole church, to send chosen men of their own company to Antioch with Paul and Barnabas, namely, Judas who was also named Barsabas, and Silas, leading men among the brethren.

They wrote this letter by them:

The apostles, the elders, and the brethren,

To the brethren who are of the Gentiles in Antioch, Syria, and Cilicia:

Greetings.

Since we have heard that some who went out from us have troubled you with words, unsettling your souls, saying, “You must be circumcised and keep the law” —to whom we gave no suchcommandment—it seemed good to us, being assembled with one accord, to send chosen men to you with our beloved Barnabas and Paul, men who have risked their lives for the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. We have therefore sent Judas and Silas, who will also report the same things by word of mouth.  For it seemed good to the Holy Spirit, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things: that you abstain from things offered to idols, from blood, from things strangled, and Fromm sexual immorality.  If you keep yourselves from these, you will do well.

Farewell.

epistte
Junior Guide
7.1  seeder  epistte  replied to  livefreeordie @7    5 years ago

They claim to be an independent Baptist church on their Facebook page.  All are welcome,....................except LGBT people.

The All Scripture Baptist Church was founded in May 2017 and is located at 715 North Cherry Street in Knoxville, Tennessee. On its website , the church says, “We are an independent, fundamental, King James Bible only, soul-winning church. Don’t expect anything liberal, watered down, or contemporary here. We are a family integrated church, meaning children of all ages are welcome in our services.”

He sounds like such a loving and peaceful man.

In his June 2 sermon, Grayson Fritts used several slurs toward members of the LGBTQ community, calling them “f*gs,” “freaks” and animals.” He said he is “sick of sodomy being crammed down our throats.” He cited the King James Bible version of Leviticus that states, “If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.”

He said, screaming at times, “”Here’s how it should work, it shouldn’t work when we go out and we enforce the laws, because the Bible says the powers that be are ordained of God and God has instilled the power of civil government to send the police in 2019 out to these LGBT FREAKS and arrest them. Have a trial for them, and if they are convicted then they are to be put to death…do you understand that? it’s a capital crime to be carried out by our government.”

He continued, “All the pride parades, man, hey call the riot teams, we got a bunch of ’em, get the patty wagon out here, we got a bunch of ’em going to jail, we got a bunch of them we’re gonna get convicted because they’ve got their pride junk on and they’re professing what they are, they’re a filthy animal. After this onslaught, where the government’s arresting them and carrying out God’s laws and they’re all dead…you think.”

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
7.1.1  Freefaller  replied to  epistte @7.1    5 years ago
meaning children of all ages are welcome in our services.”

Of course they are, you've got to start the indoctrination early for it to take

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
7.1.2  Jack_TX  replied to  epistte @7.1    5 years ago

Sorry, I can't help but laugh....

The All Scripture Baptist Church

It's called that because apparently "Right Wing Nutjob Baptist Church" was already taken.

We are an independent, fundamental, King James Bible only, soul-winning church.

KJV only....because everyone knows Jesus spoke English with an Elizabethan accent.....

We are a family integrated church, meaning children of all ages are welcome in our services.”

Translated....we're too cheap to have a place for childcare, so bring the crying babies into the service.

He said he is “sick of sodomy being crammed down our throats.

I'm concerned he may not actually know how "sodomy" works.  Has somebody told him that it doesn't involve throats?  That throat business is a whole different kettle of fish.

because the Bible says the powers that be are ordained of God

I'm guessing he would not have said that 5 years ago.  Just a guess.

epistte
Junior Guide
7.1.3  seeder  epistte  replied to  Jack_TX @7.1.2    5 years ago

This is one of your better posts. I did know you had this level of sarcasm in you. Did you see a picture of what their church is? It appears to share a building with a bail bond company. 

I'm concerned he may not actually know how "sodomy" works.  Has somebody told him that it doesn't involve throats?  That throat business is a whole different kettle of fish.

I have to wonder about the sexual fantasies of men who say this because this is very close to psychological projection. Maybe he seeks to be dominated by another man but he just cannot come out and say it.  His hyper-macho image may also suggest this.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
7.1.4  Jack_TX  replied to  epistte @7.1.3    5 years ago
Did you see a picture of what their church is? It appears to share a building with a bail bond company. 

Haven't seen it, but I believe you.  You couldn't make that story up...jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif

I have to wonder about the sexual fantasies of men who say this because this is very close to psychological projection.

Really?   I'm sorta proud of the lack of time I spend wondering about the fantasies (sexual or otherwise) of deranged lunatics.  Maybe I'm just not that inquisitive.

Maybe he seeks to be dominated by another man but he just cannot come out and say it.  

That would also definitely fall in the category of "shit I don't want to know".   

I look at this guy like I would look at a rabid raccoon.  I don't know how it got that way, I don't care how it got that way, I don't know or care what it thinks about or what it wants for Christmas.  It's incurably hostile at this point and I don't want anything to do with it.  Eventually, it will do something it shouldn't and then the professionals will come put it down. 

epistte
Junior Guide
7.1.5  seeder  epistte  replied to  Jack_TX @7.1.4    5 years ago
Haven't seen it, but I believe you.  You couldn't make that story up...

This church appears to be a converted store or fast food restaurant, and it is shared with a bail bondsman in back.  Google maps say that there is a Planned Parenthood office across the street from the church. I've driven on I-40 less than a mile away.

That would also definitely fall in the category of "shit I don't want to know".   

I look at this guy like I would look at a rabid raccoon.  I don't know how it got that way, I don't care how it got that way, I don't know or care what it thinks about or what it wants for Christmas.  It's incurably hostile at this point and I don't want anything to do with it.  Eventually, it will do something it shouldn't and then the professionals will come put it down. 

Its just psychology. I love psychology because it helps me to understand people. When a person goes to this length to oppose something that is not a credible threat to them then you have to look into his words for hints as to what may be the underlying problem. Hyper-macho guys ranting aboyut LGBT people seem to be deep in the closet, maybe even unconsciously.   

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
7.1.6  Jack_TX  replied to  epistte @7.1.5    5 years ago
I love psychology because it helps me to understand people.

I've just met too many nutjobs along the way to be that interested anymore.

Hyper-macho guys ranting

OK...on a side note.... "hyper macho" and "ranting" are mutually exclusive.   The more somebody rants the less macho they are.

Dulay
Professor Expert
7.2  Dulay  replied to  livefreeordie @7    5 years ago

His beliefs don't seem all that different than yours LFOD. Care to explain how that diverge? 

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
7.2.1  livefreeordie  replied to  Dulay @7.2    5 years ago

I posted why his beliefs are against the teachings of Jesus and the Apostles, but the moderator removed them. 

Jesus declared a new covenant and that the Laws of Moses are obsolete to believers who follow Him

the Apostles at the Council of Jerusalem in 48 AD repeateded that teaching and admonished new believers not to listen to anyone who told them that the must keep and adhere to the Laws of Moses (Acts 15)

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
7.2.2  Freefaller  replied to  livefreeordie @7.2.1    5 years ago
I posted why his beliefs are against the teachings of Jesus and the Apostles

That's yours and your sects opinion, his and his sects opinion apparently differ

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
7.3  XXJefferson51  replied to  livefreeordie @7    5 years ago

Well said.  [Deleted]  

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
8  livefreeordie    5 years ago

Additionally 

[deleted]

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
8.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  livefreeordie @8    5 years ago

Well said.  I agree 100%.  

epistte
Junior Guide
8.1.1  seeder  epistte  replied to  XXJefferson51 @8.1    5 years ago

How do you know what he said when it was deleted long ago?

Dulay
Professor Expert
8.1.2  Dulay  replied to  epistte @8.1.1    5 years ago

Parroting.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
8.1.3  XXJefferson51  replied to  epistte @8.1.1    5 years ago

How do you know whether I saw it before?  [deleted]

devangelical
Professor Principal
8.1.4  devangelical  replied to  epistte @8.1.1    5 years ago

[deleted]

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
8.1.5  XXJefferson51  replied to  devangelical @8.1.4    5 years ago

I’ve never experienced that or anything like it.  

devangelical
Professor Principal
8.1.6  devangelical  replied to  devangelical @8.1.4    5 years ago

If you cannot be both rational and polite as well as adding something to the discussion that is reasonable, then please don't post in it. Thank you for your cooperation.

oops. oh well, 2 out of 3.

devangelical
Professor Principal
9  devangelical    5 years ago

I predict this thumper barney fife gets caught up in a lurid church sex scandal by the end of the year.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
9.1  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  devangelical @9    5 years ago

The odds of him being caught in a roadside motel with a bag of meth and a male prostitute did certainly jump dramatically with this over the top violent condemnation of homosexuality. "The lady doth protest, too much, me thinks...".

devangelical
Professor Principal
9.1.1  devangelical  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @9.1    5 years ago

their religion gets louder when they're guilty of something nefarious 

epistte
Junior Guide
10  seeder  epistte    5 years ago

This thread has run its course and is now devolving into partisan slap fights. Unless there is a reason to keep it open, I will lock it at midnight EDT June 14th.  

Dulay
Professor Expert
11  Dulay    5 years ago