Kellyanne Conway To Reporter On Hatch Act: “Can You Leave, Please?”

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  tessylo  •  5 years ago  •  9 comments

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Politics

deadline-logo-jpg_163144.jpg   Greg Evans, Deadline   14 hours ago  

White House adviser   Kellyanne Conway   is, apparently, in no mood to discuss her alleged violations of the   Hatch Act .   MSNBC   White House reporter Eamon Javers added this terrific little insider’s tidbit to the latest Conway controversy.

“I was just standing in an office in the WH press office when Kellyanne Conway came in,” Javers tweeted today. “I asked for her reaction to this. She pointed to the door and said ‘can you leave, please?’ Later, I asked her again, and she said: ‘I have no reaction. Why would I give you a reaction?'”

News broke this morning that the U.S. Office of Special Counsel – an independent government agency unrelated to the Mueller investigation – is recommending that Conway be removed from her job for repeated violations of the Hatch Act. (The Hatch Act bars federal workers from engaging in partisan politics.)

According to the OSC, Conway has repeatedly disparaged Democratic presidential candidates “while speaking in her official capacity during television interviews and on social media.”

d2504532c59b6850a3a9330880ed6c0e

The OSC’s letter continues: “Ms. Conway’s violations, if left unpunished, would send a message to all federal employees that they need not abide by the Hatch Act’s restrictions. Her actions thus erode the principal foundation of our democratic system — the rule of law.”

White House deputy press secretary Steven Groves dismissed the OSC’s reasoning as “deeply flawed” and a violation of Conway’s “constitutional rights to free speech and due process.”

Given that the president has the final say over Conway’s employment fate, her indignant non-response to MSNBC’s Javers is unsurprising. Last month, when asked about the Hatch Act by White House reporters, Conway responded, “Blah, blah, blah. If you’re trying to silence me through the Hatch Act, it’s not going to work. Let me know when the jail sentence starts.”

A sampling of today’s social media response, from pundits, politicos and a couple celebs:

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Tessylo    5 years ago

Eamon Javers Retweeted Kyle Griffin

I was just standing in an office in the WH press office when Kellyanne Conway came in. I asked for her reaction to this. She pointed to the door and said “can you leave, please?” Later, I asked her again, and she said: “I have no reaction. Why would I give you a reaction?“

Eamon Javers added,

Kyle Griffin Verified account   @ kylegriffin1
The U.S. Office of Special Counsel today sent a report to Trump finding that Kellyanne Conway violated the Hatch Act on numerous occasions. OSC recommends that she be removed from federal service. https:// bit.ly/2MWrSXM  
9:12 AM - 13 Jun 2019

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2  seeder  Tessylo    5 years ago
Debra-Messing-003WIND_normal.jpg
Debra Messing
@DebraMessing

@ kellyanneConway If you have any integrity, you would resign. A Trump appointee refused to withdraw the recommendation that you be fired because your breach of the Hatch Act was so egregious & incessant. I think your husband would agree.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3  seeder  Tessylo    5 years ago
DqKNeMaJ_normal.jpg
Manu Raju
@mkraju

Elijah Cummings on Kellyanne Conway: “Complying with the law is not optional. President Trump should terminate Ms. Conway’s employment immediately in light of these dozens of violations of federal law.“

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4  seeder  Tessylo    5 years ago
SSd1CBtm_normal.jpg
Rick Wilson
@TheRickWilson

Kellyanne Conway will not be fired over this Hatch Act business.

Continued violations of the law are a feature, not a bug, and will be rewarded, not punished.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5  seeder  Tessylo    5 years ago
3O1qePzP_normal.jpeg
Ted Lieu
@tedlieu

Kellyanne Conway didn't just violate the Hatch Act once, she broke the law multiple times. @ KellyannePolls needs to resign her government position. If she wants to be a partisan hack, she should be paid by the @ realDonaldTrump campaign, not by taxpayers.

Alex Mallin
@alex_mallin

Wow. The Office of Special Counsel finds that @ KellyannePolls repeatedly violated the Hatch Act and **is recommending her removal from federal service.**

D88_X7uXsAEreLI?format=jpg&name=small
D88_X7vXUAAHief?format=jpg&name=360x360

Ender
Professor Principal
6  Ender    5 years ago

She will not be fired and they don't care. She will be defended.

I keep saying that they are breaking norms and bending laws. It will not be until trump is no longer in charge that they will scream and complain about what is happening as it is only ok when they do it.

By then it will be to late.

luther28
Sophomore Silent
7  luther28    5 years ago

“Can You Leave, Please?”

An apt response from the reporter may have been: You first!